k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

No Caption Provided

It's time for our Character of the Month's final Battle of the Week (click here to be awesome and vote for the next CotM)! Scott Summers, a.k.a. Cyclops, had a pretty intense time in this weekly segment. He barely defeated Wolverine, lost against Nightwing & Robin, and beat Ninjak. There were a lot of options we were considering for the X-Man's final opponent, but readers kept suggesting one character: Remy LeBeau, a.k.a. Gambit. So, why not be nice and give the people what they want, right? Read the rules, do some research and then cast your vote! The poll's open until Friday morning (PT), so that's more than enough time to think this one through and show a character a ton of love and support.

Gambit's advantages: mutant power allows him to turn any object into an explosive projectile-- he can control the amount of force behind the blasts -- and throw said objects with impressive accuracy; power also allows him to set traps; above human level agility and reflexes; very skilled in savate and stick fighting; willing to use dirty and cheap tactics.

Cyclops' advantages: accurate, concussive optic blasts which can be fired at a range of different power levels and can even be ricocheted; an incredibly gifted tactical mind; praiseworthy melee capabilities which focus on countering and throws.

No Caption Provided

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (aka no prep for either side).
  • Cyclops' powers are pre-AvX and Gambit has 2 decks of cards as well as his bo staff.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 25 feet apart and visible. However, there is a good amount of cover in the location (parked vehicles, bus stops and such) and the entire area is on limits (alleys, rooftops, building interiors, the sewer, etc).
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.
No Caption Provided

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner Arguments for both characters.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Want to suggest a match for an upcoming Battle of the Week for Cyclops? Tell us below or share it via twitter.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gracetrack

Thank you, Gregg! This is going to be epic. :)

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Oh this is a close one, surely there's a history of them fighting? Will research!

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I think poll may be broken it let me vote twice

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops would beat a Gambit in character. Gambit doesn't take fighting really seriously and given Cyke experience of analyzing Gambit fighting style, if he can tag Nightcrawler, Gambit isnt much of a problem IMO.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By amazing_webhead

I forget, is Gambit still a "Summers brother" suspect or not? Sinister never said there were only 3, just more than 2.

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambit stomps.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gracetrack

@cheesesticks said:

Cyclops would beat a Gambit in character. Gambit doesn't take fighting really seriously and given Cyke experience of analyzing Gambit fighting style, if he can tag Nightcrawler, Gambit isnt much of a problem IMO.

I don't know. Gambit's an agile little monkey he is. Quick too. I've seen him perform some pretty amazing feats of evasion and whatnot. It's almost as if he has a sixth sense when it comes to that sort of thing. Also, he's got long range versatility and trap setting that someone like Nightcrawler doesn't have.

Avatar image for immortalteknique
ImmortalTeknique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'll go Gambit on this one. He's got a lot of tricks in his bag. He's quick, agile, not too shabby at H2H, can set traps or throw whatever's laying around, and can charge his bo for kinetic powered strikes. If Scott forces him to play the long range Gambit would probably eventually lose but otherwise I think Gambit takes it.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambit would definitely thief this win from Cyke. The environment is going to be an explosive mess

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesesticks said:

I don't know. Gambit's an agile little monkey he is. Quick too. I've seen him perform some pretty amazing feats of evasion and whatnot. It's almost as if he has a sixth sense when it comes to that sort of thing. Also, he's got long range versatility and trap setting that someone like Nightcrawler doesn't have.

I might be a bit biaised, but Cyclops tagged Nightcrawler many times with perfection calculation of his teleportation and Kurt is IMO more agile and quicker than Gambit. Gambit is obviously another style than Nightcrawler because of his power, this could be a problem for Cyke. But, overall, Cyke startegic mind, especially with a long member of the X-Men, is pretty much what puts him over Gambit IMO. He defeated his teammate pretty easily Uncanny X-Men 175 (I think that was 175)

Might have to wait and see some other viners arguing. Might change my mind after that.

pastepotpete1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pastepotpete1

Cyclops

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I give this to Cyclops easily. Since a lot of Gambit's initial moves will be throwing charged playing cards, I'm guessing Cyclops will shoot those down before they get to him (I can imagine they can only be thrown so hard/fast). In hand to hand he just has the staff, but I don't think he'll be able to get that close. Granted Gambit can charge a lot of things around him, but as stated before, Cyclops can easily ricochet shots and destroy things around him. Perhaps I underestimate Gambit, but I never found him very formidable.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gracetrack

@idontlikebirds: When he's being serious, or not getting shafted by writers (ala AvX style), Gambit if very formidable.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

TOO CLOSE TO CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TOO CLOSE TO CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY SO EXCITED????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, even though cyclops has become a firm fave in my book over the last 2 yrs im goin to have to go with Gambit!!! he was my first favourite super hero ever since the x men animated series, plus people forget how agile he is when he choses to be, and he had the balls to take on the shiar and Gladiator for fook sake!!! I mean, come on, respect!!

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I had a compelling argument to make for Cyclops.

But I don't.

Simple truth, my X-Wife loved Gambit and that's enough of a reason for me to never ever vote for him on anything. Call me bitter if you like, I can take your scorn.

Cyke for me. Sorry Remy.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambit is more faster, better,and more agile than Cyclops. Gambit for the win.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DarthAznable

The guy with the hot girlfriend..wait

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Early on this fight is a easy win for Cyclops. But the longer it goes on the more Gambit becomes the obvious choice. The ability to set explosive traps and attack from a distance means that if he can get cover long enough he can easily lure Cyclops into taking a wrong step close a kinetic charged object. But even then if Gambit is visible for a second, or Cyclops catches on to his plan he can get hit and put down....hard

I'm going with Too close to call, because Cyke could take the early win by predicting Gambits opening "gambit" or a sudden win if Gambit doesn't perfectly set him up or he sees through the tactics of his teammate. But Gambit can take it as well since he has a power set that allows him to hit from a distance, use playing cards and the environment as IED'S and can arguably double stalemate it. Plus this is a fight where I doubt Cyke will even use mid level blast for fear of giving Gambit more debris to work with.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But I don't.

Simple truth, my X-Wife loved Gambit and that's enough of a reason for me to never ever vote for him on anything. Call me bitter if you like, I can take your scorn.

Cyke for me. Sorry Remy.

Wow....Wouldn't it be easy to just not vote?

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@madeinbangladesh said:

WHY SO EXCITED????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cdw101

@zzombie13:

Ha Ha! brilliant that made me laugh! the biatch ;)

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But I don't.

Cyke for me. Sorry Remy.

No Caption Provided

You're a boss bruh!

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops in character should win a slight majority against Gambit as tagging him once should be enough to stop him and then "finish"him. By contrast, Gambit best way to avoid this scenario it would be to go all in (out of character reaction) to overpower Cyclops abilities to blast whatever Gambit throws at him. As this option has been removed by the OP, Gambit will have, for this fight, to mainly count on his agility, that is real but that won't be enough most of the time.

Cyclops, 55-60% of the wins in my opinion.

tchalla3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be close do to the set of abilities displayed, but Cyclops should take this, though it will be close. The interesting thing about this fight is that they know each others moves, but Cyclops has a more in depth knowledge of Gambits fighting style due to him leading Gambit into battle. Couple this with the fact that Cyclops has a better tactical mind (which allows him to see the big picture), the fight shouldn't be that long. The charged up cards will be a problem, but a deflection from the optic blast should suffice. Due to the optic blast, Gambit would not be able to get in close, but if he does, Cyclops has been trained to fight multiple enemies, and has fought people with a superior fighting skill than Gambit, thus Gambit shouldn't be an issue hand to hand, but it won't be easy. My money is on Cyclops.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@zzombie13 said:

But I don't.

Cyke for me. Sorry Remy.

Wow....Wouldn't it be easy to just not vote?

No, I do actually like Cyke. He's among my favorite mutants easily. Probably top 3 if I bothered to rate them. (Iceman being No.1).

I just don't have the guile to pretend that there are some feats or actions that make me like him better than Gambit when the truth is I'm kinda petty where X-Wife is concerned.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zzombie13: But the point of the poll is to vote on who would hypothetically win a fight if they fought...It shouldn't matter who likes which character....

Avatar image for ocareyinfluence
ocareyinfluence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A close fight but I think it would go to Cyclops. Gambit is probably a bit better in close combat and would have the advantage w/ a charged staff if he can close the gap. But ultimatley Gambit is for too cocky and likely to play games, where no-nonsense Cyclops isn't going to get roped in to the cajun's distractions. Cyclops also studies up on his fellow X-men, he knows Gambit better than Gambit knows him.

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jaybefre

Cyclops. This is a very easy fight for him. He recently beat Wolverine in a poll on here and Wolverine jobs Gambit on a regular basis. Cyclops > Wolverine > Gambit.

Everybody wants to talk about H2H but ask yourself would you really want to go H2H with a guy who could obliterate you with a glance? IMO, close range favors Cyclops. Let's not forget, he's not a bad H2H fighter either. Not saying he would easily dispatch Gambit but it's by no means a stomp for Gambit as some members are saying or thinking that it is.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Going with Cyke. I just don't see Remy beating all that skill and experience...

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops. He's just better.

Joker13CSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Joker13CSC

Gambit should take this quite easy. He know that cyke knows all about him and that he will try to land a blast on him as quick as he can. What makes you think Gambit is gonna go in there with the same fighting sense as he usaully does? Gambit will pull out some tricks he learned in the thiefs guild and quickly take care of cyclops. The setting is a perfect place for Remy to sneek around without being noticed and lay some traps around the battle field. Also Gambit has a little of knowledge on how cyke fights as well and could use his weaknesses against him. But lets break it down:

• Speed-Gambit
  • Agility-Gambit
  • Strength-Cyclops
  • Durability-Gambit
  • Stratigic Mind-Cyclops
  • Reflex-Gambit
  • Energy Projection-Gambit
  • Fighting Skills-Gambit
  • Accuracy-Cyclops
  • Intelligence-Cyclops

Gambit is better in 6 of the 10 categories and while being more accurate may be good, it doesn't really matter when the guy you are fighting has an endless amount of things he can throw at you. Not to mention that every card detonates with the force of a grenade and depending on how much he charges his staff he can level buildings with one hit. Remy can also go toe to toe with the best of them (not including the PIS in AvX).

No Caption Provided

Gambit fighting Blade to a draw before they go home as buddies.

No Caption Provided

Gambit Going blow for blow with DD which eneded up as a stalemate.

No Caption Provided

Gambit dodging Iron mans beams from barely 5 feet away and then tagging him in the chest.

No Caption Provided

And everyones favorite, Gambit laying out Gladiator (a low confidence Gladiator but Gladiator non to less)

Gambit can also dodge bullets and scale several stories of a building in a matter of seconds. Provided all this can someone tell me how Scott still wins?

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By DrF8

Oh, man. Gambit all the way

browell3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By browell3

I have to go Gambit on this one. I think we can all agree that Gambit is faster (bullet time), more agile, and a better hand to hand fighter. I think their physical strength is pretty similar but if it comes down to it, Gambit would win in fisticuffs.

This battle is going to come down to powers though. Cyclops has the edge in brute force and does well against durable non-evasive opponents (Sentinels, Hulk, Juggernaut) but I don't think he performs as well against agile dodgers. He nailed Nightcrawler but he knew where he would appear and the blast was waiting for NC as soon as he did re-appear so evasion was not an option.

Gambit can and would dodge optic blasts unless they were point blank. Cyclops is not evasive. He would be reliant on shooting down the projectiles for defense. I think Cyclops would have to take his attention of Gambit allowing the thief to get the advantage.

I see them both unleashing their powers at the start, and I would go as far as to say Cyclops could/would blast Gambits cards while in mid-flight.This is where Gambit would take the advantage though. The dust and confusion from unleashing such powers benefits Gambit and his elusiveness. I think once Cyclops loses sight (heh) of his opponent, he would have a hard time relocating him. Time delayed charged objects, attacking from the shadows, and we can't overlook the potency of a fully charged deck of cards (I'm looking at you Gladiator) lets Gambit edge out a victory.

Cyclops is the better leader and strategist, but in a RANDOM encounter in a SOLO battle in a downtown setting at NIGHT all favors Gambit.

Theorder14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Theorder14

Gambit pwns

Joker13CSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's interesting to me how Gambit is clearly being debated for better than cyke but people just ignore all the facts that prove Remy can beat Scott in a fight. It's kind of sad how Gambit is low balled all the time on here.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

kinda a toss up but with his ability to absorb energy perhaps cyclops? but want to give it to gambit but have to objective (on a fan site? say what???!!!)

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 owie  Moderator

Any evidence out there of what happens if Cyke hits one of Remy's charged cards with an optic blast? I would assume it would explode in mid-air? Just thinking over the options right now.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aros001

Ok, I'm going to have to give it to Gambit here. His agility would allow him to dodge a majority of Cyclops's beams and get it close enough to land some good hits with his bow staff. Even if Cyclops did take out Gambit's decks and staff, they're fighting in a generic downtown city setting, which is filled with items Gambit could charge. If it was an open field, it'd be a different story, but Gambit has the advantage in the city.

Theoretically, Cyclops could do a wide range burst like he did to a sentinel. With such a wide range there'd be no way for Gambit to dodge and he'd be taken down instantly.

No Caption Provided

But given that both are in character, there's no way that Cyclops would use this level of force against a living being that could not survive it. This also means that Gambit would not charge his weapons to the point where it would kill Cyclops. So, to me, this battle seems to come down to who is more likely to knock the other out or beat them into retreating. Gambit's charges and Cyclops's beams can be argued for either one if either takes a direct hit, but Gambit seems very likely to avoid the beams well enough to get in close enough to Cyclops to fight hand-to-hand (or bow staff-to-face). Cyclops is not helpless in hand-to-hand combat, but Gambit's agility gives him a huge advantage.

terror_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops is a main eventer and Gambit is an upper mid-carder at best. Gotta go with the leader yo.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: I would say that Cyclops has just as much of an advantage in a city setting. He's more than a little talented in ricocheting his beams and a city is just filled with flat surfaces and right angles. He's gonna have a field day lighting up entire blocks with beams.

Agent_Murdoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion this is an extremely close fight. One that under normal circumstances would be too close to call, but there is a single factor that really makes the difference.

Both Remy and Scott are masters of ranged attacks and hand to hand fighting. Although I don't have scans, I'm sure there would be very few people who disagree with that statement. If these two guys were to have these exact same skills and powers and never have known each other before this fight would come down to a single lucky factor. The thing is, they do know each other, and for Remy it is still a huge advantage, it's really Scott who could, and would use his knowledge of Gambit to his advantage.

Gambit is oftentimes at his best when you just allow him to do his own thing and not really worry about the rest of his teammates, but Cyclops is always analyzing, therorizing and testing his team's limits so that he can work more efficiently with them or if he has to, take them down. Which, in this case, he does have to do.

Cyclops should be able to pull out a tight win here due to not much other than he knows Gambit's fighting styles better than Gambit knows his. If Scott plays this right, he could shoot down everything Remy throws at him and be able to take him out without this fight ever having to come down to fisticuffs, where Remy should have a slight edge.

Long story short, Scott should take this roughly 65% of the time if he isn't messing around; and if this is the Cyclops we've been seeing since Schism, he wont be.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Gambit

DeawonCDelaney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to go against Cyclops these days and even we are talking about pre AVX, Scott was a do whatever it takes individual, Gambit even though a scoundrel had a heart, Scott has become a prick lmao. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Summers Protocols like Xavier had his protocols

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Speed-Gambit
  • Agility-Gambit
  • Strength-Cyclops
  • Durability-Gambit
  • Stratigic Mind-Cyclops
  • Reflex-Gambit
  • Energy Projection-Gambit
  • Fighting Skills-Gambit
  • Accuracy-Cyclops

What makes Gambit more durable? Oh, and what do you mean by 'energy projection'? If we mean the same, I'd say they're about even in that category.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#48 god_spawn  Moderator

Not surprised with some of these posts already.

On topic, Scott should take Remy 7-8/10 at the least but this isn't easy for either of them. I'll get an argument up later. Or just copy from my CaV with Kidman.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49 Lunacyde  Moderator

GAMBIT....GAMBIT....GAMBIT

I've been waiting for this match-up.

DeawonCDelaney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to go against Cyclops these days and even we are talking about pre AVX, Scott was a do whatever it takes individual, Gambit even though a scoundrel had a heart, Scott has become a prick lmao. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Summers Protocols like Xavier had his protocols