• 118 results
Posted by emperorthanos- (16576 posts) 1 year, 10 days ago

Poll: Battle of the Week: Blue Marvel vs Gladiator (90 votes)

Blue Marvel 42%
Gladiator 51%
Too Close to Call 7%
No Caption Provided

This week we have a battle between two of Marvel's supermen. With Gladiator taking on Blue Marvel

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear. 616 Versions for both.
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the votes aren't going how they should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#3 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6570 posts) - - Show Bio

Question who decides battle of the week??

#4 Posted by emperorthanos- (16576 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16806 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna back Blue Marvel here.

#6 Edited by TheWatcherKing (18459 posts) - - Show Bio

I will back Gladiator until someone posts Blue Marvel's feats.

#7 Posted by Grinningf0x (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue marvel

#8 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna need to think about which overrated Superman clone beats the other lol.

#9 Posted by uugieboogie (13234 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Gonna need to think about which overrated Superman clone beats the other lol.

What makes Blue Marvel a Superman clone?

OT: Maybe Gladiator for a slim majority. I could be convinced otherwise.

#10 Posted by Cergic (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie: If you ask in general, nothing makes BM a Supes clone in my opinion

#11 Posted by Rockette (5932 posts) - - Show Bio

Kallark ftw. Little contest here.

#12 Posted by EmpressOfDread (12367 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator should have a speed advantage here unless I am missing something, so according to me Gladiator should be able to blitz Blue Marvel and win this. From what I have seen about Gladiator his striking is ok if not consistent.

#13 Edited by BlessedbyHorus (6320 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue Marvel has a much better win/lose ratio compared to Gladiator.

Lastly I don't know what makes Blue Marvel a Superman clone or overrated especially? Seriously?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
#14 Posted by deactivated-5b5405244e89c (8376 posts) - - Show Bio

So normal confidence levels for Gladiator ?

#15 Posted by SuperGoku17 (7220 posts) - - Show Bio

What makes Blue Marvel a clone of Clark?

Diffenet powersets and origins

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
#16 Posted by deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00 (10000 posts) - - Show Bio

I will back Gladiator until someone posts Blue Marvel's feats.

#17 Posted by comic_book_fan (11517 posts) - - Show Bio

gladiator

#18 Posted by KanyeCosby (7176 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue Marvel is total trash. Gladiator has way more feats, so he should win pretty easily.

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
#19 Posted by termiteone4ever (12855 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue Marvel is a pretty cool superhero but Glads should have this. I wish Marvel would do more with BM

#20 Posted by dondave (41753 posts) - - Show Bio

@rockette said:

Kallark ftw. Little contest here.

#21 Posted by oceanmaster21 (15363 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator ftw

#22 Posted by Batvibe12 (5720 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for blackpantherisb
#23 Posted by blackpantherisb (7259 posts) - - Show Bio

Glads wins.

#24 Posted by KingGuinness (1893 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue Marvel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
#25 Posted by deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4 (18365 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator

#26 Posted by shirso (4409 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator should win this.

#27 Posted by CryoModeste (1344 posts) - - Show Bio

BM

#28 Posted by MightyKalEl (2209 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator IMO.

#29 Posted by emperorthanos- (16576 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's get some arguments people. Hard to pick an argument of the week with 2-3 word answers

#30 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16806 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator should have a speed advantage here unless I am missing something, so according to me Gladiator should be able to blitz Blue Marvel and win this.

What? Even assuming Gladiator has a speed advantage(which I doubt), that doesn't immediately equate to speedblitzing. Gladiator has also never successfully speedblitzed his opponents in a fight. Usually it's just bullrushes, and even that has been intercepted successfully by a weakened Hulk and FemThor. Basically, Gladiator isn't winning via sheer speed here when even a brick like Colossus can hang with him in a brawl.

On topic: I'm honestly not sure how Gladiator is gonna win this. He and Marvel are on par in pretty much every physical category, and I'd wager Marvel is even stronger given he has a more consistent track-record. Adam is also smarter and more versatile. His Anti-Matter based energy projection can be used in a variety of ways. He can shield himself from Gladiator's heat vision, like he did against King Hyperion:

Age of Heroes #3
Age of Heroes #3

His Concussive blasts are powerful enough to make Captain Marvel go binary:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2
Ultimates #1

He can trap beings in his projections, such as when he contained the Shaper of Worlds' ghost:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3
Ultimates II #2

This is just a ghost of the Shaper, and he did require an amp from Monica, but this is a "cosmic cube come to life", according to T'Challa, so it's definitely packing power. It should prove effective against Gladiator, as well.

Glads has no worthwhile advantage, while BM at least has some decent energy projection that can be used in a myriad of ways on top of rivalling physical stats.

There, I made a short "argument". @emperorthanos- ^_^

#31 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie: @cergic@king_stranglehold_da_firstFrom an interview Kevin Grievoux gave with MTV:

Grevioux says he first had the idea for the character as a child, when he realized that "in the panoply of powerful superheroes out there like Thor, Superman and Shazam!, there was never really a comparable black superhero who was both iconic and could vie with them on that upper-echelon physical level. And I always wondered, if there was, how would this black superhero be perceived?"

So there was an intention to create a black Superman with Blue Marvel's development.

#32 Edited by EmpressOfDread (12367 posts) - - Show Bio

@wollfmyth209: cool like I said, I have seen gladiator blitz. I'll try to make a counter as soon as I get home.

#33 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16806 posts) - - Show Bio

@empressofdread: Alright, cool. Just, before we start this debate, I just wanna know what do define as speedblitzing. I don't think speedblitzing a character is just bullrushing them(which is what Kallark always does). Instead I view it as completely overwhelming someone with sheer speed.

#34 Posted by Nathaniel_Adam (3756 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator wins.

#36 Posted by EmpressOfDread (12367 posts) - - Show Bio

@wollfmyth209: I still have not reached home.I'm shopping and will take time 4 plus hours at least . But For me speed blitzing is using your speed in any sort of way before your opponenet can react and use it to your advantage. If you take someone to the Sun in seconds and throw or punch somone out of the atmosohere and back in one second before the guy can catch his breath its speed blitzing.

#37 Edited by uugieboogie (13234 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@uugieboogie: @cergic@king_stranglehold_da_firstFrom an interview Kevin Grievoux gave with MTV:

Grevioux says he first had the idea for the character as a child, when he realized that "in the panoply of powerful superheroes out there like Thor, Superman and Shazam!, there was never really a comparable black superhero who was both iconic and could vie with them on that upper-echelon physical level. And I always wondered, if there was, how would this black superhero be perceived?"

So there was an intention to create a black Superman with Blue Marvel's development.

It doesn't seem the intention was to make a black Superman, it seems the intention was to make a black hero on that level of power. They even mention two other heroes (Thor and Shazam) in the same sentence as Superman. Other than flight, super strength and a cape (which he no longer wears IIRC) he has nothing comparable to Clark at all to be considered a clone. Glads, Hyperion and Sentry can be called "clones" but I never understood why people called Blue Marvel one.

Edit: This is a bit off-topic, didn't to derail the thread.

#38 Posted by BlessedbyHorus (6320 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Uh... No I suggest you read his statement again. What he is basically saying is that there are hardly any quality Black powerhouses in comics. And so he created the Blue Marvel as a way to diversify characters on that powerlevel. Its basically, "hey, there is now a Black character that can hang with the likes of Thor, Superman, Shazam or Sentry!" This is unless you think Thor is a Superman clone...

#39 Posted by BlessedbyHorus (6320 posts) - - Show Bio

@wollfmyth209:

Good post and I like your argument. I would argue for Blue Marvel like you're doing but saving my energy for my CAV I have using Blue Marvel. Thanks for the additional scans I can use.

#40 Posted by Enigma-Force (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

He also mentioned Thor and Shazam... He's talking about iconic superheroes with that level of strength.

#41 Posted by Kingant27 (16911 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol at the Blue Marvel haters on this thread if people actually went by feats and not there bias feats would show that Gladiator just about beat 712 Hyperion but were matched physically, whereas King Hyperion was toying with 712 Hyperion which shows he is a league above Gladiator.

Blue Marvel beat King Hyperion.

Blue Marvel>King Hyperion>Gladiator.

Blue Marvel has the Anti-Matter, Force fields and can easily match physically, solid win for him but Gladiator gives him hell.

#42 Posted by BlessedbyHorus (6320 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol at the Blue Marvel haters on this thread if people actually went by feats and not there bias feats would show that Gladiator just about beat 712 Hyperion but were matched physically, whereas King Hyperion was toying with 712 Hyperion which shows he is a league above Gladiator.

Blue Marvel beat King Hyperion.

Blue Marvel>King Hyperion>Gladiator.

Blue Marvel has the Anti-Matter, Force fields and can easily match physically, solid win for him but Gladiator gives him hell.

People are going to call this ABC logic but agreed. Like I said Blue Marvel has a much better w/l ratio than Gladiator. He is much more consistent than Gladiator.

#43 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16806 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16369 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by Eeef (2120 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Edited by EmpressOfDread (12367 posts) - - Show Bio

@wollfmyth209:

EDIT: Alright I'm back and ready to engage.

He can trap beings in his projections, such as when he contained the Shaper of Worlds' ghost:

I don't know in the scans "Shaper of Worlds" is stating himself to have been omnipotent. Looks like an outlier or not a battle "standard feat". This is all to impressive by Blue Marvel standard is all I mean.

Gladiator's heat vision, like he did against King Hyperion:

He did it. I see but Gladiators heat vision has gone straight through Hulk, now I know here Hulk is slightly weaker as confirmed by Hulks fans. But this is still impressive you see Hulk is admitting that HV going through his insides is bound to kill him. Now I consider Hulk to be above these characters a showing like this against him is still impressive this level of HV will kill Blue Marvel if he is not shielding himself. Also I don't think he can dodge Gladiators HV but you can show me his speed or reaction if he can do it.

No Caption Provided

It has been stated to be as hotter than a Star.

About that speed thing Gladiator is better than Blue Marvel in using his speed. That is all that matters, he does not need get Superman level reflexes punching 50000 times in one second is not required. As long as he uses his speed to his advantage he should be able to blitz.

Considering the fact that he has used his super speed reflexes before.

No Caption Provided

Also he has used his speed without involving much with reflexes. This means as long as he is faster than Blue Marvel he will blitz. Which I think he is by a lot considering he has travelled FTL speeds in space.

No Caption Provided

He was able to physically uproot the Baxter building and physically shattered a a large planetoid d using fists alone so yeah he is strong.

His Concussive blasts are powerful enough to make Captain Marvel go binary

Gladiator no sold Binary's attack and KOd her in one punch.

No Caption Provided

Also I think Gladiator is more durable, you seem to know much about Blue Marvel you can prove otherwise, Neither of these characters are of my interest but I think Gladiator should win so making an argument here.

. He and Marvel are on par in pretty much every physical category, and I'd wager Marvel is even stronger given he has a more consistent track-record.

I agree on this Gladiator is not consistent. But however there are guys in fiction who have worst win loss ratio but are still stronger obviously than some characters with better win/loss ratio. Gladiator should win since he has speed, heat vision and striking power.

#47 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16806 posts) - - Show Bio

@empressofdread: Oh, I thought we were just discussing speed. I made the rest of my post separate from my reply to you, but if you wanna debate it entirely, I'm down.

#48 Posted by EmpressOfDread (12367 posts) - - Show Bio

@wollfmyth209: oh, alright I see.

Anyway my opinion is that Gladiator is not a speed reflex master but a lot of marvel characters are not. There is no comparing him to other DC level speedsters who abuse their speed in combat but since these two are from the same universe we can make a case for Gladiator blitzing since he has done it, unless of course it was contradicted by feats like Glads not being able to blitz Hulk.

#49 Posted by DoctorDaMn (942 posts) - - Show Bio

@empressofdread: If Quicksilver while running as fast as radio waves couldn't blitz hulk, why would you expect kallark to?

#50 Edited by EmpressOfDread (12367 posts) - - Show Bio

@doctordamn: I don't think you are making a good comparison lol, so you wont expect Superman be able to blitz Thanos just because he is fast. Due to Thanos's durability he will tag him and KO him. I don't see how QS could ever put the Hulk down. EDIT: I don't think Quicksilver has fast reflexes though. Compared to speedsters that I was talking about.