Avatar image for deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6
#1 Posted by deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6 (2795 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Post-Crisis Batman with standard gear
  • Composite Beholder (all editions)
  • Batman gets five minutes to read about Beholders on his computer before one appears in the Batcave with the intent to kill him. He has to fight it himself without help from any defense systems or any weapons or devices he can't carry on his person.
  • Win by kill or KO
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6
#2 Edited by deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6 (2795 posts) - - Show Bio

@causeimbatman I'm curious what you think of this. The Beholder has ten eye beams that all have different hax effects albeit some of them seem redundant. It also sees in every direction and can see in darkness.

#3 Edited by tparks (11663 posts) - - Show Bio

I’d like to think Batman has something to deal with a Beholder, but I’m not confident. Batman would be maybe a level 3 Fighter, at best, in D&D, and I don’t think any of his tech is that OP. It’s hard to picture someone that weak (by comparison, not saying Bruce is weak) soloing a Beholder.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57
#4 Edited by deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57 (4213 posts) - - Show Bio

What are Beholder’s stats?

#5 Posted by cooljammy18 (2228 posts) - - Show Bio

One disintegration beam is all it takes.

#6 Edited by tparks (11663 posts) - - Show Bio

@causeimbatman: They are giant floating heads with several eyes on tentacles that can fire different beam of magic. The beholder can fire any three beams at a time, and I think it’s capable of firing 6 beams per 6 seconds, or 1 beam every second.

The beams all bypass armor.

They all have different effects including

Death

Sleep

Paralysis

Wounds

Disintegration

Hypnosis

Flesh to stone

And a few more I can’t remember. They’re intelligent creatures too.

They can be a quick party wipe for mid level dnd teams.

#7 Edited by decaf_wizard (16521 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks said:

@causeimbatman: They are giant floating heads with several eyes on tentacles that can fire different beam of magic. The beholder can fire any three beams at a time, and I think it’s capable of firing 6 beams per 6 seconds, or 1 beam every second.

The beams all bypass armor.

They all have different effects including

Death

Sleep

Paralysis

Wounds

Disintegration

Hypnosis

Flesh to stone

And a few more I can’t remember. They’re intelligent creatures too.

They can be a quick party wipe for mid level dnd teams.

Heavily depends on the party in question. Beholders are for the most part glass cannons, especially lore wise, and on their own are not much of an issue for a 10th level+ party of 6

Beholders are also beyond arrogant

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57
#8 Posted by deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57 (4213 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks: what are their physicals like?

#9 Posted by comic_book_fan (10527 posts) - - Show Bio

batman wins you don't attack him in his cave.

#10 Posted by Drache64 (1228 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman clears with relative ease. The beholder's biggest thing is his magic negation. Which Batman doesn't use magic. As long as Batman stays within the beholder's big eye sight, it can only attempt to bite him, which... Good freaking luck.

So I say Batman has more than enough agility to stay in the magic negation sight cone, and has more than enough nonmagical gear to easily cripple the beholder.

#11 Posted by tparks (11663 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by decaf_wizard (16521 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks said:

@decaf_wizard: I consider 5-7th level as mid level

Well thats only if you consider post 15 endgame which I really don't. Sure a bunch of 5th level's will lose to a beholder but that isn't saying much

Also a level 3 cleric can solo a Tarrasque. Balance is a bit off in that game, I have seen a party of 7th level anyways beat far worse than a Beholder.

#13 Edited by tparks (11663 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard: Its actually saying a lot, at least for this thread. Characters aren’t supposed to be street level by time they are 5th level. They’re only supposed to be street level until level 3-4 at the most. There are times when characters aren’t even supposed to be street level at level 1. And we’re talking about a single street leveler with Batman, compared to a party of 4-6 mid-plus tier characters that we’re comparing Batman alone to.

And nearly every official campaign is written for levels beyond 15th to be end-game. There are hardly any campaigns that are written for characters to have not completed their campaign by time they get to level 20, because they can easily stomp any challenge that comes their way by then.

But I agree, post-15th is very fun to continue playing in, but it normally requires Home-brew rules to keep it any sort of a challenge.

#14 Edited by decaf_wizard (16521 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks said:

@decaf_wizard: Its actually saying a lot, at least for this thread. Characters aren’t supposed to be street level by time they are 5th level. They’re only supposed to be street level until level 3-4 at the most. There are times when characters aren’t even supposed to be street level at level 1. And we’re talking about a single street leveler with Batman, compared to a party of 4-6 mid-plus tier characters that we’re comparing Batman alone to.

And nearly every official campaign is written for levels beyond 15th to be end-game. There are hardly any campaigns that are written for characters to have not completed their campaign by time they get to level 20, because they can easily stomp any challenge that comes their way by then.

But I agree, post-15th is very fun to continue playing in, but it normally requires Home-brew rules to keep it any sort of a challenge.

Pretty much everybody uses homebrew in 5e though. Like for example I keep Ancient and Elder Dragons spellcasters. In 3.5, post 15 was still super challenging with just splatbooks. This edition is dumbed down, feats are bad, spellcasting got slaughtered and melee classes are boring and weak post 11. All the Adventure League modules are dumb easy after 15th level

Characters are street tier until about level 7-8 IMO

#15 Edited by azrael1973 (2433 posts) - - Show Bio

No way that batman is 3rd level as someone suggested. He is at least 20th level. He gained tons of experience points. I used to play a lot of D&D and it was already stated in the beginning that HP are like Karma. So someone who has a lot of Hit Points means that he gets a small wound instead of a potentially lethal one because he dodged not because he tanked it. And Batmans Stats are probably all peak human. All 18 in the old System.

#16 Posted by tparks (11663 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard: 5-7, 7-8? still pretty close for what I’m trying to get at. It’s above where I believe a character like Batman would fall. By time you’re at 7, a physical character will be quite superhuman, and a magical character will have some pretty powerful spells. Even if you still view them as street tier, they are still at a level beyond Batman IMO. Maybe not Batman with prep in his cave like this scenario, but well beyond Batman in a random battle.

And give 5e time, it will get just as bonkers as every other edition by time all of the add-on material comes out.