• Deathstroke has his Promethium armor
  • In Character
  • Start 10ft apart

No Caption Provided

#3 Posted by reaverlation (25883 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke

Avatar image for deactivated-5c443c2a6994d
#4 Edited by deactivated-5c443c2a6994d (494 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, Batman. Slade might be more tactical, more durable and definitely dwarfs him in the lifting-strength and reaction timing speed departments but Batman has everything else (striking power, combat speed, resilience, acrobatic skills, adaptability, and most importantly, fighting skills). They can probably manage each other’s laundry list of equipment but I think Bruce’s set is more relevant to throwing Slade off-balance, at least.

#5 Posted by King-Ragnar (4228 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#6 Posted by Fetts (6243 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, Batman. Slade might be more tactical, more durable and definitely dwarfs him in the lifting-strength and reaction timing speed departments but Batman has everything else (striking power, combat speed, resilience, acrobatic skills, adaptability, and most importantly, fighting skills). They can probably manage each other’s laundry list of equipment but I think Bruce’s set is more relevant to throwing Slade off-balance, at least.

I can't say for Rebirth Deathstroke, but with New-52 Deathstroke, I'd argue that his speed (travel and combat) are greater than Batman's. The guy's speed blitzed black ops mercenaries from 30 feet away and made nine individual sword strokes before a single gunman surrounding him could pull the trigger.

In fact, strictly speaking in regards to reaction speed, I might say Batman's reaction speed is better than Deathstroke's. While he is a bullet-timer, Batman has far more quality and quantity in terms of feats. New-52 Deathstroke has a tendency to tank more than his Pre-52 counterpart, due to the high-impact resilient nature of Nth Metal armor.

Avatar image for elijah_c_washington
#7 Posted by Elijah_C_Washington (4618 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd still go with Slade, personally. The only area post-Flashpoint falls short of his New Earth counterpart as I see it is skill, and he's still very formidable therein. If he doesn't give Bruce the chance to trip him up with more raw skill like under Wolfman, then this is going about the same way as their encounter in Detective Comics #710.

#8 Posted by Supermanthor (20464 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

Avatar image for myleftbuttcheeksolos
#9 Posted by Myleftbuttcheeksolos (408 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke

#10 Edited by deactivated-5c443c2a6994d (494 posts) - - Show Bio

@fetts:

I can't say for Rebirth Deathstroke, but with New-52 Deathstroke, I'd argue that his speed (travel and combat) are greater than Batman's. The guy's speed blitzed black ops mercenaries from 30 feet away and made nine individual sword strokes before a single gunman surrounding him could pull the trigger.

This is impressive, especially that second faster-than-eyesight showing in Resurrection man, but frankly isn't as impressive when taking into account the average Batman tier street-level feat. Even Red Hood was capable of accomplishing similar fodder-blitzing feats, even prior-league of assassin training he effortlessly blitzed a room full of Mafia gangsters. Whereas regarding outright faster-than-eyesight, Batman pulled a full 360, disarmed a whole group of Yakuza assaliants' guns, somehow appeared on the top of the roof-top despite previously being on the street, and dropped the guns, while maintaining a casual conversation at the same time, faster than the gang could even react, faster than they can notice, faster than they could see. For a better perspective, here is the scan, from Batman: Gotham Knights #28. This is, overall, a much more impressive feat than what Slade has pulled off, at least from my knowledge of Post-Flashpoint, having read all of his appearances.

No Caption Provided

In fact, strictly speaking in regards to reaction speed, I might say Batman's reaction speed is better than Deathstroke's. While he is a bullet-timer, Batman has far more quality and quantity in terms of feats. New-52 Deathstroke has a tendency to tank more than his Pre-52 counterpart, due to the high-impact resilient nature of Nth Metal armor.

I don't know about that. Post-Flashpoint Deathstroke shooting a mach 4 to 5 surface to air missile out of the air even from a range, effortlessly slicing hoards of assault rifle fire from 3 different angles and directions by swinging his swords seven different times then murdering the shooters at faster than eyesight at the same time, or his feat of weaving through turret fire with ease at the end of New 52 Arrow, seem to be far more impressive than Batman. Bruce's only genuinely impressive bullet-timing feat would be punching a machine gun bullet out of the air in Peter Milligan's Batman Confidential arc, but even that pales to what Slade has pulled off. Batman's only consistent "quantity." is high-level arrow and rocket timing, but Slade has done that too, consistently as well given his share of appearances in comparison to Post-Crisis Btaman.

X.

#11 Posted by Morpheus_ (34517 posts) - - Show Bio

N52/Rebirth Slade has failed to defeat a considerably inferior Batman in 4 separate encounters. Post-Crisis Bruce would probably school him.

#12 Posted by Elijah_C_Washington (4618 posts) - - Show Bio

Whether or not Slade does pull a majority, which I concede he may not, I definitely disagree with Bruce boasting superior combat speed. I don't believe either of the showings Fetts mentioned are his best feats. To me, his first fight with Deadline is much better than the yakuza feat.

Finally, we arrive at Rebirth. About a year ago in issue #16 of Priest-Stroke, Deathstroke took on Deadline, a metahuman himself, and a number of his goons. He actually runs up to Kyle and stuns him with the blast stick while blocking a shot of his with his elbow, gets back in the air before he collided with the table Slade sent him into, and skillfully incapacitates five of his men all the while a lunging K-9 unit remains suspended in midair. He then reacts to the Infinity Rifle which Tanya Spears Power Girl failed to accomplish on the subsequent page despite having slapped bullets out of the airin the issue prior. Again, this feat becomes increasingly impressive after taking a look at the full context: not only was he managing a conversation with the Ikon suit's built-in artificial intelligence, but he also previously announced himself, giving all these men fair and decent warning.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/cav-king-ragnar-vs-elijah-washington-redux-1973704/?page=1#js-message-20915659

I consider post-Flashpoint Deathstroke as physically equal to his New Earth self if not superior in some categories, meaning I disagree with Bruce holding any advantages in stats, but I don't want to argue all that out. Take from this what you will. IMO if Batman wins, it's due to skill.

#13 Posted by Elijah_C_Washington (4618 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Aqualion0 (2147 posts) - - Show Bio

DS.

#15 Posted by Morpheus_ (34517 posts) - - Show Bio

Realistically, even this Batman shouldn't be able to do much to Slade. He's not stronger or faster, he is far from being more durable and his incredible fighting skill has benefitted him greatly against other expert combatants, but have rarely given him the upper hand against good fighters who also happen to be his physical superiors.

That being said, for some reason Bendis, King, Daniel and Priest himself had this version of Slade unable to drop an inferior Bruce (most of those fights are subject to extraneous circumstances, but still), even though his strength should be within the range to accomplish it and his durability should be much too high for Batman to hurt him or even try to wear him down gradually.

It doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

#16 Edited by deactivated-5c443c2a6994d (494 posts) - - Show Bio

@elijah_c_washington: Which part of the feat actually impresses you? I don’t think the part with reacting to Deadline’s blast is particularly valid for a few reasons, but we both agree that Slade, on average, has way better reflexes regardless, and you did say he “reacted” to the blast, so it can’t be that that’s combat speed. Whereas the rest of the feat seems quite average from what I’m seeing.

Batman’s FTE feat seems much more impressive to me. By the way, stats aren’t the main reason I think this Batman beats Slade. I could elaborate on this heavily - he just seems proficient enough overall to defeat Deathstroke, especially the way he uses his gear.

#17 Posted by Elijah_C_Washington (4618 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: I can see where you're coming from, but with a little more scrutiny, I come off viewing Slade as superior in all those encounters, save for King which was just flat-out PIS. He was weakened physically and, perhaps more importantly, hindered skill-wise under Daniel and he still essentially defeated or otherwise outfought Batman by the end of the issue. Under Bendis and Priest, he already had exactly what he needed to keep him off-balance and got murked as soon as Slade manipulated him into coming in too close. Otherwise, fighting evenly with a prepped Batman with nothing but a combat knife demonstrates a destinct edge to Slade, as far as I can tell. Moreover, his strength was shown to be wholly insufficient to damage Slade in the first issue of the Deathstroke vs Batman arc, as he seemingly doesn't even feel Bruce nabbing him out of the air and choking him with a chain.

#18 Posted by comic_book_fan (11566 posts) - - Show Bio

batman

#19 Posted by Morpheus_ (34517 posts) - - Show Bio

@elijah_c_washington: I don't really object to anything you said, I just feel Slade should have capitalized on his superiority in a more convincing manner in some of those fights (Priest, Bendis and maybe even Daniel). With King, eh. The man is incompetent so I don't have any expectations.

#20 Posted by Elijah_C_Washington (4618 posts) - - Show Bio

@lanternbatman: Not the blast part. The first two scans: stunning Deadline and nonlethally dispatching all his men while the dog remains suspended midair. It's more impressive to me for two reasons, basically:

1. Deadline himself has superhuman reflexes.
  2. He's taking out less men, but he's moving all around the room to do it.

I just see Deathstroke as someone notably all around superior to most other street-level metahumans physically, and by a decent margin. Not to the level of say, Spider-Man or Gorgon; more like a Black Panther or Sabretooth kind of deal. Anything up to par with that is going to put the New-52/ Rebirth version up to par with his classic self, thus above Bruce.

#21 Posted by Elijah_C_Washington (4618 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by deactivated-5c443c2a6994d (494 posts) - - Show Bio

@elijah_c_washington: It would be understandably impressive if Slade performed all this while the lunging dog stayed suspended mid air unable to move an inch but that’s not the case. Slade managed to stun Deadline WHILE the dog was lunging at one of his men, then in a panel wherein we don’t see the dog’s position Slade moves across the room to incapacitate a few men, fast forward next panel and the dog is trying to bite the guy while Slade is incapacitating them. I think you’re overanalyzing the feat. Whereas Batman pulled a full 360, somehow appeared on a roof top and dropped the guns before the six Yakuza could even see or notice - that is immense, and clear-cut. And it is not even Bruce’s best feat.

How impressive are Deadline’s reflexes? But if we want to draw character vs. character comparisons, Bruce has plenty of that as well. Perfectly dancing between Nightwing’s attacks for a six-page long fight to the point it’s stated “this is impossible...he can’t land a punch.” or even crossing several feet and attacking Ra’s al ghul before he could even react to the degree his speed is highlighted in the panel and Ra’s explicitly notes his speed, come to mind. They might not be metahumans but feats (that I can mention) do show more.

I agree with that. I just don’t consider his Post-Flashpoint self that fast regarding combat speed specifically, even less on par with his Pre-52 self, who I have really high views on in that area.

#23 Posted by King-Ragnar (4228 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump