Batman Battle of the Month VOTING: Batman Beyond vs. Ultimate Spider-Man

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Batman Battle of the Month VOTING: Batman Beyond vs. Ultimate Spider-Man (478 votes)

Terry McGinnis (Batman) 64%
Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider-Man) 31%
Too close to call 4%

"A 'Batman Battle of the Month' without Bruce Wayne? What kind of madness is this I see on my computer screen?"

Every other month, the Dark Knight will get some much needed R&R in this segment. While he's catching some sleep or finally getting around to a movie he's been waiting to watch, another character from the Batman universe -- be it ally or enemy -- will step up to the plate in this segment and square off against a non-DC character in a random encounter. This month, we thought we'd kick the rotation off with something really special: future Batman vs. alternate universe Spider-Man. Morales or McGinnis? Who are you siding with and why, Viners? Read all of the rules below (seriously, it takes less than a minute) and then feel free to cast your vote or post an argument.

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character (this means regular morals apply).
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, etc.
  • Both characters have standard gear.
  • Terry doesn't have anyone in his ear to give advice nor can he call upon vehicles (it's not future Gotham, after all).
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

If you have a moment, please vote in this poll and speak your mind. I'm always looking to keep this segment fun and I have plenty of ideas for it that I'd like to propose over time. Your input is greatly appreciated. Seriously, I mean that.

Also, feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

• 
god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#151 god_spawn  Moderator

@jashro44: Which seems fair. I think a case could be made for either party. Terry does have means to get some distance, at least for a brief period of time. Like if he tried to jet off, Miles could web him back, but that still allows moments for him to think. Terry can be quick witted when he wants to be, and he has some tricks that I think could be useful. The suit can heat up to 4000 degree, something he has used to hurt Micron and get out of an iceblock. And aside from the batarangs, he uses the taser quite a bit sometimes. And it was enough to drop and stun Big Barda for a few moments. He doesn't exactly need to aim it or hit you with his hands. It covers the whole suit and it could be used for defense in conjunction with his durability to get in a major offensive move. Miles hits him and zap. He has other gear, but due to the one off times he uses it, some of them won't be a factor, or may be used once. He had sonics the suit could generate that cut copper off of people, and he has displayed tear gas he can deploy from his wings. The only problem is really his character which is him mostly fighting in melee or batarangs.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Terry has way more experience than Miles. He has so many different ways to take Miles down its ludicrous. Miles just can't win this.

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By BrokenSpear

@patrat18 said:

Terry has way more experience than Miles. He has so many different ways to take Miles down its ludicrous. Miles just can't win this.

I'm sure Electro thought the same thing right before Miles took him down.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rugrat said:

no prep... no advice..

...how does terry win. experience. skill. Miles is spider man's reincarnate with 6th sense and paralyzing venom.... this is a pretty even battle ,but the more popular character is Terry. I just think that Miles should be backed up a bit more than 30%.

Thank you. You would think this was a mismatch looking at those polls. ]

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By patrat18

@patrat18 said:

I'm sure Electro thought the same thing right before Miles took him down.

The same Electro who got shot by Aunt may? You can't compare them at all.

Agony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

^^^^ hahahahaha exactly

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By BrokenSpear

@patrat18:

=] That was funny, i gotta check that one out, i love when aunt may does her thing.

Electro still made quick work of iron man though and he got shot multiple times by hawkeye without batting an eye. It doesn't matter if you're a hero or a villain you're gonna have at least one low showing.

Sure miles isn't a seasoned veteran but he's had some nice showings in battle, he has a solid chin and he always manages to put his opponent down, in fact i don't think he's lost one battle since the infamous satellite knockout when he was fighting jessica.

He has just the right combination of fearlessness, luck and innate skill; combine that with his physicals and throw in that venom blast of his and he has the goods to put up a decent fight in many situations.

Trust the k4tzm4ns judgement on this one, it's a lot closer than you're makin it out to be.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brokenspear: Before this becomes a full on debate. Do you read Batman beyond?

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18:

Nah, i read Godspawns post about his comic book showings though and i watched the batman beyond series in it's entirety a couple of weeks ago. I factored in his increased experience as best as i could, but even with that there still doesn't seem to be much of a difference in regards to his fighting style.

I was actually set to vote for terry, but since i have a marvel account i decided to read up on miles and found myself pleasantly surprised.

I understand why people are voting for terry, and i could probably craft a compelling post for him to win under different circumstances, but due to terry's fighting style i think a random encounter favors miles far too much.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By patrat18

@brokenspear: I really think you should start. He really have alot of gadgets to put Miles down. And alot of different ways to take him out. If they both had prep Terry would stomp. I've kept up with both books.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Shawnbaby

I've completely given up on any poll-based battles even these "Batman Battle of the week" ones. It doesn't matter how much thought K4tz puts into these...polls are popularity contests. Polls will tell you that Wolverine beats Lobo, Storm Beats Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man beats Superboy. As soon as you put a poll in the battle...you take away the obligation to think.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've completely given up on any poll-based battles even these "Batman Battle of the week" ones. It doesn't matter how much thought K4tz puts into these...polls are popularity contests. Polls will tell you that Wolverine beats Lobo, Storm Beats Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man beats Superboy. As soon as you put a poll in the battle...you take away the obligation to think.

The polls don't really matter its mostly the discussion that does.

@jashro44: Which seems fair. I think a case could be made for either party. Terry does have means to get some distance, at least for a brief period of time. Like if he tried to jet off, Miles could web him back, but that still allows moments for him to think. Terry can be quick witted when he wants to be, and he has some tricks that I think could be useful. The suit can heat up to 4000 degree, something he has used to hurt Micron and get out of an iceblock. And aside from the batarangs, he uses the taser quite a bit sometimes. And it was enough to drop and stun Big Barda for a few moments. He doesn't exactly need to aim it or hit you with his hands. It covers the whole suit and it could be used for defense in conjunction with his durability to get in a major offensive move. Miles hits him and zap. He has other gear, but due to the one off times he uses it, some of them won't be a factor, or may be used once. He had sonics the suit could generate that cut copper off of people, and he has displayed tear gas he can deploy from his wings. The only problem is really his character which is him mostly fighting in melee or batarangs.

Yea I was also thinking of how Terry would try to fight miles? He is just a kid. I kind of think he would go a bit easy on him (at least at first).

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#163  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@jashro44: To be fair, Miles is in a mask and suit. Terry doesn't know he is a kid, and the only thing he could judge off of that is size. But Terry faces teenagers on a regular basis, particularly meaning the Jokers, and he whips them. But an unknown opponent, he might at first. But then he will realize how fast and strong this kid and probably go from there, and he will either make his attacks count, or Terry gets beat on with physicals, webbing, venom sting, etc.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Shawnbaby

@jashro44: That's part of my point...most of the people that vote don't take part in the discussion. 415 votes...161 posts. And a lot of people that post do so more than once. There's probably close to 300 votes without posts.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By jashro44

@jashro44: That's part of my point...most of the people that vote don't take part in the discussion. 415 votes...161 posts. And a lot of people that post do so more than once. There's probably close to 300 votes without posts.

So? Just don't focus on the pole and ignore it. Pretend this is a normal battle thread.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: At least Miles has had more support here in the discussion. I guess that is what counts.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: At least Miles has had more support here in the discussion. I guess that is what counts.

Pretty much. These battles are just for fun. The argument of the week is mainly just there to inspire people to think things through.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: I just hate seeing Ultimate Characters get down played. Most Marvel movies are base on Ultimate Comics, yet the characters from Ultimate Verse get crapped on on the battle forums.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Shawnbaby

@jashro44: I just hate seeing Ultimate Characters get down played. Most Marvel movies are base on Ultimate Comics, yet the characters from Ultimate Verse get crapped on on the battle forums.

Actually the movies are kind of like a mix of both 616 and Ultimate

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Pokergeist

@shawnbaby: Yes, however, know one ever realizes Robert Downy Jr. was a purpose joke in the Ultimate Comics before Jr. was cast for the Iron Man Movie. Same with Nick Fury being Samuel L Jackson.

They also heavily borrowed Costume themes from the Ultimate Line Up like Hawkeye, Black Widow (Whos outfit in Ultimates was way better than 616), as well many other themes. No one notices that stuff at all and think it was pulled from a hat.

Even the Avengers initial Line Up was more true to Ultimates initial Line Up than 616 Avengers. Cap, Hawkeye, Wasp, Thor, IM, and Hulk. All part of the initial Ultimate Line Up with Giant Man being the only one missing.

Also the Movie version of Avengers was funded by Shield from the get go. Just like the Ultimates and not the 616 Avengers who relied o Tony from the get go and never fully run by the government :/.

No one notices these thing lol.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: Yes, however, know one ever realizes Robert Downy Jr. was a purpose joke in the Ultimate Comics before Jr. was cast for the Iron Man Movie. Same with Nick Fury being Samuel L Jackson.

They also heavily borrowed Costume themes from the Ultimate Line Up like Hawkeye, Black Widow (Whos outfit in Ultimates was way better than 616), as well many other themes. No one notices that stuff at all and think it was pulled from a hat.

Even the Avengers initial Line Up was more true to Ultimates initial Line Up than 616 Avengers. Cap, Hawkeye, Wasp, Thor, IM, and Hulk. All part of the initial Ultimate Line Up with Giant Man being the only one missing.

Also the Movie version of Avengers was funded by Shield from the get go. Just like the Ultimates and not the 616 Avengers who relied o Tony from the get go and never fully run by the government :/.

No one notices these thing lol.

Black Widow and Hawkeye look like Ultimates. Iron Man and Captain America look like 616. Thor looks kind of like a mash-up of both. Hulk is Hulk.

The Characters act more like the 616 versions than the Ultimate versions. Bruce Banner especially.

The Avengers have been government sponsored at times. And I'd challenge that point that the Avengers were ever under Fury's control in the movie. He brought them together...but they spent most of the movie ignoring his orders.

Maria Hill is 616.

Wasp, Thor, Iron Man, and Hulk were all original avengers. And they were formed to stop Loki. Captain America wasn't a founding member...but he joined up in issue 4.

SHIELD's Base of Operations is the Helicarrier...not the Triskelion. Straight up 616.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: actually Captain America in the first movie looked and acted (he shot people left and right ) like Ultimate Captain America. Also Ultimates operated from the Helicarrier 90% of the comics.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: actually Captain America in the first movie looked and acted (he shot people left and right ) like Ultimate Captain America. Also Ultimates operated from the Helicarrier 90% of the comics.

Captain America Shot People in WW2 in 616 as well. That's not something they invented in the Ultimates.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: show me one scan of 616 killing someone intentionally. He never does and most people believe he never has.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: show me one scan of 616 killing someone intentionally. He never does and most people believe he never has.

In WW2 he killed lots of people. It's only as a superhero that he doesn't kill.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Miles. His book is awesome. I think you guys don't read Batman beyond because he's not really part of the new 52. Miles just can't win here. I haven't seen an argument yet that says he would.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@cadencev2 said:

Steve has no problem killing as a superhero. He was bred to be a soldier. I frankly do not know where people picked up the idea that he has a no kill code. Is he moralistic? Yes, but he's not Batman or anything of that ilk.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Pokergeist

@wolverine08 said:

@shawnbaby said:

@cadencev2 said:

Steve has no problem killing as a superhero. He was bred to be a soldier. I frankly do not know where people picked up the idea that he has a no kill code. Is he moralistic? Yes, but he's not Batman or anything of that ilk.

Then can you show me one scan where he kills someone. Please. Its easy to say "He is a Soldier" yet I have 20 Scans of Ultimate Cap killing a target or planning the death of a foe. 616 Cap, not seen one scan.....

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Pokergeist

@patrat18 said:

I love Miles. His book is awesome. I think you guys don't read Batman beyond because he's not really part of the new 52. Miles just can't win here. I haven't seen an argument yet that says he would.

I have not seen a argument or Scans Spam that says Terry could.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18 said:

Really i've seen plenty. In particular Gspawns.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Pokergeist

@patrat18 said:

@cadencev2 said:

@patrat18 said:

Nothing that convinces me, or nothing Miles has not dealt with already. I guess that makes us see different views. Like all the others who debated for Miles.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@shawnbaby said:

@cadencev2 said:

Then can you show me one scan where he kills someone. Please. Its easy to say "He is a Soldier" yet I have 20 Scans of Ultimate Cap killing a target or planning the death of a foe. 616 Cap, not seen one scan.....

616 Cap just isn't kill happy like Ultimate Cap.

Here you go. Sharon Carter notes how Steve's reckless actions killed one of their enemies, and Steve isn't bothered.

No Caption Provided

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: You proved my point!

He never meant to kill someone. That was just cause of his reckless actions, not him intentionally taking a life.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats not true. Steve has killed before.

Bucky confirming Steve used fire arms, flame throwers, and grenades in WW2.

@slimj87d@veshark Probably have some instances of using lethal force. I believe he killed those super soldiers when he was depowered as well all though I don't remember (I know he did use a shot gun). I believe it was shown in Brubakers run that Steve did kill in war.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Wolverine008

@cadencev2: What? Sharon called his actions which led to people dying reckless, but Steve shrugged it off as him doing his job. If he had a kill code, he would have wallowing about killing people. Plus, he killed a group of super soldiers with a fire extinguisher once when he was depowered...

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@cadencev2:

I still stick to my "too close to call" vote, but I would have voted Miles if I thought people were going to downplay him so much...

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18 said:

@cadencev2 said:

@patrat18 said:

Nothing that convinces me, or nothing Miles has not dealt with already. I guess that makes us see different views. Like all the others who debated for Miles.

Ok.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By slimj87d

@jashro44 said:

@cadencev2 said:

@slimj87d@veshark Probably have some instances of using lethal force. I believe he killed those super soldiers when he was depowered as well all though I don't remember (I know he did use a shot gun). I believe it was shown in Brubakers run that Steve did kill in war.

He killed a vampire =/, lol.

No Caption Provided

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By slimj87d

He never meant to kill someone. That was just cause of his reckless actions, not him intentionally taking a life.

You're back huh? You little punk! YOu can't leave for long! HAHAHAHAH!

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Pokergeist

@slimj87d said:

@jashro44 said:

@cadencev2 said:

He killed a vampire =/, lol.

No Caption Provided

So we have, he carried guns with reluctance, but never flat out stated or shown to kill with them. Then Killing a Undead.... My point stands. He does not kill at all really.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@cadencev2 said:

You're back huh? You little punk! YOu can't leave for long! HAHAHAHAH!

I only needed a break to focus on school and family. then I gradually came back in. I honestly wanted to stay off till January, but I was so bored and too poor to go out and do anything :/

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@wolverine08:

I haven't read this whole thing about Cap but, are we saying it's wrong for a soldier to not show remorse for engagement with an enemy threat?

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cadencev2: I don't see how he could possibly use a grenade to wound someone...Or a flame thrower.

@slimj87d I thought it was stated in Brubakers run he killed Nazi's?

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Pokergeist

@jashro44 said:

@cadencev2: I don't see how he could possibly use a grenade to wound someone...Or a flame thrower.

It never stated he used them at all. only carried them. I carried a 9mm or M-16 most of my time in the Navy, never used them....

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By slimj87d

I don't know... I'd have to go through Volume 1-3, the classic age, and that would take FOREVER to see if he has killed anyone.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: It's subjective. One person might view the soldier as a bastard for killing his enemy, while another might view him as a hero.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

I don't know... I'd have to go through Volume 1-3, the classic age, and that would take FOREVER to see if he has killed anyone.

Let me know ASAP!

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

I'm trying to think through all volumes. I usually have a good recollection of Brubakers run but I can't think of anywhere of him saying he killed Nazis.