• 67 results
#1 Posted by Arcus1 (27774 posts) - - Show Bio

Kemurikage Azula:

No Caption Provided

VS

Metalbending Toph:

No Caption Provided

Toph and Azula are two of ATLA's best benders, but when they do battle, who will win?

Feats for both from the comics are valid. This includes Azula's recent feats from Smoke and Shadow Part 3 (hence the Kemurikage)

Fight takes place at the Earth and Fire Refinery. Time is noon. Starting distance is 50 feet

Both are in character. Victory by ko or death

Who wins?

Bonus Round:

In this round, Toph has the help of her three metalbending students: Ho Tun, Penga, and the Dark One

Azula has the help of three Kemurikage warriors (the firebending ones)

Who wins?

#3 Posted by Koays (11260 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, completely forgot about smoke and shadow after issue 1.

#4 Posted by Arcus1 (27774 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

Damn, completely forgot about smoke and shadow after issue 1.

Haha nice

Azula comes back

Avatar image for justicethorpsylocke
#5 Posted by justicethorpsylocke (3073 posts) - - Show Bio

Feats for Azula?

#6 Posted by Arcus1 (27774 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by Sean12345 (440 posts) - - Show Bio

So she learned lightning redirection huh? Some pretty commendable agility feats as well.

I didn't get a copy of Smoke & Shadow, is her psychosis still affecting her battle prowess @arcus1?

#8 Posted by LlehDevil (7259 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1: Does Toph get earthbending?

#9 Edited by Koays (11260 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1: lol jesus Christ, she just dropped Zuko and Ty Lee...as Captain of the Azula Overhype Squad, I demand a recount of all the Zuko vs Azula threads.

#10 Posted by LlehDevil (7259 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: If you're referring to the scans above (thanks Arcus), I wouldn't say she dropped him, he pretty much got right back up.

#11 Posted by Koays (11260 posts) - - Show Bio

@llehdevil: Lol I assumed as much. But do you realize how many threads with Zuko and Azula on opposite sides had people basically saying "Their about even, Azula is better at these 20 things, but Zuko has redirection".

I mean it's not that bad, but as far as the Avatar battles were concerned Azula was getting oneshotted by any character with redirection.

#12 Posted by LlehDevil (7259 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: Yeah, that's really true.

#13 Posted by Arcus1 (27774 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah

So she learned lightning redirection huh? Some pretty commendable agility feats as well.

I didn't get a copy of Smoke & Shadow, is her psychosis still affecting her battle prowess @arcus1?

Nope. She's probably the best we've ever seen her

#14 Edited by LlehDevil (7259 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1 said:
@llehdevil said:

Yeah

I'll say Toph loses the first because Azula has almost-instant lightning, Toph won't expect it so once she get's fried, Azula bombards with fired cqc attacks. I'll side with Toph for bonus for greater power and versatility in numbers in the bonus rounds. She reacted to Combustion Man (when he ambushed the gaang at one point) I believe without her even knowing he was in the vicinity (I think), and reacted to Dai Li, one of the best reacter-fodder possibly in the Avatar-verse. Spectacular battle man.

#15 Posted by GothamCiti (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting developments...

I need to read more Avatar comics :p

#16 Posted by LlehDevil (7259 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by GothamCiti (2890 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Gizmorino (6317 posts) - - Show Bio

I really need to go read smoke and shadow

#19 Posted by Arcus1 (27774 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#20 Posted by Arcus1 (27774 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#21 Posted by Jacthripper (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula, Toph struggles to land hits on someone as agile as Azula, as we've already seen.

#22 Posted by Arcus1 (27774 posts) - - Show Bio

@jacthripper: to be fair, she only attacked Azula once when they met under Black Sun

#23 Edited by Jacthripper (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1 said:

@jacthripper: to be fair, she only attacked Azula once when they met under Black Sun

And she only actually tagged Azula when the latter had to move from a standstill to attempting to kill Sokka. Remember that she couldn't touch Azula with any of her larger attacks, and that was without bending. With bending, Azula is easily too mobile for Toph to touch, similarly to how Aang was able to defeat her in their first encounter. In this case, her best hope is metalbending gives her the element of surprise.

#24 Posted by Arcus1 (27774 posts) - - Show Bio

@jacthripper: yeah, but it's not like Azula evaded multiple attacks from Toph, or even her best attacks. It was just one attack. Azula's agility will be a problem, but even so she's not as light footed as Aang

#25 Posted by Jacthripper (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1 said:

@jacthripper: yeah, but it's not like Azula evaded multiple attacks from Toph, or even her best attacks. It was just one attack. Azula's agility will be a problem, but even so she's not as light footed as Aang

But we do in fact see her use acrobatics as a standard in her combat style, albeit not as much as Aang or Ty Lee, but she remains one of the most mobile fighters. It's pretty normal to see her increase her speed by shooting flames behind her, and the like, so she can indeed use that to her advantage. Additionally, Toph can't really dodge lightning effectively, since she doesn't know whether Azula is using fire or lightning, that's a major disadvantage.

#27 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26954 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1: You mean that Toph only has metalbending and Azula only has Smoke and Shadow feats? I'm confused. Could you explain it a little more please?

#28 Posted by Arcus1 (27774 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000: basically just current versions. All feats. Was giving some idea of the more significant differences they had in the comics in case people didn't know

#29 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26954 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1: Oh, ok. Well, I still believe they are equal to death :P Noon doesn't help firebending (Unless you mean there is sun out) so it's still equal. The environment does help Metal Bending but it's not really an amazing thing in battle. Considering Azula's crazy mode is out now, she has a little slight edge of winning because instant lightning is pretty incredible. Azula always seemed to have no problem dominating Aang against earthbending attacks (The Drill, The Crossroads of Destiny), but Aang is not at Toph's level at all. Lightning was still shown to break through Toph's shields easily (The Chase) and instant one makes it easier. I'll go with Azula 6/10 just because of this.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
#30 Posted by echostarlord117 (5615 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula wins via being fine as hell. 8)

#31 Posted by wbr17 (3516 posts) - - Show Bio

Kamurikage wins via venom smoke.

#35 Posted by LlehDevil (7259 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph loses both rounds. Metalbending itself is not enough.

#38 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26954 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph loses both rounds. Metalbending itself is not enough.

Toph also has earthebending although it's not clear in the op.

#39 Posted by Turncoat (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula by electrocution

#41 Posted by Oparu (477 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1: How dare you not tag me?

Azula's quick charge lightning is a joke, even mooks dodge it. Her charged lightning is too slow. Toph beats her silly with this:

No Caption Provided

Metal armor ftw.

Avatar image for raimundopedrosa
#42 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (732 posts) - - Show Bio

This should actually be very interesting. Both have improved vastly. Azula has learned to fight more fluidly like a waterbender and Toph has learned to fight more airborne and agile like an airbender.

I call 50/50. They're just both too damn good. Azula is plenty agile, but Toph by this point has tagged Aang, located Appa thousands of feet above her based on just his sound, and launched herself with earthbending accurate enough to pinpoint Appa's location and land her exactly on his back. So, Azula is agile, but not even close to agile enough to let that be a factor in this fight, when Toph can tag Aang and Appa.

Luckily for Azula, agility is obviously not her only strength; she can shoot lightning, and much faster than ever before. Toph has insanely strong earthbending defenses that should neutralize Azula's lightning and, combined with metalbending, she should be able to stop Azula's attacks there too somewhat lol.

Ultimately, I see the fight like this: Toph bends the ground beneath Azula, forcing the princess to jump in the air. Toph, with her insanely good hearing, locates the princess and launches rocks at her, causing Azula to fight defensively and possibly even get tagged by a rock. Toph manages to conjure up some metal against Azula, as Azula shoots lightning. The lightning weirdly splits in half due to the metal and electrocutes both Toph and Azula, knocking them unconscious.

Regardless, though, this is a really good matchup haha great choice! I really had to think it through for this one and, of course, my answer is not perfect haha.

#43 Posted by Silverrings (5452 posts) - - Show Bio

Judging by what i've seen of them from the comics it seems like Toph got the bigger boost, but that's just from what i happen to have seen. She could definitely physical wreck Azula with metal or stone armour, the latter being the safer option due to Azula's lightening, but it'd be hard to tag her as she's so agile.

#44 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (732 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: If you're referring to the scans above (thanks Arcus), I wouldn't say she dropped him, he pretty much got right back up.

Well, Aang did cushion Zuko's fall for him with airbending, so I still consider it a drop :P Of course, Azula does fight more aggressively than Zuko does overall, who's become more mature and restrained with time. I don't think that she'd quite drop him like she did in a full blown fight to the death, but she should indeed take it 6/10.

#45 Edited by ANTHP2000 (26954 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverrings: I don't think Toph got a bigger boost than instant ilghtning, lightning sphere and lightning redirection Azula. Azula's lightning was already seen destroying Toph's giant shield. But anyway, Azula is the most skilled lightningbender in both ATLAS and LOK right now. I don't think Toph did that much. It's still extremely close but Azula most probably takes this. She was pretty even with Toph by the end of Book 3. Kerumikage gets the upper hand.
Also, this:

No Caption Provided

At the end of the day though, I'd say it's a stalemate but I can make an easier case for Azula breaking through Toph's defences than Toph hurting her.

#46 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (732 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph got really, really good at landing on airborne objects and sensing things like an airbender. She even tagged Aang. Azula is agile, but she will not be too agile for Toph to handle at all; it's her blue fire and lightning that will be the problem, but given how damn precise Toph got with her earthbending and how well honed her metalbending has become, this will be an even battle that could go either way.