• Katara (8)
  • Bolin (7)

Perks:

• 2 Extra Character Points (8)
  • Water Pouch (2)
  • Perfect Teamwork (5)
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Tournament Rules

• 3 posts each with a 14 day limit per post. You will be bumped after 7 days. Extensions may be allowed if you tell me and your opponent before the 14 day limit is over.
  • Victory by death, KO, or incap only. No BFR.
  • Standard Gear
  • Everyone is in character but determined to win
  • All feats are allowed (shows and comics)
  • Prep can only be used to strategize, plan, and affect the battlefield. No outside help is allowed.
  • Everyone is in their most standard versions (i.e. Toph is as she appears in Season 3 of TLA, not an old lady like in LoK Season 4)
  • Bloodbending is prohibited, but everything else goes.
  • Assume that the gear of your opponents are made out of pure platinum and thus cannot be controlled via metalbending. You can still control/manipulate you and your team's own gear though.
  • Teamwork is a factor (i.e. Amon and Mako wouldn't willingly work together)

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/avatar-pyp-tournament-2019-full-2005929/#124

Voting Rules

• Only the two participants are allowed to debate
  • If you want to be tagged to vote at the end, say "T4V"
  • Vote for whoever was the best debater, or who convinced you more, not for which team you think would win
  • Make sure to provide reasoning for your vote
  • Votes based on obvious character bias will not be counted
  • Be respectful, honourable, and civil

Battlefield

Every fight will take place in the Crystal Catacombs. Starting distance is 30 feet.

No Caption Provided

Best of luck!

#3 Posted by WhoWillWin (225 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by thebuckaronatr (1986 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Edited by WhoWillWin (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebuckaronatr: Will do

I have never started a PYP before, but I will try it out

#6 Posted by geekryan (5487 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by geekryan (5487 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by WhoWillWin (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebuckaronatr: @geekryan: I have been busy, so I am using the full time allowed to me to make my post. I will have it up by the end of tonight or the start of tomorrow.

P.S. On the off chance that I don't get it up by the end time, just disqualify me.

#9 Posted by geekryan (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebuckaronatr: @geekryan: I have been busy, so I am using the full time allowed to me to make my post. I will have it up by the end of tonight or the start of tomorrow.

P.S. On the off chance that I don't get it up by the end time, just disqualify me.

I can give you a 1-2 day extension since you brought this up

#10 Posted by WhoWillWin (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: Thank you, but I don't believe I need it, I am just planning on doing it "at the buzzer" so to speak, which is 24 hours at this point.

I was just saying how thebuck shouldn't be disqualified for me not making the post in time. Though when I looked at my schedule, I had already planned to post it the day of.

I know, I'm cutting it close, but all well...

#11 Posted by geekryan (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: Thank you, but I don't believe I need it, I am just planning on doing it "at the buzzer" so to speak, which is 24 hours at this point.

I was just saying how thebuck shouldn't be disqualified for me not making the post in time. Though when I looked at my schedule, I had already planned to post it the day of.

I know, I'm cutting it close, but all well...

Okay, thanks for the clarification :)

#12 Posted by WhoWillWin (225 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Edited by WhoWillWin (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebuckaronatr: @geekryan: When I tried to post it before, it deleted everything in the post. I will try and do it with multiple edits now(hopefully my pictures load).

The Beginning

No Caption Provided

Sozin's Comet (Introduction)

“You rise with the moon, I rise with the sun”

• Zuko, after beating Katara

“The power of a hundred suns”

• Ozai, describing Sozin's Comet

“Only once every hundred years can a firebender experience *this* much power”

• Iroh, right before tearing down the Ba Sing Se wall with one blast, the very same one that the drill was needed to penetrate.

“Fire. Fire is alive. It breathes. It grows... You are not ready, you are too weak!”

• Joeng Joeng to Aang, but now it is directed towards you.

Even the weakest firebender is a destructive weapon when paired with Sozin's Comet. In the hands of many weak firebenders, it can annihilate an entire nation. When combined with a master, that legend becomes a master of Ozai standard.

Combined with the comet of a hundred suns, my forces are ramped to legendary heights. Who are you to stand in the destruction?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One sun was enough for Zuko to beat Katara in a battlefield that was filled with water(North Pole). It is bad enough that your Katara has to fight on a battlefield with less water, but now she has to do it against 3 firebenders with a hundred suns fueling their destruction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opposition

Zolt:

Lightning Bolt Zolt is the notorious gang boss of the triple threat triads. Extremely cocky, but fast nonetheless, Zolt can get the heat flowing from the start of the opening bell.

No Caption Provided

You are not as fast as Amon, think you can handle shots thrice this size?

Zolt also lives up to his name title “Lightning Bolt”, seeing as he can produce lightning that can reach 20+ feet(with Sozin's Comet, it is safe to say at least 40). Against a waterbender, Zolt has made himself all the more useful.

No Caption Provided

Zhao:

Admiral Zhao is a firebending tyrant. A leader of countless firebending ships, Zhao has both the skills of a bending master and the physicals to beat any of your attempts to beat him in H2H.

"Have you forgotten what happened last time you dueled a master?"-Iroh

No Caption Provided

Zhao effortlessly defeating Hahn, a respectable water tribe warrior

Being able to rise from Commander to Admiral in a mere month, Zhao has shown his leadership, intelligence, and authority. He has also done his research on the other nations, studying them down to the last detail. In his pursuit on the other nations, he slayed the moon.

No Caption Provided

Zhao is also a critical close quarters combatant. Without Sozin's Comet, he has generated fire attacks that even Aang, with his airbender danger sense, could barely dodge.

No Caption Provided

Unless you are twice as fast as Aang (accounting for SC), how are you still here?

But Zhao isn't just a front line assault, he can make use of his distance to dodge any basic attacks thrown his way and dish out torment of his own.

No Caption Provided

Notice the smirk before the dodge, he wasn't even trying...

No Caption Provided

Zhao could do pro-bending too

Jeong Jeong:

Jeong Jeong was Aang's first firebending master, and an experienced one at that. Battle is nothing new to him, seeing as he was previously the top firebending general in the nation. He was also the only deserter that the firelord kept alive, probably because of his raw power.

Unlike Zhao and Zolt, Jeong Jeong is also highly defensive. He understands the extent that fire has on the world; believing that fire is alive and operates to its own accord. He treats each dash of fire as a separate entity. In defiance of both modern science and worldly concepts, his bending methods have been shown to outmatch the top firebenders in existence, including Ozai.

No Caption Provided

"Feel the heat of the sun. It is the greatest source of fire. Yet, it is in complete balance with nature!"

-Jeong Jeong

A member of the White Lotus, Jeong Jeong is its firebending representative. He has reached extents that surpass members of the Red Lotus, the very same ones that could “take down the entire world”. Even without Sozin’s Comet, he can set water on fire and disappear like smoke.

No Caption Provided

He can create fire ontop of water without SC. Water is supposed to stop fire, but in Jeong Jeong's case, water is no obstacle.

No Caption Provided

He cannot be flanked. He cannot be overcome with multiple attacks. He can create distance between himself and your forces. Your perfect teamwork will not phase him.

Combined with Sozin’s Comet, his bending can reach limits previously unknown, and he is one of the few firebenders to showcase what they could do with the Comet. He has demonstrated the ability to fly and maintain his altitude while doing so, a feat only one other firebender can come close to replicating, but even Ozai didn't achieve Jeong Jeong's feats. While in the air, he has shown the ability to redirect powerful attacks and summon fire streams to deal with the ground force, all with expert precision and timing.

No Caption Provided

Few things: first, he flawlessly redirected several firebenders with Sozin's Comet (16 could annihilate an entire nation). Second, he did it with buildings near his attacks, and all of those buildings have wooden doors/roofs. One stray flame and they will all go ablaze. He has the bending potency to outbend 1/8th of a nation, yet the precision not to harm anything he doesn't want to. Imagine what he could do with the win/his life on the line.

Knowing my Opponents

Jeong Jeong is very intuitive, and will know exactly what your forces are capable of. He took one look at Aang and knew what bending he had, he can do the same with your team.

"He saw the way you walked into camp. He could tell"

-Chey

Zhao also possesses this ability, but to a lesser extent. He has studied every enemy of the fire nation via the library, and knows how to offset even the most subtle bending mistake. He was also Jeong Jeong's pupil.

Even without knowing the basic feats of my opponents, my forces are more than capable of figuring it out on their own. Your forces, on the other hand, are completely unaware of what my team can accomplish, and will get blindsided because of this fact.

Plan

As soon as the battle starts, Zolt and Zhao will attack immediately. This will give Jeong Jeong time until he can create a wall to separate my forces from yours. It will thick enough that, if any action is made on your part to advance, my victory is guaranteed.

Once Jeong Jeong is in the air, and your forces are unaware of this fact, the wall will advance towards your section. Once the wall passes your area, Zolt and Zhao will advance. While advancing, Jeong Jeong will keep your forces pinned down. Once a suitable range is achieved, Zolt and Zhao will pin your forces down further until a final blow can be reached.

Strategy

Against Bolin:

As soon as my forces see him lavabend, or intuitively beforehand, the need to pressure will arise. Fortunately for my team, Bolin has never faced Sozin’s Comet, and is unaware of the damage that can be caused by a single mark of fire. Even if he creates a suitable wall to block any and all fire that comes his way, Jeong Jeong has shown the precision to clean out any space.

Against Katara:

Katara is waterbender, and Zolt can bend lightning. Katara also is extremely fast with ice; however, that doesn’t do much against a team of full firebenders, as shown with the GIF below:

No Caption Provided

Azula might not have had the proper precision to destroy an entire ice walkway, but Jeong Jeong does. Your Katara will slip if she tries to evade the onslaught like she did with Azula.

Against Perfect Teamwork:

This might actually be a weakness against my forces.

All that perfect teamwork means is that your forces will help each other until the end. However, it stands to reason that they will be closer to one another, since they are watching each other's back. This means that your forces will be closer together, which is all Jeong Jeong needs to knock them both out with one blow.

#14 Posted by WhoWillWin (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebuckaronatr: @geekryan: First post is up and ready to play.

Special Thanks To...

Pictures are in order, all are the artists for these pictures

ShortCircuit123 for his "Conflict" picture

Adam-Varga for his "Seasons" picture

Other special thanks to,,,

@anthp2000

For actually making something of Zhao vs Aang that I could turn into a GIF.

Just thought that a call-out to a reserve player would arouse attention. He did, in fact, make a Vimeo on the fight.

#15 Posted by ANTHP2000 (29712 posts) - - Show Bio

@whowillwin: Aye my man! I forgot to tell everyone in the tournament that's using A:TLA characters though, it could be helpful.

#16 Posted by Itachus17 (3742 posts) - - Show Bio

@whowillwin:

When I tried to post it before, it deleted everything in the post. I will try and do it with multiple edits now(hopefully my pictures load).

Oh boy i feel ya(it somehow deleted my whole post), anyways tag plz.

#17 Posted by thebuckaronatr (1986 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by WhoWillWin (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@itachus17: Will do, sorry about your battle

@thebuckaronatr: I have only competed in one competition before... I won my first match by default but the tournament got disbanded before anybody could start the second round. I can honestly say that this post is way better than the ones I did in the tournament before though; I am a quick learner

I also wanted to include pictures from the legendary ChaosFissure, but he has an exclusive copyright and hasn't gotten back to me.

#19 Posted by geekryan (5487 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by geekryan (5487 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by WhoWillWin (225 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by geekryan (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: Well... what now?

Will wait and see about the other matches. People have been dropping left, right and center...

#23 Posted by Tektonic (1399 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan said:
@whowillwin said:

@geekryan: Well... what now?

Will wait and see about the other matches. People have been dropping left, right and center...

TBH it's kinda been a disaster, maybe you can start a new more simple one another time?

#24 Posted by geekryan (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

@tektonic: It has nothing to do with simplicity/complexity. It has to do with commitment, which people severely lack in. Since Avatar is less popular compared to most comics and anime, we automatically get less interest and participants. Many of those who signed up for this aren’t frequent debaters, they are just fans of Avatar. You need to have an interest in CaVs/tournaments as well as in the source material to be committed. When I get home tonight I’ll check up on the other matches and make a decision

#25 Edited by thebuckaronatr (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: I was very busy the last couple of days but could pull it off if you give me 2-3 days more. Or i have to forfeit and whowillwin gets the win by default.

#26 Posted by geekryan (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: I was very busy the last couple of days but could pull it off if you give me 2-3 days more. Or i have to forfeit and whowillwin gets the win by default.

I will give you until Friday. But I won't allow extensions for further posts

#27 Posted by Tektonic (1399 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan said:

@tektonic: It has nothing to do with simplicity/complexity. It has to do with commitment, which people severely lack in. Since Avatar is less popular compared to most comics and anime, we automatically get less interest and participants. Many of those who signed up for this aren’t frequent debaters, they are just fans of Avatar. You need to have an interest in CaVs/tournaments as well as in the source material to be committed. When I get home tonight I’ll check up on the other matches and make a decision

Exactly, with an issue of commitment it could be easier to trim things down so people don't feel it would consume too much time.

#28 Posted by thebuckaronatr (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan said:
@thebuckaronatr said:

I will give you until Friday. But I won't allow extensions for further posts

I will post this evening.

#29 Posted by thebuckaronatr (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: Okay i try since over an hour to post but always just get a blank page, i have to forfeit i guess.

#30 Posted by Tektonic (1399 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: Okay i try since over an hour to post but always just get a blank page, i have to forfeit i guess.

Like it won't submit properly? Do you still have what you worked on?

#31 Posted by geekryan (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh....

Okay.

#32 Posted by WhoWillWin (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebuckaronatr: For my original post the minute I hit reply to get the callout, it made the whole post blank (and undos didn't fix it). I tried to hit send just in case the system would still register the content in the post, which is why you can see a blank comment before my complete post.

As far as saving your original post, do you use Google Docs or Word before you post on Comicvine?

#33 Posted by Itachus17 (3742 posts) - - Show Bio

I ran into pretty similar problems, you need to post a smaller part and then edit it one after another with more additional small parts. Then it should work.

#34 Posted by thebuckaronatr (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@tektonic said:
@thebuckaronatr said:

Like it won't submit properly? Do you still have what you worked on?

@thebuckaronatr: For my original post the minute I hit reply to get the callout, it made the whole post blank (and undos didn't fix it). I tried to hit send just in case the system would still register the content in the post, which is why you can see a blank comment before my complete post.

As far as saving your original post, do you use Google Docs or Word before you post on Comicvine?

I got always a blank page and have still half of the text and the pictures on my desktop.

@thebuckaronatr said:

I ran into pretty similar problems, you need to post a smaller part and then edit it one after another with more additional small parts. Then it should work.

Thanks i will try the small part method the next time.