Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BigDreamer48

The Duo Tournament!

No Caption Provided

Welcome to the Avatar duo tournament! There will be a new match every 2 days or so.

Rules:

• One vote per person.
  • No alts. Let the winner be decided fair and square. If I assume someone is an alt, their vote won’t be counted.
  • No unkind, mean, or derogatory words. I have zero tolerance for this. If something escalates to a level where it becomes aggressive or unkind, I will contact a mod.
  • Civil debating is allowed in terms of discussion, and asking a question about someone's verdict is okay, but I do not want to see heated or rude argument. Ex: "lol no. Character A >>> Character B and you're dumb." Let others have their opinions, and you have yours.
  • If a character that you are not familiar with is included, feel free to pass. I will post links to respect threads however if you would like to give it a shot.

Info

I have selected 64 characters from ATLA, LOK, and the Kyoshi novels. Two characters will be matched together, and then face off against another duo at random. When it comes to picking the duos, I want to be fair, but I also want it to be somewhat spontaneous. I also will resort something if I think a potentially very powerful duo might get knocked out in the first round simply due to an unlucky matchup. When a duo comes up, you all will vote on who you think would win in a fight based on the circumstances that are given.

I also will not tag you unless you've stated that you want to be tagged on here, or on another thread, and I would like at least 8-12 people to participate other than myself, so feel free to get the word out.

Characters

Aang (air/earth)

Asami

Azula

Bolin

Bumi II

Combustion Man

Desna

Eska

Ghazan

Gow

Hama

Huu

Ikki

Iroh

Iroh II

Jeong-Jeong

Jet

Jianzhu

Jinora

Kai

Katara

King Bumi

Korra (fire/water)

Kori

Kuvira

Kya

Kyoshi (earth/fire + novel feats only)

Lightning Bolt Zolt

Liling

Lin

Mako

Mai

Meelo

Ming-Hua

Opal

Ozai

Pakku

Piandao

P’Li

Rangi

Roku (fire/water)

Sokka

Sozin

Suki

Suyin

Tarrlok

Tenzin

The Boulder

The Canyon Guide

The Lieutenant

Toph

Tonraq

Ty Lee

Unalaq

Wan (fire/air)

Wei

Wing

Xin Fu

Xu Ping An

Yaling

Yun

Zaheer

Zhao

Zuko

Tournament Conditions

• All matches take place at the Tree of Time, close to the tree. There are three metal tanks surrounding the tree.
  • NO bloodbending, full moon, sozin's comet, and especially NO AVATAR STATE.
  • Pakku and Hama get their full moon feats (except for bloodbending obviously).
  • Everyone is in character, but serious and determined to win their fight.
  • Everyone has standard gear.
  • Start 30 ft away on even ground with in-verse knowledge.
  • Win by death, KO, or incap.
  • Everyone is at their best (EoS/Comics).
  • Have fun!
eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I just logged on! Let’s gooooooo!

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By viking1205

Damn, sounds amazing. Do tag me in all the rounds. I'm also excited you've included two elements for avatars. And finally, I don't know if thank you would enough for restricting bloodbending.

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stage 1, Round 1:

No Caption Provided

Rangi and Pakku

VS

Iroh II and Bolin

No Caption Provided

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I can definitely see arguments for both sides here. Rangi is a very impressive firebender and I see her being very effective here. Pakku, while lacking in screen time, has some very high level and impressive feats, which he should be able to use here based on his fight in Ba Sing Se. Iroh II is actually quite impressive with his fire jets, and Bolin is as well of course (I think that's a given by EoS), but I would back Rangi and Pakku.

Rangi and Pakku lead 1-0

Rangi's Respect Thread. Also got some nice feats from @tektonic on my Rangi gauntlet.

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BigDreamer48
viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By viking1205

Rangi and Pakku.

Both Rangi and Pakku are superior to both Iroh - 2 and Bolin and if it comes to two 1v1s, Rangi should take down Iroh 2 quickly in most scenarios since she's the more powerful bender of the two. I'm of the thought that Pakku would beat Bolin. Regardless, Pakku should be capable of holding off Bolin for the time until Rangi finishes Iroh and they both double up on Bolin, that's a battle I don't see Bolin winning regardless. The Avatar's bodyguard and the White Lotus master takes this round.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigdreamer48: How long does each round last? As I have to actually read up on the Kyoshi people.. Does the respect threads actually show a real scale or do I need to read the novels..?

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: Each round lasts 2 days. I think the respect thread does a pretty good job of showing what they are capable of, but if you don't think you can make an accurate verdict without reading the novels, then you can pass on this round.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

Rangi and Pakku. I don't consider this a particularly close battle, certainly not enough to bother with a breakdown. If it were Pakku battling two on one, it'd be a more conversation worthy piece of action, but the first team is just better, and to be honest, I'd probably still back the White Lotus master against them. Rangi herself is defiantly better than these two, although I should say lightning bending would make it interesting.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 anthp2000  Moderator
cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cocacolaman  Moderator

I’ll go with Bolin and Iroh II.

Debate meh!

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000:Thank you! I wanted the art in the opening post to include a lot of the characters.

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will check out the Rangi Respect Thread before voting. I will only vote if I am confident in my knowledge of the characters fighting.

mantraxsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bolin/ Iroh ll

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chloros

I'm excited for this!

Rangi and Pakku have my vote. Iroh II is a bit of a weak link, and Bolin's lava, the biggest threat in play can be avoided with jet-stepping and surfing.

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Aystarr  Online

Ayyyyyyy! Let's go.

@bigdreamer48: Praying azula gets teamed up with katara, my faves have to take the win.

OT: Pakku and rangi.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chloros said:

I'm excited for this!

Rangi and Pakku have my vote. Iroh II is a bit of a weak link, and Bolin's lava, the biggest threat in play can be avoided with jet-stepping and surfing.

Seconded.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: Each round lasts 2 days. I think the respect thread does a pretty good job of showing what they are capable of, but if you don't think you can make an accurate verdict without reading the novels, then you can pass on this round.

I have to read it late and see..

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IndomitableRegal

Team 1. I'd back team 2 if Pakku didn't get full moon feats.

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I would back Bolin and Iroh II(I can hear the eye rolling now, stay with me).

Aside from a heavily charged move Rangi doesn't have the strength needed to overpower Bolin. Her firebending is great from a skill standpoint(varying usages of heat and fire manipulation), but their isn't strong carry over in this battle. She isn't gonna be breaking his defense at all or keeping up with his superior attack rate. Once lava comes into play her chances continually sink as it naturally increases, her jets can only keep the inevitable at bay.

And lightning is a huge factor against Pakku in the likelihood he uses a waterspout, I'm surprised it isn't being treated with the lethality lightning bending is often represented as given that 4/4 criteria generally used with lightning bending is being met here:

1. Pakku has no knowledge of lightning bending
  2. Pakku has no feats regarding lightning bending
  3. Pakku has a heavy history of riding on constructs of water to be electrocuted on
  4. Iroh II possess instant lightning generation to capitalize on the three above points

Even with the FM feats, he doesn't have the warship busting power than Iroh II was able to block with a fire shield.

I back Bolin and Iroh II because their feats are more qualitative, the other duo just has status, not to say the LOK don't have that too mind you.

BlueApril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is cool and exciting!

Rangi and Pakku are my first vote!

nathanthecynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with Bolin and Iroh II.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I can’t tell, Rangi and Pakku are overall the better team, however, lightningbending really throws a curveball into the game. Both Rangi and Pakku would be capable of dodging a lightning, but neither would expect it. If I’m not mistaken, lightningbending is somewhat of a very rare ability in the Kyoshi era, and frankly, it still is in the ATLA era. I could definitely see cases where one side wins and another where the other side wins.

With that said, I’m not going to be voting this matchup just to be safe. I am a good person (lol).

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BigDreamer48

Rangi and Pakku Advance!

Next Matchup of Stage 1, Round 2:

No Caption Provided

Suki and Kuvira

VS

Jianzhu and Meelo

No Caption Provided

I'm not sure about this one. Gotta review both Kuvira and Jianzhu's feats. I'm going to wait until I hear some verdicts before casting my vote.

Conditions Reminders:

• All matches take place at the Tree of Time, close to the tree. There are three metal tanks surrounding the tree.
  • Have fun!

Jianzhu's Respect Thread, courtesy of @viking1205

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Aystarr  Online

OMG I can't pick!, I'll have to think this through

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cocacolaman  Moderator

Jianzhu, from what I've heard, is Lin level. I'll go with Kuvira and Suki.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 anthp2000  Moderator

Jianzhu and Meelo.

Kuvira excels in rather limited scale 1 on 1 combat. This is mirrored in the way with which she used traditional teachings from the Beifongs in the form of a modernised MMA style, and the fact that she has outfitted herself in pre-arranged layers of metal -- and not carrying actual cables -- for fast paced, swift takedowns in relatively close quarters. But I don't believe she could hang too well with the higher leagues when you account in for the scale in which benders like Jianzhu operate at. She is lacking in the mobility, earthbending power, and range required to match him here on my book. I don't feel like this level of bending was too much of a concern for her; she had her army and technology to take care of the rest.

This isn't to say it wouldn't be a good fight, but I don't see her winning in the end. Suki is very good, but not enough of a threat to Jianzhu to turn the tides for this match. Her and Meelo are both rather secondary.

BlueApril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jianzhu and Meelo

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jianzhu and Meelo.

Kuvira excels in rather limited scale 1 on 1 combat. This is mirrored in the way with which she used traditional teachings from the Beifongs in the form of a modernised MMA style, and the fact that she has outfitted herself in pre-arranged layers of metal -- and not carrying actual cables -- for fast paced, swift takedowns in relatively close quarters. But I don't believe she could hang too well with the higher leagues when you account in for the scale in which benders like Jianzhu operate at. She is lacking in the mobility, earthbending power, and range required to match him here on my book. I don't feel like this level of bending was too much of a concern for her; she had her army and technology to take care of the rest.

This isn't to say it wouldn't be a good fight, but I don't see her winning in the end. Suki is very good, but not enough of a threat to Jianzhu to turn the tides for this match. Her and Meelo are both rather secondary.

It's a shame Kuvira didn't get the chance to use large scale moves, especially since her earthbending didn't get enough screen time. I was hoping with the Toph comparisons we would get something in ROTE unfortunately outside of the trio's combo moves we only got her struggling with Guan's earth bending.

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, Jianzhu always felt like he had the precision of a metalbender but with earth instead. He uses a lot of spikes and razor thin attacks a bit like metal strips. Kuvira's best asset is that she is quite quick and precise but I think he can match that. On top of his power, and mobility advantages he should win. Though the metal makes it interesting. Suki would beat Meelo with her superior skills and experience but I don't see it making enough of a difference in the fight. Jianzhu is the best player here and wins it for his team.

Voting for Jianzhu and Meelo

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, I've made up my mind. I'm picking Jianzhu and Meelo. I see both the Gravedigger and the Great Uniter pretty close to each other. But he takes away her best advantage, his precision is better than what she brings to the table. He destroyed a bloodlusted Kyoshi (before she learnt any other 3 elements) just easily as Kuvira beat a broken Korra, and his finishing move was pretty much the same as what she did to Korra. His large scale Earth attacks aren't something I could see Kuvira match with her Earthbending to be frank. But the addition of metal source makes it a close fight, giving her the ammunition to go up against him in a fair fight. Meelo and Suki aren't contributing much on this level to say they're a threat or key in turning the tides. I'm currently leaning towards Jianzhu and Meelo, but could be convinced.

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reviewing other people's responses and the characters' feats, I am leaning towards Jianzhu and Meelo. The pure scale and impressive precision that Jianzhu has can edge him out against Kuvira, even though she does have a good source of metal here.

loneespada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello, I am new to CV. I would like to be tagged for this.

But since I am new some people might consider this an alt so I won't vote. I would just follow along. And I am not that deep into Avatar power scaling just yet, so this would also familiarize me with the general opinions on it.

nathanthecynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jianzhu and Meelo

TheBooyZz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loneespada: Haii, i'm also a little new to CV (My account is less than a year old). I would like to formally welcome you to the fandom !! Just dont get on anyones bad side; I had issues with that when I first joined.

mantraxsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meelo Gang

loneespada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebooyzz: Thanks for the welcome. But compared to me you're still old but yeah I suppose with respect to the others you are also "new".

And that's quite the advice lol. I will keep that in mind

TheBooyZz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BigDreamer48

Jianzhu and Meelo Advance!

Next Matchup of Stage 1, Round 3:

No Caption Provided

Katara and Hama

VS

Wan and The Canyon Guide

No Caption Provided

I literally cackled when I saw this pairing. I swear that I did not do that on purpose...sorry @aystarr...I'm gonna wait to cast my vote because @anthp2000 wants to show off some of the one and only CANYON GUIDE's feats first.

Conditions Reminders:

• For this round specifically, Avatar Wan only has firebending and airbending.
  • Have fun!
BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers