Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Zuko (Smoke and Shadow)

No Caption Provided

vs

Yaling (Imbalance)

No Caption Provided

Rules:

• Fight takes place in the Omashu Royal Place (where Bumi fought Aang)
  • Morals on
  • Starting distance: 10m
  • Zuko doesn't have his swords
Avatar image for deactivated-6249a821a8c64
deactivated-6249a821a8c64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

I'm coming back to this in a day or two.

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ummm, I would still say Zuko considering his feats overall, but Yaling beating Toph is probably better than anyone Zuko has beat.

Alsimmons77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zuko, Toph was jobbing against Yaling and Zuko is anyways not as grounded as her.

Co-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have scans of her fight against Toph? That’s super impressive if she beat her but idk if that’s enough o beat Zuko. Toph would beat Zuko (although it would be a very very close fight) but if Toph lost in some job kind of way, that feat won’t be close enough to beat zuko.

Wrathofthebrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@co-boss said:

Anyone have scans of her fight against Toph?

Avatar image for americanspeeddemon
americanspeeddemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All hail the new Queen of Earthbending! Long may she reign(even though she shouldn't be in the first place)

No Caption Provided

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By marvelfan1992

@vengefulshot said:
@americanspeeddemon said:

@wrathofthebrad: @co-boss: They fought twice the first time they stalemated and the second time Yaling narrowly won. I think people are just saying Toph jobbed because she lost to a new character.

Stalemates Toph

Rematch with Toph

I think people are saying she jobbed because the bending she was doing was not really on the same level as what she's shown in the past like with her fight with Bumi (which was in-comic) and other stuff from the series. Like if you google "toph earth bending" and click and of the YT results you'll see a bunch of stuff from her that seems a lot more powerful and capable than what she was doing vs yaling so to see her lose when she's doing bending of that level, it's reasonable to believe that was jobbing /PIS

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelfan1992:

Whilst it's true that she wasn't showing her big scale, Yaling brought the fight to CQC not leaving her room for anything big. She kept her off balance by jumping in the air and Yaling herself has shown bigger and better earthbending than what she did vs Toph.

Like I said, I don't think Yaling could take a majority, but that doesn't mean Toph can win every single time. I think people are just salty that a character they liked lost a fight.

Avatar image for americanspeeddemon
americanspeeddemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@marvelfan1992: I think part of that comes down to fighting styles Yaling mixes in a lot of martial Arts and fights in close quarters which puts Toph under more pressure in the fight. I think an arguer could even concede that Toph is probably more powerful but that Yaling is more skilled.

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I will comment on the first fight between Toph and Yaling (I'm trying to save the second for when my comic arrives lol). It did seem a bit strange of Toph to smash fists like that, kind of in a head strong charge forward type of way. It goes against her unique nature of bending. King Bumi said, "Your teacher will be someone who has mastered Neutral Jing. You need to find someone who waits and listens before striking." And that is exactly how we saw Toph in her first episode and many other times. I guess you could argue that Yaling just got on her nerves and caused Toph's focus to be off. I'm not saying it's impossible to beat Toph or anything, but it didn't seem like she was fighting at her best here.

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chloros: The very fact that Toph didn't straight up overpower Yaling and smash her to ground implies some huge raw power on Yalings end.

That's another statement vs feats argument. Whilst Toph does use neutral jing she's just as likely to attack someone head on (for examples see the episode "bitter work", or when she smashes through the metal cage, or when she metal armours up and punches those comet firebenders).

Alsimmons77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vengefulshot said:
@americanspeeddemon said:

@wrathofthebrad: @co-boss: They fought twice the first time they stalemated and the second time Yaling narrowly won. I think people are just saying Toph jobbed because she lost to a new character.

Stalemates Toph

Rematch with Toph

I think people are saying she jobbed because the bending she was doing was not really on the same level as what she's shown in the past like with her fight with Bumi (which was in-comic) and other stuff from the series. Like if you google "toph earth bending" and click and of the YT results you'll see a bunch of stuff from her that seems a lot more powerful and capable than what she was doing vs yaling so to see her lose when she's doing bending of that level, it's reasonable to believe that was jobbing /PIS

Yeah.

Msorowitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see more of Yaling before i pick a winner, she surprised Toph but i am not sure if the same approach would work with Zuko.

thebuckaronatr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would still go with Zuko on neutral grounds.

Co-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Co-Boss

After seeing the fights, I really do think that toph fought rather ooc. We've seen her fight other earthbenders and as some already posted, he method is overpowering. She goes h2h against firebenders because she can make herself fireproof to a certain extent. In her second fight though she was the one going for h2h at some points for some reason and I didn't see anything from yaling that would show her being a better bender than toph.

On topic to the battle: If yalings thing is being skilled with martial arts over being a powerful bender she is shit out of luck against Zuko. He is one of the more skilled people in the og show/ comics with his showings as both zuko and the blue spirit. Yaling doesn't have feats to put her near the same skill class and Zuko's mix of skill and bending should allow him to overpower the earthbender. Zuko mid diff.

matbezlima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@americanspeeddemon: Yaling used her agility and vision to make the fight tough for Toph rather than earthbending skills. Yaling was constantly jumping around and not fighting like a traditional earthbender would, focusing on speed and precision. That caught Toph's guard off. That's my take on the fight. Still a PIS fight for me to a good degree, but the way that the fight went on was far from being totally unreasonable, the context that made it tough for Toph had some logic.

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay in Yaling's defense even Imbalance Toph is still very powerful. It's not like Toph was portrayed as weak at all.

She held up a small house, and held up the cave in Liling created.

Avatar image for thebluedragon20
thebluedragon20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zuko

Itachus17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zuko but Yqling would make him put some work in and make it a cool looking fight(i rly like her agile + creative fighting style).

Avatar image for raimundopedrosa
raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yaling wrecks him. After beating Toph, she's definitely beating Zuko hands down.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@tektonic said:

All hail the new Queen of Earthbending! Long may she reign(even though she shouldn't be in the first place)

No Caption Provided

I am not okay with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eeb201d11f2c
deactivated-5eeb201d11f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yaling can probably win based on her earthbending power, but I don't think beating Toph necessarily means she can beat Zuko. Yaling took down Toph with agility and CQC martial arts, which will not work nearly as well against Zuko, who has both of those in spades.

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BigDreamer48

Just because she beats Toph doesn't mean she can beat Zuko. I think he can take a majority 6-7/10 because of his much improved fire power. His physicals are also better than hers, which is what gave her the advantage versus Toph. Yaling is a very good bender, but I don't see her throwing anything at Zuko that he can't handle. He has shattered through crystals before in Book 2, and he has only gotten stronger since then.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

Yaling was a decent bender. She's not touching Zuko, though.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zuko for a majority, though Yailing puts up a good fight

While I don’t take her fight with Toph as a conclusive win/sign of superiority for a couple reasons (overall portrayal of the characters, Toph’s knowledge that Sokka had her back and was going to take her down), we did see that Yailing was capable of holding her own. She’s clearly more capable than any earthbender Toph has fought (except her comic fight with Bumi, and I’m not sure I’d count that one as strictly canon anyway). It’s kinda nice to see that Toph is not above being challenged in a 1v1. IMO, the likes of Azula/Zuko would also be capable of challenging her under similar conditions, so I don’t think Yailing’s showing puts her above Zuko, and Zuko favors cqc combat more than Toph anyway

She’s definitely good enough to win some, but not a majority, IMO

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Off topic, I'm new to comic vine. How do I see ATLA and other related threads?

Avatar image for thebluedragon20
thebluedragon20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yalings good, Zuko is better. His raw power by smoke and shadow should be able to blow through any of her defenses and he is fast enough to not have any problems with her attacks.

RonnyLamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RonnyLamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RonnyLamar

@arcus1: Toph isn't invincible its tons of characters who can beat are rival her

Ghazan Kuvira Mung Hua Unalaq Pakku Katara

Iroh Combustion man Pli