Asajj Ventress Vs. Depa Billaba

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 70

#1  Edited By shroudofsorrow

Asajj Ventress duels Mace Windu's old apprentice on Hypori where Grievous was first encountered by the Jedi. Who wins?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Versus

steelhound56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By steelhound56

Pretty sure Depa has this one in the bag.

Going by Mace's inner dialogues in Shatterpoint, Depa's bladework and proficiency in Vaapad rivals his own mastery of the form. That alone definitely seals her a win in a lightsaber duel.

She was a High Council member before her breakdown on Harrun Kal, so I would assume her Force abilities are more potent than Asajj's as well.

Depa takes the majority

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shroudofsorrow

@steelhound56: The problem with your analysis is that there is a lot of speculation and logic. Feats supercede speculation here every time, and often logic too.

Mace only narrowly drove off Ventress showing that he is only marginally better. Mind you, this was Ventress after being trained by Dooku.

Ventress pre-training lost (albeit barely) to what was for all intents and purposes AotC Anakin. So yes, that version of Ventress loses a lightsaber duel to Depa, but Ventress post-training and Depa are both only marginally below Mace Windu, so there is no clear superior there. I’d actually say Ventress is the slight superior though simply because she has more feats, but if she is better the margin is relatively thin.

In terms of the Force, assuming she is strong in the Force because she is on the Council just doesn’t work. Coleman Trebor was on the Council and it makes him no less featless. In terms of Force ability, Ventress has caused an avalanche:

Depa has done nothing on that level that I know of and a check on Wookiepedia (yes, Wookiepedia, but still) had nothing to say about her regarding Force showings.

So in fact looking at the evidence I say Ventress wins if its her after being trained by Dooku. She is approachable to Depa in a saber duel and has her outclassed in the Force department. She wins. Now the version of Ventress that fought Anakin on Yavin and Dooku on Rattatak has a tougher time of it because she’s Depa’s inferior in saber dueling but is still better in terms of the Force, so that could go either way. All out though I’m still leaning towards Ventress since she can at least keep up in the saber department whereas Depa can’t keep up in the Force department. Strictly saber duel with pre-training Ventress though Depa does win.

Credit goes to Silver for the scans by the way

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@shroudofsorrow: LOL. You should credit Silver2467 for those scans unless you have those comics yourself.

I honestly can't recall Depa's TK feats, if she had anything. Either I wasn't paying attention when I read Shatterpoint or she is simply featless/has no feats of note. Anyways, Ventress wins in that department for sure.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shroudofsorrow

@shootingnova: That's what I said.

And yeah, I guess I should credit Silver like I always do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think depa would win since vaapad channels rage/anger of the enemy into power for the one using right? thats how mace got his amp versus sidious iirc

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lord_Tenebrous

Depa 6/10

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ventress more times than not

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Greysentinel365

Hmmmmm a duel between these two could be close if it's Legends Depa.

Ventress still wins through her superior force powers though

Slash03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either way, leaning towards Depa in a pretty good fight

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assuming this is canon I’ll give it to 7/10. She was capable of fighting completely equally to Grievous for a prolonged duel, and even cut off two of his hands. Ventress was only capable of beating Grievous while amped by a nexus.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depa gets utterly wrecked in canon now that she’s been retconned.

Legends Ventress wins with low difficulty

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

How did the retcon effect her strength?

LevTarkovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can go either way honestly, I will give Depa some advantage for the Vaapad.

LevTarkovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greysentinel365 said:

How did the retcon effect her strength?

Probably because of how they handled her death in the show compared to the comic, in the comic there were more clones in her hunt, initially she was cornered and had to protect Caleb from the start because he was slow to react (although eventually he was more useful than in the show), despite that she still managed to kill more clones on her own than in the show, used the force to overpower several, blocked blasters bolts with her hands, and in the end could have killed even more but died trying to talk sense into a clone who was shooting at Caleb as he jumped off the cliff, neglecting her defence and being shot by many from behind.

Compared to the show, some consider that to be disrespectful to her strength, although I suppose the other issues remain in continuity and therefore her battle with Grievous remains intact, so there is no much change though.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c2e15ac5d3d
deactivated-63c2e15ac5d3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alx03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leaning towards Depa