Arm Wrestle - Black Panther (MCU) vs Captain America (616)

• 79 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for stalin-is-steel
Stalin-Is-Steel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Stalin-Is-Steel

At their best, with no suit or Herb? Cap wins then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

T’Challa through scaling.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steve smashes his arm through the table.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steve stopped Thanos fist with Infinity Gauntlet with multiple stones. Steve throws T'Challa through the planet

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ffs...

Eeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap smashes his arm into the ground.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can make an argument through scaling from MCU Cap and Bucky, but honestly I’m not sure. It’s not a stomp either way, but I’d back 616 Cap due to consistnt quantifiable feats

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

You can make an argument through scaling from MCU Cap and Bucky, but honestly I’m not sure. It’s not a stomp either way, but I’d back 616 Cap due to consistnt quantifiable feats

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stalin-is-steel: Why wouldn't black panther have the herb? And how does the suit help in arm wrestling?

Stalin-Is-Steel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: OP doesn't state that Panther has the herb, and he's gone without it at times. I'm not going to assume that he has it unless the OP states otherwise.

The suit can potentially help with leverage as it stops the hand from getting sweaty in a extended lock up which can result in a weaker grip or the hand slipping off. It happens a surprising amount of times, actually.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stalin-is-steel: Why does the op need to state he has the herb? He's only "gone without it" in ritual combat. That's like me saying "cap has gone without the super soldier serum in the past and I'm not gonna assume he has it unless stated"....

Stalin-Is-Steel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stalin-Is-Steel

@jashro44: That's how it works. Blame Tony's lazy thread for the lack of detail, it doesn't even make the bare minimum for battle threads. I'm not going to assume he has the herb if it's not there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f
deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Steve given his reputation of hand to hand combat ........

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steve given his reputation of hand to hand combat ........

Why does that matter in an arm-wrestling contest?

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stalin-is-steel: Um no...We assume current versions if not specified. Current mcu black panther has the herb.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f
deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Since both sets of characters have more or less same physic and body strength then it relies upon skills or fts where cap flourishes through hand to hand combat.....

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Black Panther handily.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: That's how it works. Blame Tony's lazy thread for the lack of detail, it doesn't even make the bare minimum for battle threads. I'm not going to assume he has the herb if it's not there.

As if you're trying to tell the most well known (ex) battle mods on this site how the site works LMAO!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20 JediXMan  Moderator

@stalin-is-steel:

It goes without saying that Jash - a former battle mod, and one of the best - knows the rules. He's spot on. I recommend you refamiliarize yourself with the rules.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Panther easy.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America.

LDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm tempted to say MCU Super Soldiers are 5 or so times stronger than 616 Cap TBH.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4e40f44920a
deactivated-5d4e40f44920a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of question is this? Cap, hands down.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sy8000 said:

I'm tempted to say MCU Super Soldiers are 5 or so times stronger than 616 Cap TBH.

Please do it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An arm wrestle? T'Challa.

Steve would decisively beat him in h2h though.

omriamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By omriamar

MCU Cap is in 5-10 ton range way over 616 who is considered in the 500 ibs - 2 ton by his oun guide book I’m sure he has outliers but that is his official strength in a consistent way

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

I was actually gonna say MCU T'Challa is stronger, but after taking a look at his feats again, plus comparing them to the ones 616 Cap preformed, I changed my mind. Mostly the reason why scaling with Bucky is flawed is because, in their first fight when T'Challa was about to strike and kill Bucky, Barnes was able to stop his attack with both of his arms, including his non metal arm. And when Cap fought T'Challa, the latter struggled to overpower him while he was defending himself when he used both of his arms, something Bucky was able to do with his metal arm before quite casually even when Cap used his entire body to try and break free, not just his arms.

When it comes to Bucky's feat itself, I'm pretty sure that when Bucky grabbed T'Chally by the neck, he was pushing his backwards and overpowered him. Before T'Challa actually overpowered the grip, he used his leg to hold Bucky (by the rib I think) and then stopped him from pushing T'Challa forward. So it has more to do with T'Challa's skill than raw strength, especially because Bucky wasn't as aggressive, hence saying "I didn't kill your father", while against Rogers, he was bloodlusted and mind controlled. It's still an impressive showing of strength, however given the context provided, plus his later showing with Cap and previous fight with Bucky kinda makes scaling a questionable source IMO.

When it comes to Cap's helicopter feat, Russo Bros confirmed that he preformed that feat due to similar adrenalin rush a mother gets when she lifts a car to save her baby. That's way beyond his regular levels so scaling does not apply to Bucky either. While 616 Cap's helicopter feat isn't as noticeable due to the fact that the helicopter he dealt with was like what, 2x less heavy? But he still did it pretty casually with almost zero effort. And besides that, it's not like 616 Cap never overpowered extremely strong characters before, even tho they have better feats than he does. However I'm opened to a discussion in case someone disagrees with my interpretation of this. I'm all yours.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lol...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sy8000 said:

please do. Then prove it

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 anthp2000  Moderator

Cap,

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

@krleavenger:

When it comes to Cap's helicopter feat, Russo Bros confirmed that he preformed that feat due to similar adrenalin rush a mother gets when she lifts a car to save her baby.

Do you have the srouce? Was it in the CA:CW commentary?

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 socajunkie  Moderator

@sy8000 said:

Please just be meme-ing.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sy8000 said:

Please just be meme-ing.

10 tons is a reasonable estimate for some of his feats. Granted those would be high end, but I think they're still much stronger.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger:

When it comes to Cap's helicopter feat, Russo Bros confirmed that he preformed that feat due to similar adrenalin rush a mother gets when she lifts a car to save her baby.

Do you have the srouce? Was it in the CA:CW commentary?

“He’s hanging onto that helicopter for an extremely passionate reason,” says Joe Russo. “In stories you’ll read where a mother will lift a car off a child. There’s something very important happening in that scene and for us it really represented his struggle as a character, one man pitted against a helicopter that’s trying to take off. Can he stop it? And what are the limits of his strength? For us, it’s one of the most powerful shots in the movie and it’s Chris Evans, who works very hard to physically exemplify this character. On set, we had him straining against a crane holding this helicopter, and you have this fantastic shot of his muscles bulging and you can feel the pain and the energy and the determination as he tries to stop this thing.”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/captain-america-civil-war-trailer-breakdown/

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 anthp2000  Moderator
jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Everyone is trying their hardest in this arm wrestle.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Everyone is trying their hardest in this arm wrestle.

What do you mean by that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jashro44

@jashro44: So Steves feat is applicable.

Steve's feat isn't about effort. Its about adrenaline.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 socajunkie  Moderator

@sy8000 said:

10 tons is a reasonable estimate for some of his feats. Granted those would be high end, but I think they're still much stronger.

The metal rung he deadlifted off Bucky in TWS was broken down and calc'd at 9 tons but again that's deadlifting so therefore surely wouldn't be 5x higher than 616 Cap's high ends or even higher at all.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sy8000 said:

The metal rung he deadlifted off Bucky in TWS was broken down and calc'd at 9 tons but again that's deadlifting so therefore surely wouldn't be 5x higher than 616 Cap's high ends or even higher at all.

I don't know what 616 Cap's high ends would be. But I definitely don't think he's consistently on that level.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: Sorry, Jash beat me to it. Yeah, that's the one. Although if you don't want to spend time quoting that, I have a screen shot right here:

No Caption Provided

Just in case it's easier for you to post a scan than to copy/paste-quote something. But yeah, based on this, you can't scale helicopter feat off of Cap and apply it to Bucky's metal arm, and by the same token, for Black Panther, But regardless, I don't think T'Challa is stronger than Bucky's metal arm based on things I brought up above.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 anthp2000  Moderator

@krleavenger:

I think your reasoning makes sense. There's also this moment from his fight with Steve later on, which I believe wasn't included in the final cut, where he seems to slightly overpower him, so collectively, I'd say T'Challa is stronger than Cap and comparable to Bucky's metal arm - but I doubt he can consistently just overpower the latter, that would be inconsistent, and I think choreography implied it took skill as well. Keep in mind that Bucky overpowered Steve's entire body strength with his bionic arm alone a bit earlier.

Avatar image for blackpantherisb
blackpantherisb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

616 Cap solidly.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KrleAvenger

@anthp2000: Sorry for longer post. I thought it would be pretty short but I just had more things to say.

which I believe wasn't included in the final cut, where he seems to slightly overpower him

You are correct. I re-watched the airport scene before posting that comment yesterday and that part is composed of two shots. First one being T'Challa pushing the shield downward, and the second shot being Cap's face up-close.

No Caption Provided

And if you re-watch the scene, you will see that only the first shot makes the final cut. We don't see the second one with Cap's face and the shield being pulled downward even further. So based on the final cut, T'Challa didn't actually overpower Cap. The first shot (the only one that made the final cut) shows Cap stopping T'Challa's assault. What we see later is War Machine pulling his weapon out and the second shot with Cap is T'Challa kicking him and sending him backwards without even touching the shield.

so collectively, I'd say T'Challa is stronger than Cap and comparable to Bucky's metal arm

I disagree simply because he never overpowered him on screen. But even if we take that cut shot at face value, I still wouldn't say T'Challa is outright stronger than Cap. Based on the way strength is used, one can overpower the other depending on a situation if your strength is comparable. Unless you strait up humiliate your opponent or do something as ridiculous that is not even debatable, like Bucky overpowering Cap's entire body with just his arm, I don't think it strait up proves you are stronger.

T'Challa just pushed Cap's arms downward while grabbing his shield, but the way he overpowered him wasn't extremely drastic or one-sided. He just pushed him downward, and that by itself doesn't mean he is strait up stronger than Rogers. Bucky was able to stop T'Challa's "going for the kill" assault even with his regular arm, which should be equal to Cap in strength.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

So I wouldn't say he is comparable to Bucky's metal arm either. During their airplane fight, T'Challa was going for the kill while Bucky wanted to tell him he didn't kill his father. They had different mindset, and despite what some people may say, mindset is extremely important in battles, especially the ones that require skill. When Bucky held T'Challa by the neck, he also used his regular arm to restrain T'Challa's other arm and push him backwards. The only reason why T'Challa overpowered the grip was because he used his leg to stop Bucky. Bucky told him he didn't kill his father which gave T'Challa a moment he needed to overpower the grip. But one thing people miss is that, by the time T'Challa started to move Bucky's hand to the side, Bucky immediately broke T'Challa's own grip quite casually.

No Caption Provided

Prior to it, T'Challa couldn't break the grip to his neck and got pushed backwards (if you find a slow motion version you will see this), until he used his leg to stop Bucky's movement. And even after that, he needed a moment to find his balance prior to the dialogue.

No Caption Provided

You can also see (in the gif prior to the one above) that T'Challa actually overpowered Bucky's non metal arm with his own. The same non metal arm Bucky actually used to stop T'Challa's assault during their first fight and prevent his arms from moving an inch closer to his face. And for the record, there are a handful of instances when Bucky actually used either his metal arm, or his non metal arm to actually block and counter T'Challa's strikes, something he shouldn't be able to do with his regular arm if T'Challa's strength was actually comparable to, or superior to his metal arm. And skill wouldn't be a factor IMO because T'Challa is a better fighter than Bucky.

You could also argue that T'Challa used his ring (which apparently has magnetic properties) to overpower the grip. Since he used his right arm to do so, the arm he actually wields the ring on and the same ring he actually used on Bucky before. Although this could be a stretch and I'm just bringing up all the possibilities and letting you decide. It's still worth mentioning, especially because when T'Challa "overpowered" Bucky's grip, it made similar sound effect to the one we saw when this happened:

No Caption Provided

Regardless, my point is that, Bucky was able to use his regular arm to block T'Challa's strikes and was even able to stop his killing blow using his regular arm as well. By the same token, T'Challa was actually able to overpower Bucky's regular arm as well. Bucky (without his metal arm) is comparable to Rogers in strength, and T'Challa did nothing more to Rogers than move his arms and shield downward, and not doing it very easily. It was also cut from theatrical release and again, by the same token, you can say Rogers was able to use his strength to stop T'Challa's assault and prevent him from pushing him downward, since only the first shot made the final cut.

At the end of the day, I would say Cap, T'Challa and Bucky (without metal arm) are equally strong, and anyone can overpower the other based on situation, circumstances and overall how you apply skill in fights. I already addressed T'Challa overpowering the metal arm. At the end of the day, I don't think any of them are as strong as 616 Cap, even less stronger. I'm not gonna count Bucky's metal arm because it's a bit difficult to quantify exactly how strong it is, since it relies on scaling (valid scaling yes, but still hard to measure).

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

@krleavenger:

I think our disagreement has to do with wether or not this moment from the trailer is canon to the film. There are several deleted and alternate scenes that didn't make it to the movie but are actually "canon" - it's hard to call them canon because, technically, some of then never took place in the continuity, however they are legimate as the directors/writers wanted them to happen.

I don't know about this particular showing, but there's a good chance it wasn't included due to time issues, or that it happened while Rhodey was on-screen instead. I doubt they filmed it and then said "we decided Cap won't struggle with T'Challa because they're just as strong". I mean, it's rather consistent with Steve not handling the metal arm nearly as well in the past as T'Challa always did, no?

I do, however, agree on your take on the mindset difference and its effect in combat, 100% true.