Anyone Else NOT Convinced Prime IW Thor Would Beat Endgame Thanos?

Avatar image for immoralimmortal
#1 Edited by immoralimmortal (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

I think even an in-shape Thor with Stormbreaker loses to gemless Thanos

I don't buy into the theory the Russo's had to nerf Thor in Endgame or else he would've annihilated gemless Thanos. I think Thanos is simply Thor's kryptonite in the MCU. the only way Thor could possibly kill him is with a surprise attack like the Russo's implied

#2 Posted by phillip33 (4594 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is on another level.

#3 Posted by ThorofAsgard (808 posts) - - Show Bio

If Carol can so can Thor.

#4 Posted by TakenStew22 (5780 posts) - - Show Bio

I also never considered Fat Thor to be that weaker than IW Thor. EG Thanos was wrestling him with both SB and Mjolnir and even dodged a few swings from him.

#5 Edited by phillip33 (4594 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorofasgard: carol never beat thanos. She briefly overpowered him while she was absorbing energy from the gauntlet and thanos was weakened from the gauntlet. Thanos ragdolled her and tanked her punches before.

#6 Posted by Crunch5481 (1633 posts) - - Show Bio

The directors have explicitly stated that Thor only did good because he caught Thanos completely off guard in IW. Even Prime Thor gets wrecked by Thanos

Avatar image for finalkingthanos
#7 Posted by FinalKingThanos (3200 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor has bad record against powerhouses like hulk Kurse and Thanos he struggles to contend a lot of the time once it’s hand to hand but he’s up there especially with stormbreakers blade edge now.

Regarding the op he has slim to none chance of beating Thanos in a head to head battle especially if both are in full gear.

Carol is still a toss up but the only heroes that can get Thanos in a fair fight are the two hax/magic users and even then they are a hit away from losing. It’s weird though neither actually have shown a way to kill him even when Wanda has him raised the best she got to was armor stripping, hopefully we get directors comments on that scene.

Ironically Stormbreaker is the biggest danger to Thanos though.

#8 Posted by MethoKi (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

If Thor doesn't fight like an idiot like he usually does, I don't see how he wouldn't beat Thanos. He has a weapon he can throw and call on a whim and has proven to be able to kill Thanos. He can also call down torrents of lightning and shoot lightning from his weapon and body that we see can at least momentarily inconvenience Thanos

Also, not a battle.

#9 Edited by FinalKingThanos (3200 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242:

I disagree but taking your opinion into consideration Thanos chest plate tanked A SB slash and he’s now proven he can grab it twice and even wield it himself.

#10 Edited by phillip33 (4594 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242: how does Thor get past thanos’s armor, even if he does manage to land a hit on the more skilled, more physically imposing opponent? Thanos also has a weapon he can throw like a boomerang, creating literally the same effect as stormbreaker, that even has a better piercing feat than stormbreaker. If anything thanos catches stormbreaker out of the air like he already did, or just rips it out of Thor’s hands because he is physically superior.

#11 Posted by MethoKi (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242:

I disagree but taking your opinion into consideration Thanos chest plate tanked A SN slash and he’s now proven he can grab it twice and even wield it himself.

How strong was this slash? Was it a full on swing to the plate?

#12 Edited by EmmaFrostXmen (4185 posts) - - Show Bio

No only Wanda and Carol can

Thor only stabbed Thanos because he didn’t know Stormbreaker was coming. Thanos is a full tier above any Thor, and Thanos has shown the ability to react to Stormbreaker and easily deflect it

#13 Edited by phillip33 (4594 posts) - - Show Bio

@emmafrostxmen: carol can’t do it if there’s no outside energy source, like the ig, to draw upon.

#14 Edited by FinalKingThanos (3200 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242:

It’s weird on mobile I cant link pics or videos properly sorry but -

One handed but looked like a fairly good swing imo, look up on YouTube Captain Marvel vs Thanos Theres a video that starts with the Aforce charge and the armor feat happens when Thanos fights off the trinity over the gauntlet just after he blows up the quantum Van.

I think it’s a good showing that it will take quite a bit more to get through his torso armor anyway let me know what you think.

#15 Posted by MethoKi (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242: how does Thor get past thanos’s armor, even if he does manage to land a hit on the more skilled, more physically imposing opponent? Thanos also has a weapon he can throw like a boomerang, creating literally the same effect as stormbreaker, that even has a better piercing feat than stormbreaker.

I don't recall the armor ever taking a full on swing from Stormbreaker, so I think it's pretty viable that Thor can get past it. Thor also has weather manipulation, a power we haven't seen in full effect since his debut film.

#16 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (4185 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: Lol that’s a headcannon unless you shown me a video of the energy directly leaving the stone and going to her body

#17 Posted by MethoKi (12589 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by nfactor1995 (13444 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. EG Thanos would beat prime IW Thor.

#19 Posted by jashro44 (55177 posts) - - Show Bio

I think thanos would win but in a tough fight.

#20 Posted by FinalKingThanos (3200 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242:

https://youtu.be/iMS7zAIG7Do

There you go my friend I think it also shows how good Thanos is at fighting teams this was a little after the Wanda fight.

#21 Posted by Amendment50 (16124 posts) - - Show Bio

That Thor was any weaker in Endgame was just pure speculation to begin with

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf823e3012e8
#22 Posted by deactivated-5cf823e3012e8 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor at his best can beat Thanos without the gems.

#23 Posted by FinalKingThanos (3200 posts) - - Show Bio

@settled:

He has a decent chance against Thanos with no stones or armor or weapons purely because of Stormbreaker but I would still give Thanos the better chance.

#24 Posted by Eobard21 (6427 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is just way above

Iw Thor or not

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#25 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (18739 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree

#26 Posted by Namebk (1796 posts) - - Show Bio

Prime Thor with Mjolnir and Stormbreaker should win if he uses his abilities correctly.

#27 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (18739 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: there’s no actual proof of Carol absorbing the stones energy, that’s fan-theory.

Avatar image for darthvaderrocks
#28 Posted by darthvaderrocks (2967 posts) - - Show Bio

Ofc Thor would lose. When you have to rely on "if he fought smart" to say Thor would win then you're already at a disadvantage because you're basically admitting he's not gonna fight smart but if by some miracle he would then blah blah.

Any Thor is just a bad match up for Thanos.

#29 Posted by MethoKi (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242:

https://youtu.be/iMS7zAIG7Do

There you go my friend I think it also shows how good Thanos is at fighting teams this was a little after the Wanda fight.

That's not really that good. Thanos was able to avoid the brunt of that hit and the tip of the blade grazed his armor. Do you think it would've endured had Thanos not moved and the center of the blade had made contact with the torso?

It's not much different from Diana's flail on Steppenwolf's calf.

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
#30 Posted by EternalDarkFury (3428 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos>Thor. Nothing else to be said and the final battle of EG proved it.

Avatar image for darthvaderrocks
#31 Posted by darthvaderrocks (2967 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242: That's really just a feat for Thanos that further confirms he's not getting tagged by Thor that could put his life at any danger. Thanos can also one shot Thor as of Endgame so really any battle is over within seconds.

#32 Posted by MethoKi (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242: That's really just a feat for Thanos that further confirms he's not getting tagged by Thor that could put his life at any danger. Thanos can also one shot Thor as of Endgame so really any battle is over within seconds.

That doesn't answer my question at all.

#33 Posted by FinalKingThanos (3200 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242:

Really ? Like what else do you want him to do pose a little and charge some lightning lol he full on swings at Thanos mainly aiming for chest and neck / head.

If Thanos didn’t have his armor then I believe that would have cut him open atm I’m of the opinion SB is that it can cut almost anything in the mcu.

Thanos has tanked absolutely every attack thrown at him except that axe all the way during EG he either avoided it or countered it.

#34 Edited by uugieboogie (13747 posts) - - Show Bio

Not saying he can beat Thanos or not, but Thor was clearly weaker/nerfed in EG and fought like an idiot. Not a single time in either of their two scuffles did he use lightning other than when he powered up Tony. Thanos had him pinned down, pushing his axe into him and instead of using lightning they had him just sit there. Can’t say “but he was hurt and being pinned down!” because he was being pinned down, and a lot more damaged when he did it to Hela. Thor wouldn’t beat a fully geared up Thanos, but Thor, who uses his powers like in Ragnarok, has stormbreaker and determined like he was in IW would give Thanos a hell of a fight and do a lot better than Thunderless Thor in EG.

#35 Posted by Redshift_Bacon (1361 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah you're not the only one.

Thanos is a tier above IW Thor and CM. Only characters that could defeat him are ppl like Celestial Star-Lord (due to neigh-immortality & Regen) or Hard-Counters like SW.

#36 Posted by phillip33 (4594 posts) - - Show Bio

@emmafrostxmen: just watch a gif. You see more energy swirl around her hands and the gauntlet than her entire body. Now let’s factor in the fact that she was unable to cause him any damage before hand and she got ragdolled near effortlessly, then let’s consider that the gauntlet weakens the user considerably as seen with hulk, then let’s add in the fact that carols signature power and ability is to absorb and store large amounts of energy and you begin to see a little more clear. This isn’t headcannon.

#37 Posted by MethoKi (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242:

Really ? Like what else do you want him to do pose a little and charge some lightning lol he full on swings at Thanos mainly aiming for chest and neck / head.

If Thanos didn’t have his armor then I believe that would have cut him open atm I’m of the opinion SB is that it can cut almost anything in the mcu.

Thanos has tanked absolutely every attack thrown at him except that axe all the way during EG he either avoided it or countered it.

This doesn't answer my question. I asked what would happen had Thanos not dodged it with his armor on. It's being argued as though his armor took on a center swing from the ax when in the video you linked, it's clearly not the case.

#38 Posted by MethoKi (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

Not saying he can beat Thanos or not, but Thor was clearly weaker/nerfed in EG and fought like an idiot. Not a single time in either of their two scuffles did he use lightning other than when he powered up Tony. Thanos had him pinned down, pushing his axe into him and instead of using lightning they had him just sit there. Can’t say “but he was hurt and being pinned down!” because he was being pinned down, and a lot more damaged when he did it to Hela. Thor probably wouldn’t beat a fully geared up Thanos, but Thor, who uses his powers like in Ragnarok, has stormbreaker and determined like he was in IW would give Thanos a hell of a fight and do a lot better than Thunderless Thor in EG.

I agree with that point. Honestly, Thor has fought like an idiot for the majority of his fights and I do feel as though he was nerfed.

#39 Posted by phillip33 (4594 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242: it tanked a glancing blow with no notable damage, but it doesn’t matter because Thor would never have the opportunity to get off a full on, uninhibited swing on thanos because thanos is more skilled, physically stronger, and has a weapon of his own to parry with. Not to mention thanos can wield stormbreaker and just strip it out of his hand.

#40 Posted by FinalKingThanos (3200 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242:

Ahh ok apologies

I think either the same happens or at best it catches into it a bit, Thanos blade and armor seemed to be of a similar level to Uru.

#41 Posted by Iron_Tiger (1525 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, I'm not convinced IW/EG Thor would lose to Thanos.

#42 Posted by phillip33 (4594 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness: you don’t need the directors to explicitly state it to be true. Movies don’t have narration like a comic book does. Sometimes you need to connect the dots, and it’s pretty clear what happened. Explain to me then how thanos was able to casually throw her off of him before hand and was basically at her mercy after he put on the gauntlet. Not to mention the gauntlet physically weakens the user.

#43 Posted by MethoKi (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242: it tanked a glancing blow with no notable damage, but it doesn’t matter because Thor would never have the opportunity to get off a full on, uninhibited swing on thanos because thanos is more skilled, physically stronger, and has a weapon of his own to parry with. Not to mention thanos can wield stormbreaker and just strip it out of his hand.

There goes the third time in one thread my actual question goes unanswered...

#44 Posted by Karkus (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, I'm not convinced IW/EG Thor would lose to Thanos.

You're not convinced EG Thor would lose to Thanos? We also don't know if IW Thor=EG Thor.

#45 Posted by ThorofAsgard (808 posts) - - Show Bio

To say there’s no difference between Prime IW Thor and Fat Thor is crazy. He was slow and didn’t even fly. You give IW Thor both weapons he could very well win when focused and in prime shape. He’s Thor after all.

#46 Edited by phillip33 (4594 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242: it would have stopped the axe. Well it wouldn’t have stopped it dead in it’s tracks because thanos would feel the impact of the blow. But the armor would have held. Now how exactly does Thor get the opportunity to land an uninhibited strike to do this to thanos without the benefit of surprise.

#47 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (18739 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: this one isn’t all that clear though, it just looks like she’s powering up. The circumstances when Thanos threw her before was different because he just used her momentum against her, he didn’t have that luxury the second time.

#48 Posted by MethoKi (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242:

Ahh ok apologies

I think either the same happens or at best it catches into it a bit, Thanos blade and armor seemed to be of a similar level to Uru.

Thanks for answering.

Now what leads you to think if the armor can take a center swing? The graze alone caused a spark. Sparks are really just small particles of metal that ignite in the air from friction. This would mean Stormbreaker-- with the very tip that touched the armor was able to chink into it enough to knock away some of it.

I personally don't see how the armor can take an actual hit from Stormbreaker.

#50 Posted by Karkus (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor probably wouldn't beat Endgame Thanos unless he fights very smart with tornadoes and other of his more versatile abilities, but it's very unlikely he would fight like this, as he rarely does, and didn't do it when he fought Thanos in endgame. Endgame Thanos had a blade capable of matching Stormbreaker, and his armor was able to tank slashes from it. Thanos is also more skilled than Thor according to the Russos.