Posted by BlueComet (1081 posts) 4 years, 3 months ago

Poll: America: George Washington or Superman? (29 votes)

George Washington 45%
Superman 48%

Who's the better American icon, Superman or George Washington? Yes, I know it's a stupid question, but I'm curious to see what you (comic vine) come up with. So who is it...

#1 Edited by Perezite (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn you for such a hard to answer and provocative question, damn you!

#2 Posted by russellmania77 (17603 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh baby Japanese superman per swayed me to choose

#nobody will get that reference

#4 Edited by JohnnyZ256 (5602 posts) - - Show Bio

George Washington. This isn't really a battle.

#5 Edited by Perezite (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh baby Japanese superman per swayed me to choose

#nobody will get that reference

Goku.

#6 Posted by ssejllenrad (13111 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncle Sam

#7 Posted by Perezite (1458 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Edited by Cybrilious4 (1990 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously George Washington.

Where was Superman when America gained its independence from British?

Where was Superman during the American Revolution?

Where was Superman when our nation clashed into Civil War?

Why isn't he one of the founding fathers who signed the Decleration of Independence?

Think about it folks.

#9 Edited by HBKTimHBK (5731 posts) - - Show Bio

@cybrilious4 said:

To be fair, George Washington wasn't there either.

#10 Posted by BlueComet (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

@cybrilious4: At least 5 people would have to disagree with you... This is comic vine after all.

#11 Posted by Cybrilious4 (1990 posts) - - Show Bio

@hbktimhbk:

The point is Superman was never there for us when we were beginning to establish as a nation.

#12 Posted by dondave (41575 posts) - - Show Bio

@hbktimhbk:

The point is Superman was never there for us when we were beginning to establish as a nation.

Technically, he wasn't alive so you can't really blame him?

#13 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5731 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is a reasonable answer, but I say that because it's asking for who's the better American icon. I never thought of George Washington as an icon for my country, I thought of him as the historical figure that he was.

#14 Posted by russellmania77 (17603 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Perezite (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is a reasonable answer, but I say that because it's asking for who's the better American icon. I never thought of George Washington as an icon for my country, I thought of him as the historical figure that he was.

Agreed.

#16 Edited by Perezite (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

Lincoln though...

#17 Edited by tg1982 (2832 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO, not that hard. Superman's adventures and feats aren't real. Everything George Washington did was real. And in my opinion GW's biggest feat was stepping away from power when the time was right to do so, there aren't a lot of people who would be willing to do that, just look at what's happening now as proof.

Why isn't he one of the founding fathers who signed the Decleration of Independence?

Think about it folks.

I left out the Civil War because it was already mentioned, but George Washington never signed the Declaration of Independence, he was not a member of the Continental Congress. He did, however, preside over the convention that drafted the Constitution.

#18 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (2084 posts) - - Show Bio

George Washington was a good military commander and good president. However his presidency could've been adequately filled by Adams or Jefferson. Similarly his military contribution was dwarfed by that of the French and paradoxically, the British people who didn't want to fight a war against America.

Superman on the other hand continues to inspire Americans to this day and was hugely influential to comics and sci-fi.

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
#19 Edited by Ancient_0f_Days (15122 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by King Saturn (221465 posts) - - Show Bio

I will take Superman... only because George Washington didn't do sh!t to help curve Slavery in America... Superman if he was real would have tried to put a stop to such acts in America.

#21 Posted by Sideslash (6154 posts) - - Show Bio

I'mma go with George. Kal's an illegal alien.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
#22 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@cybrilious4 said:

Where was Superman when America gained its independence from British?

Where was Superman during the American Revolution?

Think about it folks.

Washington did not do half of the things mentioned but nonetheless I get your point.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#23 Posted by AllStarSuperman (39862 posts) - - Show Bio

Kal, especially john bryne post crisis Superman. Back then he screamed go America. The last page of man of steel proves it. He was actually born on earth and was american.

#24 Posted by Perezite (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

I will take Superman... only because George Washington didn't do sh!t to help curve Slavery in America... Superman if he was real would have tried to put a stop to such acts in America.

In fact, he was a slave owner who took a personal offense whenever they tried escaping his plantation and hunted them down with as much lack of mercy as he could.

#25 Posted by spiderbuck1 (2762 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone here except for the Native Americans are immigrants.

So I'm still going with Superman. At least he never owned slaves.

#26 Posted by Sideslash (6154 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideslash said:

But Kal's illegal.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
#27 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going with Supes, I love Washington as a historical figure though (I'm a huge history buff).

#28 Edited by spiderbuck1 (2762 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbuck said:

@sideslash said:

But Kal's illegal.

So was George.

No Caption Provided

#29 Edited by Sideslash (6154 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by DaDivineKing (43815 posts) - - Show Bio

#31 Posted by SpideyPresence (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

In the midst of a revolution, that wasn't a priority. If he split the country up over that issue so early on then America wouldn't have gotten their independence. Although early on he owned many slaves, by the time of his presidency he seemed to have believed slavery was morally wrong.and against the principles of the constitution, which was quite the unpopular opinion back then.

For me this is a stomp, a fictional character could never be more iconic to the United States, then the man who guided it's birth.

#32 Edited by Skit (5292 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman,considering what was viewed as right during George Washington's time period.

#33 Posted by King Saturn (221465 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn said:

In the midst of a revolution, that wasn't a priority. If he split the country up over that issue so early on then America wouldn't have gotten their independence. Although early on he owned many slaves, by the time of his presidency he seemed to have believed slavery was morally wrong.and against the principles of the constitution, which was quite the unpopular opinion back then.

For me this is a stomp, a fictional character could never be more iconic to the United States, then the man who guided it's birth.

Well as a Minority the idea of Whites owning Blacks as property Not being a Priority does not strike me as Patriotic or a quality of what I would even call a "Real Man" so there is no way I could back him or people who supported slavery regardless of the conditions.

#PutThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

#34 Edited by spiderbuck1 (2762 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by spiderbuck1 (2762 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideypresence said:

@king_saturn said:

Well as a Minority the idea of Whites owning Blacks as property Not being a Priority does not strike me as Patriotic or a quality of what I would even call a "Real Man" so there is no way I could back him or people who supported slavery regardless of the conditions.

#PutThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

No Caption Provided

#36 Edited by XxGin (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America

#37 Edited by Backflip (2287 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbuck: Shut up you. Right now.

Let's be clear, the American continent existed and was populated long before the USA and it'll exist long after it. Yes Washington was an 'illegal'.