User Lists: 1

Kya in a very tough fight

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'll make a case for Aang when I get my PC. I think he has bases covered to take a majority in this battle.

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mantraxsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aang 7/10.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got Aang. Getting rekt by Zaheer isn't a feat.

runs

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By byondeon

Kya is below most named benders. She is liteally in the bottom 5 worst named water benders when it comes to fighting. Aang is top 6 worst. Aang wins.

Avatar image for shepardoakenprime
ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShepardOakenPrime

Kya for majority. Aang's fire is not noteworthy and she's a better waterbender and combatant with the element. If she can handle Ming Hua who is far more deadly with water than him I see no reason why Aang is beating her.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 anthp2000  Moderator

Kya. Between Aang's speed, agility, and general combat utility, he could challenge her even with those two elements in play, but he's not nearly good enough to actually press an advantage. She's miles more skillful than him, and every bit as strong as a young Avatar. Aang is also not an aggressive fighter, so there's no common scenario where she'd fail to plow through everything he could try. I do find it funny that they both gained a brief upper hand over Ming Hua and Combustion Man respectively the same way.

Lorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vs who

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kya for majority. Aang's fire is not noteworthy and she's a better waterbender and combatant with the element. If she can handle Ming Hua who is far more deadly with water than him I see no reason why Aang is beating her.

Kya. Between Aang's speed, agility, and general combat utility, he could challenge her even with those two elements in play, but he's not nearly good enough to actually press an advantage. She's miles more skillful than him, and every bit as strong as a young Avatar. Aang is also not an aggressive fighter, so there's no common scenario where she'd fail to plow through everything he could try. I do find it funny that they both gained a brief upper hand over Ming Hua and Combustion Man respectively the same way.

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm agreeing with the above though I'd like to see @viking1205's case if Viking still feels that way.

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off, I think this is a great matchup, since arguments favoring both sides could be made. I believe Aang with restricted to just his water and firebending --two of his weakest elements across all facets of bending, is capable enough to pull off the victory against his daughter. I'll try to break it down to why I think he could do this, eventually.

First off, as far as matchups of this tier are concerned, Aang with water and fire, has a well rounded skillset with suitable power required to take the cake. I'll go into his raw strength first before moving to his skillset, the second section would be more of a combination of both elements, rather than one at a time.

Firebending strength:

Aang is not the strongest firebenders, not even close and it's also his weakest element, in terms of both skillset and quantity of showings. That much is clear, but I don't think the lack of number of showings should be used as a knock on him since the few showings he has are pretty good for a talented rookie.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Sozin's Comet
Avatar: The Last Airbender - Sozin's Comet

Aang's very best display of firebending is probably redirecting the strongest lightning bolt in avatar -- the fifth bolt Ozai shot at him in their duel in Wulong Forest was, according to Ozai, in the monologue in his head, a stronger charge than anything the world has ever seen, means it's arguably the strongest bolt in the franchise. Aang was obviously drained and exhausted after the said feat while Ozai was completely normal after he shot the bolt. So, obviously I'm not going to argue Aang is remotely in the weight class of Ozai, at all. What we could surely say is the effort used to successfully redirect lightning ties directly with the chi in the bender's body - the higher the amount of chi reserves/higher firebending power, the easier it would be redirect the bolt, since the bender wouldn't exhaust everything in the redirection.

IrohIf you let the energy in your own body flow, the lightning will follow it. You must create a pathway from your fingertips, up your arm to your shoulder, then down into your stomach. The stomach is the source of energy in your body. It is called the sea of chi. Only in my case it is more like a vast ocean. From the stomach, you direct it up again, and out the other arm. The stomach detour is critical. You must not let the lightning pass through your heart, or the damage could be deadly. You may wish to try a physical motion, to get a feel for the pathways' flow, like this. Now, are you focusing your energy? Can you feel your own chi flowing in, down, up, and out?

It's likely the reason why Iroh never showed any signs when he redirected Azula's bolt in his ship but Zuko was visibly strained when Ozai shot him.

No Caption Provided

I don't want to bore people further with this theory, so I'll get straight to the point. I think what Aang did was quite comparable to Zuko's own redirection attempt against his father. Zuko's own words about the moment was

'Exhilarating... but terrifying. You feel so powerful holding that much energy in your body'.

Prince Zuko

Both Aang and Zuko faced larger amounts of energy than what they had in their chi reserves by similarly large margins and were drained or thrown back several feet. Zuko dealt his bolt better than Aang since we didn't see him fall down exhausted as bad as Aang was, but I think the showing puts Aang's firebending strength around say two steps or so below Zuko's raw strength. By power, I mean the amount of energy/flame he could conjure and manipulate, obviously Zuko would beat Aang in an agni kai.

Waterbending Strength:

This one's much easier to compare than firebending since both of them are waterbenders and Aang has 'on-screen' manipulated higher mass of water than Kya. Although, I believe they are both comparable in this regard, since we never really saw Kya's upper limit in a pure bending perspective apart from the time she battled Ming Hua and it's not really a knock on Kya since Ming Hua herself is a strong waterbender.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Sokka's Master

Coming back to the point, I can't recollect Kya ever manipulating as much water as Aang did here. Sure he used his airbending to boost the range/speed of the bubble, but that doesn't change what I said earlier, the amount of water doesn't change because of blowing it with wind.

Aang received a certain quantity of water compressed to a small volume from Katara and expanded it later, the quantity of which was enough to cover an entire trench and form a layer of ice on it. For reference, here's an overview shot of the area Aang's bubble covered, which is far bigger than Appa's size.

Not that she isn't capable of what Aang did here, but I'd say she's slightly the weaker one of the two. It also helps that Aang has sort of replicated Kya's strongest showing -- tossing Ming Hua off the Northern Air Temple -- when he beat Combustion Man on top of a train.

ATLA: The Lost Adventures
ATLA: The Lost Adventures

Bending Skill/Combative Proficiency:

Can't lie, Kya is most definitely more skilled than Aang with either of the two elements, individually by all means. She could simultaneously cover her bases and press him on the offense, which is definitely impressive, I think Aang has it covered through other means. Between his combined skillset with water and firebending, inherently higher agility, mobility and speed owing to his specialized training with the monks and superior combative proficiency, I think Aang is capable of bridging the bending gap in skill Kya has over him.

Aang might not be the fiercest warriors going around, but he isn't the timid kid at the start of TLA or the guy that was Azula's punching bag. His improvements in book 3, right from fighting and even beating Combustion Man or holding his own against Ozai are there to be seen and I haven't Kya perform on that level combatively, without overextending herself.

The King of Omashu, The Avatar State

Being the most evasive character we've seen, grown in a community which at it's base prefers evasion, it's not really debatable that Aang's a lot more mobile, agile and definitely quicker than his daughter, even without his airbending, to an extent where landing a hit on him would be entirely hard. He has ran circles around Zuko and was extremely impressive during King Bumi's challenges in book - 1. Not to mention, he made it extremely hard for Ozai to land a hit on him, despite an overwhelming assault from the Firelord. Not that I think it's impossible for Kya to land a hit, but it'd be hard if he's as much serious as he was through book 3.

Even in the cases when she could get the strike in, Aang's defenses are quite decent and more than enough to protect him from harm's way.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Into the Inferno
Avatar: The Last Airbender - Into the Inferno

One of Aang's shields took a direct hit from Ozai and retained shape for the whole of the strike and Aang was also able to defend from 2 other strikes from Ozai, before and after the one in gif(basically 3 successive blasts on the trot), with both destructive property and lethal/piercing ability -- the latter was more or less the same as what Azula did in The Chase to pin down Aang, in the same battle where she was putting holes in buildings like butter. To sum it up, Aang's firebending defenses cover all sorts of strikes that he'll face here - concussive or lethal. I don't think Kya would go through his defenses, not when his agility and reflexes are increbile to begin with.

Coming to talk about Aang's own advantages, his octopus form and fire whips are an incredible combination here since not only do they help counter Kya's best moves - her water ring, which form a simultaneous offensive and defensive combination and her water arms while also help him in an offensive manner. The first one helps him stop at quick barrage of ice or water shards and redirect towards Kya, something that Aang was able to achieve in a training session against Katara. To make things clear, I don't think this puts him anywhere near Katara's level, but good enough against who he's up against, here.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Cave of Two Lovers
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Cave of Two Lovers

Fire whips aren't nearly as versatile as an octopus, but I think given Aang's power with fire and the nature of the move as evidenced in the fight in the catacombs and his own execution of the trick against Ozai -- matching a clear strike from Ozai is legitimately high end for Aang though, he could help press the advantage against Kya in more than one ways.

Lost Adventures, Into the Inferno

To sum it up, I think between his raw strength, combined skill with either element, agility, Aang could likely circumvent Kya's superior bending with water and press forward to take a win.

Lastly, I think it's better I write it here before someone says it, Aang has never used the octopus move in a combat mainly because he was mainly an earth/airbender first than he is a waterbender. So his choice to not use certain move in fight does not indicate inability to use it, not in a fight where he is strictly restricted to just water or fire since there'd never be an in-universe situation where he'd be restricted to these conditions. And I assume I don't need to explain about the combative application of the other showings I've written here since they've mostly happened in combat.

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chloros said:

I'm agreeing with the above though I'd like to see @viking1205's case if Viking still feels that way.

I was drafting it when you tagged me here, so anyway, let me know your thoughts on it!

RonnyLamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking1205: aang only impressive move is the water he threw at cmab on the train but kya can handle that.

Oh also the blast he did against Ozai.

She showed more techniques much more and knows the technical side and is better combatatively.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One beat CM the other lost to Zaheer, gee I wonder.

anderioan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon said:

Kya is below most named benders. She is liteally in the bottom 5 worst named water benders when it comes to fighting. Aang is top 6 worst. Aang wins.

This, and I would say Aang still take this even using his two worst elements.

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aang should win this eventually, close fight tho.

Lamar24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lamar24
Lamar24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kataraaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kataraaaa

Aang. Kya is fodder

psychoboy4EVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kya's more mobile and versatile as a waterbender, but his agility (even without bending enhancements from air) lets him to likely avoid Kya's whips and evade her icicle spam, drawing her eventually into clashing directly with Aang to use her scale, which Aang can more than match her with.

Aang wins by directly overpowering her, 7-8/10 + mid-high diff (early-mid fight W, probably).

psychoboy4EVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking1205: I know I'm 2 years late, but this is a spectacular analysis.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Aang every time. Kya didn't do anything to make me think this match would be close.

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers