Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Aang - is Season 1-3/Comic(aka kid form) - NO Avatar State

VS

Gambit - Is in base form

Morals: Off for Gambit, Character Based for Aang

Bloodlust: Character Based

Gear: Aang has glider, Gambit has his standard stuff. Such as deck of cards and staff.

Prep: 30 Minutes for Aang

In My Opinion: See comment section.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By butterflykyss

I'm going with Aang. too versatile

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aang

Comic_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright so in a solid fight, I'd go with Aang 7/10. With the glider he can attack from all angles, including from above. Which I think would be hard to overcome. Not only this, but he has a debatable speed advantage as a lightning timer + he's shown to consistently be a step ahead in speed of Zuko in almost all of their skirmishes. This is important as Zuko practically outpaced lightning. Not to mention with AOE wind blasts, Gambit's physicals/movement will be sufficiently nullified and slowed. While a single explosive attack could be devastating to Aang, especially if he charges Aang's clothing as he did to Cap America. My thought would be, would he land this potentially lethal attack? Aang's attack potency may be underwhelming, but you cannot say the same about Aang's defense. He avoids and evades, "classic airbending technique" (-Bumi).. He does this well. He has FTE speed, he can use the earth as a shielding from Gambit's attacks, he can take to the skies and in doing so be out of Remy's range. Ultimately, if Gambit is able to effectively land a decent blow, I think he can take it, perhaps. That's not only due to Aang's fantastic defensive techniques as mentioned before, but he can trap Remy by bringing the earth to restrain Gambit's legs and deliver air attacks, those of which would be multi ton lvl. Gambit will inevitably Ko'ed.

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s almost like asking if Gambit can beat Storm

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By geekryan

@comic_crusader: Avatar Lightning ≠ Real Lightning

I'm a massive Avatar fan, trust me, but Gambit is just way too fast for Aang.

Avatar-verse characters are roughly arrow-speed in terms of reactions

Comic_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan:

Isn't it a little bit presumptuous to say Avatar lightning isn't equal to real lightning in speed? There's nothing to base it being slower on, especially when Aang has covered roughly 100 feet in a second or less, he's shown to be faster than the eye can see. It's not like it's unrealistic to say it's equal to real lightning in speed. Of course, you could ask me the same question - what am I basing it off of for it to be the same. Well, it looks like lightning and it's called like lightning. Of course, maybe the writers weren't thinking of it like that, but we can't possibly assume. Then it would apply to so many verses, and so many characters that then reacting to lightning attacks aren't viable. It's better left not questioned cause there's no factual way to say otherwise.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By geekryan

@comic_crusader: It is just as presumptuous to assume that lightning in the Avatar-verse is just as fast as real lightning.

I'll invite you to do some research on CV and otherwise about the discussion of lightning-timing in the Avatar verse. Threads such as this one briefly discuss it: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/how-fast-is-the-avatar-the-last-airbender-universe-1685951/

It is generally accepted amongst Avatar fans and those on CV that the lightning from Avatar is not as fast as real lightning. In fact, the only time anyone has actually reacted to real/natural lightning is the following:

No Caption Provided

Notice the difference in colour between that lightning and alllll other lightning that comes from firebenders who can shoot lightning.

Everything in fiction is slower than real life. Lightning, bullets, lasers, etc. To suggest that all lightning in fiction is as fast as real lightning is the same as saying that if a character can react to a laser beam attack, they are FTL because laser = light

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Warlockmage

if Avatar characters are lightning timers, then Gambit is FTL (dodging Cyclops and other lasers) and he still speedblitzes.

even when using their own poor logic Gambit wins. and morals off Gambit will win (OP was unclear they aren't morals off it seems)

Comic_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan: lightning can be Yellow, Blue, or white. So bringing up the fact that lightning in A:TLA has shown to be different colors seems futile to me, when that's actually just being accurate. Regardless, lightning bending(after a quick research) is the separation of chi yin and yang, which causes an imbalance. This causes the chi energies to collapse on each other and literally creates lightning. If this method is a different color, that has 0 correlation to speed. Heck, even in real lightning color can vary due to the hotness of the bolt, but not the speed. This proves my point that again, you have nothing to suggest it's a different speed.

"It is just as presumptuous to assume that lightning in the Avatar Verse is just as fast as real lightning."

If you think it's "just as presumptuous" (meaning we're on equal footing) then it seems mildly absurd that you felt the need to correct me in the first place, all due respect.

I think at this point it's an agree to disagree type of thing, I think because it looks like lightning, and is called lightning. Which I have no reason to believe that somehow this is slower lightning. If we aren't basing it off of IRL Lightning, then what are we basing it off of? Sure, like I said - The writers/creators may of not thought about lightning being as fast as it is, but in these theoretical debates.. it's pointless to say it's slower, it'll just be a you said, I said. Your word against mine. Furthermore, I understand that the Viners may agree that real lightning>A:TLA, but that doesn't mean I should take it as fact. Those who believe that have an opinion, same as mine.

Comic_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlockmage:

Morals are off for Gambit, not for Aang. Speed blitz would imply combat speed. I notice you brought up a reaction speed feat(?).

Also, in my opening comment for this battle, Aang has his glider which he can take to the skies with. I don't believe any "speed blitzing" will be happening.

Lastly, as I already mentioned, he can send AOE air blasts, which would nullify Gambit's movement, again, I say, no "speedblitzing" is happening for this fight.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By geekryan

@comic_crusader: Alright dude.

But just warning you, if you go around on CV saying that people from Avatar are lightning-timers, people will either think you are trolling, or worse. You are entitled to your own opinion, but it is in the vast minority.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:

Comic_Crusader marked this as the best answer

@comic_crusader: Alright dude.

But just warning you, if you go around on CV saying that people from Avatar are lightning-timers, people will either think you are trolling, or worse. You are entitled to your own opinion, but it is in the vast minority.

Not all characters are arrow timers and aang is way above arrow timing. He's already shown way higher reactionary feats and u know this. Anyway gambit can be tricky with his cards, but I don't see why Aang doesn't win

Avatar image for shepardoakenprime
ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comic_crusader: Seismic waves statue avatar characters, yet they can easily compete with lightning. Could be wrong about the whole science part of this, but the fastest waves move at most around 31,300 mph while lightning is supposed to be 220,000,000. Its even likely what Iroh is reacting to is a lightning leader (cloud to ground visible lightning) which is only 220,000.

So yeah the lightning is slower, you can even see the wave behind Iroh moving while the bolt is traveling, then theres the problem that its inconsistent, like it travels a few yards in over a second then towers a mountain in under a second. They simply slow it down so we and the characters can react to it, characters and even Aang has failed to react to bending far too many times even if the lightning was clearly it's supposed speed to be consistent.

Comic_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Comic_Crusader

@shepardoakenprime:

It may be inconsistent, but not as much as many other pieces of fiction, yet we call them FTL or SOL, or sometimes MFTL. Superman, Wonder Woman, Thor, heck, even Gladiator(probably one of the fastest Marvel Character) has been tagged by Wolverine. Why do characters such as these get a pass?

To be honest though, Aang isn't really inconsistent at all. It's a classic air bending technique to avoid and evade, he's shown to dodge fire and earth attacks countless times. If he gets tagged, there's usually more that meets the eye in the context. Ex. If he was distracted by another attack, or something like that.

Of course, they slow it down so we as a viewer can see(it's worth noting we can see lightning as well), they do this in Dragon Ball as well, their fight scenes don't end in a nanosecond yet they're universally considered FTL/MFTL. This applies to many other verses, even comics - where we can see what's happening, even if they're in hyper space.

I get what you're saying, only the return stroke of lightning is 1/3 SOL. I can't really argue with that as it's just facts, but I will say I never said them being lighting timers was the return stroke or not in my earlier comments. It's worth noting that the return stroke is the most luminous, and NOTICEABLE part of the lightning. So it's not a reach to suggest the creators based this lightning, on what they see of lightning. Not to mention the look of the lightning in A:TLA looks like it.

I've even heard characters are SOL/FTL in A:TLA.. while I don't necessarily agree with it, but I admit they have an argument (it has something to do with spiritual energy(which characters have dodged) being proved to be light or something like that). So I was surprised to be called out for merely calling them lightning timers.

Regardless, there's no way we can factually say either way, and I acknowledge that. I just refuse to put A:TLA on a completely lower pedestal to other fictional verses that people accept their speed in. #DoubleStandard

EDIT: here's a link to someone arguing that it is same as real lightning: https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterRant/comments/7951d2/no_lightning_bending_isnt_slower_than_sound/ check it out!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c917f846ef0b
deactivated-5c917f846ef0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remy on account of being a good tiers faster

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Remy is better, at everything.

Comic_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king-ragnar:

I respectfully disagree. Care to elaborate?

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambit wins.

Avatar image for shepardoakenprime
ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comic_crusader:

It may be inconsistent, but not as much as many other pieces of fiction, yet we call them FTL or SOL, or sometimes MFTL. Superman, Wonder Woman, Thor, heck, even Gladiator(probably one of the fastest Marvel Character) has been tagged by Wolverine. Why do characters such as these get a pass?

Avatar characters don't have 40+ years of different writers having their own opinions on a characters power/physical stats, not to mention fights and opportunities for PIS. Aang and others are as fast as the writers made them, which rounded up to arrow timing but still having trouble with such speed in just about every fight.

To be honest though, Aang isn't really inconsistent at all. It's a classic air bending technique to avoid and evade, he's shown to dodge fire and earth attacks countless times. If he gets tagged, there's usually more that meets the eye in the context. Ex. If he was distracted by another attack, or something like that.

I was saying that the lightning speed is inconsistent not Aang, unless you're just making a point. I agree he is pretty much consistent, though again a rock moving maybe at most 1 hundred mph should be statued to him if he can see something moving at 1/3 the speed of light.

Of course, they slow it down so we as a viewer can see(it's worth noting we can see lightning as well), they do this in Dragon Ball as well, their fight scenes don't end in a nanosecond yet they're universally considered FTL/MFTL. This applies to many other verses, even comics - where we can see what's happening, even if they're in hyper space.

But there's no hint, no nothing that the scene is in slow motion, and they make it clear when it is. Again we can see the wave moving behind Iroh proving its in real time.

I get what you're saying, only the return stroke of lightning is 1/3 SOL. I can't really argue with that as it's just facts, but I will say I never said them being lighting timers was the return stroke or not in my earlier comments. It's worth noting that the return stroke is the most luminous, and NOTICEABLE part of the lightning. So it's not a reach to suggest the creators based this lightning, on what they see of lightning. Not to mention the look of the lightning in A:TLA looks like it.

Okay, I was just pointing out how even if it was a leader they are still supped to move faster than seismic waves but we can see this isn't the case.

I've even heard characters are SOL/FTL in A:TLA.. while I don't necessarily agree with it, but I admit they have an argument (it has something to do with spiritual energy(which characters have dodged) being proved to be light or something like that). So I was surprised to be called out for merely calling them lightning timers

The people are seriously argue that are not following usual debating rules, which is staking into account consistency PIS and knowing what an outlier is. I believe the feat they are discussing is the one where the spirit gun is turning towards Korra and she blocks it, I guess they somehow missed how she reacted to the laser moving towards her first. They shouldn't be listened to if they think its okay to scale characters off of 1 outlier and pretend the rest of the series doesn't basically exist. If they had it their way then every character who has dodged a laser would be FTL, ignoring the hilarious amount of times they got tagged by slower objects. Like Geekryan said you're free to interpret their speed how you wish but most people agree the proof are outliers, the reasoning is simply not how we should measure characters.

Regardless, there's no way we can factually say either way, and I acknowledge that. I just refuse to put A:TLA on a completely lower pedestal to other fictional verses that people accept their speed in. #DoubleStandard

EDIT: here's a link to someone arguing that it is same as real lightning: https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterRant/comments/7951d2/no_lightning_bending_isnt_slower_than_sound/ check it out!

You're free to do that, though I have to point out that the double standard would be not holding the characters they're facing to the same standard. Gambit has feats that would put him at FTL if providing a few feats without considering consistency is solid proof.

That person's reasoning just doesn't hold up, they tried arguing scene in real time where in slow motion when they clearly weren't, they had their own idea of these character's speed and twisted everything to prove it instead of looking at the scenes objectively and fairly looking at disagreements.

There's a few people discussing on how they aren't if you wanna see more reasoning: https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterRant/comments/6a7oi6/aang_isnt_fucking_lightning_timing/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterRant/comments/av30k6/the_speed_of_the_avatarverse/

Comic_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shepardoakenprime:

It seems to me your problem is with fiction as a whole, not A:TLA.. Batman, Red Hood, Lady Shiva, Bullseye, and SO MANY OTHERS have all reacted to bullets. Which bullets are Faster than Sound on average. Yet they can still see civilains move, and far slower things. Or even your cosmic tier characters (I think CV calls it Herald), such as Superman, Thor, Iron Man, Barry Allen, Wally West, yet practically nothing is "statued"(as you say) to these characters, yet they're universally known as FTL(or for some, MFTL). If you can't see the obvious double standard I don't know what to say.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comic_crusader: By your logic, every character who has reacted to Cyclops’ optic blasts (AKA lasers) would be consideter FTL.

Does that make sense to you?

InvadedTBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 InvadedTBD  Online

Aang should win, I'm not seeing what Gambit is gonna do to him.

Comic_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan:

Ok well two can play the logic game. By your logic(maybe not specifically yours, but the other guys). It would mean Superman isn't FTL just cause human civilians walking isn't "statued" to him.

To answer your question though, no. As comics are different then manga/A:TLA due to different writers & eras. Not everything is as cut and dry, we've had characters who aren't consistently FTL whatsoever pull up with an SOL/FTL reaction showing. Doesn't make them FTL sadly. That's why in comics we base their stats off of what they are on a consistent basis. Obviously, Aang isn't inconsistent in the show. If you've seen the show, you know this already.

Or perhaps I misunderstood you, if you're attacking my logic saying that saying lightning is lightning speed is the same as saying Cyclops optic beams are SOL? Well, that's an extremely weak argument. This is a completely different universe, arguing off of the laws of that said universe to disprove something in a different universe, is a losing argument.

Now, to go even further - after looking it up, I see that ScreenRant says his Optic Beams are estimated at light speed. Not only this, but Cyclops Optic Beams have tagged Quicksilver. I'm no expert on Cyclops or his optic beams though, but perhaps your comparison was a bad one.(?)

Eeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambit loses.