• 83 results
#1 Posted by Arcus1 (27812 posts) - - Show Bio

Suppose an ancient Spartan and a modern Navy SEAL were to clash in h2h combat, who would win?

This is your average Spartan warrior (the historical kind, not from 300) and your average Navy SEAL (meaning average physicals, average training, etc.)

No weapons or any other gear for either fighter. This is a battle of pure hand to hand combat.

Fight takes place in a dojo. Starting distance is 10 feet

Victory by ko or death

Who wins?

#2 Posted by SodamYat (7907 posts) - - Show Bio

SEAL.

#3 Posted by MysticMedivh (32250 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#4 Posted by PacPanda (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

The seal stomps due to it's inability to fight. As in the animal, seal.

#5 Posted by Savageslayer (1377 posts) - - Show Bio

Navy SEAL wins due to the fact Spartans probably mostly knew grappling stuff not Muay thai and Crav maga

#6 Posted by SOG7dc (11368 posts) - - Show Bio

Seal would probably be in better shape and more skilled but Spartan would probably be able to take more pain and be more well conditioned....I'm saying the Spartan.

#7 Posted by LunaticRedEyes (256 posts) - - Show Bio

A spartan. As dedicated as the seals were, the spartans were more dedicated. They started training at 8 and were much more used to hand to hand combat.

Everyone says the seals are sooo trained, but do they realize how highly trained the spartans were? It was since birth, really, and 24/7. They spent their time training face to face fighting, the seals spend SOME time on that, but much more time training how to swim, and how to shoot, and how to blow things up, and how to throw grenades, and how to recon.

The more I think about this, the more I pick Spartan.

#8 Posted by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

A spartan. As dedicated as the seals were, the spartans were more dedicated. They started training at 8 and were much more used to hand to hand combat.

Everyone says the seals are sooo trained, but do they realize how highly trained the spartans were? It was since birth, really, and 24/7. They spent their time training face to face fighting, the seals spend SOME time on that, but much more time training how to swim, and how to shoot, and how to blow things up, and how to throw grenades, and how to recon.

The more I think about this, the more I pick Spartan.

You are correct. Spartans train in H2H their entire lives.

SEALS, although formidable, are like modern day ninjas. They don't just train in H2H, they equally train in shooting, languages, recon, formations, etc. The list can go on and on.

#9 Posted by jayc1324 (26431 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know the details of spartan training, or the level of skill SEALS have in martial arts.

#10 Posted by Killerwasp (17449 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by nickzambuto (29288 posts) - - Show Bio

Impossible to tell. There is no "average SEAL" or "average Spartan", it all depends completely on the individual. The question basically comes down to which group is better trained, which I guess goes to the Spartan.

#12 Posted by LunaticRedEyes (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: Exactly OP Says H2H Something the spartan is Easily way way better that a seal

Also spartans NEVER Gave up and had really high pain tolerance

Spartan Stomp

#13 Posted by Just_Banter (12413 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by JwwProd (20874 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by MonsterStomp (36893 posts) - - Show Bio

Mhmm, the better fighter wins.

#16 Edited by Stormdriven (17925 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently, Spartans were so good at pankration (their martial art), they were banned from participating in the Olympic event. Just a cool tid bit.

#17 Edited by Arcus1 (27812 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently, Spartans were so good at pankration (their martial art), they were banned from participating in the Olympic event. Just a cool tid bit.

Huh, I did not know that

#18 Edited by Stormdriven (17925 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus: I don't know if it's true or not, but the way their culture was and how one Spartan was considered worth three soldiers of any other city-state, it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

#19 Posted by Milliardo (928 posts) - - Show Bio

lol you guys. Your avg military servicemen could take down a spartan. Too much movies mate, too much myths, too much hype.

Spartan were great during their time, this is a whole other time frame. Better training equipment, better skilled, smarter.

Greeks fought like savages on adrenaline, and the techniques they used were considered good during their time, like i said this aint their time. Their methods are outdated.

#20 Posted by bigcimmerian (10340 posts) - - Show Bio

Spartan rips his head off.

Avatar image for cpt_facepuncher
#21 Posted by Cpt_FacePuncher (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

A Spartan relied on h2h far more often than SEALs do. Their style of fighting can be compared to modern mixed martial artists; they also trained for many, many more years than a SEAL does. Modern equipment and methods just make you soft - the Spartans nearly killed each other during training. They also used their skills far more frequently, meaning that, while the SEAL is desperately trying to remember his training, the Spartan is breaking his neck.

#22 Posted by SodamYat (7907 posts) - - Show Bio

Kids

#23 Edited by GraniteSoldier (12746 posts) - - Show Bio

Heh...

#25 Posted by Urban_Ninja_X (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I were a Spartan.

#26 Posted by matthew1061 (484 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, Spartans were banned from Olympic wrestling; pankration was never an Olympic event. It wasn't so much because they were too good, it was because Spartans would never surrender. That was a problem because there were a lot of deadly holds allowed. Put someone who will not surrender into that kind of competition and you've got a death match.

Spartans were trained in weaponry, boxing, wrestling, and pankration. While these arts are different than modern martial arts they were battle tried and very effective. They also featured hand strikes, kicks, elbow and knee strikes, throws, submission holds, joint manipulation, and choking techniques. The fact that something like krav maga is newer does not necessarily make it superior. One thing to consider is that Spartans had the experience of killing others in close quarters combat far more frequently than modern soldiers.

The training of the Spartans was called agoge and is described in the link.

SIZE: The SEAL will probably be bigger than the Spartan. SEALS aren't usually big guys, toughness and agility being more important than raw strength for their work, but modern people are quite a bit taller and bigger than Bronze Are people on the whole.

STRENGTH: This is harder to judge. The modern training techniques and good nutrition of the SEALs, combined with their size may make them stronger. But the almost constant physical training and drilling means the Spartans were very strong as well. Maybe a slight edge to the SEAL here.

HTH SKILLS: The current philosophy of the US military is that close quarters combat should focus on bringing a weapon into play as quickly as possible. An extended unarmed fight is rare on the modern battlefield so it is not what they train for. SEALs will have modern techniques and will often have martial arts training above and beyond his military training. The Spartan will be proficient in Greek boxing, wrestling, and pankration. While different from modern techniques, these are battle proven and competition in ancient Greece was more brutal and more often fatal (especially when Spartans were involved) than modern competitions. In an unarmed fight, the Spartan's training is probably as good as the SEAL's and he's had a lot more training in it.

MENTAL TOUGHNESS:This is a huge thing for the SEALs. They need to be relentless and adaptable under the worst circumstances. It's an even bigger thing for Spartans. They were trained to endure any amount of pain without complaining and many died in training because it was so extreme.

Both are extremely skilled and disciplined fighters, but this fight plays to the strengths of the Spartan. He is in his element while the SEAL is not. It depends on the individuals but, as a general thing, I'd give this contest to the Spartan 6/10 and maybe 7/10.

#27 Posted by hunterzillas (1183 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#28 Posted by Mandarinestro (7651 posts) - - Show Bio

SEAL probably has better reflexes.

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
#30 Posted by Ironspiderchan45 (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't say a its a stomp though Spartans win. How? Well they are trained from children to become soldiers. Navy SEALs are awesome and all but I doubt hell week and the other stuff will get them as good as a Spartan.

#31 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: I hope the SEALs aren't "modern date ninjas," ninjas were weak as hell.

Movies lie to play them up, but they were really skinny, very bad fighters who were supposed to flee instead of engage in conflicts. They were horrible fighters. =D

#32 Posted by Sean12345 (440 posts) - - Show Bio

What is with all the SEAL threads!? SEAL absolutely obliterates the Spartan. Fighting has evolved to such a degree over time that a SEAL would completely outclass a Spartan.

#33 Posted by mikex20 (3146 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoever says a Spartan can take a SEAL needs a reality check.

#34 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

Spartan wins.

#35 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36845 posts) - - Show Bio

Seal. Modern techniques and martial arts.

#36 Posted by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591: well in a sense SEALS are usually put in missions where if they are discovered, their job is to flee because they are usually gathering recon in a large enemy compound, or assassinating someone behind enemy lines, etc.

This would be similar to a single ninja possibly trying to steal information in a imperial camp all by themselves. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration and ninjas are overhyped.

#37 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@lukehero said:

Seal. Modern techniques and martial arts.

Avatar image for generic_cannon_fodder
#38 Posted by generic_cannon_fodder (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Bumping because the Spartans got way over hyped in this thread.

#39 Posted by Iragexcudder (9464 posts) - - Show Bio

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHHA

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE MET A SPARTAN? 0

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE MET A SEAL? Many

Why? Because Seals don't die *drops mic*

#40 Posted by nickel132 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@iragexcudder: or because they were too scared to fight in a time without guns

#41 Posted by dawnone (7265 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by dawnone (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus: lol spartans were banned because the invaded elice which was part of olympia when the were demanded to pay a fine but refused the were forbidden to participate in the olympic games not cause the were too good

#43 Posted by cfrehse (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

H2h easily goes to a navy seal.

#44 Edited by hoverslam (209 posts) - - Show Bio

SEAL wins. He has access to modern training methods, martial arts training from 2 thousand years and multiple civilizations that a Spartan has never heard of, modern weight lifting, supplements, heavy bags, not to mention proper food and nutrition. This is like asking who would be smarter. It's not even fair.

#45 Posted by nickel132 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@dawnone said:

@arcus: lol spartans were banned because the invaded elice which was part of olympia when the were demanded to pay a fine but refused the were forbidden to participate in the olympic games not cause the were too good

that was for one or two Olympics. They were not allowed to participate because in pankration Spartans would never give up and pair that with a sport where killing is allowed and you have a person who will kill to avoid loseing.

#46 Posted by stl9997 (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

Seal takes this. Multiple forms of H2H that Spartans havent seen.

#47 Posted by nerdchore (8169 posts) - - Show Bio

Seal wins easily. How is this even debated?

#48 Posted by Pipxeroth (9305 posts) - - Show Bio

Seal, easily

Avatar image for the_new_avenger
#49 Edited by The_New_Avenger (1582 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#50 Posted by blackleg (611 posts) - - Show Bio

the seal stomps just because he is trained in more types of combat than the ancient spartans had, in terms of physically skills i believe that the spartan is way more strongest, faster, durable, etc. but he doesn't have the h2h skills because his era