• 55 results
Frill_Artist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Frill_Artist

Why do some people say "this one has been done before. use search" and then they link you to a thread from nearly 4 or 5 years ago?? Frankly, it's annoying and I would enjoy a more recent battle thread/debate. If they link to a battle thread from only a few months ago but years? C'mon...

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

It makes sense. its been done, so just use the one thats already been made. Also this does not belong in the battles forum.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jeanroygrant

You have a point, i agree with you.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Wrong thread.

Also why would you make a thread of something that has been made already? Newcomers also write on the old threads, so what is the point? Unless you add a lot of changes differing from the old one I think that rule is pretty fair.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Also why would you make a thread of something that has been made already? Newcomers also write on the old threads, so what is the point? Unless you add a lot of changes differing from the old one I think that rule is pretty fair.

Agreed.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Mercy_

That rule is in place to keep us from having 5000 generic Batman vs Cap/Thor vs Hulk/Superman vs Thor etc battles. Chances are, if you're using mainstream characters, it's been done. The reason that we lock the duplicate is to that the forum doesn't get clogged and so that you're able to see others opinions on the matter.

Now...if you're changing things up enough that it can leave a different outcome to the debate, or another debate entirely (changing powers, giving/taking away handicaps, no morals etc), then it's likely that I'll leave it open. That is a mod by mod basis, though.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
This one has been done before. Use search.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mercy_

Oh Morph.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Mercy_ said:

Oh Morph.

Shush. I'm simply wonderful and you know it.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mercy_

@Morpheus_ said:

@Mercy_ said:

Oh Morph.

Shush. I'm simply wonderful and you know it.

Right, sure, okay :)

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Y'know what I don't get?

Why noobies come along and question the rules that have been in place for a long time.

It's annoying.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@JediXMan said:

Y'know what I don't get?

Why noobies come along and question the rules that have been in place for a long time.

It's annoying.

Very.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By renamed040924

@Mercy_ said:

That rule is in place to keep us from having 5000 generic Batman vs Cap/Thor vs Hulk/Superman vs Thor etc battles. Chances are, if you're using mainstream characters, it's been done. The reason that we lock the duplicate is to that the forum doesn't get clogged and so that you're able to see others opinions on the matter.

Now...if you're changing things up enough that it can leave a different outcome to the debate, or another debate entirely (changing powers, giving/taking away handicaps, no morals etc), then it's likely that I'll leave it open. That is a mod by mod basis, though.

But if I bump a Wesker VS Wolverine thread from 2 years ago that has 10 pages, most people aren't gonna bother reading through 10 pages of back and forth, and won't even bother joining the debate.

If we make a new thread, everyone can start fresh.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jashro44

@nickzambuto said:

@Mercy_ said:

But if I bump a Wesker VS Wolverine thread from 2 years ago that has 10 pages, most people aren't gonna bother reading through 10 pages of back and forth, and won't even bother joining the debate.

But then we have another million thor vs superman threads...

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By renamed040924

@jashro44 said:

@nickzambuto said:

@Mercy_ said:

But then we have another million thor vs superman threads...

If people can just get it in their heads that no one wants another Thor VS Superman, this won't be a problem.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jashro44

@nickzambuto: Thats the problem. The new users show up thinking thor vs superman has never been discussed and they just make the thread. If we have the search function then people will just bump the old thread and wont create another one.

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By The_Thunderer

Its just to save time for mods and us.

kamakazi152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kamakazi152

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@JediXMan said:

Y'know what I don't get?

It's annoying.

Very.

I'm still a noobie and I agree.

Frill_Artist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Frill_Artist

Well, it makes sense now about the clogging up the forum and I understand. I was only worried about bumping up old threads here because on some other forums I go to, they start yelling at you for "necroing". :/

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By charlieboy

i think it is great to ask a question if you don't understand the rule. and some of the people who have been here a long time need to stop acting like they own the site. it's annoying. 

society619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By society619

Post a new thread = "This has been done to death, use search"

Bump an old thread = "Why the hell did you bump this old thread?"

You can't win

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ximpossibrux

@Morpheus_ said:

This one has been done before. Use search.

owned

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By charlieboy

well if the veterans on this site were nicer to the newer people and showed them the ropes without all the rudeness and condescension then things would go a lot smoother. 

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@charlieboy said:

i think it is great to ask a question if you don't understand the rule. and some of the people who have been here a long time need to stop acting like they own the site. it's annoying.

@charlieboy said:

well if the veterans on this site were nicer to the newer people and showed them the ropes without all the rudeness and condescension then things would go a lot smoother.

Why do I get the feeling that these were directed at me?

society619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By society619

@charlieboy said:

You got a better chance beating Superman with a hot pocket than that happening.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By charlieboy
@JediXMan: well honestly i was just surprised. you are generally so nice and polite on here. i just thought it was kind of mean when they were just asking a question. 
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@charlieboy said:

@JediXMan: well honestly i was just surprised. you are generally so nice and polite on here. i just thought it was kind of mean when they were just asking a question.

Depends drastically on my mood. However, I am known for being quite blunt in my responses. And honestly, I'm usually only polite to people I respect (though oddly I've had a really weird nice streak lately...)

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By charlieboy
@JediXMan: but you have to know that being rude to people is not really going to make people want to come on this forum. 
charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By charlieboy
@JediXMan: i apologize. i am just kind of annoyed with all the rudeness on here lately. doesn't make for a very fun enviroment. 
Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

It makes sense. its been done, so just use the one thats already been made. Also this does not belong in the battles forum.

Except that some mods lock those old threads when it is bumped up.... Why is that?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

The mods were always pretty nice to me when I first started and they are generally nice about enforcing the rules to noobies.

"This has been done before, please use the search the function and read the battle forum rules." Looks respectful to me.

95% of new users I doubt read the battle forum rules in the first place. And new threads can be made if they have different stipulations. When it comes to bumping old threads, the problem usually involves the person doesn't post anything relevant to the debate and that's why they should bump it. Or it is usually involves a user, most of the time newer, and they bump spite threads or anime vs comic threads which is going to get locked.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@JediXMan:

Depends drastically on my mood. However, I am known for being quite blunt in my responses. And honestly, I'm usually only polite to people I respect (though oddly I've had a really weird nice streak lately...)

On a side note, I've been generally more mouthy lately...

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OmegaDynasty
@JediXMan said:

@charlieboy said:

@charlieboy said:

Why do I get the feeling that these were directed at me?

Think it was directed at all of us old timers.  
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@god_spawn said:

@JediXMan:

On a side note, I've been generally more mouthy lately...

Hm. All I've noticed is a significant lack of comments at my expense.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By charlieboy
@OmegaDynasty: i didn't mean to be insulting or anything. and you are usually polite. 
Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Strafe Prower

Its very rare that an older user is just rude to a "noobie" just because. Its either because of fustration with that user not listening, or its because of how tired we are of repeating ourselfs. Im a generally nice person, but i do this at times and it is nothing personal to anyone. Just like "noobies" can't read the rules, older users are rude. They are both generalization that dont apply to every individual case.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@charlieboy said:

@JediXMan: i apologize. i am just kind of annoyed with all the rudeness on here lately. doesn't make for a very fun enviroment.

Wasn't offended - believe me, that takes a lot.

@charlieboy said:

@JediXMan: but you have to know that being rude to people is not really going to make people want to come on this forum.

Perhaps. Though honestly, I don't take site traffic into consideration before I reply.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@JediXMan: I can change that you know?

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shawnbaby
@society619 said:

Post a new thread = "This has been done to death, use search"

Bump an old thread = "Why the hell did you bump this old thread?"

You can't win

People only do that when all you contribute by bumping a 2 year old thread is to say "X wins" without actually adding any reasoning
charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By charlieboy
@JediXMan: yeah i see what you mean. and i officially want to state for the record that i was not trying to attack the older users.  i have been on this site for a few years myself. 
Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shawnbaby
@JediXMan said:

@charlieboy said:

Wasn't offended - believe me, that takes a lot.

@charlieboy said:

Perhaps. Though honestly, I don't take site traffic into consideration before I reply.

plus, if it keeps the whiners and crybabies away then that's just a great bonus :D 

On a more serious note...most of the time when i see JediXMan being aggressive with someone its because they are either just trolling or are being irrational fanboys
greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By greenteaforme

@nickzambuto said:

@Mercy_ said:

This is a legitimate point.

Although I do understand why the rule is in place.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By charlieboy
@Shawnbaby: in my opinion being rude to people only makes someone look like they are a poor debater. 
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Because otherwise the section will flood with threads like Captain America vs Batman. These threads already exist and with extensive debates too. People can read them, perhaps learn something new, and then weigh in with their own thoughts. And there would be no reason to make a new thread with a different scenario (for example, unarmed). This is because you can just discuss those "what ifs" in the thread itself. "Cap wins because.... but if they're unarmed, Batman wins because..." So on and so on.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shawnbaby
@charlieboy said:
@Shawnbaby: in my opinion being rude to people only makes someone look like they are a poor debater. 
I edited my post. take a look at it now
charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By charlieboy
@Shawnbaby: okay. cool. i know. i don't really have a prob with jedixman. i actually respect him a lot. when i first started static showed me the ropes and it was pretty awesome. 
beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By beatboks1

@nickzambuto said:

@Mercy_ said:

1. i don't think your giving people enough credit. If someone is genuinely interested in debate not just making statements then they will read through it. I've read through many pages of many bumped debates only to find when I get to page 6 or 7 there is a post from me already quoting two or three other posts. Those who weren't interested in reading a debate aren't going to read two or three pages either, they'll just post an opinion and stick to it.
  2. And in starting "fresh" you'll likely find the same arguments offered repeating the same thread in similar ways. What would be the point. By using an existing thread responding to the counter arguments already given to the points you've made you can extend the discussion and take it further. No one likes reading the same story all the time, why would we want to read and post the same debate ALL the time. Characters who have longevity have been taken many places been experimented with in many ways, it's that diversity of story that makes it interesting. In the same way if the discussion on two characters in a battle thread has been taken further because arguments have been taken to a degree that moves it to new heights that becomes interesting, and is likely to get people reading it.
  3. If repetitive threads were allowed the forum would likely die just like comics do because they become unoriginal and repetitive. All the long staying characters in comics have been re-invented, re-tested and tried in many ways (some of those testings and trials have been repeated but with a different slant on things taking a different direction) I'm sure CV want's to last for the long haul.
beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By beatboks1

@society619 said:

@charlieboy said:

You got a better chance beating Superman with a hot pocket than that happening.

To be fair it goes both ways. I try to stay nice and offer help but I've had many instances of newer uses I've tried to help then trolling me. Three in particular that I only tried to offer advice to when I ceased responding their taunts in thread simply changed to PM's four to five times a day. Patience can get a little thin.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By charlieboy
@beatboks1: yeah a lot of people new or old on this site can be rude. i should not have just singled out the vets. my bad. 
Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

I've actually changed my mind on this. How many duplicate "Batman vs Captain America" or "Superman vs Thor" threads do you honestly see? 2, maybe 3 a week? I hardly think that constitutes "flooding". Even after the duplicate thread is made, it will only be debated on for half a week or so, then die out, allowing another one to take its place later on.