90's Aquaman vs Ultimate Captain America

#1 Edited by Ouroborik (4260 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Atlantis' warrior king and Protector of the Oceans vs Ultimate Marvel's Super Soldier and biggest badass
  • Aquaman is Post-Crisis Orin/Arthur Curry with all of his showings prior to Obsidian Age (when writers started to make ridiculous continuity mistakes and ignoring previously established feats).
  • Captain America is Steve Rogers of the Ultimate Universe. He is allowed all of his showings up until (and including) Ultimate Comics: Captain America in 2011 (this is mainly for fairness reasons, so that Cap doesn't get much more feats than Aquaman).
No Caption Provided

Vs

No Caption Provided

Details

• Aquaman is wearing his 90's outfit and has the Golden Hook replacing his lost left-hand (see picture, no more gear)
  • Captain America is wearing his original Ultimates uniform with the matching gear and his Shield (see picture, plus shield)
  • Both fighters are in-character
  • No previous knowledge
  • Win by any means (in-character, as said before)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

A few clarifications:

Just some things I'd like to establish right away before people might make wrong assumptions about the battle:

• Aquaman doesn't use telepathy as his go-to move when he is in-character, so don't assume he will just end the fight with it right away
  • Ultimate Cap's shield was not made of adamantium, that seems to be a myth. Even the official Handbook only described the shield as being made of an unnamed material
  • Aquaman's Golden Hook was never damaged (only the chord) and pierced through pretty much everything Arthur tried to pierce, so it should match Cap's shield pretty well

Debate!

#2 Posted by seastone98 (4902 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman due 2 being vastly superior in every stat physically except h2h but even den arthur is no slouch in dat department

#3 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18964 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably aquaman.

#4 Posted by jashro44 (55263 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I missing something? Is this version of Aquaman weaker than normal post crisis?

#5 Posted by solo788 (885 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: not really, also this aquaman tanked a blast point blank, that incapped orion in grant Morrison's JL run

#6 Edited by jashro44 (55263 posts) - - Show Bio

@solo788 said:

@jashro44: not really, also this aquaman tanked a blast point blank, that incapped orion in grant Morrison's JL run

I would think Orion should be stronger and more durable than aquaman?

#7 Posted by solo788 (885 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: hence why I was impressed. On my phone but look up starro orion blast. He hits it from orbit while aquaman is right in front of it. It gets pissed blasts, drops Orion and aquaman climbs out via a chain held by zuriel

#8 Posted by solo788 (885 posts) - - Show Bio

Has some pretty constantly awesome feats in that run actually

#9 Posted by Ouroborik (4260 posts) - - Show Bio

@solo788: @jashro44: At this point Aquaman's stats were considerably lower, his skin got pierced relatively easily and his strength was actually not far away from Ultimate Cap's. He did show great durability against energy attacks (as mentioned earlier) and blunt damage but Cap has several showings of resisting similar blunt damage (not energy attacks though) and hurting characters on that same level.

Honestly I see this battle being pretty much even, with Captain America possibly even having a slight advantage due to his ruthlessness. But obviously if people just use out of context feats and ignore how the characters actually fight consistently then there's obviously going to be people claiming this is a stomp. That's why I even included a clarifications section, but I see it wasn't enough. Aquaman is one of my favorite characters and I've read almost all of his appearances during this era but I didn't want to put too much information in the OP to avoid sounding biased. I do like him more than Captain America lol.

@sirfizzwhizz is probably the best person to debate in favor of Cap in this thread, do tags work when I'm writing on my phone?

#10 Posted by Black_Arrow (10301 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman just screws up his brain, he already could do that before the Obsidian age.

#11 Posted by Ouroborik (4260 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_arrow: I know that Aquaman had telepathy before Obsidian Age, that was my point exactly in the OP, after Obsidian Age writers started to downplay his telepathy and make it seem weaker.

But as I also said in the OP it is out of character for Aquaman to use his telepathy offensively unless he feels like he really has to, which he won't when this fight begins.

#12 Posted by SirFizzWhizz (37749 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman just screws up his brain, he already could do that before the Obsidian age.

yeah Cap has no counter for this.

In a physical match, from what I seen and heard of this Aquaman, Cap could beat him for sure though in a straight fight.

#13 Posted by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

Ult Cap is better physically than 616 Cap and is clearly metahuman.

Having said that 90s Aquaman is on a whole different level physically, and is also very skilled.

Caps biggest advantage is that he is more ruthless than 616 Cap, but 90s Aquaman is also a cold SoB when he needs to.

Aquaman wins via his better psysicals and has his telepathy as a back up (but he won't need it in this fight).

Plus the hookhand can do some heavy damage. It can also be charged with electricity and even transform for offence or defense (since it's made of some sort of liquid metal technology). All Aquaman has to do is connect, and since he is faster than Ult Cap, he will certainly do in this fight.

And since this fight takes plcae near water, it's conceivable that Aquaman can literally KO Cap using his speed, before Cap even reallizes what happened.