#351 Posted by DonFelipe (2334 posts) - - Show Bio
#353 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio

Its so sad how peoples opinions on a film are tied to what kind of reviews it got. I guarantee you if Batman vs Superman got great reviews like the Avengers, people would start switching their own personal onions on the film to match the rave reviews. Which is utterly idiotic. I dont give two shits what the Rotten Tomatometer says. Not all but alot of those critics are tired failed filmmakers anyway which takes completely away from the credibility. Snyder probably has more talent in his thumb then alot of those chums have in their whole body. But thats besides the point. Ive never ever went by reviews, i loved Pirates of the caribbean 1-3 and they all got shit review accept the first ones. But i could care less. Are people really this sheepish, that they wont see a movie becuase rotten tomatoes says it sucks? If so i recommend growing a spine along with an opinion. And whats the deal with this obsession with being overly critical with superhero films, alot of people said AOU sucks, why becuase Ultron told an omelette Joke? The film was vastly enjoyable at the very least. And Whats the criteria for a good Superhero film anway,Nolan? I hope not becuase thats like chasing a ghost ridding on a white horse. Those films might aswell be classified as very very very loosely based on the comics. Because any real comic fan knows Nolans ultra realistic and gritty rendition of Batman and Gotham is absolutely nothing like the comics., for all those people that say Superman vs Batman is complete garbage i recommend you go back to the 40s and watch those serials from back in the day when nobody gave a crap or the tiniest hint of a crap about Superhero films. And for all you comic fans. You better enjoy this Superhero train while its in the station, becuase trust me this whole Superhero movies thing isnt going to last forrever. And when its over your going to wish you would of stopped nitpicking and just sat down and enjoyed many of these films for what they are. Popcorn fun and a great time at the movies.

#354 Edited by zoso2308 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to like this movie a whole lot but there were just many things that I had trouble looking past. I guess Batman kills people now cause he straight up kills at least 5 people. I also felt like this movie was to heavy handed. Is Superman conflicted by his actions? I guess we will find out at least 4 times in the first hour! But most of all it was the fact Snyder used a sledgehammer as a subtle tool...we get it this is dark! I got tired real quick of the heavy drums and increasing notes and crescendos in every scene. Instead of making me feel tense I could almost hear Snyder grabbing me by the collar and yelling in my face "THIS IS SUPER SERIOUS GUYS LIKE FOR REAL THIS IS DARK!!!"

#355 Posted by sahilvarghese (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@nicksmi56: i kinda had high hopes since snyder was directing the movie and the cast was amazing but i guess it just didn't work out in the end

#356 Posted by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

This review is by a guy who works for Gamespot. It's not an alias account :D

#357 Posted by neale7 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Went into this not knowing what to think after all the negative reviews, but still somehow excited. I would give it a 7 out of 10. It doesn't deserve all the hate its getting. Yes, there are a few problems with it. But overall, its an entertaining film.

The plot is thin. Its hard to actually pin point why Lex hates Superman and why he's doing what he's doing. The first half of the film also jumps around a lot, and is a bit slow. The second half is a lot better and where the film truly shines. Its also very dark and brooding, which i didn't have a problem with. I think this may have been a problem for critics though. There is no Marvel film as dark visually as this. And with many successful films under their belt, which for the whole are light hearted, with comic moments, even when facing the most serious of problems. Its only natural that critics and fans are going to compare DC films to Marvel, and make note of how there is no sunshine and comedy in DC.

Apart from the thin plot:

The battle scenes are fantastic. Watching The Trinity fight together was ace, couldn't ask for more.

Gal Gadot was great when she finally showed up as Wonder Woman. Looking forward to her solo film.

Henry Cavill was again on point as Superman. Not much to say apart from that.

Jessie Eisenburg's Lex was odd for me, never really got him, worst character in the film in my opinion.

Amy Adams, as someone said, may have been underused, but likeable. You can see she cares about Clark, his Superman persona and protecting him.

Jeremy Irons is a good Alfred. Has good banter with Bruce.

Ben Affleck as Batman, is excellent. Hands down best Bruce Wayne and Batman onscreen. Extremely motivated, and nothing will stand in his way. The warehouse scene is the best ever Batman fight scene in the history of his films. That WAS Batman. I hope that Ben does get a solo Bat film, as I want to see more of his Batman. Yes, there were a few things out of character, but I can just about overlook them.

Batman V Superman fight was good.

Doomsday was interesting.

The introduction of Flash was ok. Would have been better if he wasn't in all the armour so he was more recognisable. Aquaman's video looked really fan made and poor. Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg could have been cut from the film in my opinion. I know they were added to tease Justice League, but didn't really add anything.

Overall an entertaining film, that doesn't deserve its really bad reviews. But it also didn't live up to hype surrounding it.

#358 Posted by ZariusII (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

And when its over your going to wish you would of stopped nitpicking and just sat down and enjoyed many of these films for what they are. Popcorn fun and a great time at the movies.

Where as easily pleased people like you are the reason we'll have Trump in power by the end of the year. Good day.

#359 Posted by rejected_stone (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I genuinely do not understand the negative reviews. I really really enjoyed this movie. It certainly wasn't perfect but I think it did a great job introducing us to our new Batman and kicking off the universe. I love the tone, I think it's perfect for the characters it addresses. I don't want more if the same Marvel formula, I like that DC attempts to make villains who are actually scary and off putting. This most recent version of Lex was such a new take on the character that still remained true to the core characteristics and was genuinely scary. Honestly I'm sorry more people didn't like it. I hope it does well enough sales for DC to continue down this road, I am very intrigued and can't wait for more.

#360 Posted by GeeWhiz (154 posts) - - Show Bio

Just got back from a matinee showing (took off half a day of work). The theatre was pretty packed for a 10:00am showing. Overall, I was disappointed and the audience was very subdue during the showing. Zack Synder is the wrong person to be the architect of the DC Cinematic Universe. While all his movies show a respect to the source material and are visually impressive, they have always lack heart and a sense of joy and charm that is essential. I should have been grinning ear to ear during the entire movie and yet I was just passively watching somewhat interested in seeing how Synder's vision of the DC Cinematic Universe would form into shape. Here are some of my random thoughts:

1) It was too soon to have a "death of Superman" storyline. Really??? He was just introduced to the world. I hated the Doomsday storyline when I first read it in the comic books (It was the start of the multiple covers era) and I wish the cinematic universe would ignore it. Doomsday is not an interesting villain -- he's just mindless smashing and explosions. And I hate the Jesus allegories with Superman.

2) Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor was horrible. I don't like a crazy Lex Luthor. His motivation for hating Superman and plotting to have them fight was not very clear to me. And constantly quoting serious quotes doesn't make a movie any better.

3) Ezra Miller looks very miscast as the Flash. Or maybe it was the horrible armor-like costume. For a second there I thought it was Iron Man. Is the Flash warning Batman from the future? Does this mean it's a multiple time-line universe? Is this how Superman can be brought back to life (by correcting the time-line)?

4) Ben Affleck was very good as Batman. The fight sequence when he rescued Clark's mom was very good.

5) Cyborg looks like he has "Mother Box" Darkseid technology in him. And I have a feeling that Lex's warning at the end of the movie refers to Darkseid.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
#361 Posted by knightofthechronicle (1396 posts) - - Show Bio

@kbroskywalker: actually no it never occurred to me. And after just seeing it, I can say with absolute certainty that it's an amazing movie.

8/10

#362 Posted by kbroskywalker (13408 posts) - - Show Bio

Also i herad they had batman kill dozens of people, its one thing to have himhave an exception to his no kill rule, its another to completely ignore it, I don't think snyde actually read any batman comics, this isn't punisher, its batman

#363 Posted by kbroskywalker (13408 posts) - - Show Bio

Its so sad how peoples opinions on a film are tied to what kind of reviews it got. I guarantee you if Batman vs Superman got great reviews like the Avengers, people would start switching their own personal onions on the film to match the rave reviews. Which is utterly idiotic. I dont give two shits what the Rotten Tomatometer says. Not all but alot of those critics are tired failed filmmakers anyway which takes completely away from the credibility. Snyder probably has more talent in his thumb then alot of those chums have in their whole body. But thats besides the point. Ive never ever went by reviews, i loved Pirates of the caribbean 1-3 and they all got shit review accept the first ones. But i could care less. Are people really this sheepish, that they wont see a movie becuase rotten tomatoes says it sucks? If so i recommend growing a spine along with an opinion. And whats the deal with this obsession with being overly critical with superhero films, alot of people said AOU sucks, why becuase Ultron told an omelette Joke? The film was vastly enjoyable at the very least. And Whats the criteria for a good Superhero film anway,Nolan? I hope not becuase thats like chasing a ghost ridding on a white horse. Those films might aswell be classified as very very very loosely based on the comics. Because any real comic fan knows Nolans ultra realistic and gritty rendition of Batman and Gotham is absolutely nothing like the comics., for all those people that say Superman vs Batman is complete garbage i recommend you go back to the 40s and watch those serials from back in the day when nobody gave a crap or the tiniest hint of a crap about Superhero films. And for all you comic fans. You better enjoy this Superhero train while its in the station, becuase trust me this whole Superhero movies thing isnt going to last forrever. And when its over your going to wish you would of stopped nitpicking and just sat down and enjoyed many of these films for what they are. Popcorn fun and a great time at the movies.

i guarantee you that if it was as good as the avengers, it would have gotten good reviews

#364 Posted by MrMazz (2002 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw it last night, words cannot describe how profoundly dissapointing this movie was. It setups a DCEU where heroisim cannot exist because it misses the point on the two points of its heroic spectrum: Batman and Superman. On top of an oddly strucured dramaticaly incompotent movie. The amount of sheer waste on display is just maddening.

Cheap Plug to User Review

#365 Posted by King_Kenobi62 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only seen it once but I really enjoyed it. Sure it was far from perfect there were several parts and aspects I didn't live but as a whole I had a good time and look forward to what's to come, especially Wonder Woman who was just awesome. Yeah the movie was serious but to say it refused to smile and was dour I believe isn't completely true because I laughed plenty. It's a super hero movie not a comedy so I don't expect to laugh the whole time but I think there was plenty of fun and funny moments for a movie that was aiming to be "serious" with all the philosophical stuff too. On a scale of 1-5 I'd at the very least give it a 3.5. It wasn't perfect but it's been a long time coming and I'm satisfied with the final product.

#366 Edited by w0nd (6803 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why

Jimmy

had to die, and Mercy

adding them in just to kill them is so odd to me

#367 Posted by bloggerboy (896 posts) - - Show Bio

@edstone1 said:

@abdullahzubair: MOS featured a boring and brooding hope-guy,not my Superman. Marvel.s Daredevil respects the source material and shows a love for the comics.

Man Of Steel also respected the source material....Before you reply, you should check what respecting the source material means...It means paying homage and relating to the original material yet offering something completely new and not a complete copy of the original material.... And that boring and brooding hope-guy added new layers and dimensions to a fairly same-same guy in comics...

In this case MoS respected Richard Donner's Superman and Superman 2. Originally Jor-El did not wear the S-symbol, but a planet resembling Saturn in appearance.

Let's not kid ourselves, MoS made Superman into a dull Jesus character, just like Bryan Singer's Superman Returns. That has nothing to do with the source material.

#368 Posted by Ruvik_ (1638 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for mrmatchesmalone
#369 Posted by Mrmatchesmalone (61 posts) - - Show Bio
#370 Posted by Mrmatchesmalone (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Not sure but he had time for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Mattel Toys!! Bet he'll review Civil War hahaha

#371 Posted by Mrmatchesmalone (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Loooved it! And I'm gonna watch it AGAIN.

#372 Posted by simple1dea (38 posts) - - Show Bio

You maniacs! You blew it up!

Just my reaction to how Zack Snyder treat's Batman's no killing rule.

Is nothing sacred?

I give The Dark Knight trilogy a pass because it was subtle enough. Batman says ''I don't kill'' yet he kills Two-Face, Talia and Ra's. I was fine with that because overall the movies manage to keep his rule and hide the murders.

Same goes to the lack of Green Lantern in Justice League.

Warners Bros, God damn you all to hell!

I liked the movie though.

#373 Posted by The V0id (77 posts) - - Show Bio

CV is being far to generous with their 3/5 review.

This movie fails on so many levels:

-Boring. At times I just wanted the film to end already.

-Doomsday. Over-kill and so unnecessary. A huge reason why I disliked this film was the Doomsday fight and I have to say his lightning affect got annoying over time and hurt my eyes.

-Pacing is all off.

-Incoherent story telling. You never really know what's going on at some points in the film. As if it's all going to be explained later on just leaves you confused.

-Lex is just a bit too eccentric for me here. Eisenberg at his worst.

Just a terrible movie. How could they let this happen?

1/5

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
#374 Posted by brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie (380 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm used to Marvel movies, and I don't like things that are different! I hate change!! Wah wah wah - Essentially every negative review of this movie

#375 Edited by bukdiah (87 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard this movie was hot mess and essential a piece of shit except for Afleck's great performance. Probably gonna catch this somewhere down the line, but maybe when it's on Blu-Ray or something. I don't wanna spend money to see it in theaters because I don't want the studio heads to think they did a good job and keep producing stuff similar to this.

It's a damn shame that it's met with such poor reception. I really want a good DC cinematic universe since I like a lot of characters from there, but it looks like they are off to a shit start. I hope Suicide Squad brings them back on their feet.

#376 Posted by victordoom (148 posts) - - Show Bio
#377 Posted by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio

@victordoom: Thank you for tagging me for literally no reason.

#378 Posted by cosmo111687 (1583 posts) - - Show Bio

"As well as showcasing the fierce, calculating intelligence of Wayne, Affleck shows off the physicality of the Batman better than any of his predecessors, with a huge set piece near the end of the film being a magnificent showcase of this particular Batman's ferocity and brutality. Affleck's Batman is simply unafraid to just straight up hurt people, and the various ways he punches, slams, throws, stabs, and shoots enemies makes this action sequence the best Batman fight put on film yet."

How can you say that???? HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everywhere else, where reviewers honestly don't know the first thing about Batman, they can go ahead and say, "Oh, Ben Affleck wasn't too bad." But this is Comic Vine. Here, more so than anywhere else, I should hear people going up in arms over the fact that this is the most foolish and unheroic version of the character to be committed to film to date. On multiple occasions Batman breaks his two rules: He doesn't kill and he doesn't use guns. And somehow its okay with you that he does so in this film???? And that he does so in order to kill, not capture and subdue, but KILL Superman of all characters.

This is easily the worst movie adaptation of Batman ever. And for some crazy reason everyone seems to be giving it a pass.

#379 Posted by victordoom (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthaznable: Don't have to be hasty. It was with reason I tagged you.

#380 Posted by GeeWhiz (154 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd:

Yeah, I was shocked that Lex could kill Mercy like that. I didn't know that Jimmy was also killed but I saw his name in the credits and didn't remember where Jimmy Olsen appeared. Was he the photographer in the desert with Lois? How can they kill off Jimmy like that? He's a major supporting character.

#381 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@o-face said:
@muyjingo said:

I just saw BvS in NYC last night. It's truly disappointing. Everyone coming out was disappointed. I don't think this film will have nearly as much as a divide as Man of Steel did.

Batman kills. We saw EVERYTHING in the trailers. The reason they fight, and stop fighting, does not make sense. Bad CGI. Bad dialog.Lex Luthor. Ugh. Talking to the audience without hiding it at all.

Also, where was Dianna when Zod was destroying her planet?

If WB keep Snyder on Justice League after this, I will be very surprised.

Most people don't care about that aspect of Batman in the film. We have had 26 years of that stuff.

Previous Batman films had Batman killing implicitly, as collateral damage that wasn't his fault, or by not saving people when he could. In this movie, Batman straight up shoots guns at people and kills them. I think that's a bit different.

#382 Posted by w0nd (6803 posts) - - Show Bio
#383 Posted by SwampPing (258 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally disagree, the movie was full of fun like Alfred and Bruce's banter, Perry White and Lois's relationship and Lex's psychotic quips. Batman was a little to brutal for me but I thought it was overall a very fun, smart and exciting film :).

#384 Posted by GeeWhiz (154 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd:

I guess in this universe, Jimmy Olsen is a nobody because it seems like no one mourned his death.

#385 Posted by cmpunk4life (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic movie just saw it!!! Dont listen to the critics they bitch and complain about everything!!Be your own judge and see it why listen to other people.

#386 Edited by batarangbamz (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Seen it last night and enjoyed it. I understand why some think it's too dark. To reaches own tho. I hope warner bros has an internal barometer for judging the success of these movies because I wanna see more of this world.

#387 Posted by GolDEnsPectre (93 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually surprised at the negative review this movie is receiving. I think that critics have their own opinion about this movie, but as Amy Adams said they don't make the film for critics, they do so for the fans. And honestly I feel that with the string of superhero movies coming out that there is a bit of superhero movie fatigue and I think that if it were to have come out in 2008 when the MCU came into the picture, then maybe it would have gotten better reviews then it is receiving. Does the movie have flaws? yes. But don't all movies.

I think the movie was good and that the references that they made definitely expands the universe. And I also felt bad because I watched the the clip of Ben Affleck subtle sad response to the negative reviews.

#388 Posted by YotaruVegeta (4 posts) - - Show Bio

If you liked Man of Steel, you will like this. If you hated Man of Steel, you will like this more than you liked that. Snyder is never going to be my favorite director, but this is the best thing I've seen from him.

The Justice League ties are crammed in there, in the wrong spots, I think. It confused the non-comic book audience.

#389 Posted by iknowwhoyouare (1631 posts) - - Show Bio

Besides Batfleck and the action sequences, everything else was disappointing

#390 Posted by spidershamrock (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman kills people I can't accept that.

#391 Edited by O-Face (105 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo said:
@o-face said:
@muyjingo said:

I just saw BvS in NYC last night. It's truly disappointing. Everyone coming out was disappointed. I don't think this film will have nearly as much as a divide as Man of Steel did.

Batman kills. We saw EVERYTHING in the trailers. The reason they fight, and stop fighting, does not make sense. Bad CGI. Bad dialog.Lex Luthor. Ugh. Talking to the audience without hiding it at all.

Most people don't care about that aspect of Batman in the film. We have had 26 years of that stuff.

Previous Batman films had Batman killing implicitly, as collateral damage that wasn't his fault, or by not saving people when he could. In this movie, Batman straight up shoots guns at people and kills them. I think that's a bit different.

That is completely untrue as shown in the video I posted in the previous page.

#392 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday: the trailers didnt give out anything and Carano is waaaay too thick and short to play Wonder Woman

You're absolutely right, it was just a coincidence that most reviews of the film have been that it is a bland film and the trailer is also bland, pure coincidence.

#393 Posted by UltimatePower6 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't have that many problems with the film, in fact I really enjoyed it more than (apparently) everyone else. The "problems" I did have with it were very, very minor. I have to see it again, but I had so much fun watching this film than any other superhero film in years.

As for the serious note: I didn't get that. Yes it was serious and not Marvel like in the way of quips, but there are moments of hope in both Man of Steel and BvS, in fact I thought MoS was more serious than BvS, whereas BvS was darker than MoS. BvS, to me, is superior to MoS and has a lot to offer that I think people will miss upon first viewing.

#394 Posted by The Lobster (1750 posts) - - Show Bio

WHOA, This was kinda disappointing. It's not bad, it's certainly worth seeing once. Mostly for Ben Affleck, who pretty much carries this film and is easily the best performance. But honestly, if you've seen the trailer. You've seen pretty much all the good parts of the film. There was so many confusing decisions, and things that hinder the film's overall enjoyment. For example, this is mostly a Superman story, it's all about Superman. Yet, Superman isn't given nearly as much care as Batman is. Batman is the one who has an emotional arc, Batman is the one who learns something. Superman doesn't change at all. Which makes his scenes incredibly boring and gives the audience a bias towards a specific character. Which is even more annoying when the character you end up rooting for, is the one the film obviously DOESN'T want you rooting for. Superman is mostly just there so the film can talk about the politics of superheroes, instead of the actual superheroes themselves. Also Jesse Eisenberg was REALLY miscasted. Lex Luthor is written fine, and the stuff he does and the lines he says are fine. But his performance is just way off. Lex Luthor is supposed to be suave and calm, not twitchy and eccentric. This is a solid 6 out of 10.

#395 Posted by MakkyD (6989 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo said:
@o-face said:
@muyjingo said:

I don't remember Batman killing anyone with guns outside of the nightmare/vision. He uses guns only to either shoot trackers or kryptonite gas canisters in the actual story line.

#396 Posted by warrior100 (2163 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved it thought it was great, Ben Affleck as Batman was great the best Batman in my opinion. wonder woman was great too. i thought Mercy graves was sexy as hell ! its a must buy for me on Blu-ray ! i can't believe this film is getting this must hate. can't wait to see the next DC films.

#397 Posted by Lunarstorm (298 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite Batman interpretation. Tired and gritty showing no mercy. Perfect execution by Ben Affleck in his action scenes and holding up the persona of Bruce and Batman in this unrelated reality FAR away from canon source as the possible can. This movie made me enjoy action heroes again much more than that flat out boring Avengers movie's with no soul trying desperately to stick to pillow fighting scenes, there was no risk in those movie at all. Chitauri as their best threat. WTH. Hopefully Civil War will be better than the Avenger movies. Captain America 2 was something I liked too. CA 1 was just awful. Too hell with all this, see the movies and move on. Not all movies will fall in your liking most people create an opinion because they can't separate canon material from their heroes and villains or the theme and tone of the movie is not dark or light enough. If I want comedy with action I'll watch Sharknado 4 or Deadpool.

#398 Posted by phocracker (229 posts) - - Show Bio

@The movie was a 5/5 outside of Lex failing at common sense of what would happen. Life isn't sunshine and games. Great movie.

#399 Posted by LuffyDUzumaki (132 posts) - - Show Bio

I just saw this movie, it's nowhere near as bad as I heard it was. It definitely has flaws but I don't understand why its being dumped on.

#400 Posted by superhoodie (614 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided