#1 Posted by DM_Titus (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello, I'm sure you guys get asked these question frequently, but what are the reading order to the Batman comics. Under the recommended reading, it starts with Year One. It works its way all the way down to Knightfall saga.

What comics would come after that? Is The New 52 next?

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
#2 Posted by deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Reading order only matters if you want to read a specific run or event. Morrison's run, Synder's run, Knightfall, No Man's Land, etc.

Just avoid Hush at all costs.

#3 Posted by DM_Titus (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is that? I've read on multiple forums that Hush was really good and worth the read lol

What exactly is Morrison's run? Does it start at a specific event?

#4 Edited by deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush is a poorly written mess, its only purpose is to get Jim Lee to draw as many Batman characters as possible. It features a love sick version of Batman that isn't capable of handling his emotions.

Grant Morrison's run is widely considered one of the best runs of Batman ever. It's extremely dense and requires, at times, some extreme knowledge of Batman's history. It's starts with Batman & Son and ends with Batman Inc.

http://www.comicvine.com/batman/4005-1699/forums/reading-order-for-grant-morrisons-batman-run-by-tr-626591/

Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
#5 Posted by deactivated-5a60370ee1024 (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Grant's run in the 1990s was superb and stuff written by Denny O'Neil is great. I can't think of anything else right now, and Grant Morrison is good too.

#6 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd jump on Batman #41 and read from there

#7 Posted by DM_Titus (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I just went to a comic book store in the town I work in. Bought Batman: Year One (it was first on the recommended reading) for $13. He said "It's $15 but I'll cut it down to $13 for you." So I bought it. I had made a list of my own and Amazon sells it for $8.80, but I was already there and 4 dollars isn't a big deal.

Debating whether or not I should just order them online in the future.

#8 Edited by deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Year One is phenomenal. You won't regret paying $13 for it.

I usually only go to comic book stores for monthly issues, back issues, and trades that I can't find for a decent price online.

#9 Posted by DM_Titus (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Good to hear. I'm figuring whenever I'm too busy to take a trip to the comic store I'll just order online. I'm looking at a lot of comics to buy and the $4-5 dollar difference will add up in the long run. Anyways, I'm going to start Year One when I get back to the house. After Year One I'll be buying The Man Who Laughs,

Avatar image for patrickborkland
#10 Posted by patrickborkland (325 posts) - - Show Bio

My strong opinion would be to start with Batman #1 (New 52). The New 52 restarted the whole universe so everything that happened before it ceased to exist (except for some significant events: Bane broke Batman's back, Joker killed Jason Jodd, Joker shot Barbra Gordon, etc). So if you're new to this world and you're concerned about reading order.... just start with the New 52.The New 52 was created for new readers anyway, because quite frankly, there's too much history for anyone to catch up on for previous story arcs.

#11 Edited by DM_Titus (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there any site that lists the exact order? This is my list for the Batman comics

Year One-The Man Who Laughs-Dark Victory-Batgirl/Robin Year One-Birth of the Demon-Son of the Demon-Nightwing-A Death in the Family-The Killing Joke-A Lonely Place of Dying-A Hero Reborn-Sword of Azrael-Vengeance of Bane-Knightfall-Knightquest-KnightEnd-No Man's Land-Hush-Under the Hood-Face the Face-Morrison's Batman run-and lastly the New 52 comics volumes 1-6, and the Dark Knight volumes 1-4

Now you have me thinking I should've skipped Year One on down and just started at New 52 :/

#12 Posted by DM_Titus (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Just finished Year One today. I don't think I'm patient enough to wait 3-5 days for shipping so I think I'm going back to the Comic store to buy The Man Who Laughs after lunch lol

#13 Edited by silent_bomber (4930 posts) - - Show Bio

@dm_titus said:

Is there any site that lists the exact order?

There is no exact order, you can go about putting them into order in a variety of ways (lots of stories were remade or contradict.)

Jeph Loeb stories especially contradict established continuity because of his gimmick of basing stories around a procession of villain cameos. His Two-face story, the Long Halloween for example includes a bunch of villains that shouldn't have been around yet.

Two-Face was always meant to be one of Batman's earliest major supervillains, he turned up a few months after Joker, origin stories for most of Batman's rogues actually include Two-Face, or references to Two-Face already existing.

Monster Men, and Mad Monk both take place during Batman's first year (during the gaps in "Year One") and are pretty good.

After Year One is "The Man Who Laughs", and after that would probably be "Venom"

#14 Edited by DM_Titus (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty much following the recommended reading list so after The Man Who Laughs I was going to buy Long Halloween

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#15 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (3301 posts) - - Show Bio
@dm_titus said:

Hello, I'm sure you guys get asked these question frequently, but what are the reading order to the Batman comics. Under the recommended reading, it starts with Year One. It works its way all the way down to Knightfall saga.

What comics would come after that? Is The New 52 next?

Directly after Knightfall you have:

Batman Prodigal, Contagion, Cataclysm, No Man's Land, Fugitive, and Hush in that order I believe.

Though as others have mentioned there are different ways to handle this thing. The New 52 is easy to do since pretty much every comic associated with it can still be easily found in stores or online. You therefore don't have to put much effort into collecting it. It's also the current canon that things are following, so it benefits you in terms of what's going on right now and where Batman and the rest of his Family are in their lives. I would personally reccomend to go with that, while collecting older stuff from any chronological list when you can.

For the older continuity, if you've already read Year One there's the Mad Monk and the Monster Men, which are like Year 1.5 for all intents and purposes. There's also Batman Gothic, Prey, Shaman, and Venom, which are all supposed to take place early in his career.

#16 Posted by silent_bomber (4930 posts) - - Show Bio

if you've already read Year One there's the Mad Monk and the Monster Men, which are like Year 1.5 for all intents and purposes. There's also Batman Gothic, Prey, Shaman, and Venom, which are all supposed to take place early in his career.

Mad Monk and Monster Men are like Year 0.5

:D

I believe Matt Wagner carefully set both of them during gaps in Year One at points where it jumped forward a month or two.

Shaman is set shortly before, and during the early events of Year One IIRC, there's also the Catwoman story "Her Sister's Keeper"

------------------------------------------------------------

In my personal timeline -

"Man who Laughs" starts off Year Two, "Two-Face - Eye of the Beholder" covers a long period of Year Two from early on in the year, "Venom" (story that introduced the drug) should be somewhere during the middle of Year 2 I think (you can half lie to yourself and try to fit it into Eye of the Beholder's gaps but It doesn't quite work as I think its a few weeks off even if you really stretch things).

"Questions Multiply the Answers" (Riddler origin), "Gothic" (creepy Grant Morrison tale), "Blades", and "Hot House", are in the latter half of Year Two, "Going Sane" finishes off that Year and gets a decent way into Year Three.

Year Three was traditionally when Robin turned up (The Long Halloween makes a mess of this a pushes it back years), the closest I could find to a decent Robin origin is the one in Robin Annual #4 (any suggestions welcome), Then "Faces" happens whilst Dick Grayson is training to become Robin, then "The Gauntlet" (Robin proves himself worthy), Then "Robin: Year One"

#17 Posted by DM_Titus (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Following the order of these comics are extremely difficult and to be honest, aggravating. Since I already bought (and finished) Year One, I'll just continue to buy the books off of the recommended reading list and then pick up the New 52 afterwards. There's just so many comics that overlap and contradict..why couldn't it be painless like collecting Star Wars novels. Now that is much easier lol

I already made my list of Batman comics I need to get and in what order so I guess I'll just see that through

#18 Posted by silent_bomber (4930 posts) - - Show Bio

@dm_titus said:

Following the order of these comics are extremely difficult and to be honest, aggravating.

I'm not too fussed as I don't like Long Halloween much and its just a remake of "Two-Face: Eye of the Beholder" anyway. Removing Jeph Loeb takes away a lot of the major problems and leaves you with just minor stuff like fitting everything into a time frame.

Though I just looked at the prices of some of the books I was talking about and jeez they've shot up in worth O_O

#19 Posted by jb681131 (3064 posts) - - Show Bio

@dm_titus: From Year One to Knightfall it makes like half of the Modern Batman stories.

Here is what you should know:

DC had 2 major reboots :

• in 1986 after Crisis on infinit earth
  • in 2011 after Flashpoint

Thus making 3 main Batman timelins

1. 1939-1986 : Gold, Silver and Bronze ages
  2. 1986-2011: Post-Crisis or Modern age
  3. 2011-now: Post-Flashpoint or New52

If you want to be up to date you have to read the New52 stories. The main Batman Title is not very good in my opinion (exept maybe for the Owls arc). The Detective Comics Title is bad up to issue 17 I think and way better from issue 30. Batman & Robin is awsome. The Dark Knight is very dark and fun. Nightwing then Grayson are also good to read. As for the other title, I don't think they are must reads.

In parallel to the New52 you should get to know the modern age Batman with very iconic stories. Here is a good Timeline with all stories and main ones in bold :http://www.comicvine.com/profile/batshrine/blog/batman-tpb-complete-chronology/79247/