Most inconsistent Batman Character?

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By batshrine

Who's the most inconsistently written Batman character? Many characters have a core essence but writers definitely have varying takes on them that make you question if its the same character.

Some examples of inconsistencies are Bane's intelligence, is he a conniving genius or idiotic lackey, Croc a monster or a guy with a bad skin condition, Two-Face a guy that relies on a gimmick of two or flip of the coin? OR Batman, is he a loner or not?!?! Does he smile or not?!?!

So ya which character do you think is the most inconsistent when written?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By the_tree

Jason Todd. Although he's been pretty static since The New 52.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Agreed on Jason Todd. Killer Croc also comes to mind. His appearance alone constantly changes.

BCreatures16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BCreatures16

I think one of the worst examples of character inconsistency was Frank Miller's All Star Batman and Robin. The whole "goddamn Batman" thing and telling Robin to eat rats in the Batcave was ridiculous and out of character to the extreme.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By serpent222

I give my vote to Bane. After his introduction, he's never treated as a real threat like ever again.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By moywar700

the most inconsistent bat-character is batman

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Onemoreposter

@batshrine: Honestly, in the long run, I'd say the Joker. He been a prankster, a murderer, a super-genius, and a drug addled psycho. Sometimes he was a comedian who had "one bad day" and other times he was a mob enforcer or free lance hit-man. He's usually a bonafide loon, but Morrison wrote off his psychosis as super-intelligence and Winnick implied it was just an act. Generally despite the fact that the Joker "enjoys Batmans company" he wouldn't hesitate to land the killing blow. Now though Synder's turned his relationship with Batman into an obsessive "loving" one.

So yeah. The Joker for sure.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By batshrine

@Onemoreposter: I would say they have definitely changed his personality a lot, I mean was literally depicted at times as a gay character and his crush being Batman. But that never really bugged me just cause well he is crazy right?!?! I do dislike all powerful joker though, that has contingency after contingency, and he is totally over played.

And as far as his changing origins, please lets make more origins. I do see them as opposites and while Batman's origin defines him, Joker's is truly unknown and constantly changing cause well its not important at all.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Onemoreposter

@batshrine: Completely agree about the origin part. In fact, I was ecstatic when Lovers and Madmen came out, I far prefer it to the Killing Joke. Would love to see another take.

As for the Joker being gay, that'ed be fine with me. I don't see his current affections for Batman as homosexual in nature in any case. Instead I see it more as the love of a child for their father or the devout for their god. Jokers sort of like that first born who's jealous of all his new brothers and sisters that he has to share his fathers affections with now.

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_jackolantern

Joker is suppose to be like that.he is suppose to be different every time.would you really just want the one same joker?

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By batshrine

@Onemoreposter: I think I agree with you 100%, I'm just saying as far as depiction goes, there have been some flamboyant Jokers out there.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By arnoldoaad

I also agree on Jason Todd, sometimes his a villain, sometimes he is a hero, sometimes he is an antihero, sometimes he is just crazy, sometimes he is a redhead, sometimes he is not, DC just cant take a decision on the character

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Guys guys guys.... Look, if all our beloved characters were the same "type" of people in every comic, you would be bored instantly, DC gives the writers, the painters freedom, and that is lovely, and thats why all the rogues gallery and even Batman is so cool after his 70+ years of being in service man! embrace change! yes we can! lol

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By batshrine

@FatihBATMAN: Ha this isn't a thread for complaints so you have nothing to fear! hahaha love your approach though. No this is more just observation which character is the most inconsistently written.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FatihBATMAN said:

Guys guys guys.... Look, if all our beloved characters were the same "type" of people in every comic, you would be bored instantly, DC gives the writers, the painters freedom, and that is lovely, and thats why all the rogues gallery and even Batman is so cool after his 70+ years of being in service man! embrace change! yes we can! lol

At the same time, there's something to be said for a certain consistency in the intelligence, appearance, and abilities of a character.

Rick_Grayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rick_Grayson

Not sure that this counts as an inconsistency, but I thought it'd be worth asking because it's been bothering me for some time. I started collecting comics properly about 3 years ago, when I had my own place and income etc. I get Batman more than any other (though i do branch out occasionally) and have amassed a fair amount of comics now. What i don't know is why Two-Face is seen as such a threat? Literally the only thing I see that he has on offer is decent marksmanship, though Batman has beaten better, yet people seem to shake in fear at the mention of his name. Could anyone shed some light please?

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SandMan_

Batman himself.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rick_Grayson said:

Not sure that this counts as an inconsistency, but I thought it'd be worth asking because it's been bothering me for some time. I started collecting comics properly about 3 years ago, when I had my own place and income etc. I get Batman more than any other (though i do branch out occasionally) and have amassed a fair amount of comics now. What i don't know is why Two-Face is seen as such a threat? Literally the only thing I see that he has on offer is decent marksmanship, though Batman has beaten better, yet people seem to shake in fear at the mention of his name. Could anyone shed some light please?

Well I can't speak for classic stories, but after One Year Later he now has some training with Batman in his arsenal, and seeing as how all the Batman stories are apparently still in this new timeline (rolls eyes) that should still be canon. He was able to suitably defend Gotham in Bruce's absence so that says something.

In terms of inconsistency, I think the Joker's a special case. Because it's been made canon that he reinvents himself, and his origin is still up in the air, accounting for the various different interpretations we've seen. Other villains however don't have the same excuse. When you have Bane discovering Bruce's identity on his own and pushing Batman to the brink in one story, and then being nothing more than a muscle bound junkie in another that's just bad writing.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By TDK_1997

Jason or Kiler Croc.Croc has always been something writers don't know how to handle.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

It doesn't matter if Joker is a incosistent character because he is crazy, In Arkham Asylum: A serious house on serious Earth it is stated that Joker changes his personality and MO. So one day he can be gay and the next day he can be straight to give a example.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Stormbox

@FatihBATMAN said:

I want my characters to be written consistently, i dont give a crap about change if it doesnt make sense

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#22  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@moywar700 said:

Word.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By r3d_rob1n

I'm ok with changes if events show us the reason for that change. Such as when Batman feels he can trust nobody, then Infinite Crisis happens and he realizes he should keep his "family" close or vice versa in the case of Bruce Wayne: Fugitive. It is always essential to remember that while we are able to read events happening to all the characters at one time, Bruce is only truly aware of what is happening in his own life. Despite all the surveillance he may have on somebody, there is always a chance that members of the Batfamily might be able to keep secrets, they were all trained by Bruce after all. So it is understandable, at least in my mind, to understand why Bruce may play things close to the chest.

I was very displeased with the change of character that happened with Jason beginning in Battle for the Cowl and continuing into Morrison's Batman and Robin. I felt that it retracted from the character's development. However, I must say that his incarnation in the New 52 has been very pleasing so far. It is nice to see Jason move on from his past, yet not become a happy smiley symbol of good.

When villains in Batman's life change it is easier to cope with, due to the fact that they are all basically psychotic. Bane's portrayal is a bit irritating at times though.

@Rick_Grayson: I think one of the biggest things about Two-Face is the relationship that Batman had with Harvey before his fall. In a way he was the original Jason Todd, in that he was an ally that fell from grace. Also, some of the things Two Face did to Dick Grayson when he first started as Robin (read Robin Year One) would be pretty scarring for them.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By SUNMAN

Joker. Written so differently from writer to writer its crazy

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jack Donaghy

Batman.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tupiaz

@batshrine said:

Two-Face a guy that relies on a gimmick of two or flip of the coin?

I don't really see a inconsistency between the two. Care to elaborate? I personally think the latter is a outcome because of the first. Sometimes the story focus more on the latter than the first.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Jason Todd and Joker...kind of an ironic pairing...

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By batshrine

@tupiaz: Well there are depictions where he is a crime boss that doe some good and some bad depending on his coin, this is the depiction I love, his crimes not relating to the number two (like how he was in No Man's Land). Then there depictions where his character has to do things related to two, and to me thats just way too gimmicky and doesn't make as much sense. They aren't mutually exlusive depictions but some writers emphasize one over the other.

@DarkKnightDetective: Problem is, I've never heard of a mental disorder where someone can just change their sexuality at will...However I don't mind if he is bi, and I don't really care if it established or not because the only relationship I truly care about, and I think the only one he cares about, is his relationship with Batman.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tupiaz

@batshrine: That sounds rather stupid. Two-face is about dualism (good versus evil) not obsession with the number two).

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By batshrine

@tupiaz: My point exactly!

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FatihBATMAN

@SUNMAN said:

Joker. Written so differently from writer to writer its crazy

True! :D why does DC give so much freedom! ARGHHH (pun) :P

clemj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By clemj

@serpent222: vol 1 of "the dark knight" series... you sure?

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By batshrine

OH just thought of one! Its more artistic but Bruce when he is shirtless always varies. Sometimes he is hairy sometimes he isn't! Sometimes he has a lot of scars, sometimes he has none at all!

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By roboadmiral

While his personality has remained the same, Alfred's capabilities have been extremely variable. Sometimes he's maintained his combat and tactical skills from his youth. Other times he gets hit in the head with a hammer by Joker without putting up an ounce of fight (my one bone to pick with Scott Snyder).

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MethoKi

I always wonder what about Killer Croc. I'd just rather think he starts out as a human with a bad skin condition, then gets injected with something to make him turn into a croc.

Bane is the most inconsistent to me. In the game, he's this big titan fueled monster who just runs in a straight line until he hits a wall. In the movie, he's an intelligent threat who happens to be doing his work under the orders of someone else. In the other movie, he's just a big retard who just shouts out random things. (but thats due to different directors). In the comics he's the intelligent, strategic straight up boss we know.

Joker is supposed to be random. It's what makes him... The Joker. He's just awesome like that

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deaditegonzo

@moywar700 said:

Swung by to say this. Although you misspelled Batgod.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#37  Edited By Joygirl

Riddler often goes from being an obsessive, ingenius threat to a hapless gimmick character.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By batshrine

@Joygirl: Ha my favorite (sarcasm) is when punny jokes pass as riddles...

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By entropy_aegis

@batshrine said:

Who's the most inconsistently written Batman character? Many characters have a core essence but writers definitely have varying takes on them that make you question if its the same character.

Some examples of inconsistencies are Bane's intelligence, is he a conniving genius or idiotic lackey, Croc a monster or a guy with a bad skin condition, Two-Face a guy that relies on a gimmick of two or flip of the coin? OR Batman, is he a loner or not?!?! Does he smile or not?!?!

So ya which character do you think is the most inconsistent when written?

Disagree completely on Bane,he is one of the most CONSISTENT Batman characters,just cause he does not break Batman's back every other day doesn't make him in consistent.His comics version is very much consistent overall,however I do agree with this assessment if you're referring to games,toons etc. I think Croc,Harley and Ivy are incredibly inconsistent power wise,Two-Face is inconsistent personality wise,Ra's is inconsistent motivation wise and Joker is inconsistent all around.

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By Joelislegend

Jason! He should still be dead.

Then he was back trying to murder everyone as Red Hood... okay... I kind of liked the spin on him being an evil Batman.

Now he's good and leading Batman Inc... DA FUCK???????????!!!!!!!

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By reignmaker

Cool thread. I'd have to agree that it's Batman though. Not that exciting of an answer, but it's true. Just compare how Morrison, Snyder, and Johns all write him. Joker is different for the same reasons, but I think it makes more sense in the context of story.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

Agreed on Jason Todd. Killer Croc also comes to mind. His appearance alone constantly changes.

Batmans villains are actually the most inconsistent look wise.Just look at Two Face for an example.

DoctorWeeTodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harley and Croc have the most inconsistently depicted intelligence levels even when wirtten by the same writers.

Harley Quinn started off as the Joker's airheaded gun moll. Then Paul Dini decided it might be funny and ironic to mention she was once an Arkham psychiatrist. He then ran with that idea, and decided to explore it further, and suddenly she has genius level intellect, then she is back to being a childish idiot sometimes within the same story.

Killer Croc first appeared as a criminal mastermind with a skin condition and above average strength. Now he fluctuates from that and a superhuman mutant brute with the brains of a bag of rocks (that he'd throw at Batman.)

Oh and ever since Batman: TAS reinvented Mr. Freeze into a tragic antivillain, writers don't know whether he should stay that, a common thug, or an omnicidal maniac.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of the Batfamily I would say Jason, how he is written in his own book and in the Batfamily cross overs is not really matching up imo.

@DoctorWeeTodd: Crock has been portrait as a brainless Brute for decades by now, he was never portrait as a master mind after his first story arc (the pre crisis Jason Todd origin which is an really underrated story). Only his strength level varies drastically.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: They better not use Jason in crossovers anymore. They waste him anyways, and I dont want that. He's my fav

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CatWoman

Consistent in only her inconsistency.