Edited 2 years, 5 months ago

Poll: Is DCAU Batman the definitive Batman for you? (77 votes)

Yes 57%
No 43%
No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's Batman is the definitive Batman for me but DCAU is probably a close second.

Avatar image for masterdetective
#2 Edited by MasterDetective (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep

Comics Batman is either a Mary Sue or is too dark for his own good

#3 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

Morrison's Batman is the definitive Batman for me

This

#4 Posted by jb681131 (3119 posts) - - Show Bio

Since his creation in 1938 Batman has had different eras, the Batman we know, Dark and Serious, comes from the Bronze Age (the 70's) when writters switched from the 60's funny Batman to the one we know now. Saying that his or his Batman is the definitive one is absurd. For exemple Batman from the animated series (90's), he is not the same in season 1 than in season 5 when he's now surrounded by Batgirl, Robin II and Nightwing. Nor Grant's Batman is not the same during Gothic, A serious house on a serious earth, The resurection of Ra's Al Ghul, Batman and Son, and Batman Inc.

#5 Posted by Enzo991 (462 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:

Since his creation in 1938 Batman has had different eras, the Batman we know, Dark and Serious, comes from the Bronze Age (the 70's) when writters switched from the 60's funny Batman to the one we know now. Saying that his or his Batman is the definitive one is absurd. For exemple Batman from the animated series (90's), he is not the same in season 1 than in season 5 when he's now surrounded by Batgirl, Robin II and Nightwing. Nor Grant's Batman is not the same during Gothic, A serious house on a serious earth, The resurection of Ra's Al Ghul, Batman and Son, and Batman Inc.

This is exactly why I consider Batman to be one of the best, most multi-dimensional characters in comic book's history. No other character can boast so many different takes and interpretations of their character, and still remain faithful to what makes the character tick, and remain acceptable to the consumers. If a character can't be adapted and interpreted in different ways to fit multiple kind of stories, while remaining relevant, then in my opinion that's the mark of a one-dimensional character. At least that's what I tell the people who like hating on Batman, and don't get why many people love him.

#6 Posted by wrucebayne (568 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't have a definitive Batman. I welcome different takes on the character, I just ask for the essence of what makes Batman Batman to be there.

#7 Posted by Black_Arrow (10279 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

Morrison's Batman is the definitive Batman for me but DCAU is probably a close second.

#8 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even my favorite animated Batman.

I prefer Terry in terms of Batmen.

Just Bruce, nothing beats Brave & the Bold.

#9 Posted by GonnaGetThat (148 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I don't have a definitive version of Batman, but if I did it would be from a comic.

#10 Edited by lxlGiftedlxl (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

Woah you actually like a version of Bruce Wayne?

But yeah Brave and the Bold was great.

#11 Posted by lxlGiftedlxl (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm don't have one yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#12 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman TAS is my Batman. That show is better than any Batman comic.

#13 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@lxlgiftedlxl: That Silver Age tho.

How can anyone not like SA Bruce?

#14 Posted by theMightyMODOK (439 posts) - - Show Bio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn50MlLHVAA

#15 Posted by lxlGiftedlxl (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

@lxlgiftedlxl: That Silver Age tho.

How can anyone not like SA Bruce?

SA Batman was cool I liked him, but I do like late 80 upward alot more.

#16 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

Woah you actually like a version of Bruce Wayne?

But yeah Brave and the Bold was great.

Yeah, BATB Batman was awesome so was The Batman's Batman.

@enzo991 said:

@jb681131 said:

This is exactly why I consider Batman to be one of the best, most multi-dimensional characters in comic book's history. No other character can boast so many different takes and interpretations of their character, and still remain faithful to what makes the character tick, and remain acceptable to the consumers. If a character can't be adapted and interpreted in different ways to fit multiple kind of stories, while remaining relevant, then in my opinion that's the mark of a one-dimensional character. At least that's what I tell the people who like hating on Batman, and don't get why many people love him.

Agreed

#17 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: in layman terms he's had shitty days and good days that lead to his best stories atm. God knows the bat wankers would cry foul if he still killed, was corny as hell, and did other dumb golden age stuff. Batmans definitive era is the one that produces the best results. Contrary to popular or deluded belief that's always been the case. Otherwise would you praise a rapist Batman who does meth? No? Exactly

#18 Posted by kcomicfan (4690 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the DCAU version of Batman, but I would not consider him to be the definitive version of the character.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#19 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

Batman TAS is my Batman. That show is better than any Batman comic.

Agreed. Show captures everything that's great and important about the character and portrays him at his best.

#20 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a kid still then but I preferred The Batman interpretation of well Batman. Alot of cool character moments with DCAU though

#21 Edited by adrikito (331 posts) - - Show Bio

I don´t know.. I do not see a big difference.. He is BATMAN.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
#22 Posted by deactivated-5a60370ee1024 (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much, it was the closest to the comics compared to other series. I like the Nolan movies, but the DCAU nailed the characters like Batman, Joker, and others pretty perfectly. I posted up a link not too long ago, some guy compared the comics Joker with the DCAU one and they’re extremely similar almost indentical. Then again, I’m more of saying they’re the closest to the comics and not saying which one is definitive. While I like the DCAU Batman and consider it to be the definitive on-screen Batman, the most definitive take on Batman when it comes to comics has to be the Steve Englehart-Marshall Rogers run in Detective Comics. There’s not a writer out there that wrote as well as he did in that great run.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
#23 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

I can go with B:TAS Batman being my definitive version of the character, however, not the Justice League or Justice League: Unlimited versions of the character.

#24 Edited by lxlGiftedlxl (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerevarine_11 said:

@jb681131: in layman terms he's had shitty days and good days that lead to his best stories atm. God knows the bat wankers would cry foul if he still killed, was corny as hell, and did other dumb golden age stuff. Batmans definitive era is the one that produces the best results. Contrary to popular or deluded belief that's always been the case. Otherwise would you praise a rapist Batman who does meth? No? Exactly

What 0_0? When was he ever that?

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
#25 Posted by Jasoninthewoods (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Currently he is.

#26 Posted by commissar (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Is DCAU Batman the definitive Batman for you?

Considering I had been exposed to Batman for over twenty years before Batman: The Animated Series premiered . . . no, not really.

(Though there is much about B:TAS that I do enjoy.)

#27 Posted by casper4690 (704 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't have definitive , too many amaZing writers with different interpretations.

#28 Posted by josai34 (76 posts) - - Show Bio

DCAU is my definitive Batman...but I wouldn't say it is mydefnitive Batfamily.

They did good with it until Dick became Nightwing. The combo of Jason and Tim as the next robin always felt really off to me.

#29 Posted by WastelandMan (8810 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh hell yeah.

#30 Posted by Rurgandy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

He was well-written in the early seasons of BTAS but over time, he became Fladerized into the grim and angsty type, while being too much of a self-insert character.

#31 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

Most certainly.

#32 Posted by Eto (5297 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a hard one actually.

#33 Posted by Eto (5297 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by ChildoftheAtom (942 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like a lot of people are saying yes because they this was the biggest medium of batman for a long stretch of time. That being said if we are bringing up non comic versions then the arkham verse for sure for me

#35 Posted by jayc1324 (26429 posts) - - Show Bio

Arkham Batman is for me, but DCAU Batman is very close, and they're both very similar anyway.

#36 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

I don't think the definitive version (to me) of any comic character exists anywhere but my own head. My definitive Batman is a gestalt of his portrayals in movies, cartoons, games and comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6
#37 Posted by deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6 (2795 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman in Justice League Unlimited was my absolute favorite Batman.

#38 Edited by NoRespect (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked TAS Batman more, because they frequently highlighted his humanity in the series. He came off as tortured, but noble. In the comics, they sometimes make him into a cold and distant psycho. I dislike it.

You just don't see this Batman in comics:

Loading Video...

#39 Posted by SirNeko (4396 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoever is the canon Batman is my definitive Batman.

#40 Posted by doctorjimmy (62 posts) - - Show Bio

No version of Batman (outside of the comics, which have had so many flavors, styles and shades through the years) can be deemed truly, 100% definitive at the moment, but DCAU Batman is probably the closest we have to a definitive take (like Walter White's meth, it's 99% pure :p ). The key to the greatness of this take is balance. He is not overly dark and serious, neither campy and too light. He's not an asshole, but neither too noble and good. His personality is explored in a rich way and he seems truly human: we learn of his insecurities with a past martial arts classmate, his fanboyism with his childhood hero (it certainly hits home), his fear of not being approven by his parents, his relationship with the Bat-family etc.) He is just a incredibly well-rounded, nuanced character -not that other versions aren't, but DCAU Batman seems to deliver on all of the aspects of his mythos and personality.

The only nitpick I have is that, for all his greatness, DCAU Batman never showed his full capabilities as a fighter.

#41 Posted by Pokeysteve (12020 posts) - - Show Bio

The most Batmany Batman for me is Arkham Batman. He had it all in those games without any of the douchiness.

#42 Posted by Dark_Emperor (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup

Avatar image for hauntedgraveyard
#43 Posted by HauntedGraveyard (252 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I like Kilmer's Batman, Keaton's Batman and Affleck's Batman, 70s-90s Batman

#44 Posted by Chris-Sama (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't this the Batman that ragdolls Superman tier people? If so then yes.

#45 Posted by PoundYourAss (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Post crisis was definitive for me.

#46 Edited by Revive (534 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I like comic Batman more.

#47 Posted by TheGotyMan (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Snyder's Batman and the Arkham games Batman are my two favourites. Court of Owls went a long way towards making Snyder's take on the character the definitive for me.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
#48 Posted by infantfinite128 (5849 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted yes, but I think I have to go with Frank Miller's 80s Batman. The older I get, the more I love it.