• 89 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for anjales_ii
#1 Edited by Anjales_II (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

According to the stories, not anyone can lift Thor's hammer. It's not about strength, it's about will and good heart. Several characters have been able to lift Thor's hammer including Captain America, Storm, Beta Ray Bill, and it was implied that Spider-Man can. When it comes to DC, the first characters that come to mind who are capable of this feat are Superman and Wonder Woman. (in the DC/Marvel crossover, Superman was actually able to lift Thor's hammer.) However, what about Batman? In DC, even when compared to super-powered characters, Batman is one of the most determined individuals. And even if he won't admit himself, some stories have told that deep down, Batman is a good person, so, is her worthy of lifting Thor's hammer?

Avatar image for armiv2
#2 Posted by ARMIV2 (10074 posts) - - Show Bio

I get this feeling that he isn't.

Avatar image for the_ghostshell
#3 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

The real question is if Thor's Hammer is worthy of being lifted by Batman...

Avatar image for matthewparker
#4 Edited by MatthewParker (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

No I wouldn't think he could.

Avatar image for MadFacedKid
#5 Posted by MadFacedKid (6596 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for anjales_ii
#6 Posted by Anjales_II (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

@matthewparker guilty :) Honestly I was too lazy to look it up, and I didn't want to spell it wrong, so I just said Thor's hammer to be safe :P

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

You need to be willing to kill to lift Thor's hammer.

Avatar image for kasino
#8 Posted by kasino (2060 posts) - - Show Bio

You need to be willing to kill to lift Thor's hammer.

didn't know that

Avatar image for matthewparker
#9 Posted by MatthewParker (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

@anjales: haha, it's cool! I actually deleted that portion of my comment because I thought it was kind of jerkish, lol.

Avatar image for kgb725
#10 Posted by kgb725 (18354 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#11 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: Pretty sure Odin said you needed to have the heart of a warrior to wield it

Avatar image for kgb725
#12 Posted by kgb725 (18354 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Doesn't make killing a requirement. Cap weilded it and he rarely kills not sure how many times he has done it on panel

Avatar image for w0nd
#13 Posted by w0nd (6803 posts) - - Show Bio

he is paranoid, and territorial to a fault. Not for the greater good.

Avatar image for warlock360
#14 Posted by warlock360 (28187 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

he is paranoid, and territorial to a fault. Not for the greater good.

no?

Avatar image for dagmar_merrill
#15 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio

The real question is if Thor's Hammer is worthy of being lifted by Batman...

Avatar image for w0nd
#16 Posted by w0nd (6803 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

he is paranoid, and territorial to a fault. Not for the greater good.

no?

When the fate of the world is at stake he is all for teamwork (at times) but someone steps foot in his city to help out and it's all "gtfo of my city" His city is a pile of crap, he clearly needs help before it ends up like blüdhaven.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@jonny_anonymous: Doesn't make killing a requirement. Cap weilded it and he rarely kills not sure how many times he has done it on panel

Yes it does warrior = killing. Cap went to war used guns and shot and killed people.

Avatar image for superguy1591
#18 Edited by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman isn't a warrior, a fighter that doesn't kill isn't a warrior, he's a martial artist.

Diana is the one most likely to lift Mjilnor. Superman caouldn't lift it either, but I reckon Golden Age Supes could.

Avatar image for the_ghostshell
#19 Edited by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, that doesnt really make any sense. Since when did being a warrior come with the prerequisite of having to kill? A warrior may kill his opponent, but if he doesn't, if he simply establishes dominance or achieves victory through submission or retreat, he's still a warrior. There's the figurative term and the literal term. Neither one state that killing is mandatory.

war·rior

noun, often attributive \ˈwȯr-yər, ˈwȯr-ē-ər, ˈwär-ē- also ˈwär-yər\

: a person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

Sounds like Batman to me......

Avatar image for Subject879
#20 Posted by Subject87 (30 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for jayc1324
#21 Posted by jayc1324 (26421 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think batman is a warrior at heart. He definitely can be one, but he's more of a paranoid, tactical, planner and detective type.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#22 Posted by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

The real question is if Thor's Hammer is worthy of being lifted by Batman...

Avatar image for superguy1591
#23 Edited by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

@quintus_knightfall: Sounds like Batman...Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, MM and every superhero in comic history.

A warrior is a person specializing in combat or warfare, especially within the context of a tribal or clan-based society that recognizes a separate warrior class or caste.

Not this 21st century definition, don't fight in wars = not a warrior (war is even in the word). Not only has Batman never killed or fought in a war, he's never even been enlisted. Batman isn't a warrior.

Avatar image for rustyroy
#24 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for darkhunter89
#25 Posted by darkhunter89 (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

The real question is if Thor's Hammer is worthy of being lifted by Batman...

this lol

Avatar image for blackpookie
#26 Posted by BlackPookie (680 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for the_ghostshell
#27 Edited by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio


Not this 21st century definition, don't fight in wars = not a warrior (war is even in the word). Not only has Batman never killed or fought in a war, he's never even been enlisted. Batman isn't a warrior.

Where is this 21st century definition and how is it different? If anything the 21st century definition has been watered down. We call our athletes warriors everyday. MMA, Wrestlers, and Boxers are called warriors. Even in warfare, Soldiers who have fought in wars but never killed are still warriors. A warrior is still a person who specializes in "Combat" AND ;) Warfare. Not just a person who's exclusively fought in wars. But just for the sake of argument, Batman has fought in countless Wars alongside the JLA and on his own. Even beyond all this is the fact that all Odin said was the person must have a "warriors heart." That could mean any number of things. Its so subjectively open to interpretation its not even funny. "A Warriors Heart." Sounds more like he's looking for qualities such as courage, honor, discipline, etc. Not whether or not someone's gone into a war and slaughtered his enemies. Darkseid's fought in Wars and kills his foes, does he know qualify as being able to lift Mjolnir?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#28 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591 said:

Not this 21st century definition, don't fight in wars = not a warrior (war is even in the word). Not only has Batman never killed or fought in a war, he's never even been enlisted. Batman isn't a warrior.

Where is this 21st century definition and how is it different? If anything the 21st century definition has been watered down. We call our athletes warriors everyday. MMA, Wrestlers, and Boxers are called warriors. Even in warfare, Soldiers who have fought in wars but never killed are still warriors. A warrior is still a person who specializes in "Combat" AND ;) Warfare. Not just a person who's exclusively fought in wars. But just for the sake of argument, Batman has fought in countless Wars alongside the JLA and on his own. Even beyond all this is the fact that all Odin said was the person must have a "warriors heart." That could mean any number of things. Its so subjectively open to interpretation its not even funny. "A Warriors Heart." Sounds more like he's looking for qualities such as courage, honor, discipline, etc. Not whether or not someone's gone into a war and slaughtered his enemies. Darkseid's fought in Wars and kills his foes, does he know qualify as being able to lift Mjolnir?

Obviously having a warriors heart isn't the only qualification but it is one of them. Being a warrior means knowing when to kill and when not to kill, when to sacrifice and when not to sacrifice, this is not Batman. Also comic book "battles" are not battles.

Avatar image for the_ghostshell
#29 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously having a warriors heart isn't the only qualification but it is one of them. Being a warrior means knowing when to kill and when not to kill, when to sacrifice and when not to sacrifice, this is not Batman. Also comic book "battles" are not battles.

Okay hold on, obviously its not the only qualification but thats the one you tried using to disqualify him yes? Okay :) Now, knowing when to kill and when not to kill is what a warrior means to you, but thats not what a warrior is defined as. And when the fate of the World was at stake Batman did in fact kill, or attempt to kill, Darkseid. Also hahahahh WHAT? Comicbook batlles arent battles? So let me get this straight, we're using a comicbook character and a comicbook weapon, but we're not using comicbook feats? Wha? So Batman cant lift Mjolnir cause he didnt fight in WW2 or Iraq? Now you're just moving the goal posts to fit your argument. Weaksauce man lol

Avatar image for superguy1591
#30 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

@quintus_knightfall: All those qualities can be attributed to every superhero and, if we are to take Marvel v. DC at its word, Superman cant lift Mjilnor even though he shares all those qualities with Batman.

Batman isnt a warrior, he's a martial artist. Batman is only a fighter because he has to be, not because he loves battle. Diana is the only member of DC's trinity that is a warrior.

Avatar image for chibi_cute
#31 Posted by Chibi_cute (5157 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman would lift it and use it to repair his mansion. not knowing what its capable of.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#32 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@quintus_knightfall: All those qualities can be attributed to every superhero and, if we are to take Marvel v. DC at its word, Superman cant lift Mjilnor even though he shares all those qualities with Batman.

Batman isnt a warrior, he's a martial artist. Batman is only a fighter because he has to be, not because he loves battle. Diana is the only member of DC's trinity that is a warrior.

Aquaman maybe?

Avatar image for cosmicoldguy
#33 Posted by CosmicOldGuy (144 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope - Batman does not lift Thor's hammer. In fact, given that he can't lift it and all his smarts & science cannot figure out Thor's hammer, it drives him insane and he becomes the new villain of Gotham.

Avatar image for the_ghostshell
#34 Edited by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591: I'm unfamiliar with who at Marvel and DC said that Superman couldn't lift Mjilnor, or why. In my opinion Superman is also a hero. He fought alongside Wonder Woman in DC's Valhalla for a hundred years straight or something absurd. If thats not a warrior then what is? Most superheroes are warriors by definition. Which is probably why the actual statement focuses on the "heart' and not just the literal interpretation. There's something about whats going on on the inside of the would be holder beyond just fighting battles and warfare.

You keep saying that but you havent shown me why he isnt. He is a martial artist, and he's also a warrior. Does he fight with skill and courage? Yup. Has he been in wars? Yup (fictional or not, in his Universe he's fought in wars). He engages in combat on the regular. He's a warrior. Wonder Woman is the DC's premiere Warrior, but that in no way means there arent other warriors in the DCU or even on the JLA. She was born a warrior, Batman forged himself into a warrior.

Avatar image for superguy1591
#35 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

@quintus_knightfall: Does he love battle? Nope, if Gotham is crime free he hangs it up. Supes too. Diana just loves to fight.

Avatar image for the_ghostshell
#36 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591: Thats actually a really valid point. But then doesnt that just mean that he is a warrior cause he has to be, not cause he wants to be? I'd also argue that even if Gotham became crime free, Bruce/Batman would still fight alongside the JLA and defend Earth against invading forces. He has a warrior's spirit in every sense of the word and ideal. He just doesnt kill (usually, but on occasion, has).

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
#37 Posted by Sophisticated_Ignorance (2182 posts) - - Show Bio

lmao a brooding sociopath who manipulates everyone around him worthy of Thors hammer,yeah OK.

Avatar image for munsu
#38 Posted by Munsu (166 posts) - - Show Bio

People actually think he could lift it? Wow. No way he should be able to. Batman does what he does not out of the goodness of his heart or a desire to help people, but because of an obsessive need to fill a void left inside him from when his parents were murdered. I've always believed that Gotham and it's villains are a reflection of Batman. So Gotham is a miserable place because Batman is miserable. Don't get me wrong he goes good things and that obsessive desire makes him a great hero , but I think at his core he is motivated by a very selfish reason. It's sort of why everyone around him ends up miserable or hating him because he puts that selfish desire above everything else. It's what differentiates Bruce from Dick even though he saw his parents murdered in front of him as well. Dick enjoys being a hero and helping people. That is what motivates him because he is able to move on from his parents death unlike Bruce.

Avatar image for rustyroy
#39 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

@munsu said:

People actually think he could lift it? Wow. No way he should be able to. Batman does what he does not out of the goodness of his heart or a desire to help people, but because of an obsessive need to fill a void left inside him from when his parents were murdered. I've always believed that Gotham and it's villains are a reflection of Batman. So Gotham is a miserable place because Batman is miserable. Don't get me wrong he goes good things and that obsessive desire makes him a great hero , but I think at his core he is motivated by a very selfish reason. It's sort of why everyone around him ends up miserable or hating him because he puts that selfish desire above everything else. It's what differentiates Bruce from Dick even though he saw his parents murdered in front of him as well. Dick enjoys being a hero and helping people. That is what motivates him because he is able to move on from his parents death unlike Bruce.

I don't see how making sure no one goes through from what he did is selfish, if anything he's one of the most selfless and devoted heroes there is, he puts others priorities above his own, he barely lives a normal life because of that. Gotham was miserable long before Bruce became Batman, its actually one of the main reasons he became Batman. And who enjoys fighting mad clowns and psychotic murderers? Who enjoys watching murders, rapes? Dick is thrill-seeker, he enjoys facing bad guys more than anyone, Bruce on the other hand does it because he wants to help people, the job he does isn't supposed to be fun, when you are investigating a murder of someone you are not supposed to be happy, you are not supposed to enjoy it.

Avatar image for hit_monkey
#40 Posted by Hit_Monkey (1402 posts) - - Show Bio

lmao a brooding sociopath who manipulates everyone around him worthy of Thors hammer,yeah OK.

hahaha yup.

Avatar image for bezza
#41 Posted by Bezza (5019 posts) - - Show Bio

..No he shouldn't be able to lift it....in fact I have a problem with anyone other than Thor lifting it tbh.

Avatar image for alexander_grimmgate
#42 Posted by alexander_grimmgate (1 posts) - - Show Bio

you need a strong sense of honor and the will to sacrifice yourself for the greater good so in turn batman probably could

Avatar image for munsu
#43 Posted by Munsu (166 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

I don't see how making sure no one goes through from what he did is selfish, if anything he's one of the most selfless and devoted heroes there is, he puts others priorities above his own, he barely lives a normal life because of that. Gotham was miserable long before Bruce became Batman, its actually one of the main reasons he became Batman. And who enjoys fighting mad clowns and psychotic murderers? Who enjoys watching murders, rapes? Dick is thrill-seeker, he enjoys facing bad guys more than anyone, Bruce on the other hand does it because he wants to help people, the job he does isn't supposed to be fun, when you are investigating a murder of someone you are not supposed to be happy, you are not supposed to enjoy it.

You can enjoy being a hero just like someone enjoys being a cop, a doctor or a fireman. They are tough jobs but you preform a selfless service to other people and feel inspired by it. I think the idea you can't enjoy being a hero is insane. Bruce doesn't enjoy it because it is an obsession for him. There is no arguing this in my opinion. It goes beyond just enjoying what he does and wanting to help people. There is a reason they say that all of Batman's rogues are a part of Bruce. I think he sort of in a way creates them or is just as crazy as they are but is on the side of justice.

I just think at his core Bruce is motivated by a selfish desire to fill a void left inside him from when his parents died and no amount of crime fighting will be enough to cure him of that and it becomes an obsession for him. I am not saying he isn't a great hero and sacrifices himself for others to try and help them, but I think the difference between him and Dick, or even Clark, is that Bruce does what he does because he has to as it is what keeps him going since his parents died and they do it because they want to help people as their main motivating factor.

Avatar image for rustyroy
#44 Edited by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

@munsu said:

You can enjoy being a hero just like someone enjoys being a cop, a doctor or a fireman. They are tough jobs but you preform a selfless service to other people and feel inspired by it. I think the idea you can't enjoy being a hero is insane. Bruce doesn't enjoy it because it is an obsession for him. There is no arguing this in my opinion. It goes beyond just enjoying what he does and wanting to help people. There is a reason they say that all of Batman's rogues are a part of Bruce. I think he sort of in a way creates them or is just as crazy as they are but is on the side of justice.

I just think at his core Bruce is motivated by a selfish desire to fill a void left inside him from when his parents died and no amount of crime fighting will be enough to cure him of that and it becomes an obsession for him. I am not saying he isn't a great hero and sacrifices himself for others to try and help them, but I think the difference between him and Dick, or even Clark, is that Bruce does what he does because he has to as it is what keeps him going since his parents died and they do it because they want to help people as their main motivating factor.

You can enjoy serving the people not at the job, he does feel good when he's serving people, but he is always serious on the job. And this isn't an obsession for him, he said it himself and in some AU stories he does retire from crime fighting when there is no crime or passes down the mantle but the truth is there will always be crime. The only villain he ever created was Joker. Ra's, Freeze, Two-Face, Court of Owls, Black Glove etc. are not his creation and he's nothing like the villains he fights, and if he was crazy then the JL wouldn't have been working with him. At his core Batman is motivated by just one thing, that no one goes through what he did when his parents died, there's nothing selfish about that. You think Clark would've been Superman if he didn't have any powers? Dick would've been Nightwing if his parents were not dead? Without Bruce Dick probably would've been a murderer or Talon. Bruce doesn't do this to fill a void and he does want to help people, he works even when he's not Batman, he's trying to make Gotham a better place.

Avatar image for akshunyadav
#45 Edited by AkshunYadav (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Quintus_Knightfall , RustyRoy well said...whatever the reason he has, he does what a true hero does and at d end that's all that should matter......

Avatar image for quickfingers26
#46 Posted by Quickfingers26 (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahaha.... no. Seriously. No.

Selfless warrior. See Thor, Captain America, Superman and Wonderwoman for that.

Batman (while cool) is a paranoid neurotic who is controlled by his issues. And while he is capable of dishing out unbelievable levels of whupass to anyone with 24 hours of prep.... he is not worthy. Oh noes, Bat fans.... Bruce doesn't pass every test. Just between you and me, that makes him a better character for it.

Avatar image for munsu
#47 Edited by Munsu (166 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@munsu said:

You can enjoy serving the people not at the job, he does feel good when he's serving people, but he is always serious on the job. And this isn't an obsession for him, he said it himself and in some AU stories he does retire from crime fighting when there is no crime or passes down the mantle but the truth is there will always be crime. The only villain he ever created was Joker. Ra's, Freeze, Two-Face, Court of Owls, Black Glove etc. are not his creation and he's nothing like the villains he fights, and if he was crazy then the JL wouldn't have been working with him. At his core Batman is motivated by just one thing, that no one goes through what he did when his parents died, there's nothing selfish about that. You think Clark would've been Superman if he didn't have any powers? Dick would've been Nightwing if his parents were not dead? Without Bruce Dick probably would've been a murderer or Talon. Bruce doesn't do this to fill a void and he does want to help people, he works even when he's not Batman, he's trying to make Gotham a better place.

How is it not an obsession for him? Have you read Batman before? Pretty much all Batman stories end with Bruce alone still fighting crime after he has alienated and pushed everyone away he cares about. Since "the mission" is more important to him than anything and anyone. He isn't able to separate himself from it as it is what keeps him going. He isn't this noble Superman or Captain America type of hero. He isn't perfect and is a very messed up individual. I can't believe someone reads Batman and doesn't see how flawed he is even though he is a great hero as well. It's what makes him interesting.

And no way Dick would have been a murder. He is too well rounded a person since before Bruce ever took him in, but I don't think you quite understand something about characters like Dick. Yes, I think Dick could have still been a hero even if his parents were not dead. He enjoys helping people and is able to move on from his parents death unlike Bruce. So it isn't a motivating factor for him helping people as a hero. That is the difference between the two that I've been trying to get across for a while to you.

Avatar image for rustyroy
#48 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

@munsu said:

@rustyroy said:

@munsu said:

You can enjoy serving the people not at the job, he does feel good when he's serving people, but he is always serious on the job. And this isn't an obsession for him, he said it himself and in some AU stories he does retire from crime fighting when there is no crime or passes down the mantle but the truth is there will always be crime. The only villain he ever created was Joker. Ra's, Freeze, Two-Face, Court of Owls, Black Glove etc. are not his creation and he's nothing like the villains he fights, and if he was crazy then the JL wouldn't have been working with him. At his core Batman is motivated by just one thing, that no one goes through what he did when his parents died, there's nothing selfish about that. You think Clark would've been Superman if he didn't have any powers? Dick would've been Nightwing if his parents were not dead? Without Bruce Dick probably would've been a murderer or Talon. Bruce doesn't do this to fill a void and he does want to help people, he works even when he's not Batman, he's trying to make Gotham a better place.

How is it not an obsession for him? Have you read Batman before? Pretty much all Batman stories end with Bruce alone still fighting crime after he has alienated and pushed everyone away he cares about. Since "the mission" is more important to him than anything and anyone. He isn't able to separate himself from it as it is what keeps him going. He isn't this noble Superman or Captain America type of hero. He isn't perfect and is a very messed up individual. I can't believe someone reads Batman and doesn't see how flawed he is even though he is a great hero as well. It's what makes him interesting.

And no way Dick would have been a murder. He is too well rounded a person since before Bruce ever took him in, but I don't think you quite understand something about characters like Dick. Yes, I think Dick could have still been a hero even if his parents were not dead. He enjoys helping people and is able to move on from his parents death unlike Bruce. So it isn't a motivating factor for him helping people as a hero. That is the difference between the two that I've been trying to get across for a while to you.

This isn't called obsession, its called sacrifice, he is willing to put he's happyness behind for the sake of helping people, you said it yourself, the mission is more important to him than anything and the mission is helping others. He was given a chance to be with his parents but he rejected the offer, that's called sacrifice not obsession. Dick would've gone after Zucco to kill him, many stories show that, Bruce saved him from that, and if he wasn't a murderer then he would've been a talon. And Dick would've been in circus if he wasn't with Bruce so no he wouldn't have been a hero, and Bruce doesn't like to help people? That's the biggest bs I've heard anyone say. You are the one who doesn't understand Batman, getting over something is something different, a person who can't get over something can also help others, everyone has something feel bad for, that doesn't stop them from helping others, if Bruce's parents weren't dead then he wouldn't have stopped helping others.

Avatar image for phantom1527
#49 Posted by phantom1527 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

@anjales: Depends on the incarnation. New 52 no. Frank Miller DKR Batman is making mjonir his b*tch.

Avatar image for smashbrawler
#50 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why people always act like being worthy of lifting Mjolnir makes you one of the greatest characters in existence or whatever.

If one of the requirements for being worthy was having herpes would you try to argue that Batman has herpes as well?