• 106 results
#51 Posted by Hit_Monkey (1402 posts) - - Show Bio

@restitude: I did did enjoy Black Mirror, particularly. I don't think I've actually read RIP. I'll give it a shout though. Since you've cited it. I do love me some deductive reasoning.

#52 Edited by theodixon9 (578 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's detective skills do seem to fluctuate. It would be good to see a purely detective based story arc in the New 52 to show Batman does have these abilities.

#53 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

There was story where Batman fails to deduce the identity of the killer until the last moment, he suspects the son as the killer but it turns out that the father is the killer.

Avatar image for masterdetective
#54 Posted by MasterDetective (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

Please stop upping this topic

I realized that I was wrong, I haven't read that many Batman comics at the time

#55 Posted by THORSON (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

because "he is Batman". That's all batman fans can say because he has no good qualities to make him great...i think.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
#56 Posted by Pperspectiveandreality (2096 posts) - - Show Bio

Manapul and Buccaletto are acknowledging that he's a detective in their run.

#57 Posted by Breadspread (771 posts) - - Show Bio

@pperspectiveandreality: there was some tracking skills and crime scene analysis on display in the last issue of Detective.

#58 Posted by Endanger (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@hit_monkey said:

@jonny_anonymous: Agreed. I have always found Batman's detective skills don't quite live up to the hype. Unless he's playing the detective in a non-detective story.

Read Batman RIP or the Black Mirror, those stories, and most written by Grant Morrison and Scott Snyder in general, have insane detective feats for Batman and Dick Grayson.

So there's only 2 stories out of the hundreds of issues where he actually did some brilliant detective work?

#59 Edited by Endanger (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_poet said:

because the other canidates either: wiggle their noses, are chimps, or have been dead a for a century or so...

Also:

if this crossover doesn't persaude you...nothing will!

its "in a nutshell,..." btw

This issue was trash....no detective skills displayed whatsoever.

#60 Posted by Hit_Monkey (1402 posts) - - Show Bio

@endanger: To be fair, I have taken the time to read a lot more Batman books and I stand corrected. Excuse me.

#61 Edited by Riktoshi (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@endanger said:

@restitude said:

@hit_monkey said:

@jonny_anonymous: Agreed. I have always found Batman's detective skills don't quite live up to the hype. Unless he's playing the detective in a non-detective story.

Read Batman RIP or the Black Mirror, those stories, and most written by Grant Morrison and Scott Snyder in general, have insane detective feats for Batman and Dick Grayson.

So there's only 2 stories out of the hundreds of issues where he actually did some brilliant detective work?

Nice strawman, pretty sure he didn't say that. I think he was implying that they have some of their best feats. There's other stories especially in the New 52 that bring Batman back to his Detective Roots.

@hit_monkey:

Scott Snyder is someone who really emphasizes the detective aspect of Batman.

#62 Edited by Hit_Monkey (1402 posts) - - Show Bio

@riktoshi: Yeah, I have actually been reading through that on and off and he does do some really cool detective work . I'm gonna go have a look-see if there's a thread with all his more detectivie/most detectivie style issues.

#63 Posted by Endanger (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@endanger: To be fair, I have taken the time to read a lot more Batman books and I stand corrected. Excuse me.

I have read hundreds of Batman comics as well.....and the detective stuff he does in the his own comics are often very forgettable, or just so mundane that ANYONE could have done it.

As for the Court of Owls, he actually did Detective work. But that's also the flaw in the story. How is it possible that such a large organization stayed hidden from him for so many years? Without him knowing anything about it?

#64 Posted by Endanger (218 posts) - - Show Bio
@riktoshi said:

@endanger said:

@restitude said:

@hit_monkey said:

Nice strawman, pretty sure he didn't say that. I think he was implying that they have some of their best feats. There's other stories especially in the New 52 that bring Batman back to his Detective Roots.

@hit_monkey:

Scott Snyder is someone who really emphasizes the detective aspect of Batman.

Yeah that's the thing, because so far no one in this thread has been able to come up with more than just 1 or 2 stories of Batman doing some actual brilliant detective stuff.

Everyone says the Snyder story or Black Mirror, it's always the same answer. So what other stories are there?

If he's as brilliant as they say shouldn't there be HUNDREDS of stories featuring him doing some detective stuff? But so far no one can come up with anything.

#65 Posted by Joygirl (21036 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not. Riddler, written well, is considerably better.

#66 Edited by Hit_Monkey (1402 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: I loved the Edward Nigma - Consulting Detective stories back when he was temporarily sane. Wish they had kept him like that to be honest . You know they were going to do a mini with that in mind awhile back? - Riddles: Edward Nigma: Consulting Detective. The covers and series proposal seemed pretty cool as well. :(

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#67 Edited by Joygirl (21036 posts) - - Show Bio

@hit_monkey: He was one of my favorite parts about Gotham City Sirens, which is really saying a lot. Sane Eddie was amazing, seeing him make Dick look like a child was awesome.

#68 Posted by Hit_Monkey (1402 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: Hahaha yeah that was awesome. Eddie really did suit being a shady P.I.

#69 Edited by holyk (116 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks said:
No Caption Provided

He's clearly the greatest

Dude should be putting on his sunglass while saying this.

With regards to the question though, it's DCU and most other heroes prefer just punching things so not a ton of competition.

#70 Edited by The Poet (8646 posts) - - Show Bio

@endanger said:

@the_poet said:

because the other canidates either: wiggle their noses, are chimps, or have been dead a for a century or so...

Also:

its "in a nutshell,..." btw

This issue was trash....no detective skills displayed whatsoever.

well, I never said it was good...

as I remember I was referring to the image and the idea of the cross over NOT the actual crossover. People post images all the time to suport their claims whether the content was good or otherwise. I agree the issue is terrible, but the cover I think it is cool and creates a sort of endorcement of a sort...if the the word's greatest detective is seen being helped by another character (in this case batman) then batman must be a pretty good detective. Probably had I posted a fan made image nobody would remark on it. haha :P

#71 Posted by The Poet (8646 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: I loved the Edward Nigma - Consulting Detective stories back when he was temporarily sane. Wish they had kept him like that to be honest . You know they were going to do a mini with that in mind awhile back? - Riddles: Edward Nigma: Consulting Detective. The covers and series proposal seemed pretty cool as well. :(

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

that would have been amazing had it been made...

#72 Edited by Hit_Monkey (1402 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_poet: Yep. It's a real pain it never happened.

#73 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (5769 posts) - - Show Bio

Because that what he`s been called, for close to 74 years or so.

Sure, he makes very stupid mistakes at times. But that`s because...when you aim to notice the most tiniest of details (and succeed), make connections that seem impossible and use your memory to incredible limits, you are bound to miss something very obvious.

Plus, the writers and the universe in general have something to do with his bumblings and boners (thihihihihi), too.

Though, I don`t believe and/or think that he`s the greatest though, given that there`s so many equals and superiors to Batsy.

#74 Posted by patrat18 (11728 posts) - - Show Bio

He is.

#75 Edited by Kalel_Ryan (2 posts) - - Show Bio
#76 Posted by Black_Ore_Mage (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Stan the man said so.

#77 Posted by nickzambuto (29288 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman being a detective is far more fascinating to me than any other aspect of his skillset, especially when you factor in Gotham City and the rogues that populate it. Most modern Batman comics don't put much emphasis on that part of his character, they focus more on the martial arts, the will power, and the tech. It's a shame really, detective skills should be Batman's #1 skill IMHO.

#78 Edited by THORSON (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

its people like these...that make batman look more useless than she already is.

#79 Posted by THORSON (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

how can he be the world's greatest when he can't even find the thugs that killed his parents or even keep a small trashy town like gothem clean.

Green Lantern does a better job protecting the galaxy.

#81 Edited by batcat91 (331 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

how can he be the world's greatest when he can't even find the thugs that killed his parents or even keep a small trashy town like gothem clean.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

#82 Edited by mikesterman (1376 posts) - - Show Bio

@batcat91 said:

@thorson said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

issue?

#83 Posted by natvin (198 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is supposed to be a guy who makes people THINK he's this or that....to make himself seem MORE than what he really is. I guess it applies to the detective portion too.

#84 Posted by THORSON (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

@batcat91 said:

@thorson said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

congratulations.

#85 Posted by batcat91 (331 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson: Thank you! ;)

@mikesterman: #673 Joe Chill in Hell. It's part of the Black Glove storyline by Grant Morrison.

Avatar image for patrickborkland
#86 Posted by patrickborkland (325 posts) - - Show Bio

@batcat91 said:

@thorson said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

BOOM

#87 Edited by batcat91 (331 posts) - - Show Bio
#88 Posted by nauti55 (7 posts) - - Show Bio
#89 Posted by KDub_inc_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterdetective: its canon that he is one of the three smartest people in the DCU. I just woke up or I'd post some super detective scans lol. I think the two others are Lex and idk haha.there's plenty of examples out there they're worth finding too

#90 Posted by KDub_inc_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy: this. The one guy with no powers besides his determination morals and intelligence is always "too powerful" according to non fans. Too much hate for Bruce these days.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#91 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Bobo T. Chimpanzee its better.

#92 Posted by Alexander505 (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Conan Edogawa/Shinichi Kudo is better than Batman.

#93 Edited by Ralx225b (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@kdub_inc_: They say that because he is basically GOOD AT EVERYTHING! YOU CAN'T BE GOOD AT EVERYTHING AND BE HUMAN! You can't basically MASTER every language out there, MASTER over 120 martial arts, obtain 12 MASTER'S DEGREES, MASTER GYMNASTICS ABOVE OLYMPIC LEVEL, MASTER SPRINTING ABOVE OLYMPIC LEVEL, MASTER LONG DISTANCE ABOVE OLYMPIC LEVEL, MASTER DANCING ABOVE WORLD COMPETITION LEVEL, BE A GENIUS INVENTOR AHEAD OF MILITARY TECHNOLOGY, WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE, WORLD'S GREATEST TACTICIAN BEYOND DIVISION COMMANDERS WITH DECADES OF EXPERIENCE, ONE OF THE WORLD'S LEADING BIOCHEMISTS, ...SERIOUSLY? YOU CALL THIS GUY HUMAN? HE ACHIEVED ALL THIS IN 25 years? Oh yeah I forgot, fun fact Batman can even sing professionally! If he released an album he would just add some more millions to his fortune!

This is why people have issues with him. Batman wasn't always written like this, and I loved him when he wasn't the best at everything. But when they made the Justice League and more League stories came out he started to get written as the best at everything. I can't stand behind a character who is literally the Superman version of a human but claims he is human! It is sad because Batman has one of the most interesting worlds, villians, storylines, ever made! Truly a shame indeed, but I liked my Batman the Animated Series Batman. He wasn't perfect but he got the job done!

#94 Posted by KDub_inc_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@ralx225b: I agree for alot of reasons but I got into batman not because he was best at everything. I connected with a lot of aspects of the character that don't include those things. My whole life was hell but no matter how many times I was broken I wouldn't give up.I had nothing but my mind and try every day to make the beat of it.

That's why I love batman. A lot of people can't relate but there's no reason to hate on a fictional character cuz he is good at stuff.

People who have photographic memory are human. It is taken way too far but these are comics after all. Artistic privileges are taking to make the character more amazing to interest readers .would you read a comic book about Stephen hawking? Just enjoy the character for what he is.entertainment and art.its cool if you don't dig it but too much hate is why I was aggravated is all.didn't want to start an argument

#95 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@ralx225b: I agree for alot of reasons but I got into batman not because he was best at everything. I connected with a lot of aspects of the character that don't include those things. My whole life was hell but no matter how many times I was broken I wouldn't give up.I had nothing but my mind and try every day to make the beat of it.

That's why I love batman. A lot of people can't relate but there's no reason to hate on a fictional character cuz he is good at stuff.

People who have photographic memory are human. It is taken way too far but these are comics after all. Artistic privileges are taking to make the character more amazing to interest readers .would you read a comic book about Stephen hawking? Just enjoy the character for what he is.entertainment and art.its cool if you don't dig it but too much hate is why I was aggravated is all.didn't want to start an argument

The problems its that is a myth, if Batman being the best at everything this would mean Batman would had be that way always, there is a point where characters get unrelatable by this "being the best at everything" or being overpowered.

Suspension of Disbelief its to set the plot, the internal logic, how thing work, Batman being so good betrays the internal logic and goes against he stands as a character, just for the sake of fan boys not to get angry.

#96 Posted by KDub_inc_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: I agree. That's what I was saying not trying to argue with you. I hate when people who haven't been fans for a long time act like that is what the character is all about. He's so much more and I really hate when writers fall back on the "batman always wins bs" I like to see him fail it makes him more relatable and human. But theirs a new generation of supposed fans that whine when he isn't portrayed as godlike and all knowing.

Every time I run into you I know it will be an intelligent conversation lol

Unlike others who argue for the sake of arguing

#97 Posted by jayc1324 (26419 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman #36 shows that batman isn't perfect and can still be fooled.

#98 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: I agree. That's what I was saying not trying to argue with you. I hate when people who haven't been fans for a long time act like that is what the character is all about. He's so much more and I really hate when writers fall back on the "batman always wins bs" I like to see him fail it makes him more relatable and human. But theirs a new generation of supposed fans that whine when he isn't portrayed as godlike and all knowing.

Every time I run into you I know it will be an intelligent conversation lol

Unlike others who argue for the sake of arguing

I think i know who you are talking about, but i hope he doesnt, because it would start a flame war.

Also its sad to see a generation of kids, that will never enjoy the older comics because cant deal with Batman essence.

#99 Edited by KDub_inc_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: I know there is so much more tpcbruce Wayne and what batman stood for back then that so many will never care enough to Learn about.

#100 Posted by Ralx225b (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@kdub_inc_: Yes the Batman I fell in love with was the one from the Animated Series. He was relatable, flawed, not even the best at everything and just so cool. I still love that version of Batman, I just hate what they have made him. There is not a single human in all of DC at this point who even compares to Batman. Characters like Richard Dragon and Shiva are martial artists to the highest degree but just like they have dedicated their life to mastery of the mind, body, and spirit there would be no way for them to learn all the things Batman has learned. I mean to be a master is not a destination but a journey. So if Batman spent his time mastering all these other things there would be no way for him to continue to be on the same level as a Richard Dragon or a Shiva. But they portray able to juggle all these abilities like he is a mutant or something. So for me Bats is best when he is human, flawed, vulnerable, but overcomes all this to win. Because just like we are flawed he can inspire us to reach for greater heights. That inspiration becomes absent when he wins because "I'm Batman."