• 88 results
Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman has a great set of villains. We've seen him fight pretty much everyone. He's known as always being prepared to take on any situation. Does that include fighting giant kaiju/Godzilla-like creatures?

DC has exclusively told us about the upcoming six-part Night of the Monster Men arc beginning in September and running through three titles. Steve Orlando is basically the showrunner for the story, working with the other writers. Riley Rossmo is handling the art designs and drawing a couple of the issues. We spoke to Steve about what we can expect. (You can read our interview with Riley here).

Comic Vine: What can you tell us about Night of the Monster Men?

Batman #7
Batman #7

Steve Orlando: It's probably going to be one of the maddest and wildest Batman stories in a long time. People who have read my issues of Batman and Robin Eternal or Midnighter, which is hopefully everybody, know I like a certain brand of high octane, action movie type stories. When Mark [Doyle], Tim [Seeley], Tom [King], and James [Tynion IV] reached out to me about finding something to bring the books together, Monster Men sort of jumped into my head starting with these base images of the Bat-Family fighting something that is just bigger than anything they've ever fought before.

In the case of the Monster Men, I mean literally bigger. How does Batman, a man who has a plan for everything, deal with catastrophic Toho-style attacks on Gotham City? Along with that, I was especially excited to work with the Monster Men from a nerd standpoint because they showed up in Batman #1 1940). They were in one of the three stories, and I think they're a historic group of characters. They haven't really appeared too much since then. There was a great mini-series by Matt Wagner, but in general, they haven't shown up that much for characters that have been with Batman for over six decades.

For Night of the Monster Men, since we relaunched Batman #1, it felt right to get in the ring with them again. This time we're going to do something even wilder and crazier with them than has ever been done before. This will be Monster Men unlike any you've ever seen. It'll be sort of Kaiju horror that touches Gotham City in a way you've never seen before. In light of Rebirth, we have all the fun tech and games in Detective Comics, Nightwing, and the no-holds barred take Tom is doing on Batman, this is cool Batman. New technology—you'll see him do things in Monster Men he's never done before. I couldn't be more excited about that.

What titles will this crossover into? Will there be a self contained intro book and ending?

The cool thing about Monster Men is we'll be pushing all the stories forward. All the threads you're reading in Nightwing, Detective Comics, and Batman—everything Batman is dealing with with Gotham and Gotham Girl (two new heroes) will play directly into Monster Men. You'll see the sort of rift or tension between the different ways Batman and Nightwing do things is central to Monster Men and that comes out in Nightwing. Also, the idea that Batman has trusted Batwoman, and he knows there's something she can do better than he can in the pages of Detective. There's the idea that when something is too big for Bruce Wayne, the Bat-Family is now more than just one guy. That's the idea that kicks off in Detective. To move forward, we need to train the next generation and find a way to do what we do, better.

One of the things I've always found interesting about Batman is the intense bravery and futility in the character. That's not to say that Batman is futile. He's only human. Every time Batman saves someone from a mugging in Gotham City, odds are someone is getting mugged somewhere else. That's the sad and truth about Batman, but it also makes him incredibly inspiring. He never stops. That's also the reason Batman is looking for new ways to be in more places at once. When you have a threat of this scale, when you have the Monster Men coming to Gotham City, there's no better time to put that on display to see if it works or doesn't work.

Nightwing #5
Nightwing #5

Will there be any bookend issues or will it just begin in one of the existing titles?

As someone who grew up reading Age of Apocalypse, I'm all for big bookend books and things like that. However, this is all about getting in and getting out and doing things in a wonderful and compact way. We want to give people an epic right in time for Halloween that doesn't require more work than they're already doing. If you're picking up these titles, you'll have everything you need starting in Batman and going through Nightwing and Detective Comics.

Will the issues be sequential parts of the story or happen side by side separately?

The reading order will be sequential. It'll be Batman, Nightwing, Detective in September followed by Batman, Nightwing, and Detective in October. Hopefully you're picking them all up, but if you just pick up Nightwing or you miss one, we'll get you up to speed in the next book.

Will there be any characters from outside the related titles?

Well, I can say there will be a lot of Bat-Family characters in it. Working with Riley, the minute I sort of pitched him what these monsters were going to look like…when you work with Riley, it's not necessarily telling him what they'll look like, it's more like an email exchange of grotesquery we found in the animal kingdom. We talked about how we would put these into the designs. I knew immediately we were going to have to get him to draw as much cool stuff as possible.

We want to make [the book] as welcoming as we can for everyone following those titles. Everyone will see this is basically like a summer crossover in six issues. We'll have the characters from all the books, not just the lead characters. You'll see the GCPD involved, and you'll also have five new monsters that are truly brand new. They have fresh and exciting new designs that really are unlike anything you've seen Batman go up against before. I will say it is Night of the Monster Men. This story, much like many disaster stories, takes place over one night. We will be focusing on the cast of those main books and anyone else that could conceivably get there in time to help before the city is rubble.

How closely will you be working with the writers of the other titles? Are you just laying out the groundwork or working with them issue by issue?

I'm in constant contact with all those guys. As it's been said, this is something I'm sort of showrunning. I'm plotting and scripting so there's cohesion within the books. Similarly, Riley's the lead artist, but I've seen pages from Andy MacDonald and Roge Antonio who are doing the Nightwing and Detective issues. Everyone is putting in their most amazing work I've ever seen from them.

But with me being the showrunner, that doesn't mean I'm not talking to the others. I talk to Tom, Tim, and James almost everyday when I'm working on these scripts to make sure we're pushing forward the things they need. That's why they're co-plotting their issues with me. I'm working heavily with them, and we also check in with Scott [Snyder] to make sure everyone is sounding right and everything is ringing true. I check in with them pretty frequently. For better or for worse, when you work in comics, you're basically sitting in your office pestering each other all the time because you don't go outside when it's sunny.

Detective Comics #941
Detective Comics #941

You mentioned the Monster Men haven't really been used a lot. If we're going to have these giant monsters, how would you say this compares to past Batman crossovers?

There's been a lot of Batman crossovers. To me, Night of the Monster Men, especially when it's coming out, it's big and grandiose, but it's fun. Going back to 1989, it's like, "Where does he get those wonderful toys?" It's 2016. We have to give Batman even more wonderful toys. I think we haven't seen a story like this in a while in Gotham City or since Rebirth. We also haven't mashed up the genre of Batman with these Godzilla or Toho styles of element. It's like when you had Ultraman or Mecha Godzilla. There's a sense of fun to it. It's giant monsters, and it's lovably insane. At the same time, you have a guy with a plan for everything. I'm really excited about it because I think crossovers aren't foreign to the Batman Universe, but these massive and out of this world things are. It'll be cool to see Batman here. What makes Batman Batman remains the same. It almost doesn't matter if he's fighting a mugger or going up against a 30-story behemoth. There's definitely real danger in the book. There's real danger in the DC Universe, but it's all about meeting it with a sense of no-holds-barred.

How's it feel taking on this first Batman Rebirth crossover?

I'm nervous. There's a lot on my mind, but honestly, it's an honor to be doing it. I'm a huge comics history nerd. The offer to do this was something I just couldn't ignore. We're not just relaunching Batman with a new number one. We're also getting to go back to the Monster Men. Like I said, it's something that deserves to be a pillar with how early they showed up in Batman's history. That couldn't get any better for me.

Anything else you want to add?

I pitched Riley some of the craziest things I ever put into a book. I can't underscore how amazing he's been with all the designs he's doing for this. Whether it's the Monster Men themselves, Batman's technology, sometimes I'd be like, "Oh man, this idea is too weird." He'd make it cooler than you could ever imagine. I just can't wait for people to see what he's doing along with what Roge and Andy are doing on the book. There is Batman action and Batman armors you never thought of before. I can't wait for everybody to see it on the page. It's going to be really, really fun.

Night of the Monster Men begins on September 21 in Batman #7. You can read our interview with Riley Rossmo and see concept art here.

#1 Posted by Vitalius (5172 posts) - - Show Bio

Isnt too soon for a crossover? even with two comics per month, the comics will only have 4 issues and Rebirth especial until the crossover.

#2 Posted by iaconpoint (1491 posts) - - Show Bio

I was excited until I saw the word "crossover". Aaaaand then I was out. One crossover leads to another then you have a book that is unreadable like New 52 Supergirl.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#3 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds pretty cool. I love Hugo Strange and the Monster Men.

#4 Edited by Mrfuzzynutz (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

ugh...wish this was a stand alone story

#5 Posted by Kid_jakeriv (410 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I doubt it's going to be bad with all the great minds working on it, but I don't want a crossover

#6 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

They had me at "Batman and his allies are fighting giant kaiju in Gotham City!". I love these small, focused crossovers that DC perfected during the new52 (Night of Owls). I am looking forward to this new take on a classical Batman story.

#7 Posted by entropy_aegis (20769 posts) - - Show Bio

No thanks, love the creators but there is no lead up to this story at all, it just came out of nowhere. I find it hard to believe that King, Seeley and Tynion have been leading their books in to an eventual event involving Kaiju Men. I'm getting worried that the bi-weekly schedule has finally caught up, easy pass.

#8 Edited by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

"There is Batman action and Batman armors you never thought of before." Sounds better and better.

I wonder if Harper Row will be involved in the creation of any of these since she will be appearing in Detective Comics.

Great to see fresh takes on classic stories.

#9 Posted by casper4690 (704 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a hella lot of fun . However , Crossover rather than its separate story is rather annoying .Hopefully it'll be worth it though. Cant wait to read it

#10 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

speaking of Haprer Row appearing in Detective Comics, is that her visiting Gotham Academy also?

No Caption Provided

good to see creators putting Snyder's creations to good use

#11 Posted by Black_Arrow (10238 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn you DC, this was one of my fears when you made the biweekly comics.

#12 Edited by entropy_aegis (20769 posts) - - Show Bio

Even the placement seems weird, with a biweekly schedule they could have easily told the story in September to make it look less abrupt, instead they're choosing to tell it between the end of September and the mid of October, at that point the second arc of all the books will be in to their first issue. Just reeks of interrupting your regular session for this just now announced filler. Even the details are so hush hush(what's the point of being so secretive if it's going to last a month?), all the talk is about armors and giant monsters and all the Batfamily characters they can throw but nothing about the actual story, confirming the forgettable popcorn flick nature of this story. Tynion just gave an interview yesterday saying that the second arc of his book would be Steph centric and the third will be Cass centric involving Shiva, King too gave an interview and there was no mention of kaiju men. Are we sure Berganza isn't running the Batman office?

#14 Posted by apokos7 (749 posts) - - Show Bio

So the story will play out in those three titles with the regular writers (based on the interview artists seem to change) but Steve Orlando will plot the whole thing?

I'm not a big fan of crossovers. It's nice when titles reflect each other or even when a story is said in the main book (like Court of Owls in Batman or Wrath of the First Lantern in Green Lantern) and it bleeds out to other titles, but I believe a crossover creates inconsistencies to the story. I might check this out but I'd like it better if this was a seperate mini-series.

#15 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

Even the details are so hush hush(what's the point of being so secretive if it's going to last a month?),...

You have to understand the way comics solicitations work. In pretty much any interview you see, creators can only fully talk about what's happening within the next three months. DC's solicits, which will contain these issues, come out next week. DC gave us the exclusive to announce it. That means any creator involved wasn't supposed to discuss or hint before it becomes official. It's likely some creators even know what's going to happen next January but can't talk about it yet. So there's no conspiracy in why it was "secretive."

#16 Posted by lagozzino (555 posts) - - Show Bio

Will the issues be sequential parts of the story or happen side by side separately?

The reading order will be sequential.

No Caption Provided

#17 Posted by entropy_aegis (20769 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Even the details are so hush hush(what's the point of being so secretive if it's going to last a month?),...

You have to understand the way comics solicitations work. In pretty much any interview you see, creators can only fully talk about what's happening within the next three months. DC's solicits, which will contain these issues, come out next week. DC gave us the exclusive to announce it. That means any creator involved wasn't supposed to discuss or hint before it becomes official. It's likely some creators even know what's going to happen next January but can't talk about it yet. So there's no conspiracy in why it was "secretive."

The January example doesn't work though, this is afterall a taste of what to expect from the solicits which will be out 3 days from now, they're clearly trying to build momentum and excitement. I just want the creators to give me a reason to invest in those titles that month beyond "monsters vs mech huzzah". This doesn't even bear a passing resemblance to the previous Monster Men stories.Crossovers when your books have reached your 6th issue on a biweekly schedule dont exactly reek of confidence to me.

#18 Posted by entropy_aegis (20769 posts) - - Show Bio

@apokos7 said:

So the story will play out in those three titles with the regular writers (based on the interview artists seem to change) but Steve Orlando will plot the whole thing?

I'm not a big fan of crossovers. It's nice when titles reflect each other or even when a story is said in the main book (like Court of Owls in Batman or Wrath of the First Lantern in Green Lantern) and it bleeds out to other titles, but I believe a crossover creates inconsistencies to the story. I might check this out but I'd like it better if this was a seperate mini-series.

Bingo.

#19 Posted by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

Well this just killed a ton of the goodwill Rebirth had built up.

#20 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

@dankhan6: How? by telling a potentially good story? I refuse to believe that anybody is being forced to buy series that they normally don't since it is contained in only three ongoings. Im guessing most people who are reading Batman are also picking up Detective and most likely Nightwing anyway. these very limited events like Night of the Owls are actually much less offensive than the huge Marvel events.

#21 Posted by entropy_aegis (20769 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

@dankhan6: How? by telling a potentially good story? I refuse to believe that anybody is being forced to buy series that they normally don't since it is contained in only three ongoings. Im guessing most people who are reading Batman are also picking up Detective and most likely Nightwing anyway. these very limited events like Night of the Owls are actually much less offensive than the huge Marvel events.

Every story is potentially good when it's announced. Besides there is a time and place for everything, this is neither the time nor the place for a crossover. The one positive thing I will say is that unlike the Snyder driven crossovers these do look like they'll be enjoyable for those reading primarily for Nightwing, Batwoman etc. The New-52 crossovers were a bloody waste of time unless you were reading Batman.

#22 Edited by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

Crossovers in the N52 killed Nightwing, Batgirl, Supergirl etc.

It's not about spending more money, it's about breaking up the flow of books after 4 goddamn issues, with the promise of doing it again every few months.

#23 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

@dankhan6 said:
@jsphsmth said:

It's not about spending more money, it's about breaking up the flow of books after 4 goddamn issues, with the promise of doing it again every few months.

I cannot speak for Supergirl as I did not read anything in the Superman group but crossovers did not hurt Nightwing or Batgirl.

Small crossovers like this have been part of the Batman group since the early 90s and they have usually worked quite well. Contagion, Legacy, No Mans Land, Night of the Owls were great because a larger group was needed to handle a larger problem and each character/series tackled the issue from their own POV. (I am not going to say any of the Morronison forced crossover were that good since he primarily wrote to stroke his own ego and did not play well with other creators.)

#24 Edited by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:
@dankhan6 said:
@jsphsmth said:

I cannot speak for Supergirl as I did not read anything in the Superman group but crossovers did not hurt Nightwing or Batgirl.

Small crossovers like this have been part of the Batman group since the early 90s and they have usually worked quite well. Contagion, Legacy, No Mans Land, Night of the Owls were great because a larger group was needed to handle a larger problem and each character/series tackled the issue from their own POV. (I am not going to say any of the Morronison forced crossover were that good since he primarily wrote to stroke his own ego and did not play well with other creators.)

Higgen's literally said in interviews that editorial demands and crossovers forced him to change his plans for the book.

The fact you enjoyed it doesn't mean it didn't ruin the planned narrative of the story, for side stories that were irrelevant to the plot of the main Batman arc.

#25 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

@dankhan6: Did you notice? I did not.

The only stain on Nightwing was the DeFalco two issue story where Shiva became a joke.

#26 Edited by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

@dankhan6: Did you notice? I did not.

The only stain on Nightwing was the DeFalco two issue story where Shiva became a joke.

Those issues were a direct result of crossovers. Higgens had to go off them because editorial was demanding he make death of the family a huge deal.

And yeah I did notice how death of the family destroyed all ongoing plot threads to the point they had to mini reboot him by sending him to Chicago. Amusement mile, Sonia Zucco and the follow up to the Saiko story were all abruptly cut off because of it.

#27 Edited by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

A crossover? Already? God dammit DC. Guess I'm skipping Nightwing and DC for a bit when this starts until its over.

#28 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio
@jsphsmth said:

speaking of Haprer Row appearing in Detective Comics, is that her visiting Gotham Academy also?

No Caption Provided

good to see creators putting Snyder's creations to good use

where'd you find this?

#29 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

@theexile285: it is from the Gotham Academy Second Semester September solicit which was revealed today on a different comic site

#30 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

@dankhan6:sending him to Chicago was the only way to save the series, Nightwing in Gotham makes him Batman-lite.

#31 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth: Oh ok. Found it on Newsarama. Thanks.

#32 Posted by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

@dankhan6:sending him to Chicago was the only way to save the series, Nightwing in Gotham makes him Batman-lite.

Only because of the crossovers, which loops us back to the entire point. Nightwing in Gotham with his own plots would've been fine. Nightwing in Gotham with side stories of Batman plots makes him Batman-lite.

#33 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth: Are we reading a different interview?

"That's part of it. I mean, that's why I wanted him in Gotham, since Day One. I wanted him in this city, and I wanted him in the same place as Bruce, as Batman.

To me, it just says that much more about the character if he's here and he doesn't care what Bruce thinks. He's not concerned with this "shadow" thing. He's comfortable with who he is.

People can talk about that all they want, whether it be readers or in this case, opponents. But it's not really phasing him. That's not even entering into his thought process."

#35 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

@dankhan6: nope same interview, just not taken out of context

#36 Posted by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

@dankhan6: nope same interview, just not taken out of context

Lol posting three full paragraphs is out of context. How about you're actually post the quote where you're getting this from rather than shit talking son.

#37 Posted by iaconpoint (1491 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope DC sees the response to crossovers is overwhelmingly negative and axes them.

#38 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

I finally quit Marvel because of all their huge forced crossovers that invaded every series. I am so glad DC manages these smaller organic crossovers that work out so much better.

I am looking forward to reading what Orlando is crafting. Hopefully fans wont be turned off by all the typical negative crossover propaganda. (Would anybody be complaining if this series took up six issue of Batman or had its own mini-series? no)

Given his success on Midnighter, he deserves the opportunity to write a story like this.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
#39 Posted by HandOfPrometheus (878 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate crossovers with a passion. But if the first few issues we are reading lead up to it then I'm not gonna dismiss it. Plus this is a small contained crossover.

#40 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

My only hope is that this event can be as enjoyable as the final issues of Marvel’s Godzilla where he fought the Avengers and Fantastic Four.

Realistically though, can anything compare to Thor and Godzilla playing reverse tug-of-war with the Empire State Building?

#41 Edited by JTMac005 (950 posts) - - Show Bio

I pull these 3 series anyway, so I'm not necessarily mad about the crossover. But it does seem a bit early on into "rebirth" to be starting crossovers.

When a superman crossover happens though, I get annoyed. I don't want to have to get supergirl, superwoman, super sons AND new super-man just to be able to know what's happening in action comics/superman...

#42 Posted by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

While I understand everyone's frustrations at least we have to admit this is an improvement to the way DC did crossovers. At least now the crossover isn't intrusive, rather than plain filler. Easily skip-able and better for the creator's vision.

Clearly done so the bi-weekly schedule can be kept. And considering the strain it puts on creators, I say that as long as it is not intrusive and it doesn't mess with the stories the creators tell, I am okay with it.

I can just drop the issues :D

#43 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

The crossover may seem early, but it is three months away and we are talking about series that ship bi-weekly. Is six issues not enough to establish a status quo for each series?

#44 Posted by entropy_aegis (20769 posts) - - Show Bio

The more I think about this the more angry I get, crossover is annoying by itself but they're not even trying to be different or original. What separates this from Night of the Owls, Robin War, final few issues of Batman and Robin Eternal and Batman #50? that's what I'd like to know.

While I understand everyone's frustrations at least we have to admit this is an improvement to the way DC did crossovers. At least now the crossover isn't intrusive, rather than plain filler. Easily skip-able and better for the creator's vision.

Clearly done so the bi-weekly schedule can be kept. And considering the strain it puts on creators, I say that as long as it is not intrusive and it doesn't mess with the stories the creators tell, I am okay with it.

Pretty much, this is the sort of crossover which you can easily skip.

#45 Posted by jsphsmth (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny how the some of the Viners complaining have no DC (or the series affected by this crossover) listed on their Pulls.

I do read them and I am looking forward to another small crossover event. we were spoiled by how amazing Snyder's events were but I have faith in Orlando.

#46 Edited by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

The more I think about this the more angry I get, crossover is annoying by itself but they're not even trying to be different or original. What separates this from Night of the Owls, Robin War, final few issues of Batman and Robin Eternal and Batman #50? that's what I'd like to know.

Just that these will be totally disposable with no ramifications....thankfully. Which for a modern crossover, that's the greatest compliment imo :P

The alternative is Marvel's way of crossovers *dread*

If Batman gets a crossover, Superman won't be far behind...I hope that is a time waster too. I would hate for it to intrude in the main storyline.

@squalleon said:

Pretty much, this is the sort of crossover which you can easily skip.

You skip it, you literally not miss anything and everyone wins. Those who want a extra dose get the filler, those who don't want just skip it and continue like nothing happened, DC gets a quick back and the creators a break and some lead time to keep up the quality.

#47 Posted by entropy_aegis (20769 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: Yup and yup, more power to those who want to read the same story over and over again across multiple titles but DC really is giving incentives to a skip imo. In case of Snyder's crossovers characters with in the story itself pretended as if nothing happedned the very next issue LOL.

#48 Posted by SynCig (1105 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand the hesitance from people about crossovers. They definitely had a negative impact on some of the satellite books (Nightwing for instance) during the New 52 but I can't help but get excited for this. The creators involved are great and the concept sounds like a lot of fun. Sign me up!

#49 Posted by Lvenger (36335 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman vs Godzilla threads confirmed for the battle boards with this crossover event.

#50 Posted by entropy_aegis (20769 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Batman vs Godzilla threads confirmed for the battle boards with this crossover event.

I can already see Bathaters whining.