Does Batman find the Joker funny?

I'm willing to bet that Batman secretly laughs at a lot of the Joker's jokes. But this is the only time I know where Batman has actually laughed at one of them. What do you think?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Hes not big on laughter

No

NO!

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

No. the Killing Joke was just Batman relapsing briefly into madness.

Well since most of the Joker's joke involve mass death so i dought Batman finds Joker funny and in the Killing Joke Batman really isnt laughing becuase what Joker said was funny his laughter repersents the breaking down of Batman's last barrier it ending with Batman killing the Joker

No, not usually.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Bats lost it sometimes.. After all, he's been fighting the same villain for like 50 years.

Idk what was going on there at the end of the Killing joke. I use to have a big problem with that ending. After all the Joker does that night Batman decides to share a laugh with him like a pal? Doesn't sit quite right. Now there definitely is something else going on there. Something beneath the surface of the panels. It's Alan Moore, that's the only way he does things. I don't know if he quite hit the nail on the head with this one though. Hmmm. The Killing Joke....

It was just a moment.

Idk what was going on there at the end of the Killing joke. I use to have a big problem with that ending. After all the Joker does that night Batman decides to share a laugh with him like a pal? Doesn't sit quite right. Now there definitely is something else going on there. Something beneath the surface of the panels. It's Alan Moore, that's the only way he does things. I don't know if he quite hit the nail on the head with this one though. Hmmm. The Killing Joke....

Please don't tell me you're one of those who thinks that Batman was strangling him in the last panel... :s

Back to the OT. No, he doesn't, he despises him. That story is very particular because it explores the dangers that Batman's psyche is exposed to fighting such a cunning madman.

He's been fighting the Joker for a LONG time. Stands to reason in all that time the Joker has told at least one joke that got a laugh out of Batman. Not that that's a pleasant experience, as Harley Quinn found out...

Loading Video...

Nope.

I think he appreciates the sick irony of their relationship

No, but I do.

No.

At first I thought so.

are we talking about all the batman? like dick?

because terry migginis has

Well since most of the Joker's joke involve mass death so i dought Batman finds Joker funny and in the Killing Joke Batman really isnt laughing becuase what Joker said was funny his laughter repersents the breaking down of Batman's last barrier it ending with Batman killing the Joker

Joker didn't die lol, actually he's still alive.

@bigcimmerian: look at the last planels again what do you see Joker's laughter than nothing and its never stated what happens next people assume Batman just takes Joker to arkham

@bigcimmerian: look at the last planels again what do you see Joker's laughter than nothing and its never stated what happens next people assume Batman just takes Joker to arkham

Yes he takes him back to Arkham. This story is canon, Barbara was crippled all these years. She gained ability to walk in New 52.

What? Killing Joke is and always has been canon. At no point did Batman kill the Joker, you even see the police lights heading towards them and see the sound for the sirens. People say he took Joker back to Arkham because that's where he went.

I love The Killing Joke and I love the ending too.

I think it fits perfectly with the story.

@lordofthenorth said:

Yes he takes him back to Arkham. This story is canon, Barbara was crippled all these years. She gained ability to walk in New 52.

It wasn't originally intended as canon though. It became canon after it's success.

@silverpool: Exactly Alan Moore left the ending ambiguous so people wouldnt freak out seeing Batman killing the Joker and since it was popular and it gave them future story potential of course DC made it canon

He actually do. The last panel is the same as the first. So the ending is when Batman questioning Joker and the beginning is when Joker is at the circus. It is never explained who the joker got out of Arkham or who he is hidden. It could also be a circular reading. At least that is one of several readings another being Batman killing the Joker. the story is ambiguous and that is the strength.

@tupiaz said:

@lordofthenorth said:

He actually do. The last panel is the same as the first. So the ending is when Batman questioning Joker and the beginning is when Joker is at the circus. It is never explained who the joker got out of Arkham or who he is hidden. It could also be a circular reading. At least that is one of several readings another being Batman killing the Joker. the story is ambiguous and that is the strength.

But Joker survived lol.

@tupiaz said:

@lordofthenorth said:

But Joker survived lol.

Huh? In one reading he does in another he doesn't.

@tupiaz said:

@bigcimmerian said:

@tupiaz said:

@lordofthenorth said:

But Joker survived lol.

Huh? In one reading he does in another he doesn't.

What are you talking about lol? Have you read any comic book after The Killing Joke? Joker appears in many of them.

@bigcimmerian: The story was never meant to be conan but Moore left the ending ambiguous so that no one would flipout that Batman killed the Joker

@bigcimmerian: The story was never meant to be conan but Moore left the ending ambiguous so that no one would flipout that Batman killed the Joker

But it became canon. So Joker didn't die. Sorry about that :D

@lordofthenorth said:

You care to much for continuity and to little about the story.

@tupiaz said:

@bigcimmerian said:

@lordofthenorth said:

You care to much for continuity and to little about the story.

I care about continuity yeah, but I care about story too :)

I don't think so lol. In the Killing Joke I think that there was a specific reason why Batman laughed but I can't remember what it was

@bigcimmerian said:

@lordofthenorth said:

Joker didn't die lol, actually he's still alive.

Yeah. Even if Batman did kill Joker, he probably would've come back anyways. Joker has cheated death so many times. He's like Baron Samedi from that one James Bond movie. If you kill him he just comes back!

Not at all.

Homicidal maniacs don't draw many laughs

yes he thinks he's really funny when he kills people

@tupiaz: He's not dead... in the actual transcripts for the comic, it's states that BATMAN IS RESTING HIS ARM ON JOKER'S SHOULDER AS HE'S LAUGH SOO HARD HE'S HAVING A HARD TIME STANDING UP!

Official script: http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/9/1/7/233917_v1.jpg

No only in the killing joke. And joker died in that story. It was never meant to be canon, and after zero year only the part where Barbara is shot is canon since jokers origin has changed. You know joker died because of how the laughter just suddenly stopped.

I'm willing to bet that Batman secretly laughs at a lot of the Joker's jokes. But this is the only time I know where Batman has actually laughed at one of them. What do you think?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Alan Moore wanted to have Batman kill Joker at the end of the comic, but DC said no, so he changed the ending to this. Batman doesn't laugh at Joker's jokes. There's no one Batman hates more than Joker.

@tupiaz: He's not dead... in the actual transcripts for the comic, it's states that BATMAN IS RESTING HIS ARM ON JOKER'S SHOULDER AS HE'S LAUGH SOO HARD HE'S HAVING A HARD TIME STANDING UP!

Official script: http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/9/1/7/233917_v1.jpg

Really doesn't matter for the reading. It could also be a way for Moore to go under the Radar from DC editorials.

No.

I think he might, but he keeps it to himself.