Ben Affleck’s Batman script is a mess

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

The Ringer published a big piece today titled “Movies Aren’t Dead, but They’ll Never Be the Same” about the state of the movie industry, and one of the people they spoke to was Bret Easton Ellis. Ellis is best known as the author of the book “American Pyscho” (Christian Bale stared in the movie), and apparently he has some big Hollywood friends.

“I was having dinner with a couple of executives who know other executives who are working on the [forthcoming] Batman movie, The Batman,” Ellis told The Ringer.

“And they were just telling me that there are serious problems with the script. And that the executives I was having dinner with were complaining about people who work on the Batman movie. And they just said they went to the studio and they said, ‘Look, the script is … Here’s 30 things that are wrong with it that we can fix.’ And [the executives] said, ‘We don’t care. We don’t really care. The amount of money we’re going to make globally, I mean 70 percent of our audience is not going to be seeing this in English. And it doesn’t really matter, these things that you’re bringing up about the flaws of the script.’ So I do think global concerns play a big part in how movies, and what movies, are being made, obviously.”

from Batman News

So um not exactly surprising given:

Geoff Johns involvement

Previous DCEU outings

and I know some people will tell me and other skeptics to take it with a grain of salt and everything but here's the thing, this actually does tally with the other news about this movie, the only difference is that this source is straightforward and lays everything bare.

For example we DO know that Affleck isn't satisfied with the script, we do know that Affleck has refused to to commit to this film and yet we also know that Irons and Manganiello are preparing for a shoot sometime before summer 2017, how is it that the director is so coy and yet cast members are prepping for a shoot openly? it means that the studio is rushing the production and if they're rushing the production then it's obvious that they dont care if the script has issues, ergo it tallies perfectly.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if this film is similar to Hush/Knightfall and has glut of characters/villains which probably would explain the serious issues.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HighAccuser

Should fit in with the rest of the DCEU

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I mean, damn. I get it, this is a business and money comes first, but they're obviously gonna put a lot of money in this film, and they know their gonna get their money back and than some, so why be so apathetic about the film's quality ?

I-I kinda hope WW and JL flop, like I hope they're good, but WB needs a good kick in the pants, and needs to learn that they just can't half ass it and put a comicbook character on the big screen and expect 400% profit, but considering how much SS made, maybe they can.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this whole statement is pretty stupid..because if they don't care what the script is, they should have no problem in someone fixing it up..why would they go through that amount of controversy that both their last 2 movies went through with all the talks abt producers ruining them..??

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I was getting worried because of the same thing as well, the shooting of the movie is expected to start way too early in my opinion. Warner Bros. and Affleck were saying that the solo Batman movie wouldn't be rushed and there is no expected release date for it but now all of a sudden everything is starting and soon after that we are getting the movie. Don't get me wrong, I am still excited, but I think that they should give Affleck more time to properly write the script.

We barely learned who the villain is going to be and the script is probably in it's draft stages and we are already getting information of the studio rushing the whole project and them beginning to film it.

That's not how you do things WB, that's not how you do things.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The friend of a friend of another friend told me, is not a real source and even if it did happen, the message could have been exaggerated and made a bigger deal than it actually is. Bret Easton Ellis, the guy who said it on the Ringer interview, clarified that he stated, that one of his executive friends was told by another executive, that the script of The Batman had some problems (the article of the Ringer exaggerated this). Also we don't know when the executives were told that, It could have been back at Jun where Ben said that he wasn't satisfied with the script. We know that there still some problems with the script, Affleck said so last week but he also said that he is working on fixing those problems (http://batman-news.com/2016/10/24/ben-affleck-batman-not-movie-fail-quietly/). Affleck has said many times that he will only do the film until he gets the script right.

Now I am going to tackle the other points. I will admit that Geoff Jonhs's involvement worries me a little because I don't think he writes Batman well, He created the "Arkham Knight" character and that was one of the weakest things of the game (Not to mention the tons of bad Batman comics he has made). But I believe that Affleck will fix any mistake that Jonhs might make. I understand why people would be cautious thanks to the previous DCEU films but most of them were made by Zack Snyder, a director that has only make 1 well received movie. So It's understandable but Affleck is another tier compared to those directors and He is cowriter of the script and He will direct the movie, so he has more control than them. That Ben Affleck is avoiding to say when he is going to start filming, doesn't automatically suggest that the producers are rushing the movie. I have watched lots of recent interviews of Ben, in the Accountant and despite he is constantly trying to keep the interviews on the topic (promoting the Accountant), the interviewrs always get back on the topic of Batman because It will be a huge film. Imagine if Ben said, I will start filming the movie in X date, All of interviewrs would be completely focused on getting the scoop on the Batman film and not in all of the other films that Ben is making. He still has to promote Live by Night, so he wants the focus on those movies, The Batman film will get it's focus later. I have faiht that Ben will deliver a great movie so I am not to worried about the film.

This is just an alternative interpretation to the whole thing just to show that you can argue one way or the other. Basically you can believe what you want but there is not enough evidence to support any position.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: It's not Affleck I'm worried about, it's the studio and the fact that this is a shared universe. Really wish we were getting a standalone series not tied to the DCEU crap, for instance, all the casting decisions for this film so far have been made by Snyder/someone else, not Afleck. Batman's arc, direction etc have been set by Snyder, infact if Snyder had his way I have no doubt Carrie Kelly would be the Robin, he'll certainly lobby hard for her I'm sure. That's the problem with shared universe, positivity leads to positivity while negativity leads to negativity, the momentum becomes hard to break, the perception hard to change.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good or bad we'll have to wait and see

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bret Ellis is a Disney shill paid to spew negativity about the DCEU so there won't be much competition for their Marvel brand of films.

Image result for conspiracy theorists

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bret Ellis already said that he was sorry about speaking so prematurely on this subject. He didn't really think it through when he was asked to speak about this and matters are way different than he said they are. The script is still a mess but not as big as Ellis said and it is also being editted right now, so there will most definitely be changes to it. Let's hope good ones.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By entropy_aegis

@ready_4_madness said:

Debunked

Nope, he said that he just speaking about the state of Hollywood and used the Bat script as an example because of what he had been recently told by his acquaintances, all he denies is being part of the film or having first hand knowledge about the script, which he never claimed in the first place. The onlly thing that can debunk this rumor is the time frame, if his pals saw the script months ago then yeah it's possible the issues have been sorted out, but if they just saw it last week or something then we have a problem.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I'm guessing that it was probably from a few months but we can't know for sure. I am guessing that it is from my a few months ago because during the summer there were rumors that Affleck wasn't happy with how things are turning out with the Batman movie and it's script. That was around June-July. But then in September he said in an interview that things are running smoother right now and some time later we got the news that Manganiello was casted as Slade. I mean this is all guessing from me but I at least hope that I am headed in the right direction.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@entropy_aegis: I'd bet nothing short of my life that this is because of WB not Affleck. What do you think?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@entropy_aegis: I'm guessing that it was probably from a few months but we can't know for sure. I am guessing that it is from my a few months ago because during the summer there were rumors that Affleck wasn't happy with how things are turning out with the Batman movie and it's script. That was around June-July. But then in September he said in an interview that things are running smoother right now and some time later we got the news that Manganiello was casted as Slade. I mean this is all guessing from me but I at least hope that I am headed in the right direction.

I hope so myself.

@entropy_aegis: I'd bet nothing short of my life that this is because of WB not Affleck. What do you think?

Absolutely.

adrikito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen many times this notice.... Bad... Please Affleck don´t fail us..

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adrikito said:

I listen many times this notice.... Bad... Please Affleck don´t fail us..

It would be more like WB failing us and not so much Affleck.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only hope for the best from the DCEU.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The friend of a friend of another friend told me, is not a real source and even if it did happen, the message could have been exaggerated and made a bigger deal than it actually is. Bret Easton Ellis, the guy who said it on the Ringer interview, clarified that he stated, that one of his executive friends was told by another executive, that the script of The Batman had some problems (the article of the Ringer exaggerated this). Also we don't know when the executives were told that, It could have been back at Jun where Ben said that he wasn't satisfied with the script. We know that there still some problems with the script, Affleck said so last week but he also said that he is working on fixing those problems (http://batman-news.com/2016/10/24/ben-affleck-batman-not-movie-fail-quietly/). Affleck has said many times that he will only do the film until he gets the script right.

Now I am going to tackle the other points. I will admit that Geoff Jonhs's involvement worries me a little because I don't think he writes Batman well, He created the "Arkham Knight" character and that was one of the weakest things of the game (Not to mention the tons of bad Batman comics he has made). But I believe that Affleck will fix any mistake that Jonhs might make. I understand why people would be cautious thanks to the previous DCEU films but most of them were made by Zack Snyder, a director that has only make 1 well received movie. So It's understandable but Affleck is another tier compared to those directors and He is cowriter of the script and He will direct the movie, so he has more control than them. That Ben Affleck is avoiding to say when he is going to start filming, doesn't automatically suggest that the producers are rushing the movie. I have watched lots of recent interviews of Ben, in the Accountant and despite he is constantly trying to keep the interviews on the topic (promoting the Accountant), the interviewrs always get back on the topic of Batman because It will be a huge film. Imagine if Ben said, I will start filming the movie in X date, All of interviewrs would be completely focused on getting the scoop on the Batman film and not in all of the other films that Ben is making. He still has to promote Live by Night, so he wants the focus on those movies, The Batman film will get it's focus later. I have faiht that Ben will deliver a great movie so I am not to worried about the film.

This is just an alternative interpretation to the whole thing just to show that you can argue one way or the other. Basically you can believe what you want but there is not enough evidence to support any position.

This. I have faith in Affleck, WB does too so I don't think they'll rush him.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a nonsense.

Even if it's true - and when doesn't a project have script problems in the super hero genre? - how the hell would Ellis know?

"Some executives told other executives who told me?" Get the hell out of here.

tumdetmepro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tumdetmepro

My production company is creating a Batman movie... the script is pretty good! You guys should check out the promo!

Loading Video...