• 93 results
Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

When DC announced Dan Jurgens and Bernard Chang were launching a new BATMAN BEYOND series this month, we were a little surprised. Usually the Terry McGinnis stories were seen in miniseries or the Digital First series. This new series was being labeled as "THE definitive future of the DCU." With Terry also appearing in the weekly FUTURES END series, it was nice to see so much attention being given to the former animated favorite. The idea of Jurgens and Chang tweaking and updating the future world of Batman was exciting.

If you read all of FUTURES END, a book Jurgens co-wrote, you might have an idea as to some of the changes we'll see.

No Caption Provided

Things just may be getting a little freaky for Batman Beyond fans. For those that haven't FUTURES END, here's what you need to know.

Terry McGinnis had traveled back in time to try to prevent a horrific catastrophe. We witnessed how the changes with the creation of Brother EYE five years from now started the ball rolling into what would end up ravaging the world and causing the death of many heroes. Terry had met up with Tim Drake, who had managed to survive a battle in which it was thought he and his teammates were killed. Pulled out of retirement, Tim was caught up in this new battle and was there when Terry met his end.

No Caption Provided

Terry may have pushed the fight closer to the end but it was far from over. There was still a lot that needed to be done to save the future. Terry asked Tim to take his place and continue the fight. As reluctant as Tim had been to get back into the action, he simply had no choice.

Because he turned his back on the lifestyle, replacing Terry wasn't immediately accepted by everyone.

No Caption Provided

Because Tim had quit, Batman didn't feel Tim could do the job. His reply wasy, "It takes a lot of nerve putting on a uniform like that." Unfortunately for him, Batman couldn't travel forward in time because of how future Batman had calibrated the jump. Tim's weight and body type was closer to Terry's.

Tim went with the plan and fought Brother EYE. He managed to convince it to destroy itself in order to fulfill it's programming of protecting Earth. Tim was sent on another jump to "whatever replaces that which was." Only he wasn't quite prepared for when he was sent to.

Tim is now in the future and the world doesn't look too great.

No Caption Provided

What this all means is the new BATMAN BEYOND will not feature Terry and the familiar elements we may have been expecting. This will be Tim Drake, thirty years in the future.

No Caption Provided

This is where Batman Beyond fans will start to get upset.

This won't be Terry McGinnis working with old man Bruce and fighting crime while trying to keep a date with Dana. The thing is, we've seen those stories already. With Tim being thrusted into his future, it adds a new twist to the idea. We usually dig the "new hero on the block" stories where they have to figure out their place and adjust to their new abilities. Tim is a fan-favorite character. I've often heard many cite him as their favorite Robin. This is, in some ways, also an evolution for Tim. He now gets to be Batman. Only now it's in the future. We've seen him do great things. How will he handle what the future will throw at him?

There will be some familiar elements. Despite what we saw in the Sneak Peek, Neo-Gotham still exists along with Wayne-Powers. There'll be Jokerz running around in the first issue. We'll also see some familiar faces and Tim will have to deal with explaining what happened to Terry.

No Caption Provided

Like many others, I would absolutely love to see Jurgens and Chang write on ongoing with Terry. The recent BATMAN BEYOND 2.0 by Kyle Higgins and Alec Siegel was fantastic. To those that might be outraged now, I wonder were they supporting that series?

This new BATMAN BEYOND series isn't what we first thought it would be. There will be some adjusting on our part, as well as Tim's. This will be a different take. Change isn't necessarily a bad thing. There'll be more of the unknown being thrown at us instead of trying to recreate the glorious vibe from the animated series. I just hope we'll get to see Ace the Bat-Hound at some point. Also, with the events of Convergenceand the state of the Multiverse, Terry McGinnis can still exist.

#1 Posted by Golden Cod (630 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting... I'm guessing in this version Tim wasn't tortured by Joker into becoming his mini-me, or get implanted with a chip that allows Joker to manifest through Tim's body.

#2 Edited by Teerack (10703 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of want to see Terry become a Nightwing/Robin/Red Hood Beyond now.

Or better yet a Azrael Beyond.

#3 Posted by RoboShark (2637 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm lookin forward to this. Got lots of love and respect for Ol' Tim. I loved (most) of the pre-New52 Red Robin book. And "future" Tim (so weird to say) was one of my favorite things in the Futures End storyline. I kinda wish DC hadn't done the whole sneak peek thing cause the week these books do come out anyone who's seen them will be skipping the first few pages, which I know will make me feel slightly cheated in a manner of speaking.

#4 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboshark: I wouldn't recommend anyone skip the first few pages. At least with the couple books I've read so far. It's not filler or recap from the previews.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
#5 Posted by obsidian_raindrop1 (490 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting... I'm guessing in this version Tim wasn't tortured by Joker into becoming his mini-me, or get implanted with a chip that allows Joker to manifest through Tim's body.

that's Earth-12

Avatar image for artisticneedham
#6 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2730 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the idea of Terry being dead. Did he die or is it a lie?

#7 Posted by CitizenJP (782 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmm dang I'm kind of caught between being exited and sad lol. I love Terry McGinnis. I mean...why not? ESPECIALLY if you're like me (25 years old) and have had some kind of attachment to the character since 1999. I feel old for saying that but he's a character I've been attached to since I was 10 years old, yet honestly this is where I begin to worry less and my opinion begins to split. Tim Drake is excellent character and like Tony said, this is going to be an evolution for him. One that I am totally open to reading. He is more than capable even as an aged hero. The thing about comics is no one is ever truly gone for long. I'm sure Terry will EVENTUALLY spring up again at some point but I'm totally ready to see Tim become this Batman. Tim is awesome. Go Tim.

#8 Posted by SOG7dc (11368 posts) - - Show Bio

Turrible. I was interested, but no longer.

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
#9 Posted by The_Kid_Lantern (222 posts) - - Show Bio

As a big Batman Beyond fan I was kind of shocked how Future's End played out and how this new series is getting off the ground. There was a lot of untouched ground in the original Beyond universe and Terry could've continued to evolve as well as the future around him. Tim Drake in the New52 isn't nearly the character he was pre-New52. He's barely a Bat-character in the Titans and has one of the most horrible suits since the relaunch... and they make him the new Batman Beyond five years from now in a future another 25 years ahead of that?

Bring back Terry. And other illegitimate clones/children of Batman. I'd almost have rather seen Bruce's clone from JL 3000 come back in time and replace Terry in the Beyond universe and have two Bruces...

I'll give it a peek and see what happens. But the bar's already been set pretty high.

~KL~

#10 Posted by NightFang3 (12361 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

I kind of want to see Terry become a Nightwing/Robin/Red Hood Beyond now.

Or better yet a Azrael Beyond.

This needs to happen!

#11 Posted by Jestersmiles (9826 posts) - - Show Bio

no terry...............................................

No Caption Provided
#12 Posted by Vivide (3279 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely disgusting

#13 Posted by saoakden (1285 posts) - - Show Bio

When this book was announced I was excited to see Batman Beyond in another book. I love Batman Beyond, but when I found out that it's Tim and not Terry, I was surprised but I'm still going to read the book.

#14 Edited by JackalVenom (34 posts) - - Show Bio

I need to read Future's End and Batman Beyond 2.0, I love Terry which it's why I am part of the 67% (possibly accurate percentage assumption) of people who r pissed about his death!

Even if he can come back i don't want to see Tim as Batman. If readers wanted a Twist, kill off Bruce Wayne! Terry will still be inexperienced and needs guidance, so he would enlist the help of a master that is still alive in that day and age. Anyone! Idk maybe Lady Shiva, is she still alive? Dick Grayson or even Tim Drake since they're using him anyway!

Another twist that is a Direct effect of Bruce dieing is Matthew becomes Robin. Because Terry is still naive he lets Matthew talk him into letting him become robin and assist him since Bruce is now out of the picture. Good am i right?

I do realize after reviewing my opinion that some of this could have happened in 1 way it's another. Terry isn't as young as he was in the animated series obviously. Meaning he isn't as "naive" and Matthew could already play a pivotal role on the story and not be robin. And some other errors. (I would still read this comic tho. I'm mad at Terry's death but that won't stop this comic from being great.)

#15 Posted by mantequilla (271 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant support a new series that is based on an error since I am pretty sure that in Futures End #0 Terry ended in the wrong time (5 years in the future) because A.L.F.R.E.D. was calibrated to Bruce's weight and suddenly to the end of Futures End they say Batman cant go back in time because Tim is closer to Terry's weight?; It seems like a pretty big mistake by the writers

#16 Posted by senglord (2773 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard that Beyond 2.0 did decent in sales.

#17 Posted by RybackStun93 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, without Terry I'm not interested in this. Thanks for the preview and saving me some money.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
#18 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (17940 posts) - - Show Bio

Fap fap fap. So excited

#19 Posted by Anjales_II (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

hey..Tim is actually getting some love, unlike most of his New 52 tenure, so now he has his own book now for the first time since Pre-Flashpoint. Tim hasn't been handled well since the N52, so maybe this is a chance to show what the character can truly do.

#20 Posted by Ananke (967 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, that sucks. Majorly. There goes my excitement. v_v

#21 Posted by Frozen (21116 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Protoflash (181 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not that I hate Tim Drake. Or even that I think this will create bad stories. I just think it would have been better to keep Terry as Batman Beyond, and have a heavy side story with Tim. (A la Kate Bishop in Hawkeye) as this just seems like a way for the writer to still write a book called batman beyond, without having to make themselves familiar with terry's character or his universe. If this isn't the case then I apologize but thats what it looks like

#23 Posted by TheTrollDance (258 posts) - - Show Bio

@artisticneedham: Terry's dead as far as Future's End goes, he passed on the torch to Tim Drake.

#24 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm torn.

On one hand, I'm quite happy to see Tim helming a solo book again and I might give it a look.

On the other hand, there are quite a few issues I have with this setup:

• Replacing Terry; first of all, I don't give a hoot about Terry, never watched the show, never read the books. But I get where Terry's fans are coming from, Batman Beyond is Terry's thing not Tim's. It's exactly the same thing when Damian showed up and booted Tim out of the Batcave.
  • The timeline; the major turn-off for me in regards to Future's End was that the Teen Titans had died and the Bat-character was the only survivor despite being the weakest of the lot. I. Hate. That. And unless some weird stroke of miracle happens, none of he old Titans are going to appear outside of flashbacks... which rather defeats the appeal of these time-skip stories for me.

This book might turn out great and all, but atm I'd much rather have a Red Robin ongoing than this.

#25 Posted by Kyle_Dornez (329 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like that DC brought Terry to their "mainstream" (and Futures End is kinda weird about that, being stand alone series, yet heavily influencing Convergence -__-) So they brought Terry to "mainstream" essentially to kill him off and give his title to Tim Drake, as if Terry couldn't carry it by himself. Also calling him "Batman Beyond" instead of Batman in recap page -__-"

#26 Edited by MrCobain215 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenjp: You're 25 brother trucker you're not old.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
#27 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2730 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetrolldance: I have no problem with Tim stepping in as Batman, getting to see him finally as an adult is like getting to see Bart and Lisa as adults in those great future episodes of the Simpsons. Its a fun idea. But I just hate when a great character is killed off, especially Terry because he was a young adult with a future ahead of him. Maybe they can have him come back somehow but still, I felt the same when they killed off Steve Rogers, Ted Kord, etc. Terry could have stepped down and let Tim take over. I'll still look into it and see what its like, but I just don't like killing off great characters like that. :(

Side note, I came up with this idea for Robin Beyond. Terry relies too much on the suit and needs to sharpen his skills, at the demand of Bruce as well as wanting to show he is Batman and not the suit. So he trains and goes on smaller missions as Robin, his utility belt contains low tech weapons and tools, nothing electronic (or very few things that are). So Terry would have been both Batman and Robin. Then later, after a while of Terry doing this, someone else could have stepped in as the new Robin.

No Caption Provided

I also came up with ideas for other DC Beyond characters: Two-Face the Terminator, son of Rose Wilson he took the name of a pop culture gangster Two-Face. Power Beetle and Golden Fire the sons of Ted Kord/Power Girl and Booster Gold/Fire. Wonder Man the son of Wonder Woman/Superman. Firestorm, when Parasite blew up Kansas in a Nuclear blast the blast took everyone's minds and made them one hero... Firestorm. Cheeter, the son of the original Cheetah who spliced his DNA with cheetah DNA as well as other animals to increase his strength and power. Spectre, who was Raven. Bizarro Beyond is actually Wonder Man from another universe where he was an evil dictator that was trapped in the Phantom Zone.

No Caption Provided

#28 Posted by the_comebacks (365 posts) - - Show Bio

I might give this a chance, but I'd be much more interesting in a Terry batman beyond book.

#29 Edited by donmeca2020 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

I also prefer terry as well considering he has been batman beyond since the cartoon series was made. However i'll give this a shot, more then likely i could see them bringing Terry back some way some how.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
#30 Posted by 51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, none of this really comes as a surprise if I'm being honest. When Terry died and DC announced that they were going to do an ongoing Batman Beyond series, I pieced two-and-two together and made up my mind to try and imagine what Tim Drake as the Batman of the future would be like.

The thing is... I liked Terry as Batman in the futuristic Gotham setting that people had come to grow accustomed to seeing on their TV screens.

In my eyes, he (along with Static) was one of the few cash cows that DC had, and it was because he had all the tropes that make most young hero characters likeable: charismatic, conflicted, reluctant, sardonic, and still dealing with the emotional troubles that plagues the average youth. Combine that with the amazing settings and the circumstances that made them want to be a hero, and you have a gold mine. Just look at the examples that we have. Peter Parker and his burden of responsibility in the Concrete Jungle, Kamala Khan and her urge to do good, Virgil Hawkins and his willingness to take the initiative and actually benefit his community, Invincible at first wanting to live up to the legacy his dad left behind, but soon going beyond that, etc.

These are the reasons why I won't be picking up this series. Why pay for something that seems different just for the sake of being different? It's one thing to change the status quo for the sake of introducing new tropes into a familiar series so as to attract new readers, but it's a whole 'notha bidness when you seek to enact this change by taking something that was created for that very purpose and say, "Hey, let's do it again to the same thing."

All that said, this doesn't mean that I'll be looking at all the things DC is pushing out its enormous, cash funded birth canal, and saying "it's bad because it's different". DOOMED looks fucking amazing, and so do STARFIRE and MIDNIGHTER. These I will be picking up every goddamn week. Batman Beyond, however, I will not. Feel free to respond with tl;dr.

#32 Posted by Snape (57 posts) - - Show Bio

@htasha52: That's great! So what's your opinion on the new Batman Beyond? Team Terry or Team Tim?

#33 Posted by regiebravo (1835 posts) - - Show Bio

Picking up this book for sure now.

#34 Posted by the_stegman (40135 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm down. I always keep the Skrull motto of Embrace Change. Could be a good book.

#35 Edited by lagozzino (555 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm ambivalent about this either way (I wouldn't have started buying this title regardless of who was in the costume), but I just don't see the logic behind it from DC's point of view.

Do they think people would be more interested in the Beyond franchise now that it's helmed by a familiar character? I really can't see that happening because 1) this isn't Tim Drake as anyone knows him. Its Tim aged by several years and far removed from the version that people are fans of 2) people shy away from series that purport to be the true future of the universe because of how easily and often those futures get erased. Hell, they just erased all of the previous Batman Beyond continuity to set up this new future, so why should anyone believe that the exact same thing won't happen again in a year or two?

#36 Posted by CitizenJP (782 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by scavengerFist (1935 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant support a new series that is based on an error since I am pretty sure that in Futures End #0 Terry ended in the wrong time (5 years in the future) because A.L.F.R.E.D. was calibrated to Bruce's weight and suddenly to the end of Futures End they say Batman cant go back in time because Tim is closer to Terry's weight?; It seems like a pretty big mistake by the writers

This was one of my concerns, how in the world do two (three if Atom was with them, I don't remember) of the brightest minds cannot recalibrate a time travel device?

Terry shouldn't have died. T_T

#38 Posted by batarangbamz (167 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this. If the DCAU Terry McGinnis is your Batman Beyond there are plenty of stories to read about him fighting crime in future Gotham. I read Futures End from beginning to end and Terry was portrayed more like Bruce because of Brother Eye ruining their future. The Batman Beyond that came back was nothing like the one I watched as a child, wasn't wise cracking and balancing personal issues at the same time. Which was ok because Kyle Higgins just finished an amazing story with that character. So if you missed that these last few years how big of a Terry McGinnis fan can you be? Tim has been the least fleshed out Bat character until Futures End showed another side of him, one not willing to fight, estranged from Bruce and thrust back into the hero game by Terry and his knowledge of what Brother Eye would do. In my opinion Terry in the mainstream DC universe served his purpose perfectly, he got Batman's true heir to take charge and the events of Futures End gave him a new setting to be The Batman. And hey when Tim left for the future I'm pretty sure Terry wasn't born yet so there's still a chance he can come in eventually, time travel being what it is.

#39 Posted by MaxSchreck (220 posts) - - Show Bio

Replacing Terry; first of all, I don't give a hoot about Terry, never watched the show, never read the books. But I get where Terry's fans are coming from, Batman Beyond is Terry's thing not Tim's. It's exactly the same thing when Damian showed up and booted Tim out of the Batcave.

Nope, Terry died. Tim just lost the mantle of Robin.

#40 Edited by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

This won't be Terry McGinnis working with old man Bruce and fighting crime while trying to keep a date with Dana. The thing is, we've seen those stories already.

I disagree, there were a lot more stories to tell. I liked the Batman Beyond universe when it first came out, it was very much like the series. More it featured three stories in one. Then a new writer took over, did a year jump and after that all the characters started acting differently. Now they've mixed it up with Future's End and trampled things even more. Batman Beyond wasn't that dystopian and even a cursory glance tells me that this is. Death, gloom and doom sells? Ok, but not to me. To me it looks like they like the name Batman Beyond, the like that it's already got a place in the market and some fans and now they'll change everything else about it.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
#41 Posted by GustavoBurciaga1 (652 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish we had Terry back, from a business point of view it doesn't make sense to make Tim Batman either. I mean people who grew up with the show want to see Terry in costume not Tim.

#42 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: I hear ya. Believe me. I LOVE Batman Beyond. That's why I reviewed so many of the Digital First 2.0 series. I'm totally on the fence with this but it's Jurgens and Chang that's making me check it out. We can still have Terry stories at some point. I am curious to see what they'll do with Tim. But it could be after a few issues I have to concede and say, "I'm out." And who knows, it's comics. Maybe we'll get Terry back somehow in this continuity.

#43 Posted by Flicker (146 posts) - - Show Bio

The change caught me off guard but I'm giving it a shot.

#44 Posted by Eivion (117 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no interest in reading a Batman Beyond set in the main universe let alone w/o Terry. I wish the series by Higgins was still going on.

#45 Posted by Golden Cod (630 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by RexWing (163 posts) - - Show Bio

Well this gives Tim a chance to be Batman, which is what a lot of long time Tim fans have been hoping for. I'd rather see Terry under the cowl, but I'm sure we will again someday. I could see this being a good book. It will be interesting to see Tim adapt to the future. But I feel like he was such a pansy in Future's End, I really didn't like the way he was written.

#47 Posted by SlimJames (20 posts) - - Show Bio

As probably the only guy around that doesn't like Tim Drake, I'm unhappy with this decision.

#48 Edited by GrandHarrier (130 posts) - - Show Bio

I have zero interest in a Batman Beyond title that isn't Terry. This went from a buy to a pass when I found out about the change. My biggest question though is why. What made them think this was the way to do a Beyond title.

Man, I loved the digital first series. It was so good.

#49 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man: and if it weren't 2.99 or 3.99 I might take a chance on it as well, but it is so I'll wait until the discount box. Comics today are just too expensive for me to take a casual chance on.

#50 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, Terry died. Tim just lost the mantle of Robin.

The result is the same: Someone else in their suits.