Batman 6 discussion

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Issue is out and it was better than the previous few but not saying much. Gotham Girl was okayish, King injected the loser villains with a fairly decent explanation and there's a huge set up for Bane but Batman is a paper thin character whose dialogue is now almost terrible, even Captain Stinagree has better dialogue than Batman. Also King continues to devote precious page time to non sense characters like Duke at the expense of interesting story telling. For instance Duke has a whole page of telling Batman he should save Gotham Girl and other obvious stuff but Bane and Hugo Strange make a deal off page which is told to us by Amanda Waller JESUS FLIPPING CHRIST. Wouldn't that page have been better devoted to the first meeting between two iconic Batman villains scheming together? NOPE MOAR DUKE.

lillion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lillion1

I don't see what the problem is with King trying to develop Duke a little more. Now an entire Hugo Strange Arc is coming, and then an entire Bane arc. How they met is not important, we only need to know why Bane suddenly had his hands on Psycho Pirate (so no plothole is created there) and King just told us why. Overall I would say this is good story writing so far.

Foreshadowing, check.

Character development, check

Building a premise for at least two future arcs, check

Even that page where Duke was telling GG needs to be saved was interesting. It was an acknowledgement of the existing problem and explains why Bruce made that deal with Amanda.

I give this issue a 5 out of 5

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An OK issue. I liked the moment between Batman and Gotham Girl, and the setup for the "I am Suicide" arc was nice.

Still, can we compile a list of people who DON'T know Batman's identity at this point ? I doubt it'd be that long, especially after Batman exposed his face right in the middle of the city in this issue >___>

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pretty meh. On every aspect except the art, that was good.

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the issue. One thing I do like about Tom King is the dynamic he gives between Alfred and Batman. I kinda agree that we really don't need to see the swap between Strange and Bane. I wouldn't say they are scheming together since they have their own agendas. Strange needs venom for the monster men and we'll find out why Bane wanted the pirate. I would hardly call them working together.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By kcomicfan

Issue #6 is ok. The story is fine, the dialog is a little lacklustre and the art is ok.

No one has talked about the most important part of the issue yet....the return of Kite Man.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The issue was simply outstanding. Both writing and art were terrific. Easily five out of five.

Also, the Duke hate is getting way out of hand. He only spoke like three times in the entire arc for someone who doesn't like him. He's basically here to ground All-Star Batman in continuity. King can't develop him that much before Snyder does himself in his back-up stories. I think he is used here in the most efficient way possible.

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot better than the previous issue. I loved the Batman and Alfred discussion, and how we got to see a character deal with loss. Pumped for the next arc

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Haven't read the issue yet, but I'm hesitant to, if I'm honest.

On a scale of "passable schlock" to "irredeemable garbage", how bad is it?

MyNameIsChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

passable schlock

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All in all I was more thrown by the ending to issue 5 where King had the gall to try to give us that crap about Batman dying in the future. Issue 6 was meh.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By entropy_aegis

@epyon007:

@lillion1 said:

I don't see what the problem is with King trying to develop Duke a little more. Now an entire Hugo Strange Arc is coming, and then an entire Bane arc. How they met is not important, we only need to know why Bane suddenly had his hands on Psycho Pirate (so no plothole is created there) and King just told us why. Overall I would say this is good story writing so far.

Foreshadowing, check.

Even that page where Duke was telling GG needs to be saved was interesting. It was an acknowledgement of the existing problem and explains why Bruce made that deal with Amanda.

No Caption Provided

Except there is no development, he just kept telling us things we (and Batman) already knew, it's like there is an obligation to put him in to every issue for no reason at all. I could've still swallowed the bitter pill if the more interesting stuff didn't get even less than Duke himself. That encounter between Bane and Strange I referred to, now I didn't want them to meet and hug, I wanted to know what Hugo's been up to for the last 6 issues yet King feels that his entire role in this arc merits a few lines. Take a look at that scan, that's everything Hugo did in this entire arc just neatly told to us and it doesn't make much sense. How does creating random explosions get him free reign with Psycho Pirate? how was Bane behind it as King says? it implies more than a simple swap.

Btw King doesn't get credit for Hugo's story in Monster Men, here from the horses mouth:

The Monster Men actually came from Scott Snyder, Steve Orlando, James Tynion IV, and I sitting around a table. Sometimes we play games. One of the games we play is "What would be an amazing Batman image?" I think James and Mark [Doyle, Batman group editor] were like, "Picture a silhouette of Batman standing on a roof and a kaiju like Godzilla was walking by. What would Batman do?" And I was already using Hugo Strange and we had this idea to have huge monsters. Hugo Strange's Monster Men just clicked together.

And the Monster Men have gone through a kaiju redesign. Was that in place from the start?

Yeah, absolutely. In fact, it really comes from the imagination of Steve Orlando. I'd like to take credit for it because it's so cool, but he took the idea of Monster Men and ran with it and created these monsters, each of which has unique characteristics and is uniquely disgusting. The Monster Men crossover is so awesome.

Den of Geek

So if Orlando and the other guys had never come up with this crossover then Hugo's involvement would have just ended with #6, King did nothing with the character, what we got in the last 6 issues is everything King ever planned on saying about Hugo.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epyon007:

@lillion1 said:

Foreshadowing, check.

No Caption Provided

Except there is no development, he just kept telling us things we (and Batman) already knew, it's like there is an obligation to put him in to every issue for no reason at all. I could've still swallowed the bitter pill if the more interesting stuff didn't get even less than Duke himself. That encounter between Bane and Strange I referred to, now I didn't want them to meet and hug, I wanted to know what Hugo's been up to for the last 6 issues yet King feels that his entire role in this arc merits a few lines. Take a look at that scan, that's everything Hugo did in this entire arc just neatly told to us and it doesn't make much sense. How does creating random explosions get him free reign with Psycho Pirate? how was Bane behind it as King says? it implies more than a simple swap.

Btw King doesn't get credit for Hugo's story in Monster Men, here from the horses mouth:

The Monster Men actually came from Scott Snyder, Steve Orlando, James Tynion IV, and I sitting around a table. Sometimes we play games. One of the games we play is "What would be an amazing Batman image?" I think James and Mark [Doyle, Batman group editor] were like, "Picture a silhouette of Batman standing on a roof and a kaiju like Godzilla was walking by. What would Batman do?" And I was already using Hugo Strange and we had this idea to have huge monsters. Hugo Strange's Monster Men just clicked together.

And the Monster Men have gone through a kaiju redesign. Was that in place from the start?

Yeah, absolutely. In fact, it really comes from the imagination of Steve Orlando. I'd like to take credit for it because it's so cool, but he took the idea of Monster Men and ran with it and created these monsters, each of which has unique characteristics and is uniquely disgusting. The Monster Men crossover is so awesome.

Den of Geek

So if Orlando and the other guys had never come up with this crossover then Hugo's involvement would have just ended with #6, King did nothing with the character, what we got in the last 6 issues is everything King ever planned on saying about Hugo.

Does Amanda Waller really say, "I could care less..."!? The phrase is, of course, "I COULDN'T care less", meaning that she cares so little about the issue that it is impossible for her to be less interested in it. If someone says they "COULD care less" then they're saying they have a certain amount of interest in a thing that could be reduced. Damn I hate it when people say/write that. Come on King, get your crap together.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The issue was better than the previous ones but the first few pages and the last one ruined everything for me. I didn't care at all for Gotham Girl or why we needed her to be saved by Batman, I mean King has done a terrible job at making us compassionate about her and her future with Duke and Batman.

The interiors of Ivan Reis weren't as amazing as I thought they would and as I wanted but we ended up with a rather okay looking pages and action. King was hyping so much Reis for this issue that it got me excited but I guess it was rather for nothing.

My final and biggest problem with this issue and the previous ones is the whole story developing King has been doing. It's not good, not by any means. If this was somehow made into a movie it would have so many loose ends that critics would totally destroy the movie in their reviews. The involvement of Hugo Strange was in a three of four pages in the end of two of the issues and everything else he has done, which was major, we are told for it by Amanda in an exposition page. Bs, total bs. The whole thing with the Psycho Pirate doesn't make much sense as you already said because Bane's plan of using Strange and freeing the Pirate seems rather simple and idiotic. And when you combine all of this with so much bad dialogue you are being left with a bad taste in your mouth.

To sum up the first six issues of King's Batman run - total disappointment with bad storytelling.