NEW BATGIRL (October)

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm not sure how I feel about it....if it was a series based on Babs earlier days as Batgirl, then ok. But that sad fire story they came up with and that manga style...she is so mature and tense in the current book, it'll be weird to see a lighter tone, even though i feel like this character deserves it.

Plus, will all Bat-title have changes that will combine with that choice (cause otherwise it'll be just weird)?

Here where I first read about it. Enjoy (or not)!

http://batman-news.com/2014/07/10/dc-announces-new-batgirl-creative-team-shows-new-batgirl-costume/

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I'm all for it, personally I think that Gail Simone's run was for the most part mediocre and was overly grim. I might be one of the few comic book readers who doesn't want to see the hero go through hell every issue for no particular reason. I love the art direction that they're going for and the costume changes.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo I don't think it was mediocre (Gail made an effort to develop the character and her personality), but I agree about the grim part. It felt like Babs couldn't catch a break haha - though it's kind of an obligation to Bat Universe characters.

I liked the idea of writting lighter stories, however, it looks like a retcon. It doesn't fit the changes and all the story created by Gail Simone at all. Plus, she looks younger, like a teenager. The fact that she was 21- but serious and mature as a 30 year-old woman, while struggling with her own lack of skills to do "what normal people usually do"- was pretty interesting. I mean...we don't need another happy, smart and beautiful young girl. We've got thousands of them in comics already.

Anyway...I hope she gets more decent interaction with other characters. So far, too little.

sync1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What... the f*ck.

This is horrible. Simone was a great writer. I loved the series. The art was amazing most of the time as well. Now this new Babs just looks awful. Don't like it one bit.

darthvader18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like batgirl how she is now the change is not smart at all. Prequel then fine but I can't take it seriously if she went from mature and serious to a light toned batgirl but I guess it's for the younger readers

Avatar image for wonder_princess
Wonder Princess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really not liking this new look. Did she get de-aged to her early teens? I like the current series and this new direction just does not work for me. Maybe if it is a Year One story, but I still prefer the current look and series.

theCARS7879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By theCARS7879

Hell yea , Barbara Gordon is back as Batgirl!

theCARS7879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By theCARS7879
No Caption Provided

the return of Barbara Gordon I bet is also for older readers like myself who were fans of the 60s Batman VT show starring Yvonne Craig as Batgirl. She sported that purplish lycra spandex outfit with high heeled boots and the cowl which covered her head but you can still see her pretty face below the mask

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By youknowwhattodo

Just read the 10 page uncorrected preview. Definitely a different tone than Gail Simone's Batgirl, a college atmosphere where Barbara fights crime hungover (not sure that'll go over well), the artwork reminds me a lot of Archie and the tone reminds me of Waid's Daredevil, reminds me of "Girls" as well. There's already an excuse for her having to wear a different Batgirl costume and it looks like she'll be getting a new roomie for awhile Dinah.

While there's no guarantee that everything here will be in the first issue because it's the uncorrected preview, I like what I saw. While I respect Gail Simone as a writer, I thought that she was trying as hard as she could to write her Babs in the same vein as pre-Flashpoint Babara Gordon, but pre-Flashpoint she was in her late 20's and in the new 52 she is 21 (or 22). This book seems more believable for a 21 year Batgirl.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm here to express my total disgust over this new Batgirl book. I'm dropping it.

Babs had her own way of being fun, smart and caring...this issue came and made her as ordinary as any girl in the world would be. I couldn't see the character there. For me, it wasn't fun as Batgirl: Year One. It was a boring story, staring superficial characters.

Crossovers with the Bat-Family? With this new title, forget them.

Seriously, I hated everything. And for the ones who say she's more 'believable' this way....it's a damn comic book. It doesn't NEED to be believable. Plus, I'm 21 and even when I was 19 I wasn't so retarted as this new Babs and her roomies, who have NOTHING to do with the character.

I just hope they change that crap soon. It's not fair for such an amazing character to have the ONLY title from the Bat-Family members that is childish.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was Batgirl de-aged?

Yes, prior to the reboot Barbara was in her early 30's and in the new 52, she is 21.

DjBest02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By DjBest02

I, for one, love the new direction. I like the tone it has, light and quirky. Babs is young and full of life! I can relate to her as well. I mentioned this in my reviews before so I'm not gonna re-write, but yeah, I like the new Batgirl of Burnside.