undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Well, Jonathan Hickman, ya did it. You pulled all the threads together in a way that simultaneously was emotionally satisfying, characteristically organic and, most of all, incredibly compelling. A new plan is revealed, not just to try and stop the incursions but to deal with Namor’s Cabal once and for all, and it’s a DOOZY. Without getting into detail, it also doesn’t come off as a deus-ex machina as it fits the narrative that’s been built to a tee and comes about because of events that were already unfolding rather than just seeming like it was pulled out of someone’s pocket. This lends the issue a sense of real consequence and that the things that happen in it truly matter and won’t simply be erased with an Ultimate Nullifier. Hickman also gives us these characters interacting in ways that we haven’t seen in a long, long time and gives us the sense that, while things may have outwardly changed, they’re still the same heroes they always were. We also, finally, get some payoff on one of the most signficant and seemingly forgotten events of the last several years when T’Challa finally faces off with Namor. It’s an incredible moment and it absolutely delivers on the massive buildup.

Stefano Caselli provides the linework and gives us some absolutely stellar looking characters. This is a character-focused issue and Caselli was definitely the guy to go to for the art this time around as his characters have a wildly varied range of facial features, both subtle and extremely exaggerated.There’s not a great deal of action, but even the conversations have an exciting feel that communicate the stakes and the characters’ internal monologues without needing to exposit or be too blunt and Frank Martin’s colors add a great deal of depth and darkness to the goings-on. This is a dark issue in terms of its subject matter, and Martin captures that very well while still making Caselli’s exaggerated characters look properly exaggerated.

The Bad

The main conversation of the book seems oddly timed and strangely civil. Considering these guys have been on the run for months now being ruthlessly hunted, it’s strange that everyone agrees to just have a conversation. It also makes me wonder why they didn’t do this sooner.

The Verdict

This is an incredible issue in this series, both in terms of how the plot develops and the characters are framed, as well as paying off a lot of threads I was afraid would be left dangling, and it was a doozy of a plot point (the fears that nothing would come of the rivalry between Namor and T’Challa were, again, unfounded) so seeing it pay off here the way it does is not only great reading, it’s deeply satisfying. The one complaint stands out, but hardly ruins, what might be the best issue of this series yet.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Fantastic issue, great way to kick off Secret Wars. After what happened I see World War Namor on the horizon. Waiting for someone to blow up speech bubble I want to know what BB said?

Avatar image for constantstrange
ConstantStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superb news. Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow!

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I want to read this so badly.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Awesome.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will pick this up first thing on friday ^_^

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

What about NewAvengers?? or are these two titles somehow merging?

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hickman writes an awesome Black Panther

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T'Challa is So F'ing gangster! Hickman's a genius.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He could still be alive.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great, now I'm getting the urge to read this

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bravo, T'Challa. Bravo

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Such a fantastic issue. I'm really looking forward to re-reading this whole run along with New Avengers once it is all said and done. Maybe even do so before reading the final issues.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18 said:

He could still be alive.

I don´t think that Namor has planetary durability.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it is obvious that Black Swan has survived, I mean she viewed how Namor was getting away and Black Panther let him the seconds she needed to escape. So in getting his revenge, T'Challa might have screwed things up (I am not even thinking what would happen if all The Cabal has survived thanks to Balck Panther). I also think that Black Swan survived because if she didn´t Tony would starve.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This issue was pretty good.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By adamTRMM

Wait a second, why did Black Bolt help Black Panther?

Smells like a part of anti-mutant conspiracy with this Inhuman intervention..lol but seriously?

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18 said:

He could still be alive.

I don´t think that Namor has planetary durability.

He can now :)

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 owie  Moderator

I'm glad I picked this up since I have mostly been reading just New Avengers and would definitely have missed out on some big stuff. It is a little annoying how these various hero factions seem to argue and come together somewhat randomly. Steve in particular seems to have a bigger chip on his shoulder than usual.

I do wonder if Panther has messed it up for everyone else. I mean, are we to believe that Thanos couldn't have teleported himself off?

Also, how about that durability for Namor? Stabbed in the heart--and teh sword clearly went well into his chest. Then slammed by Blackbolt yelling--not whispering. Then falling from a height that had to be pretty close to orbit. And he was only temporarily unconscious!?! I mean Namor is a durable dude but that all seems beyond normal.

I'm also not sure why Blackbolt would feel like he was willing to help Panther in this. If anything I would think, as a fellow king, that it was something between one king and another, and not for him to be involved in.

@earthsmightiest World War Namor would be awesome!

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie said:

I'm glad I picked this up since I have mostly been reading just New Avengers and would definitely have missed out on some big stuff. It is a little annoying how these various hero factions seem to argue and come together somewhat randomly. Steve in particular seems to have a bigger chip on his shoulder than usual.

I do wonder if Panther has messed it up for everyone else. I mean, are we to believe that Thanos couldn't have teleported himself off?

Also, how about that durability for Namor? Stabbed in the heart--and teh sword clearly went well into his chest. Then slammed by Blackbolt yelling--not whispering. Then falling from a height that had to be pretty close to orbit. And he was only temporarily unconscious!?! I mean Namor is a durable dude but that all seems beyond normal.

I'm also not sure why Blackbolt would feel like he was willing to help Panther in this. If anything I would think, as a fellow king, that it was something between one king and another, and not for him to be involved in.

Black Bolt after Infinity has been weakeaned (because of the terrigen mist explosion that he unleashed) so his voice isn't as powerful as it used to be. Also there is a reason why Black Bolt would help BP in killing Namor, the first one is that Namor obliged Black Bolt to kill his brother Maximus because he made him a part of the Cabal (at least this is what I think). Also it wouldn't be strange to think that Black Bolt thought that Namor deserved to die

Wardemon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Reading

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By illmatic4177

This was awesome. Kind of feel like Namor got a raw deal since he was being controlled by Phoenix, but he was kind of a prick about it. Of course thats why I like him lol. But anything short of this ending would have felt like a cop out, and lessened Black Panther's character. Although we all know Namor will be back eventually, this was still great. This run is legendary.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tensor

From they saw Namor leaving you know they are not Dead.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By eamon542000

@black_arrow: Even if Namor and Cabal survive it doesn't take away from how badass a moment that was with Black Panther. A common complaint I have with Marvel Events is that the fallout isn't that impactful but the the back and forth between Namor and T'Challa since AVX has been fantastic!

esparza3368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is kind of bull, looks like Marvel is killing off mutants left and right. First Wolverine, now Namor, and coming up is Deadpool. And if they are not doing that they are changingn their origins - Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. What's next Magneto gets wasted after only 10-20 issues in the latest novel? X-Men die heroically in the upcoming Secret Wars? No more mutants at the conclusion of the Secret Wars, or all the surviving mutants get retconned as Inhumans and/or mutates and end up in various teams like the New Warriors and Avengers?

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 owie  Moderator

@owie said:

Black Bolt after Infinity has been weakeaned (because of the terrigen mist explosion that he unleashed) so his voice isn't as powerful as it used to be. Also there is a reason why Black Bolt would help BP in killing Namor, the first one is that Namor obliged Black Bolt to kill his brother Maximus because he made him a part of the Cabal (at least this is what I think). Also it wouldn't be strange to think that Black Bolt thought that Namor deserved to die

If his voice has been weakened, that helps make that much more believable. I'm glad to hear that.

I can buy the idea that Black Bolt is involved because Maximus is part of the Cabal. On the other hand Black Bolt was working with Maximus not that long ago. I guess I don't see why Black Bolt would help Panther while the other Illuminati don't.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: Even if Namor and Cabal survive it doesn't take away from how badass a moment that was with Black Panther. A common complaint I have with Marvel Events is that the fallout isn't that impactful but the the back and forth between Namor and T'Challa since AVX has been fantastic!

I never said that it won´t be a badass moment but it may be one that he regrets.

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@illmatic4177: Don't forget the actions he took during Infinity, sending Proxima Midnight and company back to Wakanda again to rage war. Namor screwed over Wakanda twice!

DJCG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!! That was such a bad ass moment. Kudos to Hickman for also dealing with issues in a way that made sense in the context of the book, no random deus ex machina

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: I had doubt so I searched again if he was fully healed and I found out that Black Bolt managed to fully heal himself after that. So that part still doesn't make any sense (Maybe Black Bolt held himself back).

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 owie  Moderator

@owie: I had doubt so I searched again if he was fully healed and I found out that Black Bolt managed to fully heal himself after that. So that part still doesn't make any sense (Maybe Black Bolt held himself back).

Hm. If they only had him whisper--just do enough to knock him off the ship instead of really trying to blast him, that would have been better.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@black_arrow: O for sure it will be! Can't wait for the fallout of this

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

"When you see my brother Maximus...tell him FAREWELL!"

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Tony_Shark
The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther portrayal here is getting me hyped for his movie!!!!

Fingers crossed he is as badass there like he is currently

BrockRumlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BrockRumlow

I used to be a really big Cap fan, but throughout this storyline, he has been a real D!(K.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I'm almost sold on picking this up in trades. Can someone give me the best jumping-in point please?

DJCG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brockrumlow: Fixed "I used to be a really big Cap fan, but throughout this storyline, he has been a real D!(K. Tony Stark"

But yea Cap has been a little boorish about the whole thing, maybe side effect of mindwiping

DJCG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DJCG

@cave_duck: You have to read both Avengers and New Avengers to get the full story, and personally I feel like you have to start with #1 on each, and read Infinity to get it all. Hickman definitely likes to play the long game, and there's alot of moving parts

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djcg:

Oh ok, stupidly I was hoping for a simple way to read a complex plotline... Thanks though, I'm off to update my Comixology wishlist.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#47  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
No Caption Provided

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By illmatic4177

@jaybefre: True, but that was after the Wakandans massacred Atlantis no?

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cabal ain't goin nowhere

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I have a lot of questions about this, it was a pretty fun read.