Which drawing tablet? Help appreciated.

Avatar image for lasttitan
LastTitan

12

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LastTitan

I'm deciding between the http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Splash-Tablet-CTL471/dp/B0089VGPII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351323407&sr=8-1&keywords=bamboo+splash and the http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Capture-Tablet-CTH470/dp/B005HGBEZ2/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351323466&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=bamboo+scapture.

The Bamboo Splash vs the Bamboo Capture

They have the same drawing space, same pressure sensitivity, etc. There is only three differences that I care about A) The Splash is twenty bucks cheaper sometimes thirty depending on where I get it.

B) The Splash's included software is more geared to the Artist while the Capture is for Photo Editing. C) The Capture has multi-touch, but I heard that you can still do all the same stuff with the Splash just with the pen. Help would be appreciated, not sure what to get.

And for the record can't go past the 100 dollars the Capture is worth, I'm on a budget. So no Intuos, Cintiq, or Bamboo Create, etc. Thanks.

Avatar image for dbennett6684
Dbennett6684

204

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Dbennett6684

I looked at the same two-I initially thought the capture was better because it was more expensive, but I read an article stating that the actual tablet/pen is the same in both-the software suite is the only difference. I bought the splash and have really enjoyed it. I like autodesk sketchbook express that comes with it-I've started using it to do pencils and inks, then using paint.net to color. I'm all about free/cheap if it gets the job done!

Avatar image for lasttitan
LastTitan

12

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By LastTitan

@Dbennett6684 said:

I looked at the same two-I initially thought the capture was better because it was more expensive, but I read an article stating that the actual tablet/pen is the same in both-the software suite is the only difference. I bought the splash and have really enjoyed it. I like autodesk sketchbook express that comes with it-I've started using it to do pencils and inks, then using paint.net to color. I'm all about free/cheap if it gets the job done!

I got the Capture. I know the specs are the same, but I really wanted that multi-touch. To me it was worth the extra twenty dollars. But I can completely understand where you are coming from, as price was a big concern for me.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

21616

Forum Posts

23390

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I would have gone with the Splash, but the Capture is fine too.

Avatar image for revamp
ReVamp

23014

Forum Posts

8330

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By ReVamp

Additional question:

Both tablets don't have an eraser? How big of a concern is this? Couldn't you technically paint with "white" over it? Or would this mean that any line drawn is going to be there permanent (something I find highly unlikely, but I have absolutely no experience with tablets. Never even seen one, lol).

Probably a stupid question, but an answer is appreciated.

Avatar image for lasttitan
LastTitan

12

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By LastTitan

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

I would have gone with the Splash, but the Capture is fine too.

Well, I haven't actually gotten, I just had decided on it, poor choice of words. But now I am thinking Splash, because the multi-touch is the reason I wanted the Capture. My laptop trackpad is multi-touch and I can use in the same way for the programs. Plus, the Splash comes with ArtRage.

@ReVamp said:

Additional question:

Both tablets don't have an eraser? How big of a concern is this? Couldn't you technically paint with "white" over it? Or would this mean that any line drawn is going to be there permanent (something I find highly unlikely, but I have absolutely no experience with tablets. Never even seen one, lol).

Probably a stupid question, but an answer is appreciated.

What it means is that you can't flip it over and use the back end as an eraser(like a real pencil). But, every program you would use with it has an eraser option, where you click on the eraser option and it erases instead of drawing.

Avatar image for revamp
ReVamp

23014

Forum Posts

8330

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By ReVamp

@Wis: Ah, I figured it was something like that.

Thanks ^__^

Avatar image for dbennett6684
Dbennett6684

204

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Dbennett6684

I don't miss an actual eraser function.

Avatar image for gangtie
gangtie

1

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By gangtie

Wacom products are very well made and hold up well, so a used one will probably just as well as a new one.

As for a beginner, XP-Pen is a great choice. Truth be told my main programs are Krita and GIMP. Krita for drawing and gimp for photo editing . both are free and it works super well and can work with my XP-Pen Deco Pro Drawing Pad .

Just be aware that it'a kind of awkward to start with a tablet even if you're experienced with traditional drawing. Just keep at it and don't give up.