claytonbarton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

You guessed it.

I was in dire need of some creative R&R today, to help me get back into my natural groove… Sometimes it’s the only therapy that’ll work. ?

You know what I’m talking about. When you just need to drop everything you’re supposed to be doing - and use those hard earned skills you’ve been honing over the years to create something that YOU think is really cool – just for you.

This ain’t just any fan art though… this is a special one… It’s a Phantom ? fan art.

I’ve been asked in the past if I’ve ever thought about trying to score a gig working for the big two – aka Marvel or DC. The truth is, even if my abilities did measure up, spending the rest of my career drawing their characters just isn’t my cuppa tea.

But there are one or two characters out there that I’d jump at the chance to illustrate…

The first Comic Book I ever read was a ‘New Story’ of the Phantom, given to me by my Dad to stave off the boredom during his 6 hour long mail run around the country side. He was the only postie in the outback town I grew up in, with acres of farm land between each mail box.

He apologized as we left the News Agent because it wasn’t one of the flashy, well known heroes from the DC or Marvel universe. But I was delighted, because it just so happened that I’d been collecting the Phantom newspaper strips and filling up giant scrap books with them. Now I had an actual Phantom Comic Book - I was stoked!

That’s when I started my Phantom comic book collection.

Ever since I was a kid the Phantom held a special place in my heart. I still remember being drawn into each story, as the Phantom fought against piracy, greed and cruelty in all its forms, with Devil the Wolf and his Horse Hero playing the sidekicks throughout his adventures.

He was and still is one of the most original Comic Book characters I’ve come across. From the backstory, to the setting and the legend surrounding him.

So this piece was kind of a long time coming… and way overdue.

For my fellow hard-core Phantom fans, you might notice I’ve deviated away from his iconic Purple color scheme. This is actually a variant of the Phantom depicted in Scandinavia’s ‘Fantomen’. I opted for this one because I was inspired by the new 12’ Phantom statue I picked up from my local Comic Book shop today.

It’s one of the 300 blue and red variants of the Phantom around the world! How could I resist?… so I counted my pennies and used up all my pocket money to get it – instead of buying new shoes. ?

Everyone seemed to really dig the Spiderman painting tutorial I published a few weeks ago. So I’m going to upload the narrated recording for my ‘Fantomen’ to the HTDC channel once the voice over is done.

I hope you enjoy this piece! Maybe you’ve heard of the Ghost Who Walks… maybe you haven’t. Truth be told he’s likely more popular in your parents, or even your grandparents generation – but I want to give a big shout out to all ya’ll Phantom fans out there with this special tribute.

Now it’s time for me to get back to work on that Character Creator Course I’ve been teasing you with over the last few months… Should have some more previews for you for that coming your way this week too!

Keep on creating Comic art comrades!

-Clayton