Posted by DrF8 (3309 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, guys, i wanted to show you a couple of my newly made drawings. I tried, to make a copy of some pictures of SP1M, All-Star Superman and John Fox as the Flash. I was watching the pictures for some time, then i was ddrawing them, and then comparing. What do you guys think of what i've made?

Superman Prime One Million

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

So, that's my Superman. It's my personal favourite out of all these drawings. But i might be a little biased as i love SP1M and this was the first drawing out of these three. So, yeah, that;s the one.

John Fox as The Flash

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

"Here's Johnny!"

Yeah it's my Flash. I added the little background nonsense, so that the picture doesn't look so empty. It's my favourite Flash costume out of all of them...

All-Star Superman

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Here goes my favourite drawing from Morrison's "All - Star Superman". It just looks so awesome. So i tried to draw it, and that's what i got out of it.

So, that's all for now. I hope you guys enjoyed it. If you think i should really improve something, please, tell me about it in the comments.

#1 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@drfate:

These arts are incredible. Great job friend, you are very talented.

Keep up the good work ^_^

#2 Edited by random_nerd (849 posts) - - Show Bio

Ur abbs. Stop. Ur focusing too much on what you think they should look like and not enough om whats actually in the picture its a photo reference use it(the best example being flash, while he does seem tones a six pack in itself barely shows) and to be honest they are not well done abbs you need better technique there anyway. I have a few other points tocmake but i dont like critisizing art too much because people tend to take it as if im saying what u did was bad, which its not im not saying that you did good i like your pieces but you know hate tovgive the wrong idea.

#3 Posted by DrF8 (3309 posts) - - Show Bio

@random_nerd: i'd like to know what are your other points. I don't mind criticism as i want to draw in a better way. So, if you can, please tell me what are other problems...

#4 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

One great free PDF book I'd suggest you down load is called "Figure Drawing for all it's Worth" by Andrew Loomis.

Like random nerd says you are drawing what you expect will be there rather than what actually is there on the page. A lot of the time artists draw eyes, for instance as though they are () only sideways. MOST EYES AREN'T LIKE THAT. Faces are asymmetrical and most poses wont be symmetrical either. If you want to get the most from drawing published comic art the best thing you could do would be to draw a grid over the image you'd like to copy and then replicate another (empty) grid on another page and transfer the information across square by square. It will really help you to see the smaller components of the artwork. Another option is straight up tracing with tracing paper, carefully observing every line and detail. Although the first way is better because you learn to begin breaking up images into pieces and training your eyes.

Once you've done that the next thing to do is break the drawing down into its original mannequin. The book I mentioned earlier will show you all that stuff. I wish I'd had that book earlier, actually. It's a treasure trove or great advice for artists of all skill levels.

#5 Posted by DrF8 (3309 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by DrF8 (3309 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@drfate: no worries friend , you have well earned the compliments.

#8 Posted by random_nerd (849 posts) - - Show Bio

Well if you really want it i would like to point out for starters that your colpur pallet rn is simply to weak to try for coloured drawings, it would be best in my opinion if you did your drawings mostly in pencil until you can nail it. Despite what some people believe sketching and colouring are two very different sides of art and for a great piece sometimes you need two people. I would personally suggest that as you learn to detail better(which you should) you also learn to shade. Also never be afraid to use a ruler in your drawings it will help with a lot of things. Your muscles all around a bit off. A piece of advice i always try to remember is draw as if the surface your drawing on is there. It will help for example the lightning on flashes chest? Well in your drawing it does straight down as if flash wasnt three dimensional at all, but you'll note that on his body in the photo it seems to curve along his muscles. A few things always worth improving on in srawing people is proportion shading and excruciating detail. Btw hands there is no shame in looking up a tutorial and doodling them whenever you have the chance they are very hard to get quite right and it shows in your art you arent too practiced there. And you'll note you dont actually see all of prime one millions fingers in the original piece but you put it in your art. Theres some things i cam specifically pick apart if you do want to redraw these specific pieces but ivfeel thats not needed.

#9 Edited by DrF8 (3309 posts) - - Show Bio

@random_nerd: thanks very much, i appreciate that. I do agree that i should start to Shade...

Thanks again. I think i'll have to buy a Drawing tutorial.

I usualy draw only with pencils, but this time i tried with some colours. My whole sketchbook is made almost only of art made only with pencils.

Thanks for the advises.

#10 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

No sweat @drfate. I was too lazy to try to find the page when I commented earlier but I'm through the worst of that now. The PDF file can be found here Figure Drawing PDF Link

One other little tip I'm not sure is in the book but if you place the heel of your palm against your chin and reach your hand up over your face you will find that your middle finger will just touch your hair line.

This gives you the relative size for your hands.

General body proportions are covered pretty thoroughly in the book aside from that.

#11 Edited by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@drfate:

So when are we getting more incredible arts from you ?

#12 Edited by DrF8 (3309 posts) - - Show Bio

@fiesty_badger6: oh, thanks. I'll certainly check it out.

@claymore1998: i'm in the middle of my christmas vacation, so i'll be drawing a lot. And maybe some of it will end up here, i'm not sure though.

#13 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@drfate: sounds reasonable. If and when you do post something on the forum would you be kind enough to tag me?

I really enjoy seeing your art ^_^

#14 Posted by DrF8 (3309 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@drfate: thank you. Appreciate that ^_^

And I hope you have an awesome holidays