Public Domain Redesign Contest #10 - The Great Zarro

payno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By payno

For this contest I'd like everyone to have a go at redesigning the character THE GREAT ZARRO.

The man who would become the Great Zarro was an aerielist for a travelling circus billed as "The Eagle-Man".

One day he visited a gypsy who told him his future; she saw him doing great things, that he would have a great tragedy befall him, and that he would fight crime. She ended their session by giving him a box of magical herbs that would help him in his great future. The aerielist took the Gypsy's herbs which endowed him with the power of flight and he became the Great Zarro.   

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Deadline is May 6th.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O

@payno: Plenty of possibilities with this choice.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ARMIV2

What are his powers exactly?

payno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By payno

@ARMIV2: He took some Gypsy herbs which gave him the power of flight.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By tonis

@payno: hehe, I think I ran into these gypsies back at a dead show in the 80's XD

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ARMIV2

@payno said:

@ARMIV2: He took some Gypsy herbs which gave him the power of flight.

Coolio.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ARMIV2

The Great Zarro

No Caption Provided

*Story is a bit long. Sorry 'bout that.

The man once famous as "The Eagle Man" had made a new, more fulfilling life for himself the day he took the gypsy's herbs and became The Great Zarro. He fought for the innocent, defended the weak, and put an end to crime when he came upon it. He had only the one power (flight), but his skills from his circus days coupled with his resolve more than made up for anything anybody else may have felt he lacked. He faithfully performed his heroic tasks while always remembering the words the gypsy spoke to him, about him doing great things and fighting crime, but he wasn't sure of what to make of the ominous warning about a great tragedy befalling him. He had done the great things in his life surely with his days of entertaining the masses with his daredevil stunts, and he was now fighting crime, so where was this great tragedy? Surely, he thought, that he must've bypassed it somehow. He had to have, because he was on top of the world at this point in his life.

It wasn't even a full year, though, when changes began to occur. At first they were small and barely even noticeable, as are the fledgling symptoms of a heart attack. He'd fly home from busting an illegal trade when he would feel a slight pain in his arms; a slight tingle in the legs after taking care of some drug dealers. "Nothing big" he thought, "Just a bit worn out is all". But in just a short passing of time, these slight pains grew in intensity. He began to wonder if maybe he was having some delayed adverse reaction to the herbs. He had sought out the gypsy in an attempt to see if she could diagnose his ailments, but when he arrived at her dwelling she was gone. No clues were left as to where she could have left to, just an eerie silence and a faint glow coming from her crystal ball. When Zarro took a look at the gypsy soothsayer's ball, he saw what looked like a very deep and chilling blue mist from within forming what appeared to be storm clouds. As he looked on for a little bit longer, he could have sworn that he saw red, arcane texts coming from out of the "clouds". He couldn't make out what they said, but he knew that there was something malignant about them. As they became clearer, he felt a tight pain in his chest that gave way to a calm burning sensation. He gripped his chest and made his way back home. The pain however grew in intensity, as it made him disorientated and unfocused.

When he made his way home, he found that it had been ransacked. Furniture smashed, items broken, and various writings, scribbles, and arcane texts littered the walls. This, added with his pain, made him all the more delirious. He made out only so much of the writings, which read to him as threats and/or prophetic nonsense. Everything looked as if it were written in blood.

Was this the great tragedy that was to befall him?

He couldn't think about it anymore. He collapsed after a sharp piercing sensation over took his entire abdominal area. As consciousness left him, he could've sworn that he saw figures approaching him from the darkened corners of his house.

When he came to, he was in a dark chamber of some sort. Torches were lit, and a crystal ball glowed eerily some feet in front of him. He was regaining full consciousness as the light from the ball grew in intensity, which as it happened, figures began to enter the room from both sides. They were clad in a garb reminiscent to "some secret order out of a darker fairy-tale" Zarro said to himself in a faint whisper.

"These guards, I assure you, are from no childhood tale" an deep voice from the darkness in front of him said.

"They are the ancient guards of the Guild of Zar" another, more familiar voice said.

"Gypsy? Is that you? What is thi-"

"This, champion, is the ceremony of the great re-birthing. This is where our master, the Eternal Zar, is to be reborn in the body of the worthy vessel." The deep voice replied.

"Zar...vessel? What are you talking about? Let me loose at once!"

the figures became clearer at this point. He could definitely see that the gypsy was in front of him, dressed in a garb much different than what Zarro had seen her in though. He also saw the man from where the deep voice originated from. He had to have been about 6'4", while he had on a more refined version of the garb the guards were wearing. In between the two was this strange mirror looking object with the archaic text from the crystal ball carved into the sides.

"You were chosen to become the vessel that would home our great Eternal Zar. We have watched you, ranked you in potential, until we knew you were worthy".

"Worthy? You mean...I was selected to become The Great Zarro?!"

"You were the next in a series of noble hosts that have given their beings to allow the Eternal Zar to grow within them and allow him to gain strength. For 600 years, Zar has been growing ever stronger, until the glorious final day when he will have amassed enough power to re-enter this world in his full splendor!"

Zarro was in shock. He couldn't process what he was hearing. He wasn't chosen to become a hero; he was duped into becoming a host for some dark spirit.

"The herbs that I gave you" the gypsy witch went on "allowed for the spirit of the Eternal Zar to adapt to your body. He grew into you and blessed you with the powers you've barely tapped into."

"Barely tapped into?"

"Yes, but you need not worry. Once Zar takes full control of you, you will become apart of a being much greater than anything you could ever imagine. You will join with the other vessels, the other Zarros, to form the Eternal's new body and power!"

That was as much as Zarro wanted to hear. He may have been pawned into becoming the host of some demon, but he would not let his body be used by this cult or by Zar ever again. He silently began to work a way out of his restraints while the ceremony began. Chanting and lights filled the chamber as he began to slide his right arm free. Then, the mysterious mirror object began to shake and illuminate an abyssal green and blue light. The chanting grew louder as a horrible face began to manifest from within.

"I see you, mortal host. Open yourself to me, and become a part of the eternal power that is Zar!"

Smoky tendrils shot out from the mirror/portal right towards Zarro. But as they came, he used his right arm, without even thinking about it, to block the tendrils from entering him via his face. The gypsy and the high priest were thrown into shock at the site, and the chanting guards took back their chants with gasps of disbelief.

"FOOL! How dare you deny the Eternal Zar!"

"From...this...point...on...I...do what I WANT!"

He threw his arm down hard on the ground. This dissipated Zar's reach into him and sent out a shockwave that threw the nearest guards back. This shockwave also tore apart Zarro's arm and left it horribly damaged. As the high priest ordered the guards to restrain "the vessel", Zarro fought them off with a power that he had not possessed before. Energy coursed through him as he struck down each man charging towards him. He had unlocked the power that was within him, but had broken Zar's control from his body. One of the head guards came towards Zarro, but Zarro struck him in the chest, leaving him out cold. As more men assembled, he took various parts of the guards he had beaten and ran off. The gypsy witch screamed at him as he fled.

"You will not succeed! Do you think you're the only Zarro to have "escaped"?! We will find you, Zar will be reborn, and the world will come under his rule!"

Zarro made his way to a window on what looked like the third story of some old cathedral when he heard her screams. He turned his head back for a moment, then jumped out of the structure. As he was, he could only muster enough strength to glide some ways away and onto a nearby building. He took that time to catch his breath and assemble a new costume using what he had picked up from the skirmish. As he did this, he noticed his severely damaged arm and how it seemed to glow. He could feel Zar's presence in it; Zar's attempts at controlling his escaped host body.

"I'm done with you, Zar."

Zarro fitted the head guards arm blade piece over his damaged arm after he placed all the other collected bits on his body. As he went back home to further upgrade his outfit, a blue/green mist began to ventilate from out his arm.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tonis

@ARMIV2: very sweet design and origin, he looks totally bad ass :)

I went with the acrobat look, not too drastic a change from the original. Had to throw Rags in there as well.

The Great Zarro & Rags
The Great Zarro & Rags
ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ARMIV2

@tonis said:

@ARMIV2: very sweet design and origin, he looks totally bad ass :)

I went with the acrobat look, not too drastic a change from the original. Had to throw Rags in there as well.

The Great Zarro & Rags
The Great Zarro & Rags

Thanks! Yours looks great as well!

Loving the way you updated the duds while keeping 'em like the originals.

payno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By payno
No Caption Provided
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tonis

@payno: a cowl, THAT'S what he needed! Most excellent design and I wished I'd seen it before starting mine. I kept feeling like something was missing and debated adding a cape but opted not to. Seeing it with the cowl is spot on.

awesome emblem as well :)

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ARMIV2

Man, that re-design is AWESOME! Great work as always.