Public Domain Character Redesign Contest # 5

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ARMIV2

Seeing that I won the previous contest, I have selected the new subject for this new round.

The character this time around is a guy known as Nightmare.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
nightmare
nightmare

With no known powers, Nightmare and his sidekick Sleepy strike fear into the heart of the criminal underworld with their wrestling skills and fierce costume...well Nightmare's skeleton duds anyway.

Deadline: December 30th now. The 15th is too far away.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O

@ARMIV2: Very interesting choice!

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By MetropolisKid41

Interesting choice indeed, can't help but feel that his costume was very inspired by another certain character :P

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ARMIV2

@Decept-O said:

@ARMIV2: Very interesting choice!

Thank you.

@MetropolisKid41 said:

Interesting choice indeed, can't help but feel that his costume was very inspired by another certain character :P

Which costume?

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Can see a lot of good stuff coming from this one.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MetropolisKid41

@ARMIV2: His costume that looks like Batman and his sidekick's costume looks like Robin. The skeleton looking costume reminds me of the Atomic skull.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ARMIV2

@MetropolisKid41 said:

@ARMIV2: His costume that looks like Batman and his sidekick's costume looks like Robin. The skeleton looking costume reminds me of the Atomic skull.

Ah.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ARMIV2

To get things a-rollin'...

Tried to get better quality, but so far that isn't happening...
Tried to get better quality, but so far that isn't happening...

Couldn't decide on which one to remake, so I went for two and tried to think of a way for the two to come together. The garb on the left would be Bob White's original wrestling gear from back in the day when he was a full-time wrestler. A proud and strong man, he fought with such sincerity and passion that nothing could ever get in the way of him and victory. This doesn't sit well with some corporate big-shot behind the scenes after Bob refuses to throw a match, so this guy sends out for Bob to get the ax in figurative terms. But the encounter with "Richy-McEvilerton"'s thugs surprisingly doesn't kill ol' Bob, and he manages to get taken to the hospital via assistance from his long time pal/wrestling tag-team partner "Sleepy" (famous for his signature unbreakable sleeper hold). Sleepy offers his place to Bob so he can recuperate from the ordeal, but it's only about a week and a half until Bob goes missing somewhere. With Sleepy and other close friends and family worried, the rich bad guy is enjoying the "good" life until somebody (or thing) crashes his pad and makes minestrone out of him and his henchmen.

Sleepy hears about the attack on the news and is interested in the story for reasons being that he knew the jerk once, as did Bob, and that the description of the attacker's size and moves used sort of match Bob's. The victims are left alive, but horribly traumatized. There are no other clues in the case other than a note left behind saying the words "You'll be seeing this in your nightmares for a long time. I'm dead sure of that".

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

HC, those are awesome, the second one I would not want to see on a crowded street in the middle of the day much less a dark alleyway.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ARMIV2

@Donovan Montgomery said:

HC, those are awesome, the second one I would not want to see on a crowded street in the middle of the day much less a dark alleyway.

Heh-heh!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Decept-O

@ARMIV2: The second one is a bit more like the original one but with some new tweeks you added. I'd go with that one but that's just my opinion. Looks good.

SteveRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SteveRodgers

@ARMIV2: i really like your design, its so different yet so similar at the same time

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LeeThomasART
No Caption Provided
ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ARMIV2

@Decept-O said:

@ARMIV2: The second one is a bit more like the original one but with some new tweeks you added. I'd go with that one but that's just my opinion. Looks good.

Thank you!

@SteveRodgers said:

@ARMIV2: i really like your design, its so different yet so similar at the same time

Cool!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By tonis

great stuff so far.

While doing some research on the character I stumbled across a website that has the issues where Nightmare appeared for reading, very useful for reference.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ARMIV2

@tonis said:

great stuff so far.

While doing some research on the character I stumbled across a website that has the issues where Nightmare appeared for reading, very useful for reference.

That is very useful! Thank you for sharing that with us!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tonis

This is an interesting PD character to research, it amazes me that DC went after Fawcett for Captain Marvel being like Superman but somehow this character slipped by totally becoming a Batman copy. (probably because he didn't stick around for very long)

Even so though, I liked the concept, he's actually scarier looking with the skeleton theme and has a pretty intimidating name :)

Nightmare & Sleepy
Nightmare & Sleepy
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Decept-O

@LeeThomasART: That's pretty wild. A photo manipulation I take it? Spooky. I like spooky. @tonis: Now that's a real nice take. Nightmare is looking translucent. Love the color choices on both but Nightmare's blue and black really stand out.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tonis

@Decept-O: thanks man, I was trying to think of how to incorporate the skeleton look without it looking like it was just painted on a costume and kind of came up with this idea of making it like a marble with a skeleton inside of it. That would freak out the criminal element :)

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Decept-O

@tonis: It is a great idea. Definitely would freak anybody out. Give them....nightmares. Bwa Ha Ha...*cough* sorry, bad pun.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LeeThomasART

@Decept-O said:

@LeeThomasART: That's pretty wild. A photo manipulation I take it? Spooky. I like spooky.

The character itself is a paint using photos for reference for the pose and the background is photo manipulation.

DBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DBed

I haven't been around in a while... but I will most definitely be participating this time around!!!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Decept-O
No Caption Provided

EDIT:

In a twist of fate, the vigilante known as Nightmare comes close to dying but is saved by a mysterious mystical entity. This entity then imbues Nightmare with the ability to induce vivid hallucinatory visions in his enemies and can also phase through solid objects, and now has the power of flight. Nightmare does not yet realize but he is actually the pawn of a demon whose intentions he will soon learn in a fateful way....

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tonis

@Decept-O: sick rendition, running into that would give one nightmares :)

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ARMIV2

@Decept-O said:

No Caption Provided

Haven't written up a bio yet but here is my version of Nightmare.

Oh snap!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Decept-O

@tonis: Thanks! I hope so. @ARMIV2: Thanks!

Blizaga101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Blizaga101
No Caption Provided

in my redesign, nightmare originally is just a regular vigilante similiar to batman, until one of his rescue missions results in the death of a young girl. This girl was a member of a gypsy family. The grandmother deeply angered by the loss cursed nightmare to be possesed by an evil creature that lurks within peoples dreams. Now nightmare is the host of a nightmare demon. This gives him two forms his human and demon form where he looks like the demon in the picture. The transformation can be painful and can happen at any time.

Nightmare originally had no powers but with the demon he is able to control blue fire which burns people souls and minds and can crate illusions of twisted dark monsters. He also recieves super strength flight, intangibilty and shadow transportation. When the demon is in control these powers are much more powerful.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ARMIV2

@Blizaga101 said:

No Caption Provided

in my redesign, nightmare originally is just a regular vigilante similiar to batman, until one of his rescue missions results in the death of a young girl. This girl was a member of a gypsy family. The grandmother deeply angered by the loss cursed nightmare to be possesed by an evil creature that lurks within peoples dreams. Now nightmare is the host of a nightmare demon. This gives him two forms his human and demon form where he looks like the demon in the picture. The transformation can be painful and can happen at any time.

Nightmare originally had no powers but with the demon he is able to control blue fire which burns people souls and minds and can crate illusions of twisted dark monsters. He also recieves super strength flight, intangibilty and shadow transportation. When the demon is in control these powers are much more powerful.

This is a very awesome entry. Well done!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Decept-O

@Blizaga101: Very good job, man, very good job. Love the story you have written up.

SteveRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SteveRodgers

@Blizaga101: that is amazing, great

@Decept-O: i like the color in yours. it really works well

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Decept-O

@SteveRodgers: Thank You. Glad you like the colors.

frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By frischdvh
No Caption Provided

Terry Wake was a radio astronomer working for a satellite station of the Seti Institute. He was also a consultant producer on film and television dealing with the subject of aliens. His specific job was to design protocols for human interaction between aliens and humans should the need arise.

In 2011 NASA basically closed down. Federal budget cutting also hit the Seti Institute. With funding unstable, Wake looked to soon join the ranks of the unemployed. The only way he could save his job was, if there was a real need for it, if alien life was proven to exist. He then got a crazy idea, he was going to give birth to this alien life.

Terry consulted with his long time friend Scott Dunn. Dunn was a special effects and prop maker for Hollywood. Terry explained his idea and they went to work on creating their xeno. They set up a full body costume with Terry playing the alien. As they were filming , they happened upon a mugging. Terry instinctively intervened and surprised the would-be assailants. As they fled, one of the burgulars shot Terry in the chest. Terry was bruised, but okay.

The next day, the two awoke to cell phone footage of the mugging burning the internet lines faster than any viral video. News was spreading like wildfire. Terry and Scott couldn’t be happier. They knew the alien needed to be seen more. They knew they were going to have to ramp up production. Two things stood in their way. 1.) The alien was going to have to be more physical. 2.) Terry couldn’t be the alien anymore, because he would be consulted about how to approach it.

The answer was found in Scott Dunn’s brother-in-law Robert “The Sandman” White, a former army ranger, police officer, and retired MMA champion. When they told Robert their plan, he said he was in….as long as they kept fighting bad guys.

Terry went to work on the intellectual dynamic of the alien; a language, history, and a full anthropological make-up. Scott and Robert redesigned the suit to include weapons and armor better suited to fighting criminals. They also added S.L.E.E.P.(Synthetic Life Experimental Exoskeleton Prosthetic) to the suit in the form of a tail. It operated on an artificial Intelligence that read the alpha waves of the suit’s wearer. This way, it made instinctive movements as the wearer did.

Their first outing was a success. The three had learned the language and communicated in it lest someone pick up their signal. The alien came out of a suit induced fog amidst the finale of a bank robbery. The alien manhandled the suspects and sprayed them with a sort of toxin. Then he left stopping only when someone asked what he was. He answered “Not from here”, but due to the speaker converter in his mask, it sounded like he said Nightmare. And so the public dubbed him, The Nightmare. When interviewed, the police made note of the mild catatonic shock the suspects were in. Drug tests later confirmed the source was a pheromone hallucinogen, but not one they had encountered before.

THE ARMOR:

The armor is comprised of 7 layer Kevlar able to withstand sharp, blunt, and small automatic gunfire. It contains an air filtration system and rebreather. The goggles allow for Infrared Ultraviolet, 360 heads up display, microphone, 2 way radio, and telescopic vision. There are glands on the costume that secrete synthesized versions of MeO-DMT and bufotenin. When in contact with skin, it can cause hallucinogenic effects. The suit also emits a low dosed spray of LSD mixed with GHB. It results in a catatonic trance for his victims. SLEEP can act and think on its own, usually in a prehensile defensive posture.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ARMIV2

@FrischDVH said:

No Caption Provided

Terry Wake was a radio astronomer working for a satellite station of the Seti Institute. He was also a consultant producer on film and television dealing with the subject of aliens. His specific job was to design protocols for human interaction between aliens and humans should the need arise.

In 2011 NASA basically closed down. Federal budget cutting also hit the Seti Institute. With funding unstable, Wake looked to soon join the ranks of the unemployed. The only way he could save his job was, if there was a real need for it, if alien life was proven to exist. He then got a crazy idea, he was going to give birth to this alien life.

Terry consulted with his long time friend Scott Dunn. Dunn was a special effects and prop maker for Hollywood. Terry explained his idea and they went to work on creating their xeno. They set up a full body costume with Terry playing the alien. As they were filming , they happened upon a mugging. Terry instinctively intervened and surprised the would-be assailants. As they fled, one of the burgulars shot Terry in the chest. Terry was bruised, but okay.

The next day, the two awoke to cell phone footage of the mugging burning the internet lines faster than any viral video. News was spreading like wildfire. Terry and Scott couldn’t be happier. They knew the alien needed to be seen more. They knew they were going to have to ramp up production. Two things stood in their way. 1.) The alien was going to have to be more physical. 2.) Terry couldn’t be the alien anymore, because he would be consulted about how to approach it.

The answer was found in Scott Dunn’s brother-in-law Robert “The Sandman” White, a former army ranger, police officer, and retired MMA champion. When they told Robert their plan, he said he was in….as long as they kept fighting bad guys.

Terry went to work on the intellectual dynamic of the alien; a language, history, and a full anthropological make-up. Scott and Robert redesigned the suit to include weapons and armor better suited to fighting criminals. They also added S.L.E.E.P.(Synthetic Life Experimental Exoskeleton Prosthetic) to the suit in the form of a tail. It operated on an artificial Intelligence that read the alpha waves of the suit’s wearer. This way, it made instinctive movements as the wearer did.

Their first outing was a success. The three had learned the language and communicated in it lest someone pick up their signal. The alien came out of a suit induced fog amidst the finale of a bank robbery. The alien manhandled the suspects and sprayed them with a sort of toxin. Then he left stopping only when someone asked what he was. He answered “Not from here”, but due to the speaker converter in his mask, it sounded like he said Nightmare. And so the public dubbed him, The Nightmare. When interviewed, the police made note of the mild catatonic shock the suspects were in. Drug tests later confirmed the source was a pheromone hallucinogen, but not one they had encountered before.

THE ARMOR:

The armor is comprised of 7 layer Kevlar able to withstand sharp, blunt, and small automatic gunfire. It contains an air filtration system and rebreather. The goggles allow for Infrared Ultraviolet, 360 heads up display, microphone, 2 way radio, and telescopic vision. There are glands on the costume that secrete synthesized versions of MeO-DMT and bufotenin. When in contact with skin, it can cause hallucinogenic effects. The suit also emits a low dosed spray of LSD mixed with GHB. It results in a catatonic trance for his victims. SLEEP can act and think on its own, usually in a prehensile defensive posture.

Oh man this is too awesome! Great job on it!

And just a heads up for everyone else, this contest's deadline is tomorrow at 8:00 p.m., so get 'em in while you can!

Judging begins on Saturday.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Decept-O

@FrischDVH: Pretty wild, good work man. Very unique and I like it.

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Constantine

All very amazing pieces! :)

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ARMIV2

Alright people, the contest is now closed to any more entries.

The Judging begins tomorrow!

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By Daveyo520

Nice job guys.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points