ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat

Please scroll all the way down

Okay so, I've been drawing a lot lately and I rather enjoy it now. Problem is that I've run out of ideas on what to draw, and everything I can think of isn't really a challenge to me anymore. I want to be challenged when it comes to my drawing, it's the only way I can improve. So I thought of a good idea where I post my drawings here, and you guys can do me a favour.

Can you guys please rate my drawings? Also if you guys can throw an idea my way so I can try to draw it?

Thank you much appreciated

Here's my first piece. Rate /10 ?

personally I feel like I've improved quite a bit since this piece, but this is the only drawing I thought I should upload.
personally I feel like I've improved quite a bit since this piece, but this is the only drawing I thought I should upload.

Avatar image for lord_adamantium
Lord_Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Lord_Adamantium

7.25/10.

you definitely have natural talent and will be a great artist if you keep at it. You just need to work on your fundamentals.

• You should get some books or watch some youtube videos on drawing bodies/anatomy and proportions.
  • Your feet a too small.
  • Your thighs are too long and calves too short.
  • You need to work on your hands as well.
  • The waist is a bit too narrow on supes also.

Your strong points are your faces which are good but need depth and definition/shading.

Idea: Try drawing a Blade/Wolverine amalgam?

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6,5/10

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_adamantium: Thank you for replying!! Yeah I did this free hand, I dont really copy other art because I don't see how it'd help me improve. Thanks for the pointers I'll definitely keep them in mind when I draw again. What books do you recommend, if you don't mind? LOL hands are a pain in the ass XD

Thanks again!

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope: any pointers you can give, please?

Lord_Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_adamantium: Thank you for replying!! Yeah I did this free hand, I dont really copy other art because I don't see how it'd help me improve. Thanks for the pointers I'll definitely keep them in mind when I draw again. What books do you recommend, if you don't mind? LOL hands are a pain in the ass XD

Thanks again!

You are very welcome friend. You have a lot of natural ability. You are very welcome for the pointers and I respect you a great deal for handling them with such grace.

Honestly I would recommend you reading any Marvel and DC comics with John Byrne as the artist (google his work if you aren't familiar). He is, in my opinion, probably the best comic book artist ever, especially his Avengers and X-men runs.

I know hands are tough. You can do it though just stay persistent :D

You are very welcome and good luck! I can't wait to see your art evolve. You are really talented and I can see you being a solid 8/10 artist with 6-9 months of diligent practice and learning. You would benefit from taking some classes/courses also.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to rate you by number since there are too many unknown factors about you. I will ask some of them however.

• How old are you?
  • How long have you been seriously drawing?
  • Have you had any training outside of a high school art class?

Lord Adamantium hit on some good points and some good specifics, and I'll expand on those but I'll give you a compliment or two as well.

Compliments:

• You have a decent sense of form. While it needs work, you have a good overall idea of how an overall form goes together without getting lost in the details...this is a good thing.
  • General anatomy. Your anatomy isn't bad...especially in relation to overall form. What I mean is you basically seem to understand how the muscular system goes together and how it interacts over bones. You DO need work here, but you seem to get the basic idea. This is a very good thing.
  • The little bit of foreshortening you have in this is decently effective.

Criticisms. Honestly, Lord Adamantium hit most of these, I only have a few to add. These are mostly small tips/tricks for drawing figures...mainly comic book cartoon figures...though I think you need more work on the BASICS, I'll add them anyway.

• You have Superman's left foot cut off at the ankle. You should never cut off a figure at any joint, it makes the figure look incomplete (don't ask me why, it just works that way). It's okay to cut the figure off at say...mid upper arm, mid calf, but not at the elbow or knee. Trust me, a comic editor will kick back a page if you have a figure doing this without a GOOD reason, or unless your Rob Liefield or something and you're pulling in a lot of money.
  • Your anatomy on Superman's head is pretty darn close to anatomically correct. HOWEVER, in comics (especially with heroes), they typically make male heads a bit smaller and shoulders and chests a bit bigger to give them a larger, more "heroic" appearance. Wonder Woman is also pretty close, but again with "heroic proportions" they typically make the neck a bit longer, and the torso a bit longer than realistic,

This being said. I'd concentrate more on getting the basic anatomy of human figures right first. It's much better (and easier) to exaggerate a correct human figure than the other way around.

Suggestions:

• Like Lord Adamantium suggested. Get some drawing books (the Burne Hogarth series of "Dynamic" drawing books are a favorite but can be expensive, and there are about 8 of them, but ANY decent figure drawing book will help), and there are a LOT of good Youtube tutorials out there as well. As boring as they are actually DOING the tutorials and exercises will CHANGE YOUR WORLD as an artist. I know just sitting down and drawing is WAY more fun, but if you want to be a SERIOUS artist there simply is no substitute for putting in the work.
  • DRAW FROM LIFE. You can't just draw from comics if you want to be a serious artist. Get magazines, pictures of real people (not always muscular, good looking people) from the internet. If you need to draw a picture of a car or building? Get a picture of a car or building. I can't stress this enough.

ON THE OTHER HAND.

If you're just doing this for fun. Keep doing what you're doing. (Depending on your age and training) You have a decent set of skills and some actual talent, you're doing well.

However, if you're younger and really wanting to be any kind of serious artist...try STARTING with some of the things suggested and then DEFINITELY try and get some art classes, maybe even get into art school. You seem to have the potential.

Avatar image for ultimate_knight
Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ultimate_Knight

@itouchedtheboat: Ohh...you run out of people to draw? What if people like me make requests? Would you be interested?

Since you asked for it...

The feet seem rather small from both characters. Superman's right leg seems to long and too twisted for the pose making it seem "awkward" a little. Wonder Woman's thighs seem too big and longer than the area below the knee. They are roughly equal in length from my perspective.

It is okay though. Legs are arguably the hardest and most frustrating part to perfect in drawing humans in my point of view, as I have a lot of difficulty with it as well.

Superman's underwear area seems to show a bulge on the right leg upper area.

Wonder Woman's torso is good for the most part, but the shading on the belly make it seem out of place.

Superman's torso is pretty okay when I think of you trying to make your own art style, but from another perspective, the belly part of the torso got too small.

Arms are pretty good and those hands get the same compliment.

Heads are pretty solid in my point of view and me thinks you spent the most time with, but minor nitpick: Wonder Woman seems to have no pupils. Maybe it was intended?

Cape seems okay and both cape and hair flow in the same direction. Just pointing out how I thought it was getting "minor details" right.

I would highly compliment your shading. It is pretty good from what I am seeing and I am no good at that and will be useful in enhancing the linework's beauty.

The artwork seems to be based on the artwork below by Jim Lee.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5a/e8/14/5ae8148ee61a5898250b92d66ae875db.jpg

Kind of glad you did not outright seemed to try and copy every detail from Mr. Lee's artwork. It is good you did your own thing in my point of view.

What I got is that you seemed to rely on looking at pictures and trying to replicate it with your own hand.

I do not really like art like that in my point of view. It seems like the same thing. Roughly the same anatomy or same pose, just in a different filter or something (which can be easily done given technology these days).

Like I see a lot of doom artwork based on his 2016 video game cover. I see a lot of "the same" artwork of him holding his shotgun and looking at you. It seems like a rehash to me and the people who illustrate those seem to focus on trying to replicate the boxart's anatomy and everything else in their own twist instead of thinking of another way to illustrate Doomguy.

I like it when the artist draws something and is not basing all details of the artwork on a single artwork, but based on the character and his/her world instead. It gives you more freedom and ideas to play with than one artwork.

But anyway...trying to replicate an image is kind of basic, but I think it is okay for you. Starting with small steps will eventually get you to a point wherein you can make your own work based on what is in your head and not one picture you look at while illustrating.

You should also try making guidelines before refining the entire work.

I give your artwork a 6.9/10. Good job.

Oh...and I think you should also show you other artwork and not only your best. Your more consistent artwork.

"Strive for progress. Share your progress, not perfection."

Just something I made up based on a quote I saw in school.

All of what I said is in my perspective only.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I realise this is a weird request but could you try drawing the following creature based on this description:

"vaguely skeletal in shape, with unnaturally long limbs that sprouted from granite shoulders. The eyes were deep red spots on the arrowhead face." It had "riblike protrusions from its chest" and its "hand was as long as a man was tall." The beasts had "ripped themselves free of the stone to join the fray"

There's no wrong answer since I can't find any artwork of it on the web but if you'd be willing to give it a shot I'd be very grateful!

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

Others have covered the critiques as good or better than I ever could, and it's very impressive that you can take criticism well. That's how creative folks improve and it's great to see you seeking out peers for constructive help and suggestions. Keep doing that!

I just want to say "well done". These are a really strong start and it's plain to see you're extremely gifted. Now you just need to get some education and hone those natural abilities and you could honestly be a pro (if that's a goal of yours). Good luck and always remember that practice is the difference between a good artist who does their art as a hobby and a pro who does what they love for a living.

Practice practice practice!

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat

@iara: dude, that suggestion is lit! I'd draw it tonight and post tomorrow, it that cool? Thanks for that man, I'm honestly uncharacteristicly excited to draw that XD

Thank you all for your advice and tips! What would you guys rate artists like Greg Capullo and Ed Benes? just curious :)

I also drew the character LordAdamantium suggested.

No Caption Provided
i messed up on the right shoulder, I know...i know

kinda look like lobo doesn't he? lol

@heroup2112 said:

I'm not going to rate you by number since there are too many unknown factors about you. I will ask some of them however.

• How old are you?

I'm 20

• How long have you been seriously drawing?

I guess you can say I've been doing it seriously for 2 and a half years now. A little bit after I graduated highschool I picked it up as a hobby. I used to draw a lot as a kid, but I stopped when I was 10 picked it up again when I was 18.

• Have you had any training outside of a high school art class?

lol I never took classes at all, aside from doodling on my school work I've drawn inside a class room hahaha.

Criticisms. Honestly, Lord Adamantium hit most of these, I only have a few to add. These are mostly small tips/tricks for drawing figures...mainly comic book cartoon figures...though I think you need more work on the BASICS, I'll add them anyway.

• You have Superman's left foot cut off at the ankle. You should never cut off a figure at any joint, it makes the figure look incomplete (don't ask me why, it just works that way). It's okay to cut the figure off at say...mid upper arm, mid calf, but not at the elbow or knee. Trust me, a comic editor will kick back a page if you have a figure doing this without a GOOD reason, or unless your Rob Liefield or something and you're pulling in a lot of money.

damn, I didnt know that was important. Now that I look at it though it does kinda look awkward lol thanks for that, I just cut it out because I didnt feel like drawing another foot LOL

• Your anatomy on Superman's head is pretty darn close to anatomically correct. HOWEVER, in comics (especially with heroes), they typically make male heads a bit smaller and shoulders and chests a bit bigger to give them a larger, more "heroic" appearance. Wonder Woman is also pretty close, but again with "heroic proportions" they typically make the neck a bit longer, and the torso a bit longer than realistic,

hahaha it's funny because I usually draw people with the proportions you've mentioned, but you've just taught me that when I draw 'normal' people I should aim for the proportions i've shown in this picture. I appreciate that.

I kind of just draw for fun, but I feel like it's really something I want to improve myself on. Those books are really in depth, I'll definitely pick them up, thanks for that! I'll start drawing from real life like you suggested, I definitely feel like that'll help me improve, thanks for that.

@ultimate_knight said:

@itouchedtheboat: Ohh...you run out of people to draw? What if people like me make requests? Would you be interested?

absolutely, yeah. Hit me with an idea so i could draw it, because I feel like if others give me something to draw I'll improve more.

For some reason I find drawing legs really difficult, maybe because I dont look at my legs as much as I look at my upper body in the mirror, so maybe I just dont understand the figure of the legs yet. gotta work on that. shading is something I picked up pretty recently, it's still something I'm working on it. If I'm being honest sometimes I dont even do it :P maybe that's why I'm messing up on it hahaha. Nope, WW was meant to have pupils, I just didn't do it properly I guess. That's pretty insane you found that pic, I never really copied it I drew this piece when I was at home watching tv, I must've subliminally tried copying it from memory since I do admire Jim Lee's art most times. I don't copy work for the same reason you listed, I also don't see it helping myself improve as much as drawing from my mind....that's honestly the weirdest thing that you found that LOL. what do you mean by trying to make guidelines before refining the work? Did you mean by starting at the stick figure, and then building the human figure from there? Showing my consistent work and progress is exactly why I made this thread, I appreciate the quote and the rating :)

@lord_adamantium said:

You are very welcome friend. You have a lot of natural ability. You are very welcome for the pointers and I respect you a great deal for handling them with such grace.

lol I uploaded a personal piece of art to the internet, I had to prepare my anus for the worst of the worst criticism. Instead though, I got tons of great reviews and helpful tips, so I'm really grateful for that LOL. John Bryne is a great artist! I always admired classic comic art, there's just something different about them.

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat

Thank you! I had to prepare myself for the worst of comment before I uploaded my art on the internet LOL it was actually refreshing to be met with users who were actually giving constructive criticism instead of negative remarks. So reacting to this kind of criticism makes me feel honoured tbh. Practice is exactly why I made this thread, I wanted to explore my skills by drawing things that users could only describe with words, making me have to convert their words into a physical piece is what i think would really help me (as well as what everyone is constructing me to do in this thread of course). I want you to know how much I appreciate your words of encouragement and help, I'll definitely look into getting classes asap :)

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: You're welcome, it's from a book called the Way of Kings if you're interested. It's called a Thundercast if you want to give it a title. Also please take your time with it and then tag me when it's finished! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Lord_Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lord_Adamantium

@itouchedtheboat said:

I also drew the character LordAdamantium suggested.

No Caption Provided

kinda look like lobo doesn't he? lol

@lord_adamantium said:

lol I uploaded a personal piece of art to the internet, I had to prepare my anus for the worst of the worst criticism. Instead though, I got tons of great reviews and helpful tips, so I'm really grateful for that LOL. John Bryne is a great artist! I always admired classic comic art, there's just something different about them.

Nice! Wasn't expecting you to go with old-school Blade but it is really good! He does look like an ultimate universe version of Lobo: LoBro

Your faces and your 3/4 side torsos and shoulders/arms are your strong points.

It took a lot of courage to show your work and open yourself up to critiques for sure.

I agree and John Byrne is my all-time favorite. Yes there is something about the older/classic comics before computers and software were used to color and ink etc. They had more depth in my opinion.

I challenge you to read a book/watch a video on drawing proportions and another book/video on hands an feet and practice for a week and then draw an amalgam of Shang Chi and the Black Panther :D

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iara: you said there are no wrong answers... well allow me to introduce you to the official, 'wrong answer'

I hope it fits what you wanted :)
I hope it fits what you wanted :)

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: It looks great! The beauty of books is that no one visualizes something the same way and the description was a bit brief. I love the way you've scaled it. Putting it next to the mountain you get a sense that it is much larger than a human without making it look ridiculous. All the details on the skin look great and I like the way it's walking along menacingly. The rib cage and the hands are also really well done.

Truth by told I pictured more of a rocky, skeletal rhino thing. I think I immediately tried to make it more of an animal in my head because it sounded like a monster. There's nothing in the description, however, to suggest that it isn't relatively human in it's shape. I think you may have exposed one of my own prejudices strangely enough. Anyway, it looks brilliant and this is definitely what I'll picture while I finish the rest of the book!

Also I was wondering what exactly is sticking out in the forest? Is it a large tree or something else?

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iara: Thank you!! I don't think it's your prejudice that made you visualize it differently; rather it's exactly how you said that everybody sees things differently when reading it. I tried making it look rocky too, but I guess I textured it weirdly for it to be hard to tell, but I also imagined it rocky. yeah it's a giant tree sticking out of the forest lol, I watched an old video of Bob Ross and i remembered him putting some giant tree like that in his piece I just thought it was normal LOL

but thank you again!

mountlake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mountlake

I am not much of an artist so I can only give you feedback only from a layman's point of view. The strongest point of your drawing is the anatomy, the structure of your characters are properly defined especially in the first sketch. In the third sketch, the right hand could be a bit smaller and the left hand could be a bit bigger, this would make it look more realistic. But all the three are great sketches and you have done a good work.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: I definitely saw the rocky texture I just didn't know how else to describe what I saw in all honesty. If you got the idea from Bob Ross then it must be good and I guess it does add a bit of character to the environment!

Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimate_knight said:

absolutely, yeah. Hit me with an idea so i could draw it, because I feel like if others give me something to draw I'll improve more.

For some reason I find drawing legs really difficult, maybe because I dont look at my legs as much as I look at my upper body in the mirror, so maybe I just dont understand the figure of the legs yet. gotta work on that. shading is something I picked up pretty recently, it's still something I'm working on it. If I'm being honest sometimes I dont even do it :P maybe that's why I'm messing up on it hahaha. Nope, WW was meant to have pupils, I just didn't do it properly I guess. That's pretty insane you found that pic, I never really copied it I drew this piece when I was at home watching tv, I must've subliminally tried copying it from memory since I do admire Jim Lee's art most times. I don't copy work for the same reason you listed, I also don't see it helping myself improve as much as drawing from my mind....that's honestly the weirdest thing that you found that LOL. what do you mean by trying to make guidelines before refining the work? Did you mean by starting at the stick figure, and then building the human figure from there? Showing my consistent work and progress is exactly why I made this thread, I appreciate the quote and the rating :)

Okay. Can you illustrate "Sunlight on Snow" from Imperium?

Good shading in my eyes. You probably have potential to be good at coloring and shading as well.

I am kind of glad you agree with me on trying to re draw a certain piece.

Yes. Stick figure, mannequin, then refine the drawing then.

Thank you for the appreciation as well, even though the quote is not directly from my mind.

TinyFord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By TinyFord

Cool man

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hey guys! I'm sorry this took very long, but I cut my hand at work and (to spare you from the gory details lol) I wasn't able to draw for that while. My hand has healed since then (Canadian Healthcare ftw lol) and I was able to take on the challenges you had given me :)

Done. I must say; the hardest thing I've drawn in almost my entire life!! thank you :D

It took me a lit hour and a half to see what he looks like, and then draw out a proper pose that looked even remotely proper. I realllllly appreciate this one, cuz it was exactly why I felt like I needed to make this thread.
It took me a lit hour and a half to see what he looks like, and then draw out a proper pose that looked even remotely proper. I realllllly appreciate this one, cuz it was exactly why I felt like I needed to make this thread.

yeah, I always draw from basic stick figures and then go up unless I'm just doodling around on some papers. I have a question though. Do you also find it troubling to erase the stick figure construct without erasing the second layer (body/muscles/clothes/etc.)? Do you have any solutions on how to deal with that? because I hate when I draw the stick figure and then move up to the second part, and accidentally erase a part of the second layer that I had drawn so perfectly.

thanks, that credits goes to me seeing my reflection in the mirror I just see how the upper body and face looks, I'd also think this is why I'm not too great at drawing legs because I cant see my lower body in the mirrors LOL

I challenge you to read a book/watch a video on drawing proportions and another book/video on hands an feet and practice for a week and then draw an amalgam of Shang Chi and the Black Panther :D

K so I did watch a lot of videos, but it was hard to actually practice because I cut my hand at work. Please do be honest with me if I've improved or not, because I need to see if just watching the videos have helped me in any way.

Thank you so much for the challenge! I know his legs are a little (understatement) messed up and out of place. And If his hands look un-proportionate it's because I read this book by Stan Lee and he said how drawing a hero with larger hands while they reach out gives it a more 'Action Packed' look, do you think I should tone it down, or does it look fine?
Thank you so much for the challenge! I know his legs are a little (understatement) messed up and out of place. And If his hands look un-proportionate it's because I read this book by Stan Lee and he said how drawing a hero with larger hands while they reach out gives it a more 'Action Packed' look, do you think I should tone it down, or does it look fine?

Thank you both so very much, again! Also what rating would you guys give artists like Jim Lee, Greg Capullo, and Ed Benes?

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: yeah... I would vote you cut back on the action packed arms... or at least have both similarly sized...

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat
Lord_Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lord_Adamantium

@itouchedtheboat said:

hey guys! I'm sorry this took very long, but I cut my hand at work and (to spare you from the gory details lol) I wasn't able to draw for that while. My hand has healed since then (Canadian Healthcare ftw lol) and I was able to take on the challenges you had given me :)

@ultimate_knight said:

Done. I must say; the hardest thing I've drawn in almost my entire life!! thank you :D

yeah, I always draw from basic stick figures and then go up unless I'm just doodling around on some papers. I have a question though. Do you also find it troubling to erase the stick figure construct without erasing the second layer (body/muscles/clothes/etc.)? Do you have any solutions on how to deal with that? because I hate when I draw the stick figure and then move up to the second part, and accidentally erase a part of the second layer that I had drawn so perfectly.

@lord_adamantium said:

thanks, that credits goes to me seeing my reflection in the mirror I just see how the upper body and face looks, I'd also think this is why I'm not too great at drawing legs because I cant see my lower body in the mirrors LOL

K so I did watch a lot of videos, but it was hard to actually practice because I cut my hand at work. Please do be honest with me if I've improved or not, because I need to see if just watching the videos have helped me in any way.

Thank you both so very much, again! Also what rating would you guys give artists like Jim Lee, Greg Capullo, and Ed Benes?

I like the concept and the drawing and can see that you are pushing your talent with new poses and limb placements and that is great. It really is a nice and interesting drawing and I can see improvement already. Well done!

My only critiques are that the waist is still too narrow, the legs are a bit short especially the shin length, the front arm and hand are a bit too big and the rear arm and hand are a bit too small and the robe is good but could be better and the headband could be a lot better.

You are definitely improving though. In 6 months or so you are going to be awesome

Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_adamantium:

You're welcome (if having difficult challenges is something you like).

I have problems with that sometimes, but I do not know much solutions I am afraid. I think Digital Art kind of removes that dilemma as you can just add multiple layers on your work.

Lord_Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_adamantium:

I have problems with that sometimes, but I do not know much solutions I am afraid. I think Digital Art kind of removes that dilemma as you can just add multiple layers on your work.

You tagged the wrong guy :D

ITouchedTheBoat is the artist.

Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimate_knight said:

@lord_adamantium:

Oops. Sorry. Glad you took it like a champ though. Thank you.

@itouchedtheboat

Lord_Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lord_Adamantium

@ultimate_knight said:
@lord_adamantium said:
@ultimate_knight said:

@lord_adamantium:

Oops. Sorry. Glad you took it like a champ though. Thank you.

@itouchedtheboat

Ah no problem. Yw, anytime.

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only critiques are that the waist is still too narrow, the legs are a bit short especially the shin length, the front arm and hand are a bit too big and the rear arm and hand are a bit too small and the robe is good but could be better and the headband could be a lot better.

yeah, I gotta work on perspective/angles with my drawings. Also, in your opinion, what are the biggest flaws in my anatomy drawing? Just asking so when I pick up the books you recommend I'll know what to focus on more, if it's overall, then I'll just start fresh with my drawings lol.

Also in your opinion, what would you rate artists like Greg Capullo, Jim Lee, and Ed Benes?

lol difficult challenges are the reason I made this thread

Do you use Digital Art? I'm saving up for an iPad Pro (it's much cheaper than a Wacom tablet lol) and a stylus so I dont have to deal with the issue I had before. However from What I've heard digital drawing is a little different and it can throw you off if you're really used to drawing on paper. Thats what I heard

Lord_Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lord_Adamantium

@itouchedtheboat said:
@lord_adamantium said:

yeah, I gotta work on perspective/angles with my drawings. Also, in your opinion, what are the biggest flaws in my anatomy drawing? Just asking so when I pick up the books you recommend I'll know what to focus on more, if it's overall, then I'll just start fresh with my drawings lol.

Also in your opinion, what would you rate artists like Greg Capullo, Jim Lee, and Ed Benes?

The main things thing is your upper/lower body synergy/proportion matching, your waist, and your calf-to-thigh length ratios. Also you need to branch out so you aren't only doing 3/4 side angle shots (which I suspectare your strong points? :D).

You are a really good artist though and a how to draw anatomy book will do wonders and propel you from really good to great.

My rating for the three artists are as follows ( please bear in mind these are professionals so I am harsher on them):

Greg Capullo-7

Jim Lee-7.5

Ed Benes-7.75 (based mostly on his pencils).

John Byrne-10

John Byrne at his best, when he wasn't stretched too thin by doing to many different titles a month, is the greatest comic book artist ever in my opinion.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat:

Do you use Digital Art? I'm saving up for an iPad Pro (it's much cheaper than a Wacom tablet lol) and a stylus so I dont have to deal with the issue I had before. However from What I've heard digital drawing is a little different and it can throw you off if you're really used to drawing on paper. Thats what I heard

Rarely, but I would say I am willing to be taught how to get better at making pieces in that medium. I agree. Drawing digitally is a little different compared to paper, but I say if you are willing to learn and take your time, you should get used to it.

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main things thing is your upper/lower body synergy/proportion matching, your waist, and your calf-to-thigh length ratios. Also you need to branch out so you aren't only doing 3/4 side angle shots (which I suspectare your strong points? :D).

yeah, I feel like that is my strong point as well but I dont like how I subconsciously draw figures in that position without noticing what I'm doing. So on my free time I try to draw figures in different angles and tilts, but it's a hell of a work in progress haha. Is the waist too small for the body? and what do you mean by upper-lower body synergy?

Rarely, but I would say I am willing to be taught how to get better at making pieces in that medium. I agree. Drawing digitally is a little different compared to paper, but I say if you are willing to learn and take your time, you should get used to it.

oh, so you are familiar with the tech? what sorts of equipment do you use (tablet/stylus/app)? I think a YouTube account named DrawWithJazza has some tips on digital art, I dont know for sure though.

Lord_Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_adamantium said:

yeah, I feel like that is my strong point as well but I dont like how I subconsciously draw figures in that position without noticing what I'm doing. So on my free time I try to draw figures in different angles and tilts, but it's a hell of a work in progress haha. Is the waist too small for the body? and what do you mean by upper-lower body synergy?

It is great that you are trying new poses and angles that are not as easy for you. You will be a master artist in no time.

Yes the waist on the Black Panther/Shang Chi is a bit too small. By upper/lower body synergy I mean proportionally as far as the length and thickness of the limbs and the waist transitions. Once you have mastered anatomy you will see marked difference.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like what I'm seeing. Pretty good stuff right now. With time and practice it'll become absolutely phenomenal.

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimate_knight: @lord_adamantium: ok so It's been a little over 4 months now and I know you guys said I should practice for more than 6 months...but I'm a little impatient lol. I bought some books like you guys said, just not the exact ones because they were a little too much unfortunately. I'm not entirely done reading all of them, but I just wanted to show what I can do now so you guys can tell me what I need to focus more on, I just did these today :) thanks again guys. Also if you don't feel like giving input anymore, no hard feelings I still thank you for your past help.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

also @heirtothekingdom I did one of these for you, man ;P can you guess which one? lol

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

@itouchedtheboat: That's really good art! Good job man. Also, you messed up on who should be winning between Superman and Sentry lol!

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat

@heirtothekingdom said:

@itouchedtheboat: That's really good art! Good job man.

Thank you, I appreciate it :) what would you rate them though? /10

Also, you messed up on who should be winning between Superman and Sentry lol!

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: I would say I can see flaws, but my problem is that I do not know how to fix so many of them. These are just personal views:

Superman VS Sentry:

Superman: I like the hair I like the head. Make him seem like middle aged man with how you detail face. Facial expression also great. Shading and extra details are good for me and I would say your strengths.

Everything from head to torso seems pretty good. If i were to nitpick in this area: head to shoulder seem good when I zoom in, but when I zoom out and see entire picture it looks off. Right hand I like, but right forearm seem to go unnaturally thinner. Left forearm also do not seem to connect the left hand and the rest of the left arm anatomically correctly.

Both thighs I say okay, but problem with foreshortening of the lower part of Superman's right leg. Seems too small compared to the thigh.

Superman's Left foot seems very wrong. Seems to be bent impossible angle for human. Superman left shin seem to be in twisted in uncomfortable degree.

Sentry: Head seem okay. I yet again like how you illustrate face. Other than that; Sentry looks like he has hair of rotting corpse. Head seem to far apart from body, which also make neck seem longer. Torso looks flipping good (especially when I zoom in and cut legs apart from view). Details of muscle I say well defined.

Sentry's left arm also good. The way you foreshortened it make it look natural to me. His right arm on the other hand look too long.

I have problem with his hands. His right hand look good, but too big and pointy finger seem twisted to impossible angle. Upper phalange of thumb also seem to thick. Left hand also a little only too big for me, but did better with the fingers. Another concern is joints connecting fingers to hand seem too wide and lower phalange of pinky a bit too thick.

I would say thighs are in good shape and size (with some exception to Sentry's right thigh which look a bit too long and a bit too inflated on the end), but foreshortening the lower knee parts do not look too good. Sentry lower leg parts seem too small. Right foot look okay, but left foot does not seem to connect well to rest of the leg, and toes bent in "weird" position.

Should probably also try twisting pelvis for legs not to look out of place (Also apply to Superman).

Cape: Wind seems to be strong with its blow behind Superman's head. I guess what I will say is that direction of where cape is blown not consistent with Sentry's hair or something. Also looks too small.

Overall: Great shading and adding detail. Problem in foreshortening, and anatomy faced in different angles. Could become good inker or something in comic first. Just an opinion.

Green Lanterns:

Hal: Shading and details I like. Overall head I like. Torso also great, but does not seem to connect to legs well, as if abdomen too long. Arms are good, but right hand seem too big. Thigh good, but a bit too long and shins too thin.

Jessica: Hair is good. Face good. Torso good but shoulders seem to wide. Right hand too big. Left hand okay, but knuckles seem pointy.

Left leg pretty good. Right thigh good, but shin and especially foot seem out of place.

Simon: Probably the overall best you have shown from your post. Everything seems nailed just right. Left arm does seem too thin though.

Overall: Way you draw Jessica and Hal make me think you try to draw Jessica first, then when time to draw Hal, you did not feel like erasing a part of Jessica so try to draw Hal without doing it which make Hal seem little out of place.

I say make rough draft of where to position character(s) first before.

Simon look really good overall.

Like previous artwork; shading and details are great, but foreshortening and size of body parts need work.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimate_knight:the thing you said about Hal and Jessica is spot on lol, I drew her figure first and later on in the drawing I decided to add Hal in, he wasn't initially planned so I tried drawing around her and I messed up. Everything you said makes sense. However I hope I don't sound dumb when I ask this but...what does foreshortening mean?

also what do you mean when you said:

Should probably also try twisting pelvis for legs not to look out of place (Also apply to Superman).

can you elaborate please? I don't understand what that means, thank you

Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat:

what does foreshortening mean?

I just throw that word around without really understanding it as a whole, but from my understanding, it is a technique wherein depending on where objects and body parts are placed and their size, it will give the illusion of how far, how near, or how tilted an object or body part is.

Some examples I have below (though I do not guarantee they are the best kind and explained well):

Iron Giant head look smaller because it is farther. This kind of foreshortening seem a little subtle to me.
Iron Giant head look smaller because it is farther. This kind of foreshortening seem a little subtle to me.
Ninjak's head and left leg big making it close. Ninjak's arms are small making it look far away. Shurikens' different angles and size tell how far/ near or how tilted they are.
Ninjak's head and left leg big making it close. Ninjak's arms are small making it look far away. Shurikens' different angles and size tell how far/ near or how tilted they are.
Bloodshot/Ray Garrison's left fist look bigger compared to head.
Bloodshot/Ray Garrison's left fist look bigger compared to head.
BK-201's knife is obviously under foreshortening. Left hand also bigger than right.
BK-201's knife is obviously under foreshortening. Left hand also bigger than right.
Gilad's head look small. Left leg look bigger since it is near to your sight while right leg look small make it look far.
Gilad's head look small. Left leg look bigger since it is near to your sight while right leg look small make it look far.
Ninja-K's katana go from thin to wide giving illusion it is pointing in front of
Ninja-K's katana go from thin to wide giving illusion it is pointing in front of "camera." Left side of Ninjak's torso and arm bigger also since nearer to your view while right side farther away.
Men lined up go from small to big.
Men lined up go from small to big.
Snake Eyes' right arm look small making it far. Left arm close, but left hand cover the rest of arm since they are not really as wide as hand when directly in front, but bending arm a little will make you see it. Right leg look smaller which means farther away than left.
Snake Eyes' right arm look small making it far. Left arm close, but left hand cover the rest of arm since they are not really as wide as hand when directly in front, but bending arm a little will make you see it. Right leg look smaller which means farther away than left.
People behind Master Chief smaller since far from him.
People behind Master Chief smaller since far from him.
People and objects behind X-O Manowar are far from him since you can tell from the size of people, object, and the path.
People and objects behind X-O Manowar are far from him since you can tell from the size of people, object, and the path.
Drove who got shot nearer to
Drove who got shot nearer to "camera" than Kalam and Gilad. Drove's head bigger than torso since torso bent away from "camera."
"Shelves" farther from camera look smaller.
Kat's entire body smaller than her head due to foreshortening.
Kat's entire body smaller than her head due to foreshortening.
Faith Herbert's lower leg parts look smaller since bent back. Right arm and shoulder smaller because twisted farther from
Faith Herbert's lower leg parts look smaller since bent back. Right arm and shoulder smaller because twisted farther from "camera."
Master Darque's legs look smaller (especially left one).
Master Darque's legs look smaller (especially left one).
Notable ones here s Othinus' right hand and the Gungnir (notice how handle becomes thicker).
Notable ones here s Othinus' right hand and the Gungnir (notice how handle becomes thicker).
Blood trail give good idea of how far Gilad has walked. Right side of Gilad is clearly smaller and abdomen very small since you cannot really see abdomen well in top down views (especially if character is bent forward).
Blood trail give good idea of how far Gilad has walked. Right side of Gilad is clearly smaller and abdomen very small since you cannot really see abdomen well in top down views (especially if character is bent forward).
The car look very small compared to the person on the right side of picture walking.
The car look very small compared to the person on the right side of picture walking.
Ninjak closer to
Ninjak closer to "camera." Roku is farther, but buildings behind her more so.
Kat's head and Raven's leg closest to the
Kat's head and Raven's leg closest to the "camera."
Bear bottle neck look a little thicker (and so is the rest of what can be seen at the bottom) when
Bear bottle neck look a little thicker (and so is the rest of what can be seen at the bottom) when "camera" in a lower angle. Character on the right of the middle bottle look compressed due to round nature of bottle and foreshortening. You can notice similar results when urinating in a urinal and looking at your reflection on shiny flush button.
You can manipulate how far apart buildings are with foreshortening.
You can manipulate how far apart buildings are with foreshortening.
Pathway behind Gilad is long. Based on my interpretation, the smoke trail left by the two drones also seem to use foreshortening.
Pathway behind Gilad is long. Based on my interpretation, the smoke trail left by the two drones also seem to use foreshortening.
Eyes of firemen not visible. Abdomen bigger than chest.
Eyes of firemen not visible. Abdomen bigger than chest.
Kat's legs and top of buildings bigger than bottom end to give illusion it is far.
Kat's legs and top of buildings bigger than bottom end to give illusion it is far.
"Camera" so near Gilad's lower left leg that upper left leg barely visible.
Look at that river...and Sauvage and the flying dinosaurs.
Look at that river...and Sauvage and the flying dinosaurs.
Michaelangelo look too small compared to his brothers because distance from ground and height very different.
Michaelangelo look too small compared to his brothers because distance from ground and height very different.

also what do you mean when you said:

can you elaborate please? I don't understand what that means, thank you

I guess in personal and simpler term pelvis area is the part wherein your briefs covers and is also in the middle of the legs and abdomen.

But thinking about it now, I no longer think the pelvis is the problem: it is Superman's left leg (which to me make pose unfitting). I do not think pelvis can be twisted, only torso by human.

Sentry pelvis okay, but I guess the problem is how and where the legs are attached to the pelvis area.

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_adamantium: @armiv2: @ultimate_knight:Major Throwback lol. Since I made this thread I've been practicing a lot. I was hoping you guys could maybe look at something I did and give some more criticism and show me where I should improve?

If anybody else sees something or wants to chime in you're always welcome! I don't really use this sire very often these days but I just wanted to post these

1. fully rendered (I'm still learning about how to use lighting and stuff)
  2. flats
  3. and black and white

There just seems to be something off about them that I can't put my finger on. Hopefully somebody can help

Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat:

I was hoping you guys could maybe look at something I did and give some more criticism and show me where I should improve?

Maybe inconsistent color value and/or light source or something?

Pose do not seem dynamic enough? Maybe gestures 1st help?

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Solid 7. Good work.

I'm not an artist, so I can't give much constructive criticism, but what I will say is this -- maybe draw your feet a little bigger?

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat:

I was hoping you guys could maybe look at something I did and give some more criticism and show me where I should improve?

Maybe inconsistent color value and/or light source or something?

Pose do not seem dynamic enough? Maybe gestures 1st help?

yeah Im still learning more about lighting, I got a Udemy course on how to apply shading and stuff so hopefully I'll be able to improve on that. And in the future I'll try to make the poses more dynamic, I gues using more references could help with that. Also, I wanted to thank you for all the criticism you gave me those years ago. I've realized I improved a lot mainly because of how you and other users pointed me in the right direction, you guys really helped me get two (hundred) steps closer to creating my own comic with quality.

Solid 7. Good work.

I'm not an artist, so I can't give much constructive criticism, but what I will say is this -- maybe draw your feet a little bigger?

thanks man! any constructive criticism is always welcome. You actually made a good point with the feet because just the other day my friend made a similar point about how Supe's head is too big in terms of 'superhero' proportions. So I guess smaller head and bigger hands and feet is something I should keep in mind. I'm just a little hesitant because if I start drawing my own comic I don't want my characters to look like that small headed dude from Beetlejuice lol