My Spider-Man drawing (Need Feedback!)

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By InfamousFish

Here is my drawing of black suit Spidey. Tell me straight out, is it crappy or somewhat ok. First drawing in a year, and yes I am a novice drawer, so no professional shading skills.

No Caption Provided
mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By mewmdude77

Why is one of his arms behind his back?

The_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Madness

It's not bad, the hands are a little wonky but I'm not one to talk. They are tricky and it takes time to get. The only other thing is it's kinda hard to tell whats going on with left leg(Spidey's left) its just one line that throws it off a little bit. But other than that one line on the legs, I must say the perspective on the legs is pretty good. If I may make a suggestion(I draw aswell but I'm no pro either so take my advice with a grain of salt.) Try to draw lightly with the pencil at first, and kinda of make a loose 'skeleton' of your figure. In this stage draw as may lines as possible until you get the shapes you want. Slowly your drawing will take shape, once it looks like you have the lines you want, then make sense of the lines by drawing the ones you like darker. I'm not good at explaining this online so I hope that makes sense. But it's not terrible. You should draw more and post it.

Another tip if I may, its good to use references from pictures or models or whatever, it can really help you grasp more of the shapes of muscles and other human anatomy. I often have to use references myself because sometimes I cannot picture what certain parts look like in my head. Here's my most recent Spidey, mind you I did look at a comic for reference I didn't do this one off the top of my head or anything.:

No Caption Provided

Another tip is to 'draw through' your drawing, an example: See how you have one arm behind your spidey? Tha's pretty cool but lightly draw the entire arm first and then you get a better feel as to where the hand should come out on the other side. Same goes for the Spider on his chest, lightly draw the entire emblem first so you know where it should pop out around the arm and it will all line up better then draw the arm over it, once you get to the darker pencilling stage you won't see the parts covered up by the arm anymore. But I like your drawing of Spider-man. I'd like to see more.

Cheers!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Strider1992

Its pretty good (practice makes perfect). The only thing I would suggest looking into is anatomy. It'll help you a good idea of how to draw different body parts. There are some good tuts on the internet for example here's one from Todd McFarlane (god I would love to be able to draw like this guy T.T):

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By InfamousFish

@mewmdude77: One arm was behind his back, I now it looks weird, but if you saw the actual picture makes sense.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Muscle definition isn't a bunch of lines.Shading helps define how the muscles are supposed to look.If you're drawing this from an existing artwork, don't leave anything out.Every single piece is there for a reason.The image that The_Madness posted, illustrates what i'm talking about as far as shading.As strider92 pointed out, working on anatomy would be good.The shape of Spider-Man's head seems off.It was the first thing i noticed when i entered the the thread.His upper body and arm seemed to be stretched weirdly which causes the rest of the body to have a stocky look so he looks in shape but fat at the same time.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TDK_1997

It isn't that bad but the anatomy sucks.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By renamed040924

Helluva lot better than what I could of done.

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By InfamousFish

@nickzambuto said:

Helluva lot better than what I could of done.

lol, I doubt it. I am pretty bad at drawing.

The_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Madness

@InfamousFish: Don't sell yourself short man, this isn't a bad drawing.

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By InfamousFish

@The_Madness: Do you have any links to drawing lessons for beginners. This is something I would love to improve in, and I will put in the time to get to where I want to be. Thanks and take care.

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

Okay, first of all its not awful. You posting it up for all of us to see already shows that you've got guts. The muscle definition is very good, and the hands aren't bad. Its actually pretty difficult to draw a human hand. The anatomy could use some work though. One book that might be able to help you is Simplified Anatomy for the Comic Book Artist by Christopher Hart. He's written a lot of books on how to draw, and a streamlined style is what a lot of people use, you may be criticized for not being "realistic", but to me realism is for the birds and Alex Ross.

Sissel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Sissel

The chest is too broad. Make it more thin and the legs shouldn't be that beefed up. Otherwise, good work.

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InfamousFish

Would, How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way, be a good book to get. Looking at the reviews of it, seems legit.

The_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Madness

@InfamousFish: I've never read it personally, but on youtube there were videos of How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way. With Stan Lee and Jack Kirby I believe. They were a little out dated but still had good concepts like forshortening, and three point perspective some other useful tips in there too. While I can't vouch for the book, if its anything like the videos it will have useful information for sure.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Yung ANcient One

he looks deformed still its WAAAAYYY!!!! better than something i could draw. (+)

frostphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By frostphoenix

This is not a bad drawing; you just need to keep on practicing. The good thing is that you can visualize a cool pose and most of the times that is the hardest part to do.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Gambit1024

Did you come up with this pose yourself, or did you look at a specific picture?

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By InfamousFish

@Gambit1024:picture.

nahadef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nahadef

The torso is too wide. It's fine to swipe for a long time, but ultimately you need to be considering human anatomy, then working toward comic anatomy, otherwise, your only career options will be to be the next Liefeld.

The_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Madness

@nahadef: LMAO! Too true! But either way you can only learn anatomy from looking at references whether it be anatomy books, comics or live models.

@InfamousFish: BTW never aspire to be Liefeld!

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By InfamousFish

@nahadef: I am not making this my career, lol, just for fun.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By htb106

It looks alright, it's better than most people can do. just keep on practicing and you'll get better at it.

nahadef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nahadef

@InfamousFish:

Fair enough. Have a good time with it ;)

Styleshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Styleshift

@InfamousFish: Well done. Keep practicing. That's great for a novice, your showing some natural talent. =)

Avatar image for big_blue_cheese
big_blue_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By big_blue_cheese

@InfamousFish: It's pretty good, practice makes perfect. Study the anatomy a bit more, proportioning needs a bit of work but it's good. Keep it up man. I struggle with face and hands myself. You got guts for putting them up to it's good to see.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By LordRequiem

Requires some musculature work, some body shape work and some angle work (as in what you see when viewing the character from certain angles). The shading won't really play much part in adding a dimension until the intial drawing takes better shape. These are all things that would come with a little bit of practice though. And I can most certainly tell what's supposed to be going on here which means you have a good starting point. I hope that was constructive.

DeadpoolFan101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DeadpoolFan101

its pretty good, its just that his chest is to wide