Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

Edited By FoxxFireArt

My Psylocke Redesign

Original Psylocke design
Original Psylocke design

It was a couple weeks back that I was listening to the Comic Vine podcast (I'm not sure which) and the topic had turned to some of the costumes worn by many of the female characters. So many look more like swimsuits. Oddly enough, few have pants. Someone talked about all the pointless straps all over Psylocke's arms and legs, and commented they would like to see her in something with pants. The conversation inspired me to try making my own design for Psylocke.

I have nothing against the original Psylocke outfit. Back when I first started reading X-MEN comics, I remember it was Jim Lee's work that I was first exposed to. Pslocke played a noticeable role in getting me to come back. I was a preteen/pubescent boy at the time. What do you expect? Well, I grew up and became mature-------ish. I can notice how ridiculous that outfit can look.

A lot of redesigns have characters in full body suits, which is equally as impractical. In my redesign, I took a lot of inspiration from the BLEACH character Soi Fon, a little bit from the NARUTO series, and some stuff that's my own taste. I wanted her outfit to look like clothes, but I leaned more on Japanese culture to match her ethnicity.

Here is some interesting trivia. The Japanese word for "female ninja" is くノ一(kunoichi). This is actually the woman 女 (onna) kanji broken apart. Look closely at the onna kanji and you can see the three parts of kunoichi. It's even the proper writing order for writing "onna".

Design Notes-

Psylocke redesign fan art by Kristoffer Remmell
Psylocke redesign fan art by Kristoffer Remmell
  • Body Type: I always felt that Psylocke's body should be both petite but lean muscle tone. She's not overly muscular. She's a fighter who deals a lot with close range, hand-to-hand combat. She's a martial artist. It would make sense. I wouldn't give her the same body as Emma. I reduced her comic-stereotyped DD breasts to a C Cup.
  • Hair Pins: I didn't want to cut her long purple-colored hair. A lot of people seem to love cutting hair when changing the design of female characters. I thought she could use hairpins, because having her hair loose on missions made no sense. When I go to the gym or the running track, I almost never see long-haired women with their hair free. It's always in a ponytail, braided, pinned, or something. I wanted to have charms hanging from the hair pins as a little feminine touch. I was going to draw a green leaf and Autumn leaf. I changed it to butterflies, because that's a popular theme with Psylocke.
  • Hakama Pants: This is not a skirt. Hakama are a traditional style of pants that are still used during traditional martial arts, such as Kendo, Kyūdō, and Aikido. They are loose and don't restrict movement, and they can make it hard for your enemy to read your leg movements. If you ever watched samurai movies. These are the kind of pants that you see everyone wearing.
  • Duel Wakizashi. I opted to change Psyocke's katana with duel wakizashi (short swords). These are basically short katanas. I thought giving her two short swords would be more effective that a larger one. She could sheath them behind her.
  • Senbon Needles: As a sort of nod to all the silly straps Psylocke's normal outfit has. I gave Psylocke a holster strapped to her forearm that holds several senbon needles. These are a form of weaponized needles. They are hard to see and can be used for striking acupuncture points.
  • Satchel: A touch I always liked from the NARUTO series are the rear satchels you'll often see the ninja have strapped to their backs. They are a great place for putting tools and supplies for people who need to travel light and fast. She wont even need to take it off to get what's inside.
  • No Heels: As you can tell, I did not give Psylocke high heels. That's a cliche that's never made sense in people who fight. I still can't believe Nolan gave his Catwoman high-platformed heels.

I hope you enjoy my design, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

-Kristoffer Remmell (FoxxFireArt) is a freelance graphic artist, writer, and over all mystery geek.- Follow for news updates: @ animevice / @ FoxxFireArt

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Aiden Cross

i really like it =) What color would this outfit be?

Although a Hakama has 7 folds, 5 on the front, 2 on the back ;)

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FoxxFireArt
@Aiden Cross
I hadn't really planned to color this, but I think I'd keep the blue color design. Maybe even make the wrap red. Then it would serve a purpose, unlike the sash she now has.

I know the folds of hakama. I drew this while listening to this week's podcast.
Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Deranged Midget

Awesome re-design!

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Baddamdog

Pretty awesome!

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By ARMIV2

That's awesome! I actually like it better than the original.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lykopis

This is really fantastic --- I like this rendition. :)

jya666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#7  Edited By jya666

Is really beautiful !!!!

:))

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

good stuff
BB

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tonis

very slick design and really well thought out. Nice job :)

jcbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jcbart

I could definitely see Psylocke wearing that! Although I'd prefer her to wear a sports bra instead of that halter, since it doesn't look like it'd give her much support. Other than that, brilliant design.

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So anime

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By _Black

I really like it.

mervotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mervotron

Are you thinking of doing any other character redesigns? This is pretty good!

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FoxxFireArt

@Deranged Midget: @Baddamdog: @ARMIV2: @lykopis: @Jya666: @Billy Batson: @tonis: @_Black:

Thanks. I'm glad so many seem to enjoy my design work for Psylocke. I'm surprised there are some who even like this design more than Psylocke's current outfit.

@jcbart:

I think a sports bra would just look too much like a "uniform" and not clothes. I wanted her to look like she could wear this around the mansion or on missions.

@mervotron:

I hadn't planned on it. I was just thinking about something that was said in the Comic Vine podcast. It just inspired this picture. I don't know if any of them have even seen this.

I was thinking about making a seperate design for Psylocke when she's on X-Force missions. It's silly that she would use the same outfit for black ops, secret missions.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By TheGoldenOne
Very nice work :)
Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Deranged Midget

@FoxxFireArt: Personally, I like it a lot more than the current costume. It makes more sense, fits her history better and doesn't make her look like a... well you know :P Kudos!

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Great design. Your work reminds me of Gold Digger. The new costume is awesome

V1ctorAugusto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By V1ctorAugusto

My version

http://v1ctoraugusto.deviantart.com/art/Psylocke-New-Uniform-296070280?q=gallery%3Av1ctoraugusto%2F26430902&qo=0

No Caption Provided
blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By blur1528

I'm a fan of Psylocke... and I approve.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#20  Edited By Hawkeye446

Very cool :)

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Tazirai

I love the new look. I just wish someone would design a costume to show her English Heritage. Maybe a mix of Ninja, and Medieval knight. Show her Eurasian look.

PoachedPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PoachedPig

This is just pure awesomeness.

I wanna see more of your character re-design !!!

MB25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MB25

@FoxxFireArt: I love your art style...

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers