Posted by gmounce (21 posts) - - Show Bio

This summer I'm kickstarting the first issue of my comic series MASTERS OF DENSITY. It's a sci-fi-ish comedy about technology and food. 6 issues total. Black and white.

THE PLOT

To keep her job, a corporate warrior who sells relaxation machines for babies must save her boss from an eight-year-old who has developed an addiction to those machines.

Here are some of the pages my artist, the incredibly talented Derrick Dent, is working on. His site: derrickdent.tumblr.com

Here's an example of some early thumbs....

No Caption Provided

Layouts starting to come together....

No Caption Provided

Starting to look official!

No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by gmounce (21 posts) - - Show Bio

MEET CAROL:

No Caption Provided

Carol's the main character. She's a corporate warrior who's been stuck in customer service for six years. She's tough, witty, intelligent, and a futurist. She believes that technology is what will save us.

I wanted to avoid a lead who was "comic book hot". I told Derrick that she could be pretty but not oversexualized. I need someone who can be tough and intelligent and have depth--but for us to be able to believe it.

No Caption Provided

#2 Edited by BumpyBoo (14790 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds crazy. In an awesome way.

#3 Posted by DequanWay (162 posts) - - Show Bio

The bean has spoken

#4 Edited by gmounce (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

This sounds crazy. In an awesome way.

Thanks!!

I totally forgot to post to more detailed plot synopsis. Blurp...

It's the slightly near-future (after the Jeb Bush years but before the apocalypse) and parents turn to Clary relaxation machines to pacify their children. After years of working at the same position at the company that creates these machines, Carol is losing confidence that she’ll ever advance her career. But after her boss is kidnapped by a strung out eight-year-old Clary user, Carol, with the help of her niece Faith, clashes with drive-by BB gunners, homicidally optimistic parents, and one irate BBQ chef in order to avoid a PR nightmare and maybe even get a raise.

#5 Edited by BumpyBoo (14790 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by gmounce (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: Haha! Love it :) thanks for the boost of confidence :)

#7 Posted by BumpyBoo (14790 posts) - - Show Bio

@gmounce: No problem, hope you'll keep us posted on your progress!

Avatar image for timelordscience
#8 Posted by TimeLordScience (1940 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds like a neat project! The concept is far out in a good way.

#10 Posted by gmounce (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Meet Lulu

No Caption Provided

Lulu is an eight-year-old relaxation machine junkie. I told Derrick that she needed to look pale with stringy hair and deep-set eyes. In his depiction she looks like a growth-stunted, strung out child librarian. It's perfect.

Lulu's parents have kept her hooked up to a relaxation machine for most of her life, so her English is terrible and her manners are nonexistent. She's a violent tyrant.

No Caption Provided

#11 Posted by gmounce (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Meet Faith

Faith, Carol's niece, wants to open an experimental all-night diner. She works at her dad's restaurant but he won't let her experiment with his tried-and-true dishes. Faith desires fun, adventure, and for her life to have a sense of excitement. She's also a deeply caring person who would do nearly anything for those closest to her, especially Carol.

No Caption Provided

#12 Posted by Veitha (4154 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this.

#13 Posted by DrF8 (3309 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems really cool

I'd love to read it when it's finished

#14 Edited by gmounce (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Meet Donnelson

No Caption Provided

Donnelson is Carol's boss. Obsessed with his inauthenticity, he compulsively meditates and then explores his subconscious with a modified relaxation machine.

#15 Posted by gmounce (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Meet Donnelson's Monster

No Caption Provided

At the end of issue 2, Donnelson enters his subconscious with the help of a modified relaxation machine. The first thing he runs into is this...thing. It becomes his guide for exploring his really weird subconscious which is filled with illogical water wells, dance clubs for disembodied legs (did I mention that Donnelson has a fetish for knee backs?), skin caves, and the answer to the meaning of Donnelson's life.