Marvel 70's-ish Style, Mighty Thor!!! (Experimental Panoramic Panels)

Occult12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

"Thou Shall Not Pass"

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like it was copied right off the page of the actual book. Pencils look good though.

Occult12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks much...I think...Lol. Just really started to experiment with this type of panel lay-out. I like the esthetic of the paneling; it has that widescreen movie feel. I've also been experimenting with using non-photo Blu-Line pencils for the figure structuring, layouts, etc. and finished pencils (F lead) over that. But no doubt I'm highly influenced by the past greats...Kirby, Buscema, Trimpe, Tuska,...I could go on and on. "What's old is new again"

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont get me wrong, yeah I love the vibe. Im a fan from that era but it looks like you actually drew it off of an actual page from the book. If its yours kudos, if you used something from a printed book the artist should get credit. But yeah either way it looks good.

Occult12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks Rams!!! Yeah, no doubt...since It's an experimental type panel lay-out that I'm kinda playing with, and I did not have a script to go off of, I used some Thor John Buscema reference to see if it would work. At this point I'm just not that good at drawing ; or as an artist for that matter, without using some kind of reference e.g. pictures, photographs, comics, real life, etc. Not to say that I couldn't work from a script If I had to, but as an artist I'm just not there or that good. But yeah, style-wise I much prefer to work in a more traditional "Marvel House Style" while also trying to infuse some of my own style thrown in. For me personally, It's a fun way to draw and I get enjoyment from it. Good old fashion pencil and paper, lol!!! Hell, the only drawing book that I had for the longest time was a dog-eared copy of "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way". Thanks again for the communication, and remember to have fun. BTW, I checked out some of your work...great stuff man!...keep it going!

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RamsIllustrations

@occult12: Thanks, I noticed you left comments and then deleted them. :p

On my end when I started here on CV in and around 2008, people liked my work. I was very rusty from not drawing for over 12 years. Maybe a sketch a year or every 2 to see if I could still draw. Then the contests were in full swing on here and I was motivated to draw again.Finding time was difficult but around the same time I joined I found more and used the contests to inspire me. It worked. :)

One thing early on was that I kept seeing people refer to my style as classic. They were right, I was horrified with the idea that if I wanted to get into this field my chances were slim if I kept the same style that was very much a part of me.

Dont get me wrong, I love classic art but publishers dont want that, they want something current and dynamic, different than the eras from days past. So, I took it upon myself to shed the old and create the new version of styling but it had to have and organic natural feel in the process.

I dropped down to a one line approach like in coloring books. Did that for about 2 to 3 years. In the process I relearned how to draw everything I had already learned. Each piece was a different focus. Eyes on one ears, hands etc as I went along. Still doing that. Now its mostly composition and story telling.

As I improved I went with adding more lines since im a Bernie Wrightson fan as well as Barry Windsor Smith and Gil Kane who I took a class with. So lines are very much something I had to implement but with a different take on my feathering from what I used years ago. I also forbid myself from looking at other artists art other than glancing to see the competition.

I have or had the habit of studying everyones lines at one time but it also rubs off.

Its not a bad thing but I wanted to try as best I could to individualize myself. So what you see now is all thanks to Comic Vine and the community on this forum.

Sadly its just a shadow of its former self on here. It was never big but there were more contributors and people stuck around more for comments and input. I dont get around on the Vine much since I dont have the time so Im not sure whats happening beyond the borders of this forum.

If you want to check out my older classic style and were I was when I first got on Comic Vine, I was @davidr when I started. As I improved I changed profiles to what you see now.

Sorry I carried on hehe, feeling nostalgic.... ;P

BTW, that Conan piece in the market I believe I was like 17 but Gil Kane was a strong influence on me at the time.

Occult12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey Rams,

I believe those posts were deleted for me by ComicVine? Since I'm new to this site, I think I posted a few replies/comments where I wasn't supposed to and I was accused of "spamming"...not sure? But anyways, I got that cleared up. Funny!

Yeah, similar to yourself, I haven't really been drawing seriously for awhile besides the occasional doodle or sketch and I'm just now getting back into it. I guess I've found that joy and excitement for comic books and drawing again, I seem to do that from time to time...hm?!

Anyways, yeah no doubt, I definitely get what your saying about a certain style or look comic book publishers look for in todays mainstream market. And your right, it's about individualization and finding your own voice or "style" that would appeal to that market...practice, practice, practice. That's kinda where I'm at currently with my art...just trying to get better and trying to improve...and perhaps find a "style" along the way.

But realistically, I'm not that naïve to think that I could even do mainstream comic book publishing work, my drawing ability or skill just isn't no where near that level. Besides, If I had to venture a guess, I would say a very high percentage of comic books being produced in todays market are done digitally; whether in whole or part...penciling, inking, etc. again, I'm just not at that level. However, I am kicking the idea around about investing in some digital hardware and trying my hand at producing some art digitally...so we'll see?!

BTW, I had a chance to check out some of your older stuff, and let me tell you...great stuff man!!! It looks like you started out traditional and made the transition to digital; if so, when? Perhaps you can give me some advice on where to start?

Berni Wrightson, Barry Windsor-Smith, Gil "up the nose artist" Kane...what?!!!….comic book royalty. I read somewhere that even at the height of his career, Gil Kane still took about an hour a day to study and draw anatomy before he actually worked on any of his page or cover work...true legend in the field of comics.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@occult12:

Hey man thanks, yeah if I can I will give you heads up on some of the things I have learned when switching to digital. Traditional artists many times like to criticize digital artists and that may be for their own shortcomings dealing with the changes and expense to the platform. Some just feel that its cheating and turn their noses up at it but the ones that are curious and want to expand on their tools are usually the ones that want to experiment. Let me know when you are ready and I will at least get you started on some basics. It can be relatively inexpensive but can also cost a heavy penny so let me know your needs and we can go from there.