I think it would be best to simply copy and paste some of what I wrote in my blog about this drawing:
"This week’s Superhero vs Superhero drawing gave me a lot of trouble. Seeing it, you wouldn’t think it did....
...They’re both the “masters of magnetism,” of their respective universes. And of course they’re now chibi refrigerator magnets holding up a drawing my son Ambrose drew when he was two.
The reason this drawing gave a me trouble was because of the lack of real planning.
The first time around I roughed it out and showed it to my wife to see if the joke “read.” I had drawn the two characters their actual size, hanging off a refrigerator. The problem was, they were so big, they covered up the fridge and my wife didn’t realize they were magnets. They just looked like they were floating in a kitchen, in front of a fridge.
I scrapped the idea and simply wasn’t going to do it...
...Then I talked about it with a friend who gave me the idea to make them chibi style magnets. That’s what I ended up doing.
Thing is, then I got ambitious. I decided I should digitally paint this drawing and not simply ink it. And by “paint,” I meant, not just color but get rid of all the lines and do a full painting. They’re simple characters, I thought it shouldn’t be a problem.
So I began the process, and quickly realized two things, one, I couldn’t paint all that well, and two, painting the drawing was going to take WAY too long.
So I quit. It left me feeling really frustrated and I felt, I’d failed. On top of that, I seemed I wasted a lot of time I need to get other things done.
I had roughed out and cleaned up the drawing digitally. The line work was pretty much done. Only, I didn’t like it. I wasn’t sure what to do, but I ended up turning the clean up lines into non-photo blue and printed it out so I could ink it by hand. Which I did...
...So in the end this simple drawing gave me more trouble than I wanted it to and it left me wanting to paint. Which I think I'll start doing soon."