Keep the Contest or Retire?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1 EGoD  Moderator

I'm sure the artists still lingering around the Artist Show-Off Forum, have noticed the lack of participation in the contest threads. So, I wanted to put this out there and see if any of you feel that some of the contests should be retired due to lack of competition, or if you still want to try and keep them going.

For example, the Crank Those Panels has been retired again, which was mostly agreed upon by the 2 primary contestants who seem to be the only ones who entered it.

Currently we still have the following active contests:

Battle, Character Creation, Artist Show-Off, Character Creation, Public Domain.

I would've put this in a PM to most of you, but honestly, I didn't want to omit anyone and it seems easier for all the artists who participate to see this in the site and discuss the options.

Starting off the topic, I see the Public Domain hasn't had a lot of entries, so that could be one that may need to be retired for a while. We could also look at which contests may benefit from being the main focus for people, see what everyone prefers to enter.

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@egod:

Hopefully this is a passing phase and new talent and possibly some past contest Artists will return after the summer.

We go through a slump every year but this one seems to be one of the worst I have seen. I know that you egod have been here even longer than I have, probably from the beginning and have seen the participation decline and rise.

I think Artist Showoff should be kept and the Battle contest, Character creation, Public Domain and Amalgam maybe should take a break for the moment until someone decides to bring it back.

Just my suggestion but there doesn't seem to be many others jumping in to voice their opinions, at least not yet....

Is traffic dying on CV, or is it just our corner here on the Artists showoff?

Bries84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we should keep at least three contests. I'm thinking Artist-Show- off, Battle and one other. I believe the participation will return.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Character Creation is my favorite contest 'cause it challenges my creativity the most, Costume Contest comes next to that. But it's no secret that most artists seem more comfortable entering a contest with more familiar characters and designs.

raamesirote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think public domain should be retired. Maybe battle contest too. But I love the costume contest so i think it should stay

wildcats25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

perhaps categorizing some challenges to either weekly or monthly? I dunno if that would help.

I'm cool with which ever is decided.

I've always wanted to see a thread where there's a comicvine universe of characters with pulpy story telling.

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The Artist Showoff contest should prolly be kept going, at least.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildcats25:

Thats a great idea if we could get CV guys with some writing skills or Artists and come up with a few characters that could represent Comic Vine. We can have a contest to see which version everyone prefers. I had a feeling there was going to be some feedback on this topic, So far Artist Showoff, Battle and Costume contest seems to be top choice at the moment....

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EGoD  Moderator

@ramsillustrations I don't spend much time outside the ASO section aside from the moderator threads. Traffic still seem steady though from reading through the info. It definitely does feel like there is a snails pace on this side. I suppose there are less artists wanting to compete in the contests purely for the fun of it (seems to be a lot more people wanting to link patreon sites and looking for donations).

@wildcats25 Going monthly with some of the contest might be an idea.

All thoughts are appreciated, just knowing what contests fellow artists do prefer helps out a lot.

Right now it feels like Public Domain and the Amalgam could be retired for a while. Other contests could go to being a monthly event.

Mofetaclueca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, Crank Those Panels was my favorite contest, followed by Amalgam, but certainly I've been unable to participate lately.

I also think we could have only two or three contests running at the same time, and exchange them for different ones periodically.

Maybe with less options there will be more participation for each of them. And if we rotate them everyone would have a chance to participate in his favourite.

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EGoD  Moderator

@wildcats25: lol all I understood was the blah blah blah part. Kidding ha ha.

wildcats25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod said:

@wildcats25: lol all I understood was the blah blah blah part. Kidding ha ha.

Story of my life..LOL

blancosombra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blancosombra

I've been away for awhile and just recently came back, but I can definitely see a change here. It's slower, quieter. I've looked back at some of the contests I missed and participation seems to have steadily declined over the last couple of months significantly. Maybe it's me, but that's what I noticed.

Shatterstar reached out to a bunch of us a year or so ago on this very matter. The suggestion I made then is, I feel, still a valid and beneficial one. If you want to encourage growth in ASO it should be promoted better. Why not include contest winners in the Awesome Art Picks article that runs every week? I'm sure a number of people view the article and have never visited the ASO threads. What better way to promote it? I'm 100% certain that would garner more views to ASO and probably increase participation from old and new members alike.

blancosombra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I think there are too many contests given current participation levels. Skimming the fat is a good idea. Personally, I'm not a fan of Crank Those Panels and Public Domain. Draw One, Ask One seems to be doing well enough surprisingly. I enjoy Battle and Costume Contest. Amalgam can be fun but sometimes the subject can lack interest.

How about something new entirely? Like Superhero Sculptures (why limit it to drawings?) or Pencil & Ink Contests (no color, no digital). Maybe a focus on the medium instead of a topic will pull in a little interest.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

Hey gang! I am one of the guilty party who have participated and have since found myself phasing out of the rotation. Speaking for myself only, I enjoyed the friendly competition feel we had and sadly it has gone away. I check the forum daily, And at times I see contest were there are 3 entries in a month, and the quality isn't there..I am like 'eh..I'll pass' but if the best of the best is rocking out, I am like "I wanna play too" and see where I stand among them..if I 'win" I am on the right track with my skills...if I get curbed stomped without any votes..? guess what, I am burning holes in my paper to try to improve to do better next entry. I Frankly speaking I owe the contest on CV to allowing me to get better, gain confidence and keep drawing to where I have decided to create my own characters ( my first CV entry in 2011 and my character Onyx down a week ago) . So I do love the forums and fully support them remaining but a bit bummed to see things slowing down as it has, possible thoughts;

1. We have to many options to choose from perhaps, I do agree we should trim the contest down some
  2. The pace is very slow, we can go days at a time without any participation. Perhaps shorten the deadlines a bit?
  3. This is s comic book information site, that has a Art forum, not an Art site and as such..we kind of get kicked to the curb, nit even sure if the casual CV user knows we are here
  4. I have tried this once before, and had limited success, with GETTING THE POINT, and I try to help where I can by lending my lifework for Colorist to practice with, but I would like to see a way the more established artist could give back, and help the rookies with questions and tips, I feel if we could make more folks happier with their work, we would get better turn out.
My very first entry 2011
My very first entry 2011

My OC 'ONYX'
My OC 'ONYX'
ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, sorry I have been inactive of late.

I don't know if I have much of a right to vote here since I have not, and will not in the foreseeable future, been able to participate much. I'd hate to see all the contests go away though. I do still lurk and I see all the contests, even if I don't speak up. But I'd hope that Artist Show-Off and a couple others would survive through all this. I know Crank has been a tough contest to enter because it requires a commitment of time and energy. I know a lot of folks don't care for the battle thread the way I used to, though it was probably my favorite over the years. At least keep Artist Show-Off open. If a time comes when I could participate again, I'd hate to see them all gone.

Mrnoitaull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say start a poll of the one we would want to eliminate.

If you wanted my vote, I would go Battle, Amalgam and Crank those Panels.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfuzzynutz: @blancosombra: @mrnoitaull:

I sculpt but sculpting will not gain many entries. Thats an interesting topic but I doubt it would fly for very long beyond an initial test due to the time it takes to do a piece and finding enough artists wanting, or knowing a bit about sculpting.

Crank the Panels was created by me to help artists that where willing to test their storytelling abilities. There isn't much available out there that gives the "few" a way to be challenged and test their skills against theirs. This wasn't a contest for popularity but for the few that wanted a greater challenge than just pin ups. It gets brought back and retired as the interest comes and goes.

I do agree that there might be something in making the Artist forum appear on other parts of CV advertising so that others with some artistic skills may see and want to join in.

CV for me isnt about how good the competition is, it's about different levels of Artists, from beginners to skilled amateurs finding a topic or theme to get them inspired to practice. Every piece you draw you should be testing yourself to improve. If wanting to challenge your skills even more there are other web sites that have a more rigid approach and artist with egos that like to berate and belittle others if the make mistakes.

Its a school of harder knocks and will either intimidate you or challenge you depending on how you see it. I myself see what is being written there and for my part I feel that instead of being constructive they are using it as an opportunity to bully artists that are not at their level. Comic Vine to me is usually more laid back and if there are characters or themes that interest a few artists then im all for everyone practicing if that inspires them.

What we are doing here on this topic once again is just temporarily shutting down certain contests until hopefully there are more participating artists.

Permanent? Perhaps but I have been here long enough to understand that this is a slow part of the year.

Comicman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Comicman1000

Keep them. I've been pretty busy with my own stuff lately, but I'll be sure to participate again. It's been a while.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ramsillustrations: I agree CV is fantastic at being open to all levels of artist. Always found it to be the right balance of finding folks who are few ticks above to motivate me to get to their level, and some who are a few ticks done that I can help them improve and be there to offer support positive feedback

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EGoD  Moderator

@ZZoMBiE13:you've participated in the past so your vote counts.

Retiring some of the contests is just an option to hopefully focus more on the popular ones and maybe have more participation.

@mrfuzzynutz: There really hasn't been a restriction on medium, after all we've allowed photo manipulation in the past (which had to be stated as such and reference given to the original). The only rule was that it had to be original artwork and something designed specifically for the contest. I don't think the pace of the contests matters as much, it is usually set by the artist starting the contest, and for some they think that having the contest run 3 or 4 weeks will give other people more time to get an entry in. There has been times in the past that some contests were restricted to a certain medium, like traditional, and it did cause a bit of a stir with some.

Personally, I enter a contest when an idea pops in my head and I have the time to put something out. I would hope that anyone's quality or design wouldn't prevent anyone from entering, the contests were started for fun and an outlet for artists to express themselves and have something to work on.

It does look like Public Domain and the Amalgam will be retired after the current ones end. If anyone has time to put something in, it would be nice to go out with a bang.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#23 shatterstar  Moderator

Since a few people have brought it up- If anyone wants more attention brought to the forum, my only suggestion is to tweet the contest threads @comicvine on twitter. They can re-tweet to their 50k+ followers or they can showcase it on the frontpage, etc Obviously its gotta be a thread thats worthy of attention- if you're expecting a retweet of a thread with 1 entry, it's unlikely to get any love from staff.

For the dead/dying contest threads i've had a couple ideas - turn the concepts into Draw One, Ask One style ongoing threads without votes. Or encourage each other to incorporate the concepts (Amalgam, Public Domain, Crank, etc) into the Showdown thread. The Showdown was originally intended to be open to whatever the winner wanted to do with it, not necessarily just single character pinups.

There's a good discussion going on here, thanks very much for everyone that has responded. If you've entered a contest at any point or otherwise posted art in this forum, please feel free to speak up if you've got an opinion.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 229

As a viewer/occasional voter, I prefer Character Creation, Amalgam and Public Domain. I'd really like to see your Character Creation stay, as it is what inspired Project_Worm to start a writer's Character Creation Contest on the Fan-Fic forum.

As for slumps, Fan-Fic gets 'em too. About half our regulars were in finals recently, and now they're in summer vacation. It'll pick back up when they're looking for something to distract them from their schoolwork. lol

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EGoD  Moderator

@shatterstar: That's true, the ASO is basically a free for all, so people still could use it to incorporate contests that don't generate much traffic.

blancosombra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about taking an existing contest and not assigning a short lived topic. For example: I really enjoy Costume Contest but if the previous winner chooses Night Nurse for the next contest and I'm not feeling it, then I'm inclined to sit that one out. Maybe instead of picking ones to simply end, take one or two and just change them from a regular contest to a pinned thread. As someone whose set up new contests, it can also be a little daunting (maybe that's too strong of a word) to choose a subject that's already been done. Maybe move Public Domain and Crank Those Panels to that type of a format and see what happens. I mean, no deadlines and topics... There may be some great results.

patzello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello to a!

I had participated for a while about a year ago and had to take care of personal/real life stuff for a while. I pop in from time to time, but have not been active for a while. In that respect, I may provide the perspective of the fringe perticipant/outsider.

There are contests that have seemed to be the core of the forum. These contests to me have been:

Artist Show Off (the mainstay)

Costume Contest (always seemed popular)

Battles (personal favorite)

I have always liked Amalgam and Character Creation, but they did not seem as integral to the intention of the forum. Compared to the others, they seemed expendable. I never really participated in Crank those Panels.

Taking away my personal preference, I would suggest being objective and make decisions based on actual participation. I personally prefer that the three above listed contests remain in play (if only as an observer), but Artist Show Off can be a catch-all if participation is down that much. Once you win, you make the rules for next time.

Robert_Erdody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you cant just pack up your toys because no one wants to play

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robert_erdody:

Not packing up, just putting them away for the moment until more friends come over.

Anbu_B_Team

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I have been a way a long time...My personal opinion is that the submissions were diluted because there were so many contests. Public domain would get 1-3 while an Amalgam contest was getting 4-6 while a Battle was getting 1-3 ect. I have been away for a while because life has gotten pretty busy lately. I really enjoyed participating, and now browsing when I do not have time to participate. If the contest were limited to 3 or so and the artists tweeted, shared on Instagram ect. maybe participation could trend up.

Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
SuperStar_sketcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see most of the contests still going on. I'd be alot more active if I could post pics from my phone. I love this forum but it could definitely use some editing.

Mrnoitaull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To correct what I said, I'd prefer if Crank those Panels, Amalgam and Battles remained, but I see I am too late.

So there's no way to resurrect these Challenges?

raamesirote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoitaull: The showdown contest can be whatever the winner of the previous contest wants it to be. If you want to ask a winner to do something similar to an old contest type, they might

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EGoD  Moderator

To correct what I said, I'd prefer if Crank those Panels, Amalgam and Battles remained, but I see I am too late.

So there's no way to resurrect these Challenges?

Some of the contests were retired since they had low attendance, most of them were kept alive by a few people who would enter the contests themselves to have an entry or two. Not that they will be gone forever if the other contests start having more entries and interest, then with more artist participation, they could return.

For now though, like @raamesirote said, winners can use the Artist Show-Off Showdown to do a battle, amalgam, or crank if they wish. Since it is the original contest, you can pick any subject.

Robert_Erdody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe some pin up contests thatd be hot or we could do caricature contests character redesign thing is cool but only if the hero outta be redesigned and is widely I dont know liked if you said hey lets redesign speedball id probably not want to but if you said hey lets do Psylocke or electra or anyone cool or hot with a marginal or totally retarded uiform

Blue Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I may interject something. I think maybe employing some type of incentive aside from bragging rights and picking the next contest might spice up the board more.

Like allowing the winning artist to showcase their work on the main Comic Vine site, or get an interview or something.

That's just my two cents, but I think incentives like that will push artists on here to be a bit more involved in the contests and make them much more interesting.

From what I can tell you have two types of artists on here. Some who do this for fun, while others (like me) who do this more for a career, and though it might be fun to do these board contests now and then, it's kind of hard to fit it in when you're trying to work on projects to build that said career.

And even if this is just a hobby, it's nice to have your work recognized after winning.

So again, that's my opinion. Hope it helps.

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 EGoD  Moderator

@robert_erdody:I'm not going to even start with how sexualized your comment sounds. Asking people to only pick hot or cool characters or pinup worthy characters has never been what any contest has been about, not to mention you'd quickly run out of subjects. Allowing artists to pick a character of their choosing, being main line or back line, is completely up to them and allows for others to learn of a character and pose a challenge.

@blue_son: Incentives are never a bad thing, but that creates a whole different air of competition and no longer makes it just friendly. I believe in the past, the higher ups in the Comic Vine universe offered contests with prizes, but that is up to them and something that definitely wouldn't happen on a regular basis. Some artists have taken it upon themselves to offer some sort of reward (a collection of comics for example), but asking every artist to do that isn't fair to those who may not have the resources or funds to do such a thing. I don't really see TPTB getting that invested into offering rewards for casual contests.

Robert_Erdody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod: come on bro pin ups are a huge part of comics and I dare say that a pin up contest may just what this place needs to get some traffic and participation I mean were doing mashups why not pin up if you think its sexist we can take men ups too what are these kids doing now gender benders lol

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

@egod: come on bro pin ups are a huge part of comics and I dare say that a pin up contest may just what this place needs to get some traffic and participation I mean were doing mashups why not pin up if you think its sexist we can take men ups too what are these kids doing now gender benders lol

(we actually had a gender bending contest for a period of time)

Popular characters bring more participation to be sure but 'hot' in terms of sex appeal do not necessarily; you can go through the past winners threads to see what does and doesn't work.

Robert_Erdody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well have you done it before???? because if you have not then you cant say what gets participation and what doesn't furthermore the participation is dismal at best and in fact it moved someone so much as to start a should we keep this contest thread who was that????

further why should you support such a graven image as a gender bender as though that should be considered consumable art for our the masses while being squeamish about a pinups which are classic and often times patriotic art forms but I guess thats why we have DC producing lesbian versions of there heroines. The Gayification of our nation is nearly complete. I should inform you that the creator of your name sake and icon is also quite fond of pinups so I make a motion you support pinups on comic vine or switch your picture to some non-pinup drawing artists character as i feel it creates an congruence in your personal character

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shatterstar  Moderator

sigh...Is there like a... Sarah Palin to english translator somewhere. Eh, i'll give it a shot.

@robert_erdody yes I have done it before!!!! because I have I can say what gets participation and what doesn't furthermore the dismal participation is why someone was moved so much as to start a should we keep this contest thread egod was that who it was!!!!

further I have no problem support such a graven image as a gender bender because it should be considered consumable art for our the masses and it is pretty funny someone that's getting riled up about wanting more hot pinups is squeamish about it as there's nothing more patriotic than freedom of expression but i guess thats why the creator of my name sake created a gender-bending story arc 2 decades ago.

IF you have a problem with gay or trans people and can't control your impulse to disparage them, kindly find the door, click the little x on the upper right of your browser window and find another website. That doesn't fly here and anything further along those lines in these forums will not be tolerated.

All that aside, I think you're missing the point being made here - no one has said 'hot or cool' pinups can't be the subject of contests. What has been said is that a) the winning artists are free to choose the contest subjects and should be able to pick what they want- there really hasn't been any dispute of that rule and b) a contest with 'hot' pinups does not necessarily mean more participation- you're new here so you can either trust me on that or follow the link and see for yourself.

Robert_Erdody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok lets do some gender bender pin ups or whatever suits your fancy..... I thought your advocating for gender benders and against pin ups. Here is another thing you can do use the polling feature in the contests and then allow them to run on like a thread should so each contest can produce a reigning champ not some dude with two votes. make sense bub...

and now let me this little part straight... only the champs can start a contest ..and if that is the case then you start contest and you and me can have us a gender bender contest or whatever you want and after your decimated and I'm champ ill pick the contests. I didn't realize you were the dictator around here

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EGoD  Moderator

@robert_erdody: You are blowing everything way out of proportion here. Yes I started this thread to get the opinions of other artists here that have participated in these contests. This isn't the first time contests have been retired. Participation has nothing to do with what characters are used (or in your case using "Hot" characters). Since many of the contests were getting fewer and fewer entries it was only logical to retire them for the time being until interest or participation picked back up. When these contests were in their hay day, they had many entries from various artists and it didn't matter what character was used. Thinning out contests that get less participation leaves other to hopefully survive.

Furthermore, @shatterstar is no dictator as you so put it, because people don't agree with your idea or vies of contests, does not make them dictators. Challenging someone and assuming you would decimate them is an over value of your talent to what you assume their talent to be.

Some of us have been at this site pretty much since it started and have either participated or voted or watched the art contests, I think we know far better than you what works and what doesn't.

Robert_Erdody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egolet me try it like this kiddo OMG LOL SMH at the Contests on here IDK why U dont make on going contest with reigning champs????? ALSO why can I not create the contests????? and if I need to be champ to do so then lets get it on EDOG. where your great contest idea your gonna lose in??

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 EGoD  Moderator

@egolet me try it like this kiddo OMG LOL SMH at the Contests on here IDK why U dont make on going contest with reigning champs????? ALSO why can I not create the contests????? and if I need to be champ to do so then lets get it on EDOG. where your great contest idea your gonna lose in??

Sounds like you need a break from the forums, you are being nothing but ignorant. I don't know who you think you're talking to, but I am no kiddo.

Robert_Erdody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok so wheres your great contest bro???? I see were bustin your online nerd bully moves but I wanna that pencil move so lets get this party you can bring your friend and you can battle one at a time or all together

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should inform you that the creator of your name sake and icon is also quite fond of pinups...

Did you use Rob Liefeld as an example to further your cause?

Robert_Erdody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Robert_Erdody
No Caption Provided

Oh your gonna hate on Rob Liefeld now too... well lets here it J.J. Jameson tell me all your hate of rob liefeld and your let the darkness fill your heart.n mwahahahah

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robert_erdody: I mean, more than happy to share my general annoyance toward Rob Liefeld. Where would I start? That he has no concept of proportion nor ever showed any effort to grasp it? That he emulates a "house style" in the laziest ways possible? That his creations and characters are the pinnacle of early 90s indulgence? I mean, do I respect the guy? Yeah, it's respectable that he hasn't given up even though he's become kind of a joke unto himself, so for that I respect him. I also respect all he's achieved given his bored attempts at drawing classic characters. I've never achieved that, then again, I'm not a professional comic book artist and if I was I am pretty sure I'd at least try. If you're going to bring "pin ups" into the equation at least pick someone who gives it their all. Adam Hughes, pin up master, for instance. Don't reach for the lowest hanging fruit.

Robert_Erdody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Robert_Erdody
No Caption Provided

@jj_was_here: I can tell you that Robs unfazed and if he gets down he count his cut of the 4 million copies of X-force 1 he sold or the measly cut of that 150 million deadpool made the first weekend or he could run down and deposit that check for his cut of the Image comics IM not surprised by people down grading my boy rob but back in the 90s it was hard to relate to jim lee so I hop eby the time you turn 18 you can be as skilled as rob liefeld