#1 Edited by TrillCosby (5 posts) - - Show Bio

When I think about it, you can easily not have to physically ink, or color nor you don't need to buy supplies for any of it. You don't have to hand draw perspective grids, don't need to buy tools or a lightbox etc... and so on.

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
#2 Posted by RamsIllustrations (2052 posts) - - Show Bio

@trillcosby:

It depends on what you are looking to do. As with anything else, you need the practice to have an understanding of what it is you are doing.

Traditional vs Digital? Its about manipulation of the tools you are using. Digital has many advantages over traditional but one that digital will never beat unless there is a way around it, but I cant see that happening, is the original may be worth something if the artist is famous. There is in a sense only one copy that was touched by the artist.

With digital obviously everything will be a copy.

I enjoyed traditional for years but really hated dealing with everything you mentioned above. I have and im guessing a lot of artists probably do too, drawn for many hours until you realize you cant go on and need to go to bed. You just save your work and shut down your PC.

Traditional isnt as easy when you are done.

Maybe drawing with a pencil isnt that big of a deal but when you add inks or colors there's always more to clean up and put away.

It really depends on what you are looking to do but both are just extensions of your skills. There's always a way to kinda fake being an artist, specially digitally but a true skill set will always fall on practicing a lot, and then practicing some more.

Even then there's no guarantees anyone will be any good. You kinda have to have a knack like with anything else. The difference is that with most careers you can hide your bad skills until you really screw up and are outed, but with art being a visual medium, obviously everyone can see immediately what you bring to the table, good or not.

#3 Posted by jb681131 (3183 posts) - - Show Bio

When I think about it, you can easily not have to physically ink, or color nor you don't need to buy supplies for any of it. You don't have to hand draw perspective grids, don't need to buy tools or a lightbox etc... and so on.

No, it's more difficult to draw on digitaly. And it's more expensive, you need the right tools and softwares.

#4 Posted by Blackdog2009 (3763 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm traditional. Technology is great but a real artist must be able to create an illustration with his own hands. Do wonders with a pencil alone.

#5 Posted by Bag_ass (335 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, it's more convenient with digital, you just need a decent computer that can handle drawing software quite well. There are more free open source software now that you can try and figure out which one suits your needs. What i found about traditional is you sacrifice a lot of effort to buy the necessary tools and space to create whatever it is you're trying to make while digital art only need one or two tools to make everything work, so that's my take.

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
#6 Posted by RamsIllustrations (2052 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackdog2009:

I agree with you but also see what digital brings to the table. I was traditional most of my life and its important to learn and evolve doing so.

But, I took to digital like a fish to water. Brian Bolland that drew "The killing joke" years ago agrees.

He went digital and never planned on going back to traditional, he mentioned that in an interview some years ago. He is a master at what he does and knows what he is talking about.

Both mediums as well as many others have a place. I draw traditionally every once in a while to see if I still have the knack, so its fun to switch but digital stole my heart so to speak...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#7 Posted by TrillCosby (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm traditional. Technology is great but a real artist must be able to create an illustration with his own hands. Do wonders with a pencil alone.

What is a real artist?