Avatar image for artisticneedham
Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2730 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a T-Shirt mock up design I came up with while building a T-Shirt design portfolio to submit to WeLoveFine.com I posted it on January 21, 2014 to my deviantart page along with several of my other shirt/hoodie designs. I am not saying that someone took my design idea, but here they are:

I don't think they stole anything, just used that title. My concept was to have the Arrow and Clint extending down from the collar on a white shirt pointing to the name Hawkeye like on the comic. I didn't draw the image but WeLoveFine has a deal I think with Marvel and they use comic images on shirts all the time. It is also being sold at http://www.superherostuff.com/hawkeye/t-shirts/hawkeye-six-nights-30-single-t-shirt.html?itemcd=tshwkeysix Again I am not saying they ripped me off. Just that maybe they should have given me the job.

No Caption Provided
One is mine, and one is their's

These are some of my other designs here:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8Gallery image 9Gallery image 10

http://needham-comics.deviantart.com/gallery/47779608/WeLoveFine-Portfolio?offset=24

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8Gallery image 9Gallery image 10

And there is more I didn't post here, but i did post here: http://needham-comics.deviantart.com/gallery/47779608/WeLoveFine-Portfolio?offset=48

#1 Posted by Roninreviews (68 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you want to sue them? I might by one of these btw they're great.

#2 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2730 posts) - - Show Bio

No suing. Just interesting, a little frustrating, and I wish they had hired me. :)

#3 Posted by JugJugBanks (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

you got screwed, plain and simple.

#4 Posted by HumanRocket (11234 posts) - - Show Bio

#5 Posted by JugJugBanks (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

No illuminati, as cafepress has been in trouble for intellectual property theft as have other shirt companies. Jokes require a little research...

#6 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2730 posts) - - Show Bio

@jugjugbanks: The shirt is being sold through legitimate companies. FYE online and Superherostuff.com, Not WeLoveFine.com yet but not Cafepress... I don't think. It has the Marvel logo inside, so sounds legitimate.

#7 Posted by JugJugBanks (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

The point is whether or not they had the design before the OP created it, or they took advantage of him being a little guy who could never make a stand against them if they swiped a saleable aspect of HIS design.

#8 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2730 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know all the legalities, if I have any legal right to my design concept shirt idea of the arrow extending from the collar using that exact cover of Hawkeye. But If I do let me know, if anyone out there thinks I do. I don't own the rights to the characters, the art, really its just the concept and design of the shirt using another artist's art.

But I am bummed out that it is being sold and I didn't get the job when I applied back then at welovefione...

also, if anyone wants to email superherostuff or FYE or Marvel or welovefine on my behalf... :D

Avatar image for transformers1024
#9 Edited by Transformers1024 (7600 posts) - - Show Bio

Well that must suck for you.

I also kinda want to buy that top Hawkeye shirt.

#10 Posted by Renchamp (7837 posts) - - Show Bio

@artisticneedham: That's the problem in dealing with other people's property. You took their image and positioned it on a white shirt, something that they do all the time. No court would ever award damages for that.

Most sites have express rules against hawking stuff that is protected by copyright. Honestly, posting your images online is a big way to open yourself to getting "ripped off" by the owners of the properties more easily.

Now, if they take something of yours that you can actually claim as your property - not just an idea but something actually reduced to a tangible medium that is 100% your brainchild - then you have an issue. Not so much in dealing with stuff you technically boosted to make your shirt.

#11 Edited by fiodestromus (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@artisticneedham said:

This is a T-Shirt mock up design I came up with while building a T-Shirt design portfolio to submit to WeLoveFine.com I posted it on January 21, 2014 to my deviantart page along with several of my other shirt/hoodie designs. I am not saying that someone took my design idea, but here they are:

I don't think they stole anything, just used that title. My concept was to have the Arrow and Clint extending down from the collar on a white shirt pointing to the name Hawkeye like on the comic. I didn't draw the image but WeLoveFine has a deal I think with Marvel and they use comic images on shirts all the time. It is also being sold at http://www.superherostuff.com/hawkeye/t-shirts/hawkeye-six-nights-30-single-t-shirt.html?itemcd=tshwkeysix Again I am not saying they ripped me off. Just that maybe they should have given me the job.

No Caption Provided

These are some of my other designs here:

http://needham-comics.deviantart.com/gallery/47779608/WeLoveFine-Portfolio?offset=24

And there is more I didn't post here, but i did post here: http://needham-comics.deviantart.com/gallery/47779608/WeLoveFine-Portfolio?offset=48

You have really nice designs

I do think you should get in contact with them

But in going to school (I go to the Art institute of Dallas) One of my instructors and alot of other of my instructors have told me to almost never post your designs that you think could be used commercially and proposed or in your personal portfolio ,because some one could steal your stuff and make a good case on why they didn't .

Basically a lot of what Renchamp has said, Now if this happens again you do have good reason to get in contact with them,cause that would mean they are just creating shirts out of Deviantart Portfolio .I would suggest a bit more protection in your work maybe produce your own lines of work that could border super hero like clothing wear.Another one of my instructors wanted to do this same thing and posted a couple of pictures(3-4) and then contacted Marvel on whether they would want some work done by him.

But I really do like your designs Especially the X-23 one(I want to where it even though I'm a guy XD) ,And the Black Bolt Design is screaming for me. You have alot of great designs gonna be watching you on Dev art now as well as following your CV

#12 Posted by DrF8 (3309 posts) - - Show Bio

i guess the aliens gave them your projects...

#13 Posted by TheBlondeGod (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@artisticneedham: Your designs are remarkable, I wish to buy some because I find difficulty finding awesome tees such as these. Either ways, you must let them know that you're the designer. An artist should be valued not robbed, or imitated.

#14 Posted by AwesomePerson (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you copyrighted your designs? If you have, even if you don't want to sue, I would contact them...