• 89 results
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Decept-O

DC 2099 #10 Contest winner Fennewalde asked if I could start this one for him.  He chose the DC character Terra to get the 2099 treatment.     Remember, this is taking a DC character and giving him, her or it a futuristic twist or "2099" treatment.   Check the DC 2099 Contest Winners thread for other examples.

Terra with the power to move the Earth and cause rocks to fly under her feet, is ( was) the brother of Geo-Force. She had a troubled history and was involved with Deathstroke the Terminator to help infiltrate the Teen Titans to cause some serious damage to the team.    

( Let's stay away from Atlee and just use Terra and/or her clone if you choose but really--same costume).    

EDIT:

Contest ends on Thursday, February 10th, 2011 @ 10:00PM CST, USA.

Voting starts sometime in the AM on  Friday, February 11th, 2011 CST, USA. 

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Decoy Elite

I turned Green Arrow into a tree, might turn her into rocks. 

darth bul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By darth bul

ill
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Decept-O
@Decoy Elite:
Anything's possible so let the imagination go!   

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Decept-O

Can this Contest get pinned back to the top when a Mod has the chance, please?
Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
@Decept-O: Done!
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Decept-O
@Icarusflies:
Thank You kindly.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By tonis
@Icarusflies said:
" @Decept-O: Done! "
truly a hero among vines :)
GODofART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By GODofART
@Decept-O: Where did you get that first picture from? I believe some one saw my art on my deviantART web site and stole it! Do you have a link to the artist so I can go and have a chat with him? Heres my picture: 
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@GODofART:
I believe it's from Blackest Night: Titans
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Magian
@Jake Fury said:
" @GODofART: I believe it's from Blackest Night: Titans "
Yup. Blackest Night: Titans #1.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tonis
@GODofART: wow, eerily similar, no doubt about that. 
But they are definitely two different artists take on the same thing. That's not necessarily 'stealing', which would be if they took your picture and used it. 

Worse you can accuse anyone of, is copying I suppose.
GODofART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GODofART
@Jake Fury:  @ComicMan24: What the heck is that? Ive never heard of it. So who's the artist? Did he any make money off of my idea? Or was it a non profit sort of thing?
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Magian
@GODofART: Benes drew that 3-issue miniseries.
GODofART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GODofART
@tonis: @ComicMan24:  Are you serious? So there's no legal action I can take against this "Benes" guy if he made a but load of money off of my idea? Now im scared of having all of my artwork online for everyone to see... I love deviantART... But I feel a bit cheated right now!
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Magian
@GODofART: I am afraid I don't know much about what happens in those situations.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tonis
@GODofART said:
" @tonis: @ComicMan24:  Are you serious? So there's no legal action I can take against this "Benes" guy if he made a but load of money off of my idea? Now im scared of having all of my artwork online for everyone to see... I love deviantART... But I feel a bit cheated right now! "
seriously, what are you gonna tell the lawyer who wants you to pay to take a case? 
They are composed alike, and very similar scenery where one could say it was clearly an influence somewhere. But is it an 'idea' a court is gonna say you own? 

I don't know, definitely not a lawyer and not saying this to burst any bubbles buddy, I just think about alls you might get out of it is some flattery of knowing you may have influenced someone else's creativity a little at some time. Don't stop yourself from putting your work out in fear people might copy ideas, that's short changing yourself.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

MitchW192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By MitchW192

Hey Guys, This is my first ever Submission. Also I'm pretty new to Comics as a whole and I picked this Contest at random. So feel free to shun it if it has no business being here. 

spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By spawndon
@GODofART: Mr Ed Benes has been around a looong time since the early 90s.
You can't really accuse him of anything... :c
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tonis
@MitchW192: got much business being here my friend, welcome :) 
great pic, bonus points with the power display using earth and I like the sporatic debris. Nice touch.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Decept-O
@GODofART:   Maybe you should contact DC comics or Ed Benes if that is the case.   Ed Benes is a talented artist and doubt he'd bother going to DeviantArt to "swipe" someone else's ideas.   When did you post your art?  Check when those issues of Teen Titans were published.  Also, just to add, it could simply be coincidental, and unintentional. 

@MitchW192:
I like that, nice action and pose.  I should remember to specify, though, that the DC 2099 Contest concept is for anyone to take the DC character and give him, her, or it, a "futuristic" change-over.   

This was user Caligula's initial idea, a bit of a play on terms.  Marvel Comics published several comic books years ago featuring their futuristic versions of characters, called "2099", set in the near future.  Like Spider-Man 2099.     What this Contest is doing, you take a DC character instead and make them futuristic, or "2099".    If you have any questions, please PM me or post in this Contest thread.  Just so you know what this Contest is about.   

You did a nice job, don't think I don't like what you did!

MitchW192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MitchW192
@tonis: Thanks Man, Much Appreciated. 

@Decept-O: OH Right. Thank you for the Explanation. I'll remember for the next contest!
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Decept-O
@MitchW192:
Its OK!  You can still submit another drawing!  Try as many as you'd like until you decide on the right one! 
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O: lol, actually forgot this was the 2099 one till you mentioned it :) 
She's gonna be a tough chick to really do much on the future theme. Changing her costume is about alls you can really do but it's not like this is a hero with a lotta fancy gadgets. These submissions that have come in are still legit entries even if they look like the current incarnation, correct? Has been the case in the past. 

Besides, how many voters are actually holding up the future tech as their choosing criteria. That's always all over the place. 

Well you still got time Mitch, throw a few upgrades to the costume and you'll have the 'future' :)
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis:
Well, this Contest heading does say "DC 2099".   Don't start getting forgetful like I have been lately; not good!  Well, this isn't up to me as I didn't win the last Contest nor chose the subject matter.   I am trying to explain   the Contest criteria.    

I think if an artist submits something and that is what they want to use guess that is their choice.  Although, frankly, Fennewalde should be the one to decide.   He just asked me to help him start this one.   Also, while Terra's costume is simple it leaves a lot open to a futuristic interpretation.   Decoy Elite had a great idea, if you read his comment on what he'd like to do.  Anything's possible. 

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O said:
" @tonis:
Well, this Contest heading does say "DC 2099".   Don't start getting forgetful like I have been lately; not good!  Well, this isn't up to me as I didn't win the last Contest nor chose the subject matter.   I am trying to explain   the Contest criteria.     I think if an artist submits something and that is what they want to use guess that is their choice.  Although, frankly, Fennewalde should be the one to decide.   He just asked me to help him start this one.   Also, while Terra's costume is simple it leaves a lot open to a futuristic interpretation.   Decoy Elite had a great idea, if you read his comment on what he'd like to do.  Anything's possible.   "
yea Decoy is good at coming up with them crazy ones

Still having a tough time visualizing the future though with this character, perhaps I need more research to know who she is. 
Seems with earth power and a skimpy suit your gonna be still sporting the same sexyness 100 years later without caring much about fashion trends :)
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis:
You're entitled to your opinion.  Are you going to enter something for this Contest?   Fennewalde came up with the choice, not me.   Who says it has to be something skimpy regarding her costume?  It can be anything.  You can even change her body, who is to say what someone can imagine.  That is what the DC 2099 seems to be about.   Maybe that is why Fennewalde chose her, a bit of a challenge.  Which I think is good.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O said:
" @tonis: You're entitled to your opinion.  Are you going to enter something for this Contest?   Fennewalde came up with the choice, not me.   Who says it has to be something skimpy regarding her costume?  It can be anything.  You can even change her body, who is to say what someone can imagine.  That is what the DC 2099 seems to be about.   Maybe that is why Fennewalde chose her, a bit of a challenge.  Which I think is good. "
Never gotta worry bout letting me know my entitlements buddy, you know I'd still have them even if they tried to take em away ;) 
I agree, it is more of a challenge than normal with a character like this. And to me, a challenge is always a good thing. 
Not sure though on entry here yet, shuffling a few workloads at moment that make predicting open time tough.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis:
A challenge, but one that is bound to be ....rock solid...for the winner. 
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O said:
" @tonis:
A challenge, but one that is bound to be ....rock solid...for the winner.  "
lol, bonus 2500XP for natural humor :)
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Decept-O
@Decoy Elite said:

"I turned Green Arrow into a tree, might turn her into rocks.  "

Letting you know right now I am going to incorporate something along those lines.  Wished you wouldn't have announced what your ideas were, maybe you had a reason for doing that.  Other artists might use it too, so honestly, don't be upset if someone uses a bit of that idea.   Good practice to keep your ideas to yourself, like I originally wanted to say, and should have said.    So I am going to do something that is along those lines but is NOT your idea.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O said:
" @Decoy Elite said:

"I turned Green Arrow into a tree, might turn her into rocks.  "

Letting you know right now I am going to incorporate something along those lines.  Wished you wouldn't have announced what your ideas were, maybe you had a reason for doing that.  Other artists might use it too, so honestly, don't be upset if someone uses a bit of that idea.   Good practice to keep your ideas to yourself, like I originally wanted to say, and should have said.    So I am going to do something that is along those lines but is NOT your idea. "
lol, your entitled to your wishes, but ideas are gonna spew out like a sneeze in the middle of a mountain dew :) 
sorry, had to try that entitlement trick, naaaaw, too static. 

Seriously though, people seem to be a little too caught up in 'idea' and who's who in the world of originality. Come on folks, we couldn't come up with a 'new' idea at this point in the game unless we reinvent the laws of physics. Things have been done, and now we're just refining in our own unique fashion.

It's been said there's 3 to 40 story themes that all else falls under. None of us can claim those, so how much do you wanna worry about your bastard mutant child that you pull from those and whether if you put it out there someones gonna steal it. 

Chances are, if your thinking of anything, thousands out there are on the same station with a different radio.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis:
Umm...OK.  No just saying I think he's creative but hoping that if I submit something along those lines he won't think I stole anything from him.  That is all.  I don't think he will, but I am treating him with respect as he usually seems to do the same.  I don't always grasp what he's saying or doing, same with you, ( nothing personal ), but just hoping my idea won't be too derivative of what he posted.   

Yes, although I have filtered a bit of what you said, and is something I've thought and said as well, is that artists, musicians, writers, poets, etc., they all are borrowing or swiping from one another to an extent, whether its intentionally or subconciously.  In fact I just saw a Tweet from Erik Larsen the other day and he said he shouldn't look at a certain artist's work because he ends up trying to mimic that artist.  He even pointed out that when he talks to Todd McFarlane that he ends up having the same inflections in his own voice and starts talking like him, as his wife points out.  We all have some degree of subconcious influence from each other.   

However, just wanted to let Decoy Elite know that, in my opinion, wished he wouldn't do that for reasons I already stated.   

We all can't live by your no rules philosophy, Tonis.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O: oh I wouldn't poo poo a good rule :) 
just can't woo woo a bad one either. 

Most important, the gray line between ones you have to follow versus one you should are the things we all have our internal processing system for. I'm personally for people throwing ideas out there if they got them, there are times it's useful for those seeking a little inspiration. :)
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis:
Sure, I understand you with that line of thought.  Just saying for this, here, probably not always a good practice to announce your idea(s) because like I said someone else might see it and use it, and accusations will result of "you stole my idea'.  Look at what GodofArt is trying to claim, for instance--he is saying Ed Benes stole his idea for that Teen Titans cover featuring Terra.  Whether that's the case is debatable, but an example nonetheless.   

This isn't Philosophy 101 or Sociology class, it is just a blasted Artist Forum on a comic book website.   I love ya, duder, but come on, just stating my opinion to Decoy, let him reply with his comment.  Not being hurtful. 
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O: your right, its an art forum and the current topic is a chick with earth powers. 
would be weird if any entry didn't have a rock theme to it in some fashion now wouldn't it?

no philosophy, sociology, or psychology needed to figure this out ;) 
In plain english I'd just flat out say why are you bothering to worry?
MitchW192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MitchW192
@Decept-O said:
" @tonis: Umm...OK.  No just saying I think he's creative but hoping that if I submit something along those lines he won't think I stole anything from him.  That is all.  I don't think he will, but I am treating him with respect as he usually seems to do the same.  I don't always grasp what he's saying or doing, same with you, ( nothing personal ), but just hoping my idea won't be too derivative of what he posted.    Yes, although I have filtered a bit of what you said, and is something I've thought and said as well, is that artists, musicians, writers, poets, etc., they all are borrowing or swiping from one another to an extent, whether its intentionally or subconciously.  In fact I just saw a Tweet from Erik Larsen the other day and he said he shouldn't look at a certain artist's work because he ends up trying to mimic that artist.  He even pointed out that when he talks to Todd McFarlane that he ends up having the same inflections in his own voice and starts talking like him, as his wife points out.  We all have some degree of subconcious influence from each other.    However, just wanted to let Decoy Elite know that, in my opinion, wished he wouldn't do that for reasons I already stated.    We all can't live by your no rules philosophy, Tonis. "

I've Heard about this, especially with Writers who've had there prose turned into a Movie. Some refuse to watch the end product in case it affects how they imagine their characters. 

@tonis said:
" @Decept-O: your right, its an art forum and the current topic is a chick with earth powers. would be weird if any entry didn't have a rock theme to it in some fashion now wouldn't it? no philosophy, sociology, or psychology needed to figure this out ;) In plain english I'd just flat out say why are you bothering to worry? "

Mere Co-incidence I think.  The guys drawing is dated Sept 2010. The Comic Came out in 2009 from what the page says, So its a Moot Point either way.  

I'll Upload my other Drawings for this contest Tomorrow. 
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tonis
@MitchW192: thanks you for seeing what I didn't want to actually point out less we miss who does or doesn't observe direct evidence as it appears.
Co-incidence is relative to it's vicinity within reason of it's potential impact ;)
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Decept-O
@MitchW192:  Regarding GodofArt and the coincidental thing,  that is what I was saying as well but didn't look up the dates for either case.  I was hoping he would do that but thanks.  
   @tonis: 
  I explained this already.  Just saying to Decoy, its cool he has a good idea, but save it for later and use it.  No point in announcing it so others might see it, they might use it.  That is it.   
I have something lined up and hope he doesn't think I stole anything from him, that is one thing.   Can we drop this already and let Decoy reply if that is OK? 

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O said:
" @MitchW192:  Regarding GodofArt and the coincidental thing,  that is what I was saying as well but didn't look up the dates for either case.  I was hoping he would do that but thanks.  
   @tonis:   I explained this already.  Just saying to Decoy, its cool he has a good idea, but save it for later and use it.  No point in announcing it so others might see it, they might use it.  That is it.   I have something lined up and hope he doesn't think I stole anything from him, that is one thing.   Can we drop this already and let Decoy reply if that is OK?   "
no need to explain my friend, I got your creativity, and know it's an original source with integrity ;) 
The irony I'm just musing on in all that is suggesting to Decoy not to unleash a thought that you're announcing you're gonna stab at is kinda a lotta the same thing. 
In the end, we could all come up with a rock chick and I'd be willing to bet, they'd be different enough that the best we'd conclude is it's all coming from the same ground ;)
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis:
OK.  It is amusing and ironic that I said that.   Again--come on--you're wearing me out here---is that whether its this contest or any other, maybe it is good practice not to announce what your idea is.  And again and again----someone might take that idea.  And whomever originated it in the first place might be upset.  I have pointed out all the instances why.    

Terra has rock manipulating powers but she isn't made out of rock.    That is what Decoy said he would do.  I am saying it is cool and in fact that was my initial response!  I am just adding maybe announcing ideas isn't a good practice.    

Please----can we drop this now and if Decoy wants to say anything let him and let me reply.  

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O said:
" @tonis: OK.  It is amusing and ironic that I said that.   Again--come on--you're wearing me out here---is that whether its this contest or any other, maybe it is good practice not to announce what your idea is.  And again and again----someone might take that idea.  And whomever originated it in the first place might be upset.  I have pointed out all the instances why.       Terra has rock manipulating powers but she isn't made out of rock.    That is what Decoy said he would do.  I am saying it is cool and in fact that was my initial response!  I am just adding maybe announcing ideas isn't a good practice.     Please----can we drop this now and if Decoy wants to say anything let him and let me reply.    "
I'd say it's a good practice to learn to have no fear of ideas, given or taken, cause we NEED imagination on both fronts these days. 
If someone wants to steal something, you better do it better, or someone else will.
Hows that for the keeping it simple in explanation ;)

I'm sure Decoys gonna probably shrug, and then cheer that there's a party to enjoy
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis:
Well, I don't steal. 
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O said:
" @tonis: Well, I don't steal.  "
the only people who worry about that are one's who are typically fighting a conscious. ;) (not saying you so don't go getting silly) 
I know you don't, but you gotta stop trying to prove that to everyone else, just makes people think you are if you press that stuff so much. 

They'll know with their eye's cause it's still the best judge when it comes to this whole 'stealing' ideas nonsense. 
With that, I can say, I am done for the night, hoping we see something fresh in 2099 :) 

night all, who woulda thunk the 2099 thread would have so much life today.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis: 
I don't appreciate that at all.  I am not getting silly.   That is something that really pisses me off.  I strive to be original.  That hurts that hurts quite a bit.     

It wasn't nonsense.  Other users are saying they have had issues with people swiping their work.  I am not the only one.   
spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By spawndon
@Decept-O:
one greatest challenge in 2099 contest is imagining the future, and that too, realistically. 
anyone can draw a variation of current incarnations of heroes and heroines, but then the 2099 really tests one's skills at originality. someone needs to keep almost abreast of cutting edge tech and their future prospects to have a good go at this contest. 

what do you think?
couzinit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By couzinit99

No Caption Provided
Here is my entry and here is the desription: 

After the world went to chaos in 2088, technology helped people realize the worth of old superheroes. Terra Markov was revealed to be one of the most powerful superheroes to have died in that era and a man and company to advantage of the technology. Terra was exhumed and cloned, yet she still had the memories of the original. She was being used to make the world in the image of an evil war lord. That is, until she escaped. Now Terra roams the universe destroying the man and his company while trying to keep her powers, and mental safety under control.  

HOPE EVERYONE LIKES :D
Fennewalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By Fennewalde

I think it's the other way around:  Comic artists have issues with people on this forum stealing their work. (as clearly evidenced by godofArt ripping that image of terra and then coming into the thread demanding justice and many, many, other 'artists' less blatant thieving on this site).

I wouldn't worry about users swiping ideas and work. Art shouldn't make you worry. Art should set you free.
 At the end of the day, the only person that sees things in your head the way that you do is oneself, and that is often the most original way to view things. 
 The world and the world of art is unforgiving. Everyone here needs to put their big boy pants on and get to work.

@spawndon:  yes.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Decept-O
@couzinit99:   I like that concept and art quite a bit.  Great interpretation here! 

@tonis:   This goes without saying but we can disagree, that is fine.  Same to Fennewalde.  OK, if I am wrong or in error, well I want to apologize but can't really say why I "need" to in this instance.  What I AM asking is for peeps to quit with the smart aleck and smarmy comments.  I treat most of you guys with respect, even if I question some things, at least on the Forums, I do.   You don't have to treat me with respect but at least take an effort to be nice and somewhat polite when replying, please.  I hope that isn't too much to ask.  Then again, I think perhaps some comments are intended to rile me up,  maybe I am wrong.  Just let up on me.  If you disagree, just say it.  You don't have to sugar coat anything but at the same time--come on dudes, quit being that way towards me.  

@Fennewalde:   Here we go.  I am not the one trying to be a jerk here or immature.   All I am saying, maybe announcing your idea isn't ideal, but hey, if artists want to do it, then fine, was just saying maybe doing it isn't always good.  My opinion.  Tonis is just getting at me for whatever reason and making my opinion more than what it is.   I am "wearing my big boy pants", and yes I agree art should be fun and expressive.    While some might disagree about whether or not announcing your ideas to create something is OK, I am just saying just maybe  it isn't always a good thing.  How many artists or creators announce their idea regarding what they will create prior to creating it?  Do comic book writers reveal all the details of their plots and ideas?  

Regarding the issue about being original, I agree with you 100% and is something I've noticed as well, and that is "artists" are simply copying and tracing over existing images and artwork and trying to call it their own.  No originality there.  

@spawndon:
Yes.  Keeping it original I think is what this contest seems to be about.