#1 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

AlrighT. I won one, finally, after 6 attempts and it may take another 6 attempts (or more) before I have any real idea of what I'm doing or any sort of method that I can stick with.

But this is what this contest is for... Tha LEARNIN'.

Before I let you in on what the contest is about this time I'm gonna let you in on some of the historical baggage these characters are coming at you with.

History

The Toad, after a final rejection from his former master, Magneto, attempted suicide. Spider-Man saved him. Toynbee then transferred his allegiance to Parker, going so far as to stage an assault on Parker so that he could play hero. In the ensuing chaos, Patilio (son of Leap-Frog) and Osnick came to Parker's aid to prove that they could become Spidey's sidekicks. Toynbee, Patilio, and Osnick realized that they had more in common with each other than with Parker, so they formed a group.

The three never appeared together again, so presumably the team broke up soon after it formed.

And The Contest Is...

The Contest is to draw a page or a few pages showing us why this particular super team never made it off the starting blocks. I wanna know what happened that was so bad that uncemented their bond?.

If you need more of a synopsis to work from though, you might want to try this one;

Toad and Frogman are boinging over the roof tops and Spider-Kid is using his metal legs to keep up. They are filled with happiness until some nasty girl guides call them all the "fattest ugliest bunch of super twats" they's ever seen. The boys' bubble is burs,t they over react and the team implodes theatrically.

Hope to have the great artists from previous contests on this and maybe some new ones too..

Contest will Run until the 31st of October. (Unless anyone needs an extension.)

PS. here are some more character images to save you all hunting trough the inter- networks for 'em.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

#2 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

Could you pin this contest for us, please, @bumpyboo?

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
#3 Posted by RamsIllustrations (2024 posts) - - Show Bio

@fiesty_badger6:

Looks Good man, interesting theme. My friend Kerry Gammill worked on these guys years ago.

#4 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow you really know Kerry Gammil, @ramsillustrations?. He was around when I was a kid... always a solid, inventive and fearless artist. AND his co-creation, Frog-Man, is among my all time favourite characters. If I got to play a superhero on Film Frog-Man would be my only choice

#5 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (1444 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. I know you said you liked these contests to be specific and you weren't kidding! lol

Can't wait to see how this one shakes out. Kudos on the win, you deserve it! :)

#6 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice will have to keep an eye out for this

#7 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

Well these Cranks are as specific or non specific as the artists want to make them, @zzombie13. The characters are chosen for you but whatever you want to do with them is entirely up to you...Hoping to see another entry from you here too, your first one wuz stellar.

N thanks @claymore1998.. always appreciate your positive input.

#8 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@fiesty_badger6: I have a tremendous amount of respect for artists, I've always had. Perhaps its because I can't draw but appreciate a good art so much. So hehe had to comment after all this is what i adore ^_^

#9 Posted by RamsIllustrations (2024 posts) - - Show Bio

@fiesty_badger6:

Yes, I met him when I was a kid and went to his house a couple of times. Super nice guy. Was helpful in mentoring me when I was younger. Last time I saw him was about a couple of years ago.

#10 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

You're lucky, @ramsillustrations. I've never even met anyone in person who draws comics. Not even for fun. I spoke to John Byrne online once in his forum and he seemed pretty cool and I've talked with Paul Smith online as well. Aside from those two...Nada. I felt pretty star struck talking to both of them. Shallow breathing while I was typing, kind of thing... brain freeze.

#11 Edited by RamsIllustrations (2024 posts) - - Show Bio

@fiesty_badger6:

I don't know anyone anymore other than Kerry, he lives about 2-3 hours from me. When I was a kid I took a class with Burne Hogarth and Gil Kane.

Met John Byrne too. What surprised me was he remembered me with no problem the second time I met him about a year or two later. He was kind enough to hand me some tabloid sized art xerox copies of some of his penciled art. I still have them somewhere, I will post so you can see them when I find them. :)

Found some for ya...

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

#12 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (1444 posts) - - Show Bio

The only comic book pros I've ever met in real life was just at conventions.

Back in the 90's, before the Crow movie came out, I met James O'Barr. It was the first time I had ever met a for reals comic artist in the real world. And he was a total prick. :(

About the only one I'd even want to meet now would be Sam Keith, and only to gush a bit and tell him what his work has meant to me over the years.

#13 Edited by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

EARLY dRAFT.

No Caption Provided

#14 Edited by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

OKEEE... Doesn't look like this month is quite gonna be reachin' the depth of fielded entries that the last round drew in... Still, I do know Rams is still working on his and I'm still going hell for leather on mine (sort of) So I'll extend the deadline another fortnight.... So we gallant few... We noble few, stragglers can walk ourselves over the finish line, IN COMFORT

Psst Script... Here be me ferst panel....

No Caption Provided

#15 Edited by RamsIllustrations (2024 posts) - - Show Bio

@fiesty_badger6:

No Caption Provided

Well I hope this is understandable. Bed time and its time to get the voting started and onto the next Crank contest. :p

#16 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

These look incredible thus far

#17 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

thankee there @claymore1998, we sure do try.

That's definitely a big deal havin' the misfits ruin the awning of the TMNT's favourite pizza parlour. Def end in tears n another great entry there @ramsillustrations.

But since no-one's asked for more time I'll do as you say and post the voting thread . Here's my full page.

No Caption Provided

#18 Posted by RamsIllustrations (2024 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet I I don't @ramsillustrations. But in the unlikely off chance I do... you was roobed, man. ROBBED!!!

#20 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@fiesty_badger6: Hehe sorry if I sound like a broken record but you are most welcome ^_^