Costume Contest # 129 VOTING!!!

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 EGoD  Moderator

Here are the entries for the Madelyne Prior aka Goblin Queen costume contest. Names are below the entry - voting will go for a few days.

bries84
bries84

dragonspine
dragonspine

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2 shatterstar  Moderator

Both nicely done, gonna go with dragonspine

xNahtebx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

bries84

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 EGoD  Moderator

Voting has been up for a week so I guess I'll use my vote to cast the tie breaker on these well done entries. Congrats to @dragonspine

Avatar image for deactivated-60e7a5c633643
deactivated-60e7a5c633643

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks, everyone. I'll try to get the next costume contest up by Wednesday.

TheCount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheCount

Both are good. Dragonspine, is that just drawn or did you use cutouts? I like the style anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecount said:

Both are good. Dragonspine, is that just drawn or did you use cutouts? I like the style anyway.

Thanks! My process is more complicated than it needs to be, to be honest. First, I sketch with normal pencil and paper. Then I scan it onto my computer and clean it up with Windows Paint. At this stage I try to get the proportions right and fix any other obvious, non-stylistic issues. Next I print the more polished image on paper and the real fun begins. Sometimes I make more changes at this stage, like the shape of the eyes or mouth, or even the direction that the form is facing. If I make drastic changes it's back to Windows Paint for more cleaning up. But if there aren't any major changes, I'll ink the image using both fine tip (Micron, Staedtler or Pilot Razor Point II) and brush pens (Tombow). Then I scan the image again so that I can color it and add effects using Corel Painter Lite. Lastly, I'll print the colored image and add a few more details. I occasionally use my scanner's document scanning tools to enhance the image. For example, I used both Corel Painter's brush tool coupled with my scanner's contrast feature to make the sheerness of Maddy's blouse more pronounced than it was when I first colored it.

TheCount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonspine: There's definitely a lesson here for me. I appreciate you sharing your process brother.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecount said:

@dragonspine: There's definitely a lesson here for me. I appreciate you sharing your process brother.

No problem, glad to help!

Most of what I do with my pen, paper and printer/scanner can easily be achieved using layers in any of the more common graphics software packages that are on the market (Adobe photoshop, Manga Studio, Corel paintshop, etc., etc.). I just can't bring myself to completely give up the old tried and true pencil and paper. You can teach an old dog new tricks, but that won't stop him from going back to that old chew toy that he's been gnawing on for years. Ha ha