#1 Edited by Decept-O (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

These are two inked illustrations I did for my comic book story, "The Adventures of Doc Strong". The story does appear in the Fan Fiction section but I've since revised it and published it in a 'zine which I sent out to a few people.

Just thought I'd post them here for the heck of it.

One is of my version of "Doc" Tobias Strong in his underwater cavern exploratory suit, and the other is of a Lava Man mutant.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

#2 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

Not bad I went to the fan fic section when I joined to look at comic art but it seemed to just be short stories. Maybe someone needs to revive that "crank those panels" comp. Sequential art is what comics are about after all.

#3 Edited by Decept-O (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@fiesty_badger6: Thanks.

These were for a zine which I handed out to people I know and those who asked. The stories I posted in the Fan Fic are my original comic book stories. Not all comic book stories "have" to be sequential art. I am currently working on two sequential comic books with a few published comic book artists by the way. My "Adventures of Doc Strong" text comic leads into these.

There are and have been plenty of comic book stories that are text with just a few illustrations. These have appeared since the Golden Age of comics. There is a comic book publishing company called Airship 27, ran by Ron Fortier. His comics are generally pulp in style but are comic book style stories with a few illustrations for the interior, usually just one panel or two panel set-ups per page.

You can also visit the Comic Books Plus website, which is dedicated to public domain comics and find more examples of what I am talking about there regarding text stories from the Golden Age.

My rambling aside, it wouldn't be bad to see "Crank Those Panels" again but I don't think many people have the time to devote to it, even though they run a month or so. Although it is good practice for aspiring artists. Maybe you should post a Poll and ask if people want it to return?

#4 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a good idea, @decept_o. I'm not saying that comics aren't comics if they have less intuitive image transitions, or less pictures. I actually feel a bit cheated by comics that have page after page of imagery with no story assist given by the writer on them. But I'm mainly a fan of great sequential storytelling art. "It's my favourite sort of Art done by my favourite sort of artists because it shows these particular artist's versatility and talent." - Is probably what I should have said.

PS. I'll start the query thread now.

#5 Posted by Decept-O (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@fiesty_badger6: No problemo I just wanted to mention there are comics that are single panel per page with prose instead of the traditional sequential art. Not giving you grief just wanted to let you know about it. In the Fan Fiction, that is a forum for some aspiring writers to get a feel for writing comics, even if they aren't the traditional sequential variety. Dat's alls.

#6 Posted by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't offended, don't worry. Maybe when I've gotten my skills up a bit might try swinging by the fan fiction thread and try to do a team-up with a writer, maybe.