• 78 results
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IcePrince_X

Inspired by DC Vertigo's The Sandman series by award winning writer Neil Gaiman, this is our chance to create a new formed sibling out of the seven now existing. 

Here is a brief description of the Endless taken from Comic Vine itself: 

The Endless are seven, seven siblings that embody seven different aspects, they have been described by one of their number as ideas, such as dreams and desires or concepts such as destiny and death or even feelings like despair and delight.    

I believe they are one of the best rendered and styled characters of abstract nature.  

Some inspiration Art: 

------------------------------------------- 

The Task: Create a Sibling of the Endless. 

• A good story is a must but it must start with the cliche that this is their long lost sibling ;-) 
  • The sibling can either be an idea, a concept or a feeling but must be personified. 
  • Any medium and art style is accepted.

Deadline is on December 23. 
Good luck guys! 

No Caption Provided
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O
@IcePrince_X:
A top-notch idea and very creative suggestion.  Well done!  Looking forward to it.  Congrats by the way!
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By IcePrince_X

your welcome Decept-O 

Looking for ward for your entry :-)

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O said:
" @IcePrince_X: A top-notch idea and very creative suggestion.  Well done!  Looking forward to it.  Congrats by the way! "
agreed, there's a LOT of room for crazy imagination. 
Now, what kind of bastard emotional hybrid can I get them to procreate. This is gonna be a thinker.
Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

I approve of this contest!

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IcePrince_X

@tonis, Icarusflies 

glad you like this. 
if i am right, thinking of an abstract turned person is really a creative challenge in itself. it can't be too obvious or too far-out, which I believe Neil Gaiman was able to achieve in his series, needless rendered well by the artists of his series as well. 

Rock on dudes!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sora_thekey
@IcePrince_X: I like the idea... but for some reason it sounds to me like Endless are just DC's Seven Dwarfs! 
frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By frischdvh

*Thumbs Up* Hey are you gonna make it a rule that the name of our entry start with D?
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By IcePrince_X

@FrishDVH 

since this is a long lost sibling, we can make that exception that is why "our" created character is not really much recognized or acknowledge by the Endless. 

@ sora_thekey 

LOL

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LT1085
@sora_thekey said:
" @IcePrince_X: I like the idea... but for some reason it sounds to me like Endless are just DC's Seven Dwarfs!  "
Reminds me more of Army of Darkness: Home Sweet Hell, where the seven deadly sins are personified 
@IcePrince_X:  Nice. This is open to creative interpretation and will probably get a percentage of the users who see this interested enough to check out some new books. I'll try and find some time for this one for sure. 
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IcePrince_X

Can this be a possible sibling? 

No Caption Provided
just kidding 
but emily does look like one of them
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Decept-O
@IcePrince_X:
Ha Ha!  How strange you'd mention her.  :)
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Decept-O

The art is still a bit of a rough draft.   Here is my character and her bio: 

The forgotten sibling of The Endless, this is DETAINMENT.   

The Endless are not yet aware of her existence as she was removed from their knowledge, having been created prior to Destiny and the rest of The Endless.  Her role is that she will be The One to detain all of The Endless when there will be an unnamed upheaval.  Even Destiny is unaware of this event.   

DETAINMENT's mouth is currently sewn shut and is filled with the blood of innocent mortals who have been slain by evil entities.  Her mouth is sewn shut to prevent her from accidentally speaking, which would both reveal her existence to her siblings, The Endless,  and also she'd spill the blood prematurely.  The blood is what grants her power.   

DETAINMENT will wrap chains about her siblings during the unnamed upheaval, as they will begin fighting amongst themselves as well as interfere with mortals.  Also Death will become powerless at this time and DETAINMENT will be the only one to control her, as no other entity can control Death.  Detainment's hold over Death will be temporary, however, as will be ordained.   

DETAINMENT has monitored and will continue to monitor The Endless' actions.  She resides on an Isle of Isolation away from all space and time.  She cannot be interfered.   

Destiny was the one who stumbled upon her existence, but Destiny has not been able to mention her existence nor act upon the knowledge.  As a result of the discovery,  Destiny is now blind and also cannot speak, as the unnamed upheaval is now set in motion.....
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IcePrince_X

Scary but cool... love the story and art Decept-O.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Decept-O
@IcePrince_X:
Thanks.  Hope this meets your criteria.
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IcePrince_X

Hit the mark bro! 

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O: whoa, super creepy sexy all bundled into one page. The sewn up mouth just weirds me out totally (in a good way) 
Great description and backstory also, compliments the visuals well.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis:   Thank You, Sir!  I am  adding more details to the art.  Glad you and IcePrince_X got that reaction. 
@IcePrince_X:
Ok, thanks for that.   

payno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By payno
DEBAUCHERY  

(Daughter of Desire

de·bauch·ery ( dē bôc̸hər ē, di-)  
1. extreme indulgence in sensual pleasures; dissipation 
2. orgies 
3.(Archaic) seduction from morality

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tonis
@payno: now that's a great one from you. Love it. How's she gonna drink her wine though, through her nose?
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By IcePrince_X

Payno... wow! her looks really speaks of volume. 
Love the simple but complexity of this character.

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By EGoD  Moderator

Okay, here is my entry, hope I did this right. 

Divine  - Divinity related to holiness and angelic and otherworldy. 

Divine's birth and origin isn't exactly known, just that the blood of The Endless flows through his veins.  Divine can transcend each level of being and apear as who or what he wants.  Divine is cursed with blindness, only able to see when he uses his ability over divinity, also he retains any memories or emotions that are taken from another.  His mind is filled with thoughts of others and has driven him close to insanity.  Divine currently teaters on complete madness and burns himself with a cross to purify his soul, his body healing instantly.  He can alter a persons inner soul.   He exists as a neutral entity for divinity, so it is unsure of what holiness he will bring to ones soul.  He generally keeps his hands in his pockets since they are tainted with blood.  Divine's extreme reaction to use his skill on another is to go in through the person's eyes.

His pendant is of two snakes twisted around a vial that contains his soul to prevent it from being tainted by his actions.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tonis
@EGoD: I can't tell if I love the image or the extremely deep human thought behind the concept more. Very well implemented mentally and visually. 
The self torture and hands in pockets is quite creative psychologically.
EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EGoD  Moderator
@tonis:
Wow thanks, drawing him was easy, coming up with the character bios was a bit more work, but I love to torture, er a tortured character.  I think we can all say that so far the entries for this contest have been really well done.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tonis
@EGoD said:
" @tonis: Wow thanks, drawing him was easy, coming up with the character bios was a bit more work, but I love to torture, er a tortured character.  I think we can all say that so far the entries for this contest have been really well done. "
yea, Ice picked one that is perfect for exercising the imagination more so than just making muscles and fists. I really like how all the write-ups are being approached, it's a great example of what this particular contest should bring to the board. 
p.s. - I'm a sucker for torturing, er, tortured souls myself :)
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sora_thekey

Awesome entries so far... I finished mine, but my scanner is not working so I can't submit it. 
I really know nothing about the Endless and who they are, so my "Endless" creation will just be an idea I got an created a character out of the idea.

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EGoD  Moderator
@sora_thekey: 
Dude, you don't have a camera or a camera phone?  What century do you live in, haha

@tonis:

lol.
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By IcePrince_X

Wow! Nice entries guys! 

EGoD... your character's origin story is mind blowing! I agree with what the others say about him. 

@Sora_thekey 
 would you want me to extend a bit the deadline for you to catch up? I am curious what your is. 

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Decept-O

I hope this Contest stays open until the 19th at least.    

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sora_thekey
@EGoD said:
" @sora_thekey: 
Dude, you don't have a camera or a camera phone?  What century do you live in, haha "
My camera phone is under .5 mp... So I don't think it would help! 

@IcePrince_X said:
" @Sora_thekey  would you want me to extend a bit the deadline for you to catch up? I am curious what your is. "
Yes Please :D
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Decept-O

OK, this is my official entry, completed from my rough draft from the first entry on the first page.   

Here is my original  character and bio again:   

The forgotten sibling of The Endless, this is DETAINMENT.   

The Endless are not yet aware of her existence as she was removed from their knowledge, having been created prior to Destiny and the rest of The Endless.  Her role is that she will be The One to detain all of The Endless when there will be an unnamed upheaval.  Even Destiny is unaware of this event.   

DETAINMENT's mouth is currently sewn shut and is filled with the blood of innocent mortals who have been slain by evil entities.  Her mouth is sewn shut to prevent her from accidentally speaking, which would both reveal her existence to her siblings, The Endless,  and also she'd spill the blood prematurely.  The blood is what grants her power.   

DETAINMENT will wrap chains about her siblings during the unnamed upheaval, as they will begin fighting amongst themselves as well as interfere with mortals.  Also Death will become powerless at this time and DETAINMENT will be the only one to control her, as no other entity can control Death.  Detainment's hold over Death will be temporary, however, as will be ordained.   

DETAINMENT has monitored and will continue to monitor The Endless' actions.  She resides on an Isle of Isolation away from all space and time.  She cannot be interfered.   

Destiny was the one who stumbled upon her existence, but Destiny has not been able to mention her existence nor act upon the knowledge.  As a result of the discovery,  Destiny is now blind and also cannot speak, as the unnamed upheaval is now set in motion.....    
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By IcePrince_X

nice rendition Decept-O. love the way that you colored this piece 
 ----------------------- 

Guys and gals, for the Spirit of the Holidays (hmmm.... not bad for a character for this contest) 
I will extend just a bit for other members who might want their Endless character be seen and read here. 
New deadline is December 23, 2010. 

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Decept-O
@IcePrince_X:
Thank You I appreciate that.  I hope more artists enter.
MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By MuadDiab

My first time entering one of these. Great idea. 
Here's my one. 

No Caption Provided
Doom: 
The lost Endless sibling, Doom's essence and power destroyed him upon coming into existence. He rebuilt himself over time in a different universe, hidden and unbeknownst to the others. He resides in that universe with plans to take over it and then all others. His ultimate goal is to control the power of the seven endless. 
He is the essence of impending and unavoidable Doom on all life and existence. 
MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MuadDiab

And another one (but not as good I think) 

No Caption Provided
Ditto: the essence of what all life shares and has in common. Ditto's life however is plagued. For all the worlds in which the endless have seen, there is a negative of each, unknown to them and all beings, except Ditto. Ditto is trapped alone in these realms, the only being of existence. He has a direct connection to each of the endless, a connection they are not aware of and is like each of them in so many ways, but it is this combination of spirits and wills that makes him different. 
Ditto spends his time shifting through empty realms and worlds sharing the thoughts and memories of his siblings
LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LT1085
@MuadDiab said:
" My first time entering one of these. Great idea. 
Here's my one. 

No Caption Provided
Doom: The lost Endless sibling, Doom's essence and power destroyed him upon coming into existence. He rebuilt himself over time in a different universe, hidden and unbeknownst to the others. He resides in that universe with plans to take over it and then all others. His ultimate goal is to control the power of the seven endless. He is the essence of impending and unavoidable Doom on all life and existence.  "
This is the character creation contest and this is already a character. No offense, but if this was my contest, I would disqualify this entry.
MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MuadDiab
@LT1085: Well if no one thinks it's kinda clever like i did, no one has to pick mine. I'd probably go with the divine design tbh though, fits into it well
LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LT1085
@MuadDiab said:

" @LT1085: Well if no one thinks it's kinda clever like i did, no one has to pick mine. I'd probably go with the divine design tbh though, fits into it well "

I'm just letting you know for future contests. I like your second entry a lot more(than your first) and I think  you should go with that one. Oh, and the voting doesn't matter until the contest is closed. 
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tonis
@MuadDiab said:
" @LT1085: Well if no one thinks it's kinda clever like i did, no one has to pick mine. I'd probably go with the divine design tbh though, fits into it well "
I'd go with the ditto, much more creative ;)
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By IcePrince_X

@MuadDiab 
:-) LOL at "your" first ever entry... I see your humor in getting Doom, much appreciated how you see the lighter side of things and welcome to the Artist Show-Off contest. But I guess, you already have Ditto in mind as your first entry,  

Thus, Ditto will be the one I will use for the voting thread...besides Ditto is very much attuned to what the Endless is and very much Neil Gaiman-ish.   

@LT1085 
Thanks for guiding MuadDiab through our contest guidelines.

MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MuadDiab

@tonis @IcePrince_X :
 Thanks guys, suppose i'll go with the ditto design then 

for anyone that's interested some of my stuff is at pencilandthedamagedone, not particularly proud of most of it at the moment though. 
Should be revamping the site and entries early next year. did a cool sinestro one thats on my own page actually

thegeminidream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By thegeminidream

I'm sorry...if that thing above us is considered art and shows simple tales of bondage and erotic pain   
and half breasts showing in cartoon form then my mild version of Death holding her brothers skull Morpheus cannot be flagged.   

***Nudity Warning Do Not Click Without Adult Supervision***

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Decept-O
@thegeminidream:
Whose piece are you referring to?     

You bring up an interesting point, despite that, and in the Guidelines I don't think I see any mention of nudity.  HOWEVER I think it is assumed we aren't supposed to show any?  

I have bothered Mods way too much,  so perhaps one can jump in and give a statement about the nudity issue.

Also this Contest is about creating a new character, a new sibling for The Endless.  You state your submission is your rendition of the character Death, who already exists as one of The Endless.   

Not being a jerk just filling you in.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O said:
" @thegeminidream: Whose piece are you referring to?      You bring up an interesting point, despite that, and in the Guidelines I don't think I see any mention of nudity.  HOWEVER I think it is assumed we aren't supposed to show any?     I have bothered Mods way too much,  so perhaps one can jump in and give a statement about the nudity issue.  Also this Contest is about creating a new character, a new sibling for The Endless.  You state your submission is your rendition of the character Death, who already exists as one of The Endless.    Not being a jerk just filling you in.   "
I got no issues with nudity, although being a comic site with a wide range of audience you could see there being issues. As for the whole it's death thing, and she's already a character. Simply make a new write up saying it's deaths daughter. Not like death has a specific look anyway. If the nipples are a big deal, a little cross patch of tape used to get the strippers by with the local nudity laws :) 

Anyway, nice image gemini, always dig Egyptian themes. Considering what others have done with their write ups on their submissions I'd do more on that, with the character creation contest just slapping up a pic comes off as kind of uncreative effort no matter what the work ends up looking like. Kind of ballsy going with the naked chick, but hey, I'll admit I look for every chance I can to use one too. Given this contests theme, especially if it's death, I woulda made her pregnant. Maternal nudity is one of those few exceptions often accepted in art forms without being considered unsuitable. (probably still freaks some guys out though :)
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By IcePrince_X

A tasteful nudity is okay but I will not risk it since we are in a site where younger people can access it. If I am right, in one of our artist show-off contest some moderators have reservations in showing too much graphic representation of the female form.

MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MuadDiab

I think he was just trying to make a point about the debauchery character deign though

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tonis
@MuadDiab said:
" I think he was just trying to make a point about the debauchery character deign though "
not much of a point to make there, it is what it is. Payno did a great job on that one, and it's extremely different for his work compared to his regular submissions. It also fits perfect with that characters bio. 
If the point is there's adult oriented themes on occasions in some submissions, I think all the adults out there already figured that out. It's finding the creative way to present it to the targeted audience. 

And of course, knowing who and what is in that audience, and how it's likely to be interpreted.
MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MuadDiab

i suppose sandman itself is for a mature audience, so........

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EGoD  Moderator

I'm not sure which picture is being pointed out with nudity, or what is exactly going on, but let's not forget that one of The Endless characters herself is a large naked woman, which is also seen in one of the pictures that was used as a reference for this contest, so I don't see the issue as long as its not graphic.  The image gemini has up there is tasteful and by no means over and above what you see with The Endless anyway.  

I am gonna add though, that this is Ice's contest and he does have the say in what is allowed in the contest and if he doesn't feel comfortable with a nude submission then that should be respected.

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By IcePrince_X

For the record: 
I don't mind nudity but we have to do it very subtle and done artistically so it doesn't come across as just exposing body parts or just for shock value. I don't mind also, sexually based characters or savage ones since the Endless is representing but human nature, abstract among other things, we are lucky we get to explain our characters here. 

I do believe in artistic freedom and expression but creativity must be applied so that even with restrictions you will be able to show what want to show and express. 

Payno's concept and even gemini's example, is okay with me. Though gemini's entry will not be considered as we are looking for a lost sibling of the endless and not the already present ones.